Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Postcodes to be introduced

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

MBSnr wrote: »
    By what's the point now? It's happening - everyone posting here against it will achieve nothing.

I am not opposed to many things, but I am opposed to stupid decisions.

I thought that introducing the Luas using the non-Irish gauge was stupid, and continuing with that to suggest the Metro North project continue with it were not wise decisions. If they had stuck with the 1.6m gauge, then it would be possible to upgrade parts of the Luas line to Dart trains, or use existing lines for Luas trams. It was done to save a few shillings on rolling stock.

I think building the Clongriffin-Airport spur is a good thing as it is cheap and could be built quickly. I am also in favour of MN and DU.

Eircode was designed as it is to provide a revenue stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

yuloni wrote: »

Really - you put that forward as a reason not to have them? A comprehensive study of people's opinions that.... These are the people who post in the comments section, "Ah but sur the postman knows were me house is anyhows"...

Completely missing the point of having a postcode that identifies the property. (Regardless of the format/randomness of the postcode which is another discussion entirely).

I am not opposed to many things, but I am opposed to stupid decisions.

I thought that introducing the Luas using the non-Irish gauge was stupid, and continuing with that to suggest the Metro North project continue with it were not wise decisions. If they had stuck with the 1.6m gauge, then it would be possible to upgrade parts of the Luas line to Dart trains, or use existing lines for Luas trams. It was done to save a few shillings on rolling stock.

I think building the Clongriffin-Airport spur is a good thing as it is cheap and could be built quickly. I am also in favour of MN and DU.

Eircode was designed as it is to provide a revenue stream.

Good for you.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, but you got them. Oppose away all you like. Just don't let me catch you sneakily entering one into your Sat Nav....... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭plodder

plodder wrote: »
    Does anyone know what happened to the legislation that was promised and was supposedly needed for this? Are they going ahead without it? Or did I miss it being enacted?
    Anyone know about this?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I seem to have missed your proposed solution that addressed all of everyone's concerns without any need to compromise in any way.

Which is?

• Advertisement

But you're confident that your preferred solution wouldn't require anyone to compromise in any way? It perfectly and flawlessly addresses every single requirement and concern that all parties could possibly reasonably expect of a postcode?

So if someone provides you with an Eircode so you can find their business or house, you'd ignore it and use your own solution? Likewise, if asked for your Eircode, would you leave it blank or use IE0001 instead?

Seriously how far are you going to go with this? Seems extreme to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

The answer is yes. It has been tried and tested in daily use in various sectors for over 5 years now. A powerful, tested and working coding system brings endless possibilities

eircode on the other hand couldn't even meet the basic requirements laid out by the Government's own Postcode Working Group

It doesn't have a database. It can't do address validation. It is completely independent of our national address. That's a MAJOR flaw of the code you are talking about. And yes you could add it to a database. But you are claiming it's perfect as is. It's not. And adding to a database would be crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

ukoda wrote: »
    And adding to a database would be crazy.
    But adding a random number (I wouldn't even call it a code) to a database is not crazy??

Who wants it?

Banking industry
    Utilities
    Retailers
    Call centres
    Delivery companies (at least the ones with a clue)
    Insurance sector
    Online retailers

The list is endless

This is the problem I said earlier. People can't look beyond the fact that a postcode has to serve many purposes

recedite wrote: »
    But adding a random number (I wouldn't even call it a code) to a database is not crazy??

You'd end up with validated codes and user generated codes. Offical code v's a random one generated. It would be chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭TheBustedFlush

oscarBravo wrote: »
    But you're confident that your preferred solution wouldn't require anyone to compromise in any way? It perfectly and flawlessly addresses every single requirement and concern that all parties could possibly reasonably expect of a postcode?

I simply don't believe this. There are plenty of shortcomings and arguments that would indicate otherwise.

• Advertisement

In your opinion. But my opinion is that loc8 can only serve one purpose and would not be a sufficient national postcode.

I put in W8L-82-4YK in google maps on the PC....
    Loc8
    12 Central Square
    Liverpool L31 0AE
    United Kingdom

I was expecting Co Cork...

So I put in
    W8L824YK
    Co. Laois...

What am I missing with the Google Maps integration?

Be interesting to see if Eircode is integrated into Google maps in the browser. If it is I *wonder* which one I'll use?

Great! Can you explain how it gets around the problem of one address possibly having several valid postcodes?

Neither for now eh? Loc8 has been out a while - yrs I think. Let's see if Eircode is integrated in to Google Maps.

If so, which do you think might prove the more popular and widely used address location code?

So a database of all the postal codes that could possibly match an address (leaving aside the fact that my garage is a separate polygon on OSI, and as such would have a different set of matching postcodes while still being at the same address) rather than a database of one postcode per address.

Yeah, that sounds like a much more elegant solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭plodder

The other problem for loc8 et al, is individual codes for units in an apartment block. Though that requirement came out of left field, late in the day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement