Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Postcodes to be introduced

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

I have asked my company a few years ago to use Loc8, but the declined. The one thing you may not be aware of is the types of people who live in rural areas.
    Many people do not have a clue how to work modern devices. Other than FB, and the phone book. Especially older folk.

On websites that sell stock of any kind, it has to be user friendly and easy to check out on. Sellers know, if they put speed bumps like trying to find coordinates or the like, the customer will get frustrated and shop somewhere else. This is a fact.
    So make it an optional field. Do you require a phone number before you'll accept an order, or is that an optional field too?

And it's probably just as well that you don't mention your employer - some of your elderly, rural customers might be a bit offended that you consider them morons. Especially the ones who have rooted their phones and installed cyanogen :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Bayberry wrote: »
    So make it an optional field. Do you require a phone number before you'll accept an order, or is that an optional field too?

Look it's a great idea but really... consider for a second an optional field for a Loc8 code you generate yourself. As we have already established no one bar a tiny percentage has heard of Loc8, let alone knows their Loc8 code. Couple to that a probability that the code could be wrongly generated and the benefits are slipping away.

I'm not sure who you are trying to convince here exactly. This *optional* Loc8 field will remain blank in nearly all on line transaction instances. However a mandatory postcode field (even without checking - as in you could just enter IE001) would statistically generate a greater number of correct entries as people enter their assigned Eircode - one that they didn't have to generate or lookup.

MBSnr wrote: »
    The point that I think you are missing is that each house will be informed of their Eircode. Had Loc8 individually sent each postal address their own Loc8 code then, perhaps, it would be more widely known, commonly referenced and in general use - more so than it is at present anyhow.
    I'm not missing anything - I'm simply pointing out the undisputed fact that people are refusing to use a code that they already know about, and these are people who have self identified as having a problem with messed up deliveries.

I'm absolutely convinced that lots of people who might benefit from using eircodes (those who don't live in towns with unique addresses) will have forgotten their eircode by December when they go online to buy presents, and if the only place that they see it is on their water bill and other government communications, there'll be a significant cohort who will be reluctant to give it to private companies (exactly the same sort of people that can't figure out how to look up their own Loc8, probably).

Obviously, if you spend €10 million to advertise and disseminate a code to every postbox in the country, more people will know about it than if you rely on word of mouth by the tiny number of people who are actually inconvenienced by the lack of such a code to spread the word. But it won't change the nature of people. People who we are told will actively resist any attempt to create a system of unique addresses, people who we are told aren't quite smart enough to look up their location on an online map, people who we are told are inherently cute whoors who don't want "the man" to know their business.

But no bother! They'll take to eircodes like ducks to water!

Look it's a great idea but really... consider for a second an optional field for a Loc8 code you generate yourself. As we have already established no one bar a tiny percentage has heard of Loc8, let alone knows their Loc8 code. Couple to that a probability that the code could be wrongly generated and the benefits are slipping away.
    Nobody had heard of twitter or facebook until people started to provide links to them. You have no idea how many of your customers either know their Loc8 code, or are smart enough to figure it out, because you haven't asked them.
    I'm not sure who you are trying to convince here exactly. This *optional* Loc8 field will remain blank in nearly all on line transaction instances. However a mandatory postcode field (even without checking - as in you could just enter IE001) would statistically generate a greater number of correct entries as people enter their assigned Eircode - one that they didn't have to generate or lookup.
    Statistically, the vast majority of your deliveries can be completed without any code at all. And statistically there will be vastly more incorrect mandatory eircode entries than optional Loc8 codes entry (even people who want to give your their eircide will occassionally transpose digits, and there is no checksum in the code). As it's only incorrect entries that cost you extra money, then your own statistics indicate that a mandatory eircode field will cost you more than an optional Loc8 code.

A mandatory field that you can't complete an order without filling in will cost you orders. Given that the vast majority of your orders can be delivered without an eircode (even today, without codes, the vast majority of rural deliveries are completed successfully) how many orders are you prepared to decline because people can't or won't enter their eircode.

It seems perverse to refuse to ask for a Loc8 code that people who have a problem getting stuff delivered will be motivated to provide, on the off chance that some people will get it wrong, but insist on an eircode, and either explicitly tell people that they can put any old rubbish in, or turn their business down.

I'm not missing anything - I'm simply pointing out the undisputed fact that people are refusing to use a code that they already know about, and these are people who have self identified as having a problem with messed up deliveries.

Agreed there are some - Seriously though what is the % here of people involved in this? It's tiny and I fail to see what your ongoing point is? Is it that those in the past with messed up deliveries have only themselves to blame? Or is it that we should all continue to push to use Loc8 in place of Eircode?
    I'm absolutely convinced that lots of people who might benefit from using eircodes (those who don't live in towns with unique addresses) will have forgotten their eircode by December when they go online to buy presents, and if the only place that they see it is on their water bill and other government communications, there'll be a significant cohort who will be reluctant to give it to private companies (exactly the same sort of people that can't figure out how to look up their own Loc8, probably).

People only buy online at Xmas - right... seriously? This is your argument for what again exactly? Not having Eircodes?
    Also interesting take on it. They would give their full address but not their postcode to a private company - esp. for goods that are being delivered. Really? It's possible but again what % here - small?
    Obviously, if you spend €10 million to advertise and disseminate a code to every postbox in the country, more people will know about it than if you rely on word of mouth by the tiny number of people who are actually inconvenienced by the lack of such a code to spread the word. But it won't change the nature of people. People who we are told will actively resist any attempt to create a system of unique addresses, people who we are told aren't quite smart enough to look up their location on an online map, people who we are told are inherently cute whoors who don't want "the man" to know their business.

So are you going to use it then?

• Advertisement

Will you use it (move on and accept it is what it is), reluctantly use it, or not bother at all?
    I won't bother, except when I have to renew my car tax, where I anticipate that I won't be allowed to complete the online form without it (for no good technical reason) but I doubt that any commercial body will refuse to accept my money without my eircode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

And it's probably just as well that you don't mention your employer - some of your elderly, rural customers might be a bit offended that you consider them morons. Especially the ones who have rooted their phones and installed cyanogen :-)

Bayberry, Why so much hostility?
    People know their phone numbers. If you ask them what Loc8 is they will won't have a clue. Why would they?

And I at no point have I called anyone a moron. Why would you say that?:eek:

Most people may not be as tech savvy as you. Especially people not brought up with computers or new to the internet.

If people get a new post code sent to them by post, and its backed by advertising by the government , it will stick.

Regardless of the tales of wow..

Roll on Eircode;)

I won't bother, except when I have to renew my car tax, where I anticipate that I won't be allowed to complete the online form without it (for no good technical reason) but I doubt that any commercial body will refuse to accept my money without my eircode.

Excellent - thanks for answering.

I believe however that you will no doubt end up using it more than you imply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

So here's a genuine question. ..
    Will you use it (move on and accept it is what it is), reluctantly use it, or not bother at all?
    I'm expecting eircode to be mandatory for such things as property tax and water charges and other bills, so I will use it for any such official dealings. There is no choice there, because it will be the official PPS number for houses. That is, after all the legislation gets through the Oireactas, (which seems unlikely to happen before they take their long holidays)

If I want to go somewhere that is difficult to find, I'll continue to look up the loc8 map, generate the code, and input into a sat-nav. This is because I find it easier and more reliable than finding out the full set of co-ordinates from the google map, or using the national grid system on OSI maps. Also I can generate one off codes for any place at all, on land or water, not just houses.
    There was a poster earlier in the thread who said he wouldn't use Eircode in his Sat Nav (I infer from that to mean even if it supported it) as he had another solution (Loc8). Interesting take on it. I'd imagine he'll have to get the Eircode, use a PC to find the location, go to Loc8 website and get the matching Loc8 code, then enter this into the Sat Nav all before he left the house. Not sure what he'd do if out and about and given an Eircode. I'm not sure I believe he won't use it.
    Can't say I noticed that particular post, maybe you picked up the meaning wrong?
    Current sat-navs would not be capable of navigating to a destination using just the eircode. But if they were, and if he had the eircode but not the loc8 code, it would not make sense to translate one into the other. Both would be relying on the same geo co-ordinates anyway. Loc8 encodes them directly and verifies them with a checksum. Eircode looks them up indirectly on a database.

So are you going to use it then?
    I don't need it - I live in Dublin, and have never had a delivery delayed because of problems finding my adress.

So the government will spend somewhere between €15 and €50 generating an eircode for my address, and updating all sorts of computer systems across the public service. It's not currently clear to me how this benefits me - it's clear that the "not really that small area code" non-random part of the address isn't small enough to help with statistical planning, eircodes won't replace any of the competing systems in any of these existing databases. None of the potential commercial benefits that people suggest eircode will deliver apply either, because an eircode doesn't contain any useful innate information, it can only be used as a key to lookup a database entry, and my current unique address does that job equally well (with the added advantage that a character transposition won't screw everything up - the system can spot and correct Mian St for Main St, but it can't spot and correct A23-7TG4 for A22-7TG4).

Part of the problem, of course is the weird culture of secrecy in the Irish political system, so even after all this time we still don't know all sorts of stuff about how eircodes will be used. or the rationale for some of the choices made. We had a similar situation with the e-voting machines, with politicians making commercial decisions behind closed doors, refusing to engage with knowledgable and/or interested parties who have concerns about the implementation, refusing to explain the clear contradictions between the requirements identified by earlier working groups and the current design. Any such questions are just stonewalled.

Then we have the bizarre insistence on a "big bang" public launch (my eircode already exists, and has been in recorded in various databases for months now, but for no obvious tecnhical reason, I can't look it up. The 139 small areas ), and the confused message on Data Privacy. Nobody seems to know if small developers will be able to create apps that use Eircode. If that's an issue for discussion, how does Irish society benefit from having that discussion behind closed doors? If it's just a discussion about price, the taxpayer deserves to know that we're spending a bucketload of money to implement a system that is too expensive to deliver some of the potential advantages of a postcode (for example postcodes aren't needed for post in Dublin, but maybe fast food restaurants that deliver might benefit. But they won't pay €3500 a year for it, and entering every call that comes in to Google Maps to see if it's within their delivery area won't fly. Assuming that Google will actually implement eircode lookups, which everyone seems to think is a foregone conclusion).

Eircodes will cost about the same mount of money as e-voting machines. And they're more likely to smoulder away into insignificance, than explode catastrophically the way e-voting machines did. But they exhibit exactly the same shambolic attitude to developing public infrastructure that bedivils Irish life.

Abutshur, it's better than nothing (which apparently is now the attitude of Nightline, who were being espoused as an example of a commercial company that are huge fans of eircode, but that's another thread altogether!)

• Advertisement

The one thing you may not be aware of is the types of people who live in rural areas.
    Many people do not have a clue how to work modern devices. Other than FB, and the phone book. Especially older folk.

That's why.

I don't need it - I live in Dublin, and have never had a delivery delayed because of problems finding my adress.

Don't need and not use are different things surely?

Imagine if a friend of yours moved house and it was a tricky place to find out in the rural wilds. They give you the Eircode (along with the vague townland address) and your mobile device/Sat Nav can use Eircode. What will you do - convert to Loc8 1st or use the Eircode your device supports?

You see the 'blind' refusal to use Eircode, maybe not yourself perhaps, as you may concede to using it in the above situation, just completely mystifies me. Which is why I sneakily think it's mostly all rhetoric by many in their opposing Eircode on these grandiose scales.

Unfortunately the rest of your post, although very concise and with valid points, just repeats the same argument as posters previously. It doesn't change anything, nor make any difference. Please just accept (if you haven't already) that they are going to give you an Eircode regardless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Bayberry, Why so much hostility?
    People know their phone numbers. If you ask them what Loc8 is they will won't have a clue. Why would they?

Most people may not be as tech savvy as you. Especially people not brought up with computers or new to the internet.

If people get a new post code sent to them by post, and its backed by advertising by the government , it will stick.

Regardless of the tales of wow..

Roll on Eircode;)

Don't worry, some posters will argue against regardless, maybe they have a vested interest and see their financial gain running into the sand, or they're just random cranks.
    Meanwhile, here's a fluffy kitten:

Don't need and not use are different things surely?

Imagine if a friend of yours moved house and it was a tricky place to find out in the rural wilds. They give you the Eircode (along with the vague townland address) and your mobile device/Sat Nav can use Eircode. What will you do - convert to Loc8 1st or use the Eircode your device supports?
    My friend who moves house won't know his eircode unless he looks it up - the previous occupier certainly won't leave the letter that he got from eircode when it was launched sitting on the mantelpiece for him to find.

As of now, we have absolutely no idea how easy it'll be to look-up an eircode. Maybe you won't be able to stand at your own front door and ask your phone to connect to the eircode database and see what eircode has been assigned to your current GPS location. (Why wouldn't you be able to do that, you ask? Because it's eircode, and nobody knows why various bizarre decisions have been made - or if they do know, they won't discuss it in public). But we can be fairly certain that it won't be any easier than looking up his Loc8 code.

Will I be bloody-minded about it and refuse to visit my friend because he'll only tell me his eircode (6 weeks after he moves in, and finally gets his letter from Crapita informing him what his eircode is)? No more than he'll be bloody minded about refusing to lookup his Loc8 code when I tell him that I can use it on my Garmin. And so can all his other friends and family.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

My friend who moves house won't know his eircode unless he looks it up - the previous occupier certainly won't leave the letter that he got from eircode when it was launched sitting on the mantelpiece for him to find.
    Yeah, it's highly unlikely there's going to be any mention on a lease or contract of sale of the eircode, nor on any utility bill. :eek:

As of now, we have absolutely no idea how easy it'll be to look-up an eircode. Maybe you won't be able to stand at your own front door and ask your phone to connect to the eircode database and see what eircode has been assigned to your current GPS location. (Why wouldn't you be able to do that, you ask? Because it's eircode, and nobody knows why various bizarre decisions have been made - or if they do know, they won't discuss it in public). But we can be fairly certain that it won't be any easier than looking up his Loc8 code.

Will I be bloody-minded about it and refuse to visit my friend because he'll only tell me his eircode (6 weeks after he moves in, and finally gets his letter from Crapita informing him what his eircode is)? No more than he'll be bloody minded about refusing to lookup his Loc8 code when I tell him that I can use it on my Garmin. And so can all his other friends and family.

Let's hope he doesn't get told he has 5 wks to live!

You remember my post "it's mostly all rhetoric by many in their opposing Eircode on these grandiose scales." Thanks for confirming I wasn't far wrong :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

The thing I'm trying to get at, though, is that you seem to be refusing to try Loc8 out now that you do know about it. When you get one of those calls asking for directions, you don't start the conversation by asking "Do you have a Garmin? Try this code". You don't ask "If I give you my Loc8 code, do you know how to use it?". If they can, great, you just saved yourself 10 minutes, if they can't, you've only used 15 seconds. Depending on how rushed things are when the guy arrives, you could take a minute to show him how to use Loc8.

Loc8 is a pretty niche application - in any given week the number of people frustrated by delayed deliveries numbers hundreds in the whole country. So it's not that surprising that it doesn't come up in the pub that often, or get discussed while people are waiting outside the school to pick up the kids. Nobody calls Joe to complain about "this sort of thing in this day and age". So it's never going to spread like wildfire. I'm just surprised at the not just reluctance, but the active refusal of people to spread the word about Loc8, even when they have described real situations in their life that would be improved by the use of Loc8.

Note that I live and work in the suburbs of Dublin, so I have a unique address (except in Irish - on the very, very, very rare occasion that someone uses the Irish version of my street address, it turns out that there's another street that uses the same word in Irish!). And I switched to a Windows phone a while back, and Loc8 doesn't have a Windows app, so I would have to use the website (which isn't optimized for use on a mobile) to navigate to a Loc8 destination. But given that nobody has claimed that Loc8 codes don't work, just that people refuse to use them, I'm also a bit surprised at peoples optimism about the use of eircodes.

Eircodes will be used because they'll be easy to remember, because people will get a lot of mail with the eircodes on them and because they'll be backed by a publicity campaign.

We should have post codes. Certainly. If Eircode is to be scrapped, it would be for a redesign the way Minister Brennan did with the dreadful roadsigns that DCC put in place. They were redesigned and replaced.

But we should have addresses that can be determined by people - without having to have a computer with internet access to find it. Not everyone has a smart phone, and not everyone has access to the internet at all times. However, everyone should be able to find an address. The Eircode design is random, Imagine trying to find a house on a road where the houses numbers were not only randomly arranged, but the road changed name randomly as you walked down it. Nobody could help you either, because they do not know where anyone else is either.

Will Eicode postcodes be accepted as legal addresses in court cases to do with property. Do they define a property or just a letterbox? [Serious question].

I sold a flat in Scotland a few years ago. The title deeds described the flat as being the ground floor flat at the north-west corner of the building located at xx Street, Anytown, Scotland XX1 1ZZ and included a small location map based on the official Ordnance Survey maps.

This is standard practice when real estate is bought and sold (or created - e.g. new block of flats in former field) in the UK.

So the short answer to your question is that eircodes may form part of the legal description of a property but only part. More precise narrative descriptions and maps will still be needed for many legal purposes, including the transfer or creation of property or property rights.

People *have* taken to postcodes like ducks to water in the UK.

I know my current UK postcode off by heart and I remember all my previous postcodes.

It's often one of the first pieces of identifying information I'm asked for when I phone a state agency, whether it be my local council or the tax office, or when I ask for an insurance quote either online or by phone, whether it be for home insurance or car insurance.

I'm also asked for it by every single utilities provider and every single time I buy something online or over the phone.

Even takeaways ask for your postcode when you make an order for delivery.

Your postcode is one of the ways that your credit or debit card is confirmed for remote (online or phone) transactions.

It's become a normal part of life in the UK to know and use your postcode regularly. I don't see how it's likely to be much different in Ireland.

It's become a normal part of life in the UK to know and use your postcode regularly. I don't see how it's likely to be much different in Ireland.

Exactly my thoughts. Apparently, I was informed, that most will have forgotten it by Christmas - so there is that issue of concern.

Please ask me in December if I can remember mine, as I doubt I'd have needed to enter my address ANYWHERE in the last x months since getting the code. In the highly unlikely event that I have forgotten it, I could, I dunno, look it up in my Amazon address book, my email account and the countless other places I'd have probably entered it.

But do ask before the Xmas parties start though.... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,479 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i think the big worry about loc8 codes is its going to suffer badly when the eircode comes in.

if you dont want to use eircode you dont have to its optional.

The added benefits of the eircode will cut down alot of things hence i think alot of people are not going to happen.

- Social welfare fraud.
    - Tax evasion
    - Insurance fraud.
    - Miss delivery on mail, A wedding invite from the USA had the wrong estate name on and spent weeks floating around dublin being redirected. A eirocde on the invite wouldnt have seen that happen.

They've had postcodes for 50 years in the UK. Their postcodes contain information about a relatively small geographic area, so, for example, a fast food delivery agency or even local council can make a quick decision about whether to continue the transaction before even getting to your actual address - and UK post codes don't point at an individual address, so your PostCode is useless for actually poinpointing your house, you have to give the address as well (though in 95%+ of cases your house number plus your postcode is sufficient, because of the redundancy in the system).

They use ZIP codes for credit card validation at "gas pumps" in the US, but that won't work for eircode - the "postal town" part of eircode is too big to make this useful, and the full eircode is too detailed (and you can't enter alphanumerics on a numberpad, but that's another issue).

The implication is that the lack of a postcode is costing Irish businesses money, but the only concrete examples given are deliveries, and nobody in the delivery business thinks that Eircode is a good solution (An Post have made it clear that it's of no value to them, but that they'll happily add it to their systems, as long as the taxpayer pays for it, as it won't save An Post any money, Nightline have said "ah sure, it's better than nothing", and the rest of them have taken the position that it will cost them far more to implement than any benefit they'd get from it). If eircode has done any analysis indicating how any other business sector wll benefit, they're keeping mighty quiet about it - (unless they have done the analysis, and that's why their keeping quiet). Many of the suggested benefits for the Insurance industry, for example, were only true up to 20 years ago - now that converting a street address to a geo-code is fairly trivial, you don't need to pay for access to a database that allows you to look at someone elses conversion from an eircode to a geocode.

Postal codes have many uses. Most of those uses are based on the ability to map a postcode to a specific geo-graphic location. Eircode has been designed to deliberately obfuscate that process. We'll end up spending more to support a sub-optimal system, and that will significantly hinder the adoption of Postcodes in Ireland. So far, the willingness of the Government to throw money at the problem of adoption seems to be about the only thing going for it!

And you're all just fine with that :-)

irishgeo wrote: »
    i think the big worry about loc8 codes is its going to suffer badly when the eircode comes in.

if you dont want to use eircode you dont have to its optional.

The added benefits of the eircode will cut down alot of things hence i think alot of people are not going to happen.

- Social welfare fraud.
    - Tax evasion
    - Insurance fraud.
    Are you suggesting that there's no S/W fraud, tax evasion or insurance fraud in Dublin, where we already have unique street addresses?

How exactly will eircode make a blind bit of difference to any of these issues in Dublin, or Cork city, or Athlone, or Tralee? (Hint - it won't). And in one area where it might potentially have been useful (agricultural grants and subsidies) it's useless, because that bit of woodland on the side of the hill won't have an eircode.
    - Miss delivery on mail, A wedding invite from the USA had the wrong estate name on and spent weeks floating around dublin being redirected. A eirocde on the invite wouldnt have seen that happen.
    Somebody puts the wrong information on an envelope, and it gets delayed, Whoda thunk it!!! And magically, this same person won't make any mistakes with eircodes?

Right.....

yuloni wrote: »
    If anything, the publicity around eircodes might benefit alternative systems, if callers to Joe point out that you can use a Loc8 to meet your friends in the Phoenix Park, but you can't use eircode, or that a farmer can use a loc8 code to have a load of hay delivered to a remote field, but not an eircode. One caller to Joe Duffy explaining how he had the Loc8 app on his phone and he was able to get the ambulance to the crash site easily and quickly would make for an interesting conversation. (I have no idea if the emergency services are set up to do this - but they could be if they Government hadn't made such bizarre decisions about the design of eircode).

There are absolutely zero technical barriers to the adoption of Loc8 codes now - even 5 years ago, not enough people had mobile phones to make lookups as straghtforward as they are today. Social media is an unpredictable beast - if the governments publicity campaign for eircode manages to alert people to the potential benefits of postal codes, and at the same time word spreads about the downsides of the actual eircode implementation, people might pay attention to the alternatives.

I think I read somewhere on this thread that An Post has added Loc8 codes to the GeoDirectory. I wonder has anyone ever tried to send an envelope addressed to
    Pat Murphy
    LOC8: XYZ-AB-PQR
    Co Whatever?

If/when eircodes are finally introduced, it might be interesting to try sending letters with just Loc8 codes and just eircodes, and see what happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Eircodes will be used because they'll be easy to remember, because people will get a lot of mail with the eircodes on them and because they'll be backed by a publicity campaign.

Lived in the North for 3 years, could never remember my postcode beyond BT5* *** which told me I lived in the west of Northern Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,479 ✭✭✭irishgeo

yuloni wrote: »

What about the pro loc8 mafia?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement