Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Postcodes to be introduced

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

irishgeo wrote: »
    how much do they make back on advertising knowing what each person searches for in the world.

Google AdWords.
    If you have a company, try to get it number one on Google and you will know. That's what its all about. Maps is so you can then get right to the front door of the premises. All in one.
    In the beginning people were laughing at the idea that a search engine will ever make money.
    Small businesses thinking of x in and y out immediately doesn't apply. Google played a blinder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

If Google are already providing the map platform, then maybe they don't have to buy their way in. Even if no money changed hands, its still a mutually beneficial arrangement between Capita/eircode and Google.
    Google gets the data. Eircode gets some functionality.
    If the eircodes weren't imbedded on google maps, what use would they be on launch day? They cannot be used on a sat nav without some mechanism for uploading the entire eircode database of addresses onto it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭plodder

recedite wrote: »
    If Google are already providing the map platform, then maybe they don't have to buy their way in. Even if no money changed hands, its still a mutually beneficial arrangement between Capita/eircode and Google.
    Google gets the data. Eircode gets some functionality.
    If the eircodes weren't imbedded on google maps, what use would they be on launch day? They cannot be used on a sat nav without some mechanism for uploading the entire eircode database of addresses onto it.
    We'll wait and see I suppose. They could get into legal problems if they provided the data on special terms to google, which weren't available to other customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

plodder wrote: »
    We'll wait and see I suppose. They could get into legal problems if they provided the data on special terms to google, which weren't available to other customers.

If they were smart....they'd give it to all the navigation companies for free

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The problem is that if they give it to Google et al on attractive terms, what good reason is there for anybody else to pay for it? As I understand it, the Google Maps API seems to give 2500 free lookups a day. There will be very little incentive for anybody to pay for their own Eircode licence when that is available.

This is why it would have been a lot more sensible to develop a free-at-the-point-of-use model for eircode. The idea of charging for access to an address database belongs firmly in 1999.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭a65b2cd

Does anyone know how the Eircode finder tool will work. Presumably you are matching an Eircode or an address against the Eircode database? Input an Eircode and it will show you the address and link it with the database X/Y to map it?

A lot of organisations will be more interested in the address rather than the location so the database is needed for that e.g. public sector, insurance companies, etc.

If the Eircode finder tool is available on day 1 then those interested won't have to wait a few weeks during the delivery phase.

Realistically speaking it won't make a difference to 99% of situations in Ireland.
    Most people (including couriers) manage to completely get lost on the way to my house with the aid of a Google pin and maps and I wager it won't be any different with my Eircode and Google maps.

Realistically speaking it won't make a difference to 99% of situations in Ireland.
    Most people (including couriers) manage to completely get lost on the way to my house with the aid of a Google pin and maps and I wager it won't be any different with my Eircode and Google maps.
    They need a satnav with a voice like Tommy Tiernan.

"Turn back! you've missed the junction, yer feckin eejit!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

Is there any indication yet what date the president will be doing the signing? I'm trying to figure out if the five days being referred to is normal business days or calendar days.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

byrnefm wrote: »
    Is there any indication yet what date the president will be doing the signing? I'm trying to figure out if the five days being referred to is normal business days or calendar days.

Next Wed according to this article - http://postandparcel.info/65982/news/the-sooner-eircode-is-introduced-the-better-says-nightline-ceo/

Limerick Leader article on Eircodes - http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/business/business-news/eircodes-to-be-introduced-to-limerick-in-coming-weeks-1-6832460

• Advertisement

The Cush wrote: »

So that Limerick leader article says people were told wether it was usable on Google and sat navs.... But what were they told?! Yes or no!

ukoda wrote: »
    So that Limerick leader article says people were told wether it was usable on Google and sat navs.... But what were they told?! Yes or no!

Provincial journalism at it's finest.

Representatives of Eircode were in Limerick for a Chamber breakfast at the Clarion Hotel.
    They answered questions from business people on the roll-out of the system, whether it will be usable on Google Maps and Sat-Nav car systems, and how it can help in situations where the emergency services are being called.
    In fairness to the journalists, it could be that they fell asleep when the answers to the questions were being given, but more likely the eircode marketing guy gave politician style answers that were full of "positivity" but not so full of substance.
    I mean, he would hardly just say out straight "No, they won't work on your sat-nav. But someday, they might work on some future version of a sat-nav".

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I've visions of a Vicky Pollard type reply
    hqdefault.jpg

Another week, another new location code..

BarryM wrote: »
    Does not seem to have any State backing, but aimed at the general public in UK and USA.
    It would be ironic if it took off in those countries, and then people started using it here.
    Considering that the original Irish version has been up and running for several years now, but never got the political approval which would have allowed it to flourish and possibly be exported to those countries.

Getting a bit crowed now alright.

I'm not sure how popular these things will be, I mean I've a iPhone and I can share my location once off with someone or I can choose to let them always know my location, I never really use it, whatapps allows a similar feature of pin dropping and I don't need to mess around with codes. I can drop a pin on google maps now and hit the share button and give anyone any location in the world. A code seems a bit unnecessary to me, when we think that the Internet of things is going to connect all our devices

Does not seem to have any State backing, but aimed at the general public in UK and USA.
    It would be ironic if it took off in those countries, and then people started using it here.
    Considering that the original Irish version has been up and running for several years now, but never got the political approval which would have allowed it to flourish and possibly be exported to those countries.

Loc8 got government funding via the IDA. They haven't flourish because of their own mismanagement.

The only thing they seem to flourish at are smear campaigns.

Postcodes must be like buses so...

• Advertisement

ukoda wrote: »
    I can drop a pin on google maps now and hit the share button and give anyone any location in the world.
    Right, but a location code is more versatile, in that you can also tell it to someone in conversation, or write it down, without needing the hyperlink of a google pin (or access to the database look-up of an eircode).

But also you can give a location code as a hyperlink, linking to a viewable map. And also you can make it less precise if you want, only giving away your general location to within a few Km.

So for various reasons, its quite possible that some version of a location code will eventually come into popular use worldwide. And such things usually start in the US or UK, spreading from there.

And such things usually start in the US or UK, spreading from there.

We've had it in Ireland for 5 years, and they squandered it. Could have taken on the world.

The only victory they can claim is they managed to talk Garmin into putting the code on thier devices. But sure no one but a tiny minority even know what a loc8 is, anyone any usage stats for loc8 code on Garmin devices? No? I bet it's low

Oh and their other victory they seem to tweet about is that there's a church and gym that put their loc8 on their website. Wow.

Loc8 had a 5 year head start on any other location code and they messed it up. Now they seem to operate exclusively as Twitter trolls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Considering you can already shorten a Google Map URL down to :

(GPO Dublin)
    https://goo.gl/maps/hWthf

It's not that hard to direct someone to a link on Google Maps either via your website or via a text / MMS / iMessage / Skype etc

I do it all the time and it has the added advantage of automatically either coming up on the web, or launching Google maps apps on iPhones, Androids etc.

I know it's tied down to Google and I know it's actually a database reference, and there's some tracking going on and extraction of usable data, but it's handier than keying alphanumeric codes and much easier to share and I suspect it's how people will tend to do things, no matter what.

URL.ie or anyone could do this too, complete with a scannable QR code you can display on your site / print on posters etc.

Mapping really isn't all that hard anymore and free online tools are pretty much ubiquitous.

Also, like it or not, Google is utterly dominant in this area, far more so than Garmin and TomTom and that's just going to continue.

Even Apple's map service is struggling to pull people away from Google Maps on iOS and there was uproar when they tried to semi-force it on people. Google Maps is just a top notch product, it's not even anything to do with competition. It's just a fantastic resource.

I actually keep a copy of my home address with a URL to a Google maps location in my messages on my phone so I can send it to lost couriers / visitors and it works brilliantly every time.

It's sort of rendering most of these things rather redundant before they even get off the ground.

Likewise, what's to stop Google launching a Google Code that translates a Google Maps location with an algorithm ?

Bear in mind that Google already has "Place IDs" which are a similar concept to Eircode really, built into Google Maps.

They're just a LOT longer as they work globally and aren't designed to be processed by humans directly on paper: https://developers.google.com/places/place-id

It certainly opens up lots of possibilities for building apps using combinations of eircodes and Google APIs

SpaceTime wrote: »

(GPO Dublin)

It's not that hard to direct someone to a link on Google Maps either via your website or via a text / MMS / iMessage / Skype etc

I do it all the time and it has the added advantage of automatically either coming up on the web, or launching Google maps apps on iPhones, Androids etc.

I know it's tied down to Google and I know it's actually a database reference, and there's some tracking going on and extraction of usable data, but it's handier than keying alphanumeric codes and much easier to share and I suspect it's how people will tend to do things, no matter what.

URL.ie or anyone could do this too, complete with a scannable QR code you can display on your site / print on posters etc.

Mapping really isn't all that hard anymore and free online tools are pretty much ubiquitous.

Also, like it or not, Google is utterly dominant in this area, far more so than Garmin and TomTom and that's just going to continue.

Even Apple's map service is struggling to pull people away from Google Maps on iOS and there was uproar when they tried to semi-force it on people. Google Maps is just a top notch product, it's not even anything to do with competition. It's just a fantastic resource.

I actually keep a copy of my home address with a URL to a Google maps location in my messages on my phone so I can send it to lost couriers / visitors and it works brilliantly every time.

It's sort of rendering most of these things rather redundant before they even get off the ground.

Likewise, what's to stop Google launching a Google Code that translates a Google Maps location with an algorithm ?

Bear in mind that Google already has "Place IDs" which are a similar concept to Eircode really, built into Google Maps.

They're just a LOT longer as they work globally and aren't designed to be processed by humans directly on paper: https://developers.google.com/places/place-id
    True. I'm surprised they haven't done it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ManAboutCouch

True. I'm surprised they haven't done it already.

They have: http://plus.codes/

SpaceTime wrote: »

(GPO Dublin)

Interesting, I didnt know that.
    How did you get that reference from the google map, is it an app? If I click on a spot on the map I only see the full GPS co-ordinates.

If your house has a BER Certificate, you should be able to see your eircode here. It seems they have been busy cross-referencing all the certs and the MPRN numbers with the new eircodes.

That should be quite useful to the property tax people too, as there is quite a bit of information there including the floor area, the year it was built etc.. which combined with location, would give a good estimate of its actual value.

Interesting, I didnt know that.
    How did you get that reference from the google map, is it an app? If I click on a spot on the map I only see the full GPS co-ordinates.

It's the standard link you get on the google maps app for phones, drop a pin, click on the info bar at the bottom and click Share, no matter what option you choose to use to share it, it uses the short URL link

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tvc15

If your house has a BER Certificate, you should be able to see your eircode here. It seems they have been busy cross-referencing all the certs and the MPRN numbers with the new eircodes.

That should be quite useful to the property tax people too, as there is quite a bit of information there including the floor area, the year it was built etc.. which combined with location, would give a good estimate of its actual value.

They leaked! Thousands of BER numbers on all adds on daft- blackpool in cork gets T23 no 'C' prefix for the langers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

tvc15 wrote: »
    They leaked! Thousands of BER numbers on all adds on daft- blackpool in cork gets T23 no 'C' prefix for the langers!

Found this one for Limerick, Castletroy V94 WNY2. None for my local area yet

21ufpz.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement