Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Postcodes to be introduced

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Dardania wrote: »
    So my house has a BER, and a couple of neighbours have sold their houses in the last year or two. I managed to find the BER cert for the neighhbour 10 houses away from me, and their postcode (the last 4 characters, after first three characters which are the same) is quite different to mine - pretty annonymised
    That's how it works. The first 3 are the routing code, and the last 4 are totally random.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Blackrock in Dublin is A94 anyway.
    I think Greystones in Co. Wicklow was A26. So a nearby area, which is in a different county, can sometimes be similar, though not always.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The areas with the same first letter should be sort-of adjacent, but the routing code areas are said to be very odd shapes.

It is all arranged the way to suit the An post sorting frames apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

Trouwe Ier wrote: »
    So to date, we know the following:

A - South East Dublin (probably the most affluent part of the Republic and it gets "A")
    C -
    D - Dublin
    E -
    F -
    H - Galway
    K - Co. Dublin (part)
    N - Longford and Westmeath
    P - Deep South Cork
    R - Laois and Offaly
    T - Cork City and East Hinterland
    V - Limerick
    W -
    X - Waterford
    Y -

C,. E, F, W and Y are left.

Does anyone have any information on the north-west, north east, south-east, Clare, Tipperary or Kerry?

I'll say it again, Blackrock and presumably Dún Laoghaire, Foxrock etc get "A": now that does sound suspicious to me. It would probably have been better if they hadn't used that letter.

Ennis, Co. Clare is also V(95). My parents live in Roscommon but their post is in the Longford district and they're N. Union hall in West Cork is P81.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

Stillorgan, like Blackrock, was A94.

BTW saw this mentioned in a post on another website - are the new Eircodes now signed into law? Date given is July 2: http://www.irisoifigiuil.ie/currentissues/IR070715.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

A - South East Dublin (probably the most affluent part of the Republic and it gets "A")
    D - Dublin
    H - Galway
    K - Co. Dublin (part)
    P - Deep South Cork
    V - Limerick
    X - Waterford

I think that leaves C, E, F, N, R, W, Y.
    I looked at some houses in Boyle that had F54 as far as I can remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭OssianSmyth

I'll say it again, Blackrock and presumably Dún Laoghaire, Foxrock etc get "A":
    Foxrock is D18!
    Booterstown, Mount Merrion, Stillorgan, Blackrock, Monkstown are A94
    Dún Laoghaire, Dalkey, Sallynoggin are A96

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Deedsie wrote: »
    Tipperary is E

This is an Eircode from Nenagh: E45 WT##

WT is random so, only first 3 characters actually matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

byrnefm wrote: »
    BTW saw this mentioned in a post on another website - are the new Eircodes now signed into law? Date given is July 2: http://www.irisoifigiuil.ie/currentissues/IR070715.pdf

Here's the notice, yes it's law since last Thursday, Act Number 20 of 2015

2cqe9zp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Trouwe Ier

The Cush wrote: »
    Here's the notice, yes it's law since last Thursday
    2cqe9zp.jpg

Everything bi-lingual except the actual title of the Act itself: so Irish!

So there's nothing to stop the launch now except booking the advertising!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,547 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The following letters will be used in the Eircode

A,C,D,E,F,H,K,N,P,R,T,V,W,X,Y

no B, G, I, J, L, M, O, Q, S, U, Z

I can understand B (8), I (1), J (I), O (0), Q (0), S (5), Z (2) being confused with numbers but G, L, M, U?

Maybe M/N and U/W sound verbally similar?
    What about G and L?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The Cush wrote: »
    The following letters will be used in the Eircode

A,C,D,E,F,H,K,N,P,R,T,V,W,X,Y

no B, G, I, J, L, M, O, Q, S, U, Z

I can understand B (8), I (1), J (I), O (0), Q (0), S (5), Z (2) being confused with numbers but G, L, M, U?

Maybe M/N and U/W sound verbally similar?
    What about G and L?

Could be because in handwriting they can look like 6 and 4

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jack180570

ukoda wrote: »
    Loc8 got government funding via the IDA. They haven't flourish because of their own mismanagement.

The only thing they seem to flourish at are smear campaigns.

Ukoda, you clearly are either (1) misinformed (2) have a vested interest in Eircode or (3) simple do not know enough to realise that Eircode is a very poor code in comparison to Loc8 Code.
    Your statement that Loc8 hasn't flourished because of its own mismanagement is a clear lie by you and is probably libelous. I am amazed that the moderators have not removed your post and banned you for making such slanderous, subjective and unsubstantiated comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

Jack180570 wrote: »
    Ukoda, you clearly are either (1) misinformed (2) have a vested interest in Eircode or (3) simple do not know enough to realise that Eircode is a very poor code in comparison to Loc8 Code.
    Your statement that Loc8 hasn't flourished because of its own mismanagement is a clear lie by you and is probably libelous. I am amazed that the moderators have not removed your post and banned you for making such slanderous, subjective and unsubstantiated comments.

Its all my opinion, how about you substantiate the success of Loc8 with some figures?

How many active users on anyone one day?
    How many codes entered on Garmin Sat navs in any one day?
    What percentage of the population have created a Loc8?
    How many times has it been used in an emergency situation?
    How many companies use Loc8?

Im happy to be proven wrong, go for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Jack180570 wrote: »

Well, at least their marketing team are utter sh*t, because I never heard of them until I read this thread.
    So they must have engaged in years of energetic navel gazing, only waking up when Eircode got announced.
    I can imagine the manager snoozing with his feet up on his desk, falling off his chair backwards when he read the news.
    For years Loc8 was the best kept secret in Ireland.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think Eircode qualify for that - as just days before its launch, every aspect of its design is a complete secret.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Well, at least their marketing team are utter sh*t, because I never heard of them until I read this thread.
    So they must have engaged in years of energetic navel gazing, only waking up when Eircode got announced.
    I can imagine the manager snoozing with his feet up on his desk, falling off his chair backwards when he read the news.
    Constructive posts only please.

I think Eircode qualify for that - as just days before its launch, every aspect of its design is a complete secret.
    I was aware of Loc8 quite a few years ago and provided it several times to get deliveries, then they changed the codes and that screwed things up a bit.

As for Eircodes, why the delay in (& hiding pre launch) making public the codes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭plodder

The areas with the same first letter should be sort-of adjacent, but the routing code areas are said to be very odd shapes.

It is all arranged the way to suit the An post sorting frames apparently.
    if they are based on An Post delivery zones (and there's reason to speculate they are) then some of them will be unusual eg.
    xop_zpshsgohqtz.png

They could have split that one in two, which would be the sensible thing to do. Cork city could be interesting too..

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tvc15

plodder wrote: »
    if they are based on An Post delivery zones (and there's reason to speculate they are) then some of them will be unusual eg.
    xop_zpshsgohqtz.png

They could have split that one in two, which would be the sensible thing to do. Cork city could be interesting too..

Cool! Where is this map from?

• Advertisement

tvc15 wrote: »
    Cool! Where is this map from?

Here

Zoom in a bit to see the zones.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Here

I am led to believe it is a lot worse than that example in places. You can have houses along one side of the road in one code so you have these long narrow bits. The other side of the road is another long narrow bit from another routing code.

I am led to believe it is a lot worse than that example in places. You can have houses along one side of the road in one code so you have these long narrow bits. The other side of the road is another long narrow bit from another routing code.
    Funny that. When I originally made the argument in favour of small areas, someone pointed out that the SAs would divide roads like that.

There are also many non contiguous areas, particularly in and around towns, lumped in together. Doubtless, there's history and interesting stories to be told about them all. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Any chance the an post delivery areas will have been updated to a bit more common sense boundaries?

Thanks for the updates: this is what appears to be the story so far (E&OE)

A - South East Dublin and North Wicklow (probably the most affluent part of the Republic and it gets "A")
    C -
    D - Dublin
    E - Tipperary
    F - North Roscommon and presumably Sligo
    H - Galway
    K - Co. Dublin (part)
    N - Longford and Westmeath
    P - Deep South Cork
    R - Laois and Offaly
    V - Limerick and Clare
    W -
    X - Waterford
    Y -

So we are left with "C", "W" and "Y" and the following swathes of territory.

Cavan and Monaghan
    Donegal and Leitrim (perhaps Boyle's "F"?)
    Kerry (perhaps Cork's "P"?)
    Kildare
    Kilkenny (perhaps Tipperary's "E" or Waterford's "X"?)
    Louth and Meath
    Mayo (Galway's "H" or Sligo's "F")
    Wexford and South Wicklow (will hardly be assigned "W")

As for Eircodes, why the delay in (& hiding pre launch) making public the codes.

A very good question indeed now that the law of the land is ready for Eircode.

It's hardly the prospect of being taken to Europe by the FTAI.

Apart from the potential for grumblings from councillors in South Clare, South Kilkenny and South Roscommon, I can't see any other elephants in the room at present.

The derelict Eircode website is a poor indictment of their publicity management as is the following:

Eircode
    @ Eircode
    Eircode - Location codes for Irish addressess
    eircode.ie
    TWEETS

FOLLOWING
    FOLLOWERS

• Registered Users Posts: 5 pfinch

I don't think routing key boundaries will be provided as they are not intended to be used for grouping or delivery, you will be able to match Eircodes to Small Areas, ED's or your own custom delivery zones/boundaries.

pfinch wrote: »
    I don't think routing key boundaries will be provided as they are not intended to be used for grouping or delivery, you will be able to match Eircodes to Small Areas, ED's or your own custom delivery zones/boundaries.
    They won't be provided by Eircode. But, they will be provided by third parties.

Here

Click on Tulla, east of Ennis or Ballynacally to the south south-west of Ennis.

Something like the United Arab Republic or Pakistan post-independence.

Click on Tulla, east of Ennis or Ballynacally to the south south-west of Ennis.

Something like the United Arab Republic or Pakistan post-independence.
    Or Cork city. There's a school in one area surrounded completely by another area.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭GJG

Presuming that there is more than one postcode area within the country, could that be achieved without a boundary occurring somewhere?

If some of those boundaries occur in urban areas - inevitable unless an entire city has the same code - then isn't it inevitable that some houses are next door to, or across the street from, a house with a different code?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement