Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Postcodes to be introduced

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

there is nothing wrong with the two sides of the road having different codes. But within a particular code, you might only have one side of the road, and none of the surrounding hinterland behind the houses on this road. That is why I say there are narrow 'fingers' It is really the shape of the bounded areas that I am concerned about, not the fact that the areas have boundaries.

Strictly speaking, routing code areas are made up of delivery points rather than boundaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

Launch seems to be ramping up now, see a flurry of activity from resellers peddling their API's for eircode look ups

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I don't understand how something made of delivery points has no boundaries.

Logically it makes no sense.

You could just join the dots around the delivery outermost delivery points :

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭larchill

eircode.ie has just been undated :D Says that eircodes will be posted out over a 3 week period. It also states: "The Eircode letters have not yet been posted. Please revisit the website in a few weeks to check when they are arriving".

Looks like it could be a few weeks yet, all a bit vague :confused:

From the website:

"The Eircode Finder will also be able to identify the address on a map, aiding the user with directions if needed."

I wonder is that directions from within the eircode web app probably using google maps, or does it just mean you can see it on the map without actual turn by turn navigation, be better if you could go straight to google maps tho,hopefully that's planned too

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

ukoda wrote: »
    From the website:

"The Eircode Finder will also be able to identify the address on a map, aiding the user with directions if needed."

I wonder is that directions from within the eircode web app probably using google maps, or does it just mean you can see it on the map without actual turn by turn navigation, be better if you could go straight to google maps tho,hopefully that's planned too

Also says:
    As this is a tool for the general public, there will be a limit of 15 searches per day.

Ah so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

There's a commented out link in the source for a "Find an Eircode" button on the top of the page, but sadly no URL, we'll have to wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

TheChizler wrote: »
    There's a commented out link in the source for a "Find an Eircode" button on the top of the page, but sadly no URL, we'll have to wait!

was trying the same myself!

finder.eircode.ie is a valid server, just can't find anything under it yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Trouwe Ier

Gamma_irl 2:35pm via Silver Bird Plus
    Look our for your #eircode letter. Coming soon. Very soon. cc @autoaddress eircode.ie/getting-an-eir…

"soon, Very soon" sounds Hellenic to me.

"loc8code" and "GetLostEircodes" peddling out the usual diatribes today, including having a go at the CWU and this retweet:

newsfromftai PS, this is a real street, with no property numbers, in Co #Limerick (home to 80,000 #Eircode addresses) http://t.co/5suQtjDLZi
    3:26pm, Jul 06 from Twitter Web Client
    GetLostEircodes

GetLostEircodes @newsfromftai Q. How will #Eircode decipher between red door and white door in photo?. A. It cannot as too close for GPS margin of error.
    12:07pm, Jul 08 from Twitter Web Client

I think that the picture was taken in Foynes. The code syntax is wrong.

Surely the proximity argument would also apply to a cluster based system too?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Most of the arguments they use against Eircode seem to apply to loc8 too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

Also says:
    As this is a tool for the general public, there will be a limit of 15 searches per day.
    It's better than An Post, who only allow you to check 5 addresses per day on their Address Checker
    http://correctaddress.anpost.ie/pages/Search.aspx

People on Twitter saying it launches next week, website with the Finder will be live Monday?

Can anyone confirm? (Seeing as the person on Twitter also posts here :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ManAboutCouch

ukoda wrote: »
    People on Twitter saying it launches next week, website with the Finder will be live Monday?

Can anyone confirm? (Seeing as the person on Twitter also posts here :D )

I presume you mean me? Monday 13th is the date I've heard, but I don't know anything that isn't already in the public domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Trouwe Ier

Louth County Council seem to be well in with the cognoscenti:

Someone in their tweeting department is working late too!

louthcoco 7:00pm via Hootsuite
    Eircode launch includes notification + mini postcard everyone will have their new code soon #louthcorp #Eircodes

louthcoco 5:31pm via Hootsuite
    Eircode launch imminent:- legislation to cover the new postcode system has been passed. So codes may issue as early as next week #louthcorp

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

I'm a postman. We have been told eircode mailing will start week of the 13 July.

gerard2210 wrote: »
    I'm a postman in Galway have been told eircode mailing will start week of the 13 July.

Thanks!

The burning question tho is:

how will you deliver to non unique addresses if the the letter is just addressed to "occupant"!!!??

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭larchill

Wonder will there be an android/iPhone app for phones/tablet? An Posts address search facility on their website is probably a good example of what we'll get with eircode. This uses the Geodirectory also, & has a map function.

larchill wrote: »
    Wonder will there be an android/iPhone app for phones/tablet? An Posts address search facility on their website is probably a good example of what we'll get with eircode. This uses the Geodirectory also, & has a map function.

Eircode Finder website is device responsive, so effectively it will act as a web app, you can add it to your home screen

We were told in rural areas where there is no name on the address there will be a description of the house. Will have to wait and see how it goes. Also if its addressed to pat murphy and he is no longer at the address the code is to be delivered as addressed as code is for the house not pat murphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

We were told in rural areas where there is no name on the address there will be a description of the house. Will have to wait and see how it goes. Also if its addressed to pat murphy and he is no longer at the address the code is to be delivered as addressed as code is for the house not pat murphy.
    Imagine if there were some magic numbers that could be beamed down from the sky* that could be used to link any given house with its eircode!

(*Yes, I know that's not how GPS works, but you know the old saying, "close enough for government work!" - and that's not a dig at postmen - it's my excuse for not being more technically exact)

As a matter of interest, how many postmen are there in the country?

• Advertisement

Bayberry wrote:
    As a matter of interest, how many postmen are there in the country?

Not enough. About 5000- 5500 delivery staff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭GJG

Not enough. About 5000- 5500 delivery staff.

That's interesting. How many pieces of post per day are delivered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭clewbays

I'm a postman in Galway have been told eircode mailing will start week of the 13 July.

Will you be delivering them every day or only on Saturdays as a previous posted mentioned!

GJG wrote:
    That's interesting. How many pieces of post per day are delivered?

About 3 million on an average day.

Have the postcards already been sent to the regional depots or are you still waiting for them?

We were told they are due for delivery next week. We have 2 days to deliver them. I presume they will be spread out over the week but could arrive in Monday morning go find them waiting for me. I presume they will be delivered to the delivery offices over the weekend.

We were told they are due for delivery next week. We have 2 days to deliver them. I presume they will be spread out over the week but could arrive in Monday morning go find them waiting for me. I presume they will be delivered to the delivery offices over the weekend.
    Thanks, but I'll probably find out mine online first like most of the other posters here. ;)

I'm just watching out for the link.

Thanks, but I'll probably find out mine online first like most of the other posters here. ;)

I'm just watching out for the link.

I'm sure a huge amount will. I hope the servers don't crash!

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

Thanks for the posts. Can I ask, as a postman, do you think they'll help your job - like after a while you'll probably remember which Mrs. Murphy is FW83 and which Mrs. Murphy is 7GH8 (random examples) even if the rest of their address is identical? Or I should say - which Mrs. Murphy's house is which?

• Advertisement

moyners wrote:
    Thanks for the posts. Can I ask, as a postman, do you think they'll help your job - like after a while you'll probably remember which Mrs. Murphy is FW83 and which Mrs. Murphy is 7GH8 (random examples) even if the rest of their address is identical? Or I should say - which Mrs. Murphy's house is which?

The code will help. It will cut down on having to knock and ask if Mrs Murphy is expecting something from V.H.I or something like that, but if companies used the persons full name the code would not be necessary.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement