Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Postcodes to be introduced

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Not sure that's true as mine's significantly different on eircode + An Post

It's one line shorter on Eircode ...
    Mine's the same on both as expected, but it still contains one totally unnecessary line. My 'real address' is ...

nn <Street name>
    Bray

which is more than enough to find it, but the Eircode/Geodirectory one is

nn <Street name>
    <"main" road my street is connected to>
    Bray

Mind you, Bord Gais are even better, they have me as ...

nn <Street name>
    <Street name> Estate
    Bray

which is completely stupid seeing as the street is the estate effectively!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

As part of the Eircode system/project there should have been a requirement to remove non-unique addresses.

I have already told you of one person who refuses to stop using their unique address ( a house name ) even though they have been told repeatably there is non unique form
    The only requirement I can see is the imperative that money was to be made out of what should be a national piece of infrastructure which is paid for from the national purse, and that money was to go to a private company.

The database it is based on , the Geodirectory , is not free and An Post spend money keeping it up to date and it was not developed with public money

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Tried to find an address - it worked. And it had a code.

Success.

Tried to find an address for a workplace. Not so easy. Eventually found it and it had a code. Except the location attached to it was in another building well away from it.

Fail.

The biggest flaw in the whole Eircode system is the set of coordinates that they are using. In many instances, they point to the right building, but in a fair number of cases they don't. This is not good for anyone wanting to reach that building. Claiming that the Eircodes will be useful to emergency services to reach a building with an Eircode that has its GPS location in another place is, frankly, a dangerous thing to do.
    It's probably right from a post delivery point of view. If you were to give an address for emergency services which building would it bring them to? They'll ask for the address first and only really ask for/use the eircode for the hard-to-find places.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

loyatemu wrote: »
    L roads are just a Local road number - similar to R (regional) and N (national).

And they aren't new - if a particular CoCo are installing new signs, it's only the signs that are new, the numbers have been around for decades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭threeiron

Eircode should develop a geographical address option. So when you input an Eircode you can choose the postal address or the actual address on the Eircode Finder menu. So Shannon airport would be in County Clare for its actual address. It could be created from the small areas in ECAD and persons could be allowed to submit amendments to the actual address which would only be stored on ECAD (not on GeoDirectory). This would give them a competitive advantage over GeoDirectory.

Any international coverage of Eircode or examples of Eircodes in use already? Is Greece adopting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

threeiron wrote: »
    Eircode should develop a geographical address option. So when you input an Eircode you can choose the postal address or the actual address on the Eircode Finder menu. So Shannon airport would be in County Clare for its actual address. It could be created from the small areas in ECAD and persons could be allowed to submit amendments to the actual address which would only be stored on ECAD (not on GeoDirectory). This would give them a competitive advantage over GeoDirectory.

Any international coverage of Eircode or examples of Eircodes in use already? Is Greece adopting it.

it is really rather sad that the geographical address was not in this from the beginning. If you enter in a place in its proper county, it returns a place that seems to be in another county. Potentially not everyone knows that the places are the same without looking at the map.

Much better to return something like

Ballybeg, Co Clare
    postal address, Ballybeg, Limerick.

The concept of a postal address may be needed, or maybe not with such a database, but it should not be represented as "the" address to piss people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭long_b

Does anyone know FOR SURE how to get the address that shows for your Eircode updated?
    Currently my house name is on my neighbours house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

So according to a BBC article: eircode doesn't work with sat navs yet, but negotiations are ongoing with these companies to introduce it "within months"

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-33510924

But at the end after they talk about the airport moving. Where did they get this from do we know?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

long_b wrote: »
    Does anyone know FOR SURE how to get the address that shows for your Eircode updated?
    Currently my house name is on my neighbours house.
    Edit:

Search for your address to bring up the wrong house, and then click "View On map".

Then move the map around to centre the crosshairs on your house and click "Get Eircode"

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    Edit:

Search for your address to bring up the wrong house, and then click "View On map".

Then move the map around to centre the crosshairs on your house and click "Get Eircode"

Thanks but the address that's showing is incorrect. My question is how you get THE ADDRESS updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

As I understood it we have had addressing problems in Ireland for years (non unique addresses, people using different townlands and all that). The Eircode was never going to fix / change the address itself (which it points out clearly on its website), it was going to add a unique identifier to the address so that we didnt have to get into a huge debate over where people consider there house to be on different maps / borders.

I assume the addresses coming up on the eircode website are the 'wrong' addresses which this system is supposed to fix (my guess is these are An Posts own addresses which they use to route mail).

I think if Eircode fixed all the 'wrong' addresses (non unique etc) - that would kind of negate the point in having a code in the first place wouldnt it? Some of the addresses are wildly out of place geographically but I assume they always have been just people werent aware of it until the Eircode highlighted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

The issue I'm hearing about with people in the wrong county is bound to be a misunderstanding of peoples own actual postal address. I live in south Kilkenny, near Waterford, so my postal address is actually Waterford. They've even been sticking notes to some packages addressed to Kilkenny recently, saying going via Kilkenny can cause a delay in delivery. Just checked my new eircode and it's showing the Waterford address too.

Thanks but the address that's showing is incorrect. My question is how you get THE ADDRESS updated.
    You'll need to contact An Post as they're the ones who provided the data to Eircode.

Most likely your address is wrong with An Post, but your postman knows what goes where, so it's never been an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Kahless wrote: »
    The issue I'm hearing about with people in the wrong county is bound to be a misunderstanding of peoples own actual postal address. I live in south Kilkenny, near Waterford, so my postal address is actually Waterford. They've even been sticking notes to some packages addressed to Kilkenny recently, saying going via Kilkenny can cause a delay in delivery. Just checked my new eircode and it's showing the Waterford address too.

as per their FAQ https://www.eircode.ie/faqs

"The county shown on the Eircode Finder for may address is incorrect. Can it be changed? - The addresses used to assign Eircodes are postal addresses. This is also the address used for all Eircode communications. For the purpose of mail delivery, use of the correct postal address containing the information required to ensure correct routing of mail, is essential. The postal address includes the name of the ‘post town’, i.e. the town or village in which your specific mail delivery office is located and through which your mail is routed. This may not be the nearest town to you geographically as it is determined purely by the mails network. An Post encourage you to use your correct postal address for the purpose of efficient mail delivery. Eircode are unable to change postal address information."

Hasn't the Shannon, Limerick thing always been like that - way before Eircode came out.

What Eircode does is basically say, 'we are not going to try to update the clusterf**k of bad addressing in Ireland, instead we are going to apply a unique code to every postal address and from now on the code will act as the refernece point. If you want to call your house Jimmy Joes Tavern, Buckingham Palace, Area 51, Co. Donegal, you can knock yourself out but your Eircode will always be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭rye_212

Kahless wrote: »

So if you give your POSTAL (An Post) address to a DELIVERY company then they could put your sofa on the wrong, ie WATERFORD delivery route. I thought that problem was what the postcode was to resolve, ie you could include the postcode and your logical geographic address and then it could be used for BOTH posting and delivery companies. But An Post say they will not use the postocode, you still have to quote the georaphically/administratively inaccurate CO WATERFORD address. And home that a delivery company will ignore the address and use the post code. An Post are the ones that should be absolutely using the postcode, irrespective of the address. Instead they will continue to insist on the incorrect address, still post stickers on your mail, and delay it by a day if it has the Kilkenny address on it.

rye1967 wrote: »
    So if you give your POSTAL (An Post) address to a DELIVERY company then they could put your sofa on the wrong, ie WATERFORD delivery route. I thought that problem was what the postcode was to resolve, ie you could include the postcode and your logical geographic address and then it could be used for BOTH posting and delivery companies. But An Post say they will not use the postocode, you still have to quote the georaphically/administratively inaccurate CO WATERFORD address. And home that a delivery company will ignore the address and use the post code. An Post are the ones that should be absolutely using the postcode, irrespective of the address. Instead they will continue to insist on the incorrect address, still post stickers on your mail, and delay it by a day if it has the Kilkenny address on it.

An Post ARE using eircode. Don't believe all the anti eircode hype

So if you give your POSTAL (An Post) address to a DELIVERY company then they could put your sofa on the wrong, ie WATERFORD delivery route. I thought that problem was what the postcode was to resolve.
    Delivery companies aren't that simple. Or stupid.

If you tell a delivery company your address is Youghal, Co. Waterford rather than Co. Cork, they will check the address on a map (either manually or automatically) before deciding what route it should take.

They won't just automatically send stuff to Waterford city because your address says Waterford. Because that doesn't make any sense, with or without eircode.

If you want to know when your eircode letter will arrive

http://www.eircode.ie/images/When-Eircode-arrives_English.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Trouwe Ier

Using road numbers would be very difficult for a number of reasons:

a) Whilst the STD Area Codes in this country are very logical and hirearchical, this is not the case with road numbers. For example, the "R446" is the old N6 from Kinnegad to Galway and the R445 is the old N7 from Naas to Limerick. The R448 follows the old N9 and so on. There is no geographic correlation,

b) Some of these roads re very long as per the examples above,

c) Roads are, or in the old days, were, frequently re-classified as a result of the construction of new motorways or by-passes etc. Up to 1988, the N18 out of Limerick City Centre was along the current Ennis Road out of town via Sarsfield Bridge. That became the R857 when the Condell Road was built and was assigned the "N18" designation. Then in 2010, the tunnel opened and the N18 moved further south while the Condell Road became the R527.

d) Not every road is classified using "M", "N", "R" or "L". When I see road closire notices in the local media for cycle races and the like, some streets in Limerick are referred to as "Public Road no. 446" or whatever.

And home that a delivery company will ignore the address and use the post code. An Post are the ones that should be absolutely using the postcode, irrespective of the address. Instead they will continue to insist on the incorrect address, still post stickers on your mail, and delay it by a day if it has the Kilkenny address on it.
    Most likely the delivery company will look up the coordinates from the postcode and only give whatever address YOU give them a cursory glance to make sure the code brings them to roughly the same area. Or only look at the address you give them and only look at the code you gave them if they can't find your house.

seamus wrote: »
    You'll need to contact An Post as they're the ones who provided the data to Eircode.

Most likely your address is wrong with An Post, but your postman knows what goes where, so it's never been an issue.

Thanks. I've been in contact with An Post but wasn't sure fi it was them or the GeoDirectory crowd.

Postie knowledge is grand for An Post deliveries but the new code means other couriers will attempt deliveries too, so it's an issue now

Thanks. I've been in contact with An Post but wasn't sure fi it was them or the GeoDirectory crowd.
    I think it's An Post manage the database ad GeoDirectory sell it.
    Postie knowledge is grand for An Post deliveries but the new code means other couriers will attempt deliveries too, so it's an issue now
    Cause they weren't doing it before? I imagine couriers will be aware of the postal address/actual address descrepancy and prioritize the address you give them over one they would have to look up.

"Sat-nav systems do not officially recognise Eircodes yet but negotiations are ongoing with major digital mapping companies who are currently working on an infrastructural build.

Mr Dignam is very confident that the functionality will be on sat-nav systems within months."

From RTE article

http://m.rte.ie/news/2015/0713/714386-eircode/

The Geo coordinates for the Eircodes are available for all businesses to buy, if a delivery company doesnt want to buy them then good luck to them- I doubt they will keep up with the competition though.

TheChizler wrote: »
    I think it's An Post manage the database ad GeoDirectory sell it.

Cause they weren't doing it before? .
    Thanks for the info.
    Before couriers would have to ring me for directions. Now they won't need to do that

Looks like someone on Twitter has already hacked the ECAD and got all 2.2 million addresses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

NIMAN wrote: »
    We have a local information meeting about the postcodes in Inishowen on 14th July.

Not sure who exactly is hosting it tbh.

I checked an address in Inishowen today. Gave a result completely different to the address that's been used since the house was built and has added Lifford into the address. Are people not able to locate a property without including an irrelevant sorting office (do they still even have a sorting office there is is it all done in Letterkenny now?) in the address?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement