Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Postcodes to be introduced

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

We didn't learn anything new from Eircode Launch

That is the response of Autoaddress. Says it all really. Irish water are saying the same. and I am sure the proponents for eVoting said the same.

The design is centred on the needs of An Post who have said all along that they do not need a post code and that they will not use it. [Well, they might start using it if it becomes ubiquitous but that will take a long time].

Even the routing keys are rubbish because they are not contiguous. There are over 2,000 post towns according to Autoaddress, so why not give a routing code for each one?

It would appear to be a design that is designed to fail.

Edit see the route key for Abbeyfeale, Askeaton, Loughill

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

That is the response of Autoaddress. Says it all really. Irish water are saying the same. and I am sure the proponents for eVoting said the same.

The design is centred on the needs of An Post who have said all along that they do not need a post code and that they will not use it. [Well, they might start using it if it becomes ubiquitous but that will take a long time].

Even the routing keys are rubbish because they are not contiguous. There are over 2,000 post towns according to Autoaddress, so why not give a routing code for each one?

It would appear to be a design that is designed to fail.

You're being misleading quoting that. They said they didn't learn anything that they weren't already expecting. They listed all the lessons learned from the launch and basically said it wasn't unexpected to get the reaction it did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

What is Autoaddress's vested interest here?

Auto address = ericode

Read their website. They designed eircode as part of the capita consortium

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

plodder wrote: »
    That's not a complete list.

It is now - only 2 days after official launch.

http://www.ossiansmyth.ie/eircode-routing-keys/

Routing Key Areas Map for the north-east:

image.jpg

• Advertisement

It is now - only 2 days after official launch.

http://www.ossiansmyth.ie/eircode-routing-keys/

Routing Key Areas Map for the north-east:

image.jpg

See here for a full map of Ireland and the routing keys overlaid

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=zrmXDfjvem7g.k2eSAnvagEdQ

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

I think page 15 of this pdf shows just how advanced a system this is:

https://www.eircode.ie/images/PrepareYourBusinessForEircode-Edition3Published.pdf

If only they could effectively get the message out there that they didn't just throw scrabble letters at a map and see where they fall - a lot of thought has gone into this!

http://www.gamma.ie/blog/feargal-oneill/2015/07/15/eircodes-%E2%80%93-fiasco-hardly-6-reasons-why

Pretty comprehensive defence of eircode here from Gamma, they seem to be tweeting this link all over Twitter in defence of eircode, I guess someone had to do a bit of damage control

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

ukoda wrote: »
    http://www.gamma.ie/blog/feargal-oneill/2015/07/15/eircodes-%E2%80%93-fiasco-hardly-6-reasons-why

Pretty comprehensive defence of eircode here from Gamma, they seem to be tweeting this link all over Twitter in defence of eircode, I guess someone had to do a bit of damage control

Some pretty convincing arguments there as opposed to the spurious scare stories we have had over the last few days.

Some pretty convincing arguments there as opposed to the spurious scare stories we have had over the last few days.

There's a very definite tide turn on Twitter, seems a lot of people are now calling bull**** on all the stories, loc8 are getting challenged a lot now on their claims.

Plus, I see a huge amount of businesses tweeting thier eircodes

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

If there was a lot less secrecy before the launch, and a lot more information about the design philosophy behind Eircode, then a lot of negative reactions would have been avoided.

For example, if they got people to check their addresses on line many months before they attached an Eircode to it, this idea that Shannon had moved to Limerick would have been avoided or at least Eircode would not have got the blame. If they had a lot of aliases for addresses, allow people to choose their preferred one.

Also attaching VIA before the post town would also render much of this critism moot.

Why do these agencies always try to work as is they were in the secret service?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

See here for a full map of Ireland and the routing keys overlaid

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=zrmXDfjvem7g.k2eSAnvagEdQ

Rathcormac in Co. Cork is shown as P67, but it should be P61.

Fermoy is the control post town for Rathcormac.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

Rathcormac in Co. Cork is shown as P67, but it should be P61.

Fermoy is the control post town for Rathcormac.

Probably just a mistake - I'm sure the author will change it if you point it out to him.

Is it possible that eircode doesn't own the eircode twitter handle? Perhaps they've got a squatter on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Trouwe Ier

The experiment has been a success!

davidrbarrett retweeted
    MartyMtweets 10:07am via Twitter for iPhone
    Well well well.. Look who came back! Posted Monday, using #Eircode only. Back Weds. It works!! @radionova100 #MGNOVA

4 retweets 4 favorites

Trouwe Ier wrote: »

davidrbarrett retweeted
    Well well well.. Look who came back! Posted Monday, using #Eircode only. Back Weds. It works!! @radionova100 #MGNOVA

4 retweets 4 favorites

So not next day delivery then!

There's progress for you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

It's like cars in the old days - you need to break them in slowly, so as not to ruin the engine.....

Depends what time he posted it, if it went into the postbox on Monday evening it wouldn't have been collected till Tuesday ;)

Trouwe Ier wrote: »

davidrbarrett retweeted

4 retweets 4 favorites

So that proves that eircode is fully integrated with An Posts systems.

So another loc8code lie exposed, they claim all over Twitter that "an post won't use it"

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

So another loc8code lie exposed, they claim all over Twitter that "an post won't use it"

it's a conspiracy IMO - whoever heard of a postal service using post codes?

• Advertisement

@getlosteircodes tried to say the postman most likely knows the person anyway so they ignored the ericode. Only thing is.....the name was made up :p they replied "I stand corrected" I hope they have a keyboard shortcut for that phrase as they may have to use it a lot

Same guy doing another test with just an ericode on it.

Not necessarily at all. Perhaps a postie (We will always try to deliver all post, no matter how badly addressed it is) tried his best and went to the Eircode website on his pocket computer (standard issue since Monday), typed in the Eircode and got the preferred address, even if it was in the wrong county, and delivered it.

Well done, postie!

Not necessarily at all. Perhaps a postie (We will always try to deliver all post, no matter how badly addressed it is) tried his best and went to the Eircode website on his pocket computer (standard issue since Monday), typed in the Eircode and got the preferred address, even if it was in the wrong county, and delivered it.

Well done, postie!

So that would be An Post using eircode. Hmmm I thought they weren't according to some folk. I thought it was of no use to the postman? Hmm

So that would be An Post using eircode. Hmmm I thought they weren't according to some folk. I thought it was of no use to the postman? Hmm

Re-read the post. It could be a postie using his initiative and not An Post using the Eircode.

There is a difference.

Re-read the post. It could be a postie using his initiative and not An Post using the Eircode.

There is a difference.

One of 2 things happened.

An Posts systems were able to deliver a letter with just a name and eircode = eircode is used by An Post

Or

Postman was able to use eircode to deliver the letter = eircode is useful to postmen.

Both were claimed to be lies. I suspect neither are. In fact this proves neither are true.

One of 2 things happened.

An Posts systems were able to deliver a letter with just a name and eircode = eircode is used by An Post

Or

Postman was able to use eircode to deliver the letter = eircode is useful to postmen.

Both were claimed to be lies. I suspect neither are. In fact this proves neither are true.

Over the last couple of days Eircode, in response to people complaining about the 'wrong county' being listed, have said to keep using whatever address they want and just add the Eircode. An Post may have to use it despite not really wanting to, if people feel like they can throw any old address down.

moyners wrote: »
    Over the last couple of days Eircode, in response to people complaining about the 'wrong county' being listed, have said to keep using whatever address they want and just add the Eircode. An Post may have to use it despite not really wanting to, if people feel like they can throw any old address down.

Bear in mind the head of operations in An Post has gone on the record to say that their systems were upgraded last year and in anticipation of eircodes launch, they have a system built that fully supports it. Of course loc8 and others choose to ignore this or call the man a liar.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭noelfirl

https://twitter.com/GetLostEircodes/status/621333239643418624
    Get Lost Eircodes ‏@GetLostEircodes 10m10 minutes ago
    @loc8code is the stoat in video link. Fit for purpose & agile @Eircode is the rabbit bloated, slow & eventually dead
    https://goo.gl/OpW28c

If Loc8 have anything to do with the above twitter account, they're in serious need of doing a bit of self-reflection, and, dare I say, growing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

noelfirl wrote: »
    If Loc8 have anything to do with the above twitter account, they're in serious need of doing a bit of self-reflection, and, dare I say, growing up.
    The domain getlosteircodes.com appears to be registered to ...

Admin Name: getlosteircodes.com c/o WHOIS Privacy Ltd.
    Admin Organization: getlosteircodes.com c/o WHOIS Privacy Ltd.
    Admin Street: Unit 12A, Barrowside Business Park
    Admin Street: Sleaty Road
    Admin City: Graiguecullen
    Admin State/Province: Co. Carlow
    Admin Postal Code: -
    Admin Country: IE
    Admin Phone: +353.599183072
    Admin Phone Ext.:
    Admin Fax: +353.14811763
    Admin Fax Ext:
    Admin Email: 61c2e14161be41a.png@whoisprivacy.ie

whoisprivacy.ie / Whois Privacy Limited appears to be some kind of front for people wanting to register domains without giving away any personal information and supported by their hoster, Blacknight. https://www.blacknight.com/whois-privacy.html so we'll never know who really is behind getlosteircodes.com although it's not that hard to guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭OU812

noelfirl wrote: »

I'd say it's a fairly safe bet that it's being run by them. I've seen some the stuff they've done before and it was amateurish & foolish. The best marketing exercise they ever did was the street name plates, but I suspect Garmin had something to do with that.

Example 1: https://www.facebook.com/events/237259286462682/
    Example 2: https://www.facebook.com/events/564276920290718/

I've personally no time for Loc8 or the guy who runs it, he used to be on this thread until he was banned (probably back under another name). I've bought the Loc8 app & found it a pain to deal with. however since Monday I've used eircode a lot, and have since added it to the home page of my iPhone. It actually works really well with apple maps for directions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement