Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Postcodes to be introduced

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

ukoda wrote: »
    So that would be An Post using eircode. Hmmm I thought they weren't according to some folk. I thought it was of no use to the postman? Hmm

Loc8s' new spokesperson:

comical-ali-meme.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭bluesteel

Why has TCD lecturer Brian Lucey got such a hard-on for Loc8? His anti Eircodes blog post was really bizarre https://brianmlucey.wordpress.com/2015/04/14/13-things-that-are-wrong-with-eircode/

twitter.com/brianmlucey/

he's completely dismissive of anyone who is supportive of Eircodes

is it so hard for him to realise that Loc8 is a closed, proprietary system?

then again this is the guy who proposed selling off the Anglo deposit book - what kind of finance professor confuses Assets and Liabilities?

I'm not a minute suggesting Loc8 are paying him. He has some odd views generally

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

Alun wrote: »
    The domain getlosteircodes.com appears to be registered to ...

Admin Name: getlosteircodes.com c/o WHOIS Privacy Ltd.

whoisprivacy.ie / Whois Privacy Limited appears to be some kind of front for people wanting to register domains without giving away any personal information and supported by their hoster, Blacknight. https://www.blacknight.com/whois-privacy.html so we'll never know who really is behind getlosteircodes.com although it's not that hard to guess.

It turns out it wasn't private when originally registered in September 2014; the privacy was added later. From a historical WhoIs query (via domaintools.com), it appears to be registered to a residential address in Carlow. I won't say who it is, since they'd presumably prefer to remain private, but I'm fairly sure it's not Gary Delaney.

(There is also no Loc8 code in the original entry's postcode field, unlike the WhoIs info for myloc8ion.com which has one prominently listed.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

moyners wrote: »
    Over the last couple of days Eircode, in response to people complaining about the 'wrong county' being listed, have said to keep using whatever address they want and just add the Eircode. An Post may have to use it despite not really wanting to, if people feel like they can throw any old address down.

There is an argument that Eircode should facilitate people just write Kilkee, Co Clare or whatever, as the big sorting machine on the Naas Road will still route it to Limerick.

It should now only be necessary to write the local part of the address where manual sorting is used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

Tenshot wrote: »
    It turns out it wasn't private when originally registered in September 2014; the privacy was added later. From a historical WhoIs query (via domaintools.com), it appears to be registered to a residential address in Carlow. I won't say who it is, since they'd presumably prefer to remain private, but I'm fairly sure it's not Gary Delaney.

(There is also no Loc8 code in the original entry's postcode field, unlike the WhoIs info for myloc8ion.com which has one prominently listed.)

That address in Carlow is for Blacknight (the hosting company) isn't it? Or is it a coincidence that Blacknight are also in Carlow? There's something wrong here, if I have time later I know of a way to bypass the masking and get the full details myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

That address in Carlow is for Blacknight (the hosting company) isn't it? Or is it a coincidence that Blacknight are also in Carlow? There's something wrong here, if I have time later I know of a way to bypass the masking and get the full details myself.
    It's a different address than the Blacknight one listed at the top. If you're living in Carlow, I'd imagine Blacknight has a better-than-even chance of being your favoured hosting provider though.

Tenshot wrote: »
    It's a different address than the Blacknight one listed at the top. If you're living in Carlow, I'd imagine Blacknight has a better-than-even chance of being your favoured hosting provider though.

I'll find it for myself. Wonder why the secrecy? I mean there's no shame in supporting loc8 as a citizen, why pay extra to mask your identity. Unless of course you have some connection to loc8 and want to make it look like your other website isn't affiliated to them.

Something's fishy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

I received my first piece of mail with my Eircode on it today :D

• Advertisement

I received my first piece of mail with my Eircode on it today :D

Can you tell us what it was? Wondering if it's government or a private company or a person. Obviously don't tell us if you don't want to, I'm just curious

• Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭plodder

http://www.gamma.ie/blog/feargal-oneill/2015/07/15/eircodes-%E2%80%93-fiasco-hardly-6-reasons-why

Pretty comprehensive defence of eircode here from Gamma, they seem to be tweeting this link all over Twitter in defence of eircode, I guess someone had to do a bit of damage control
    It's easy enough to bat off the wackier criticisms, but ...

a) the point about the UK postcode is a straw-man. I don't think anyone is actually saying we should adopt the UK postcode. People are comparing aspects of the UK postcode with Eircode which is fair enough.

b) it doesn't address the major criticism of why Eircode wasn't hierarchical.

I suspect when the maps of the routing codes emerge, people will also be asking why exactly did they have to follow An Post's delivery structure (when they didn't need it)

plodder wrote: »
    It's easy enough to bat off the wackier criticisms, but ...

a) the point about the UK postcode is a straw-man. I don't think anyone is actually saying we should adopt the UK postcode. People are comparing aspects of the UK postcode with Eircode which is fair enough.

b) it doesn't address the major criticism of why Eircode wasn't hierarchical.

I suspect when the maps of the routing codes emerge, people will also be asking why exactly did they have to follow An Post's delivery structure (when they didn't need it)

They posted this in response to Twitter, there were a lot of people on Twitter saying why isn't it like the UK one

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Trouwe Ier

noelfirl wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/GetLostEircodes/status/621333239643418624

If Loc8 have anything to do with the above twitter account, they're in serious need of doing a bit of self-reflection, and, dare I say, growing up.

Reprehensible mis-use of footage from a world renowned broadcaster, which at this stage betrays a strong sense of derangement.

I got my green envelope today. It's a bit late now but perhaps they should, even at this stage, insert an extra note to explain the post-town issue.

I have used the codes twice for work already. They've worked a treat for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭threeiron

I have heard very little about the delivery of the Eircode letters which probably means that it is going well. Anyone receive their notification letter yet? Was it consistent with Eircode Finder?

Are the ECAF and ECAD files for sale? If not, any reason why?

Looks like Geodirectory is going to become a much improved product if they investigate any queries about incorrect postal addresses and incorrect map location. Ideal chance for small and medium businesses to get their trading names into Geodirectory if only the address of their premises is currently there.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Trouwe Ier

threeiron wrote: »
    I have heard very little about the delivery of the Eircode letters which probably means that it is going well. Anyone receive their notification letter yet? Was it consistent with Eircode Finder?/]

er.....see above and yes it was!

P.S. (Off topic with the Moderators' consent, hopefully) It's a hot night here in V94 and right on cue, Alannah Myles is on the radio!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭threeiron

Thanks but most of the above is reactions to Eircode Finder and debated on the structure of the code. Anyone know how much of the notification letter delivery has actually happened? Is it going well - are the correct cards being delivered to all addresses?

Thanks but most of the above is reactions to Eircode Finder and debated on the structure of the code. Anyone know how much of the notification letter delivery has actually happened? Is it going well - are the correct cards being delivered to all addresses?

Got my letter, believe it or not I haven't actually checked the Eircode* :eek: but all seems in order. On the letter, the last name of my OH was part of the address, but that doesn't appear on an Eircode search.
    My address seemed a little out of whack, so I tried their contact form which said there was a problem, but I got a reply anyway.
    So it seems the form works, despite it saying it doesn't:

Dear Mr Fuzzenstein,
    Thank you for your email query.
    The addresses on the Eircode Notification Letter and on the Eircode Finder are postal addresses used by an Post for accurate mail delivery not geographic addresses. We used these addresses to ensure the correct Eircode was delivered to the correct address.
    You can continue to use the address as you currently do and add the Eircode after the county.

Kind Regards,

Eircode
    Capita Business Support Services (Ireland) Limited
    Phone: 0818 300005
    Email: hello@eircode.ie
    www.eircode.ie

edit:
    * Just got herself to send the details, yep, spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ManAboutCouch

They're not on sale yet. I think Eircode are waiting to get Value Added Reseller (VAR) agreements in place first, that might take another week.

Once it does go on sale it will be interesting to see how long it takes for the major online mapping platforms to sign up and roll out. Google already licence GeoDirectory for their maps product, so you'd expect them to move fairly quickly.

They're not on sale yet. I think Eircode are waiting to get Value Added Reseller (VAR) agreements in place first, that might take another week.

Once it does go on sale it will be interesting to see how long it takes for the major online mapping platforms to sign up and roll out. Google already licence GeoDirectory for their maps product, so you'd expect them to move fairly quickly.

I emailed eircode (few months ago) when the pricing for the ECAD and ECAF came out and asked them if they had a different product for online mapping companies as a 'per transaction' model wouldn't suit them, they told me that yes they were working on a specific product for them and that they expected to have it announced in their next newsletter (which has since come and gone) so they must be still trying to hammer out a deal with mapping companies I suspect. But yes, Google will be all over this. I do hope the sat nav companies will also buy it, tho personally, as long Google maps have it, I'd be happy, stand alone sat nav devices are on the way out anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

that was quick. Eircode letter with code arrived at 9am this morning.

I have heard very little about the delivery of the Eircode letters which probably means that it is going well. Anyone receive their notification letter yet? Was it consistent with Eircode Finder?

Looks like Geodirectory is going to become a much improved product if they investigate any queries about incorrect postal addresses and incorrect map location. Ideal chance for small and medium businesses to get their trading names into Geodirectory if only the address of their premises is currently there.

I got mine, it was correct, I have a unique address so wasn't expecting any issues anyway. Letter arrived this morning addressed to occupier with the correct ericode.

I think you're right, this is actually really good for geo directory to start getting more up to date info, let's hope they act on it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Given that Google employs more then a 100 people in their maps division here in Ireland, I expect there will be lots of interest from their local engineers to get it in as quickly as possible.

Only thing that could slow it down is negotiations on cost and legal.

bk wrote: »
    Given that Google employs more then a 100 people in their maps division here in Ireland, I expect there will be lots of interest from their local engineers to get it in as quickly as possible.

Only thing that could slow it down is negotiations on cost and legal.
    Whatever about paying money up-front, I have heard they don't like paying subscriptions, which makes sense given they don't charge for their own lookups. Also, a sweetheart deal for google would be looked upon negatively by others. It's not a foregone conclusion imo.

Whatever about paying money up-front, I have heard they don't like paying subscriptions, which makes sense given they don't charge for their own lookups. Also, a sweetheart deal for google would be looked upon negatively by others. It's not a foregone conclusion imo.

Well Google not liking paying subscriptions is simply not true, where did you hear this may I ask?

Because I know for a fact Google are paying several subscriptions world wide for ongoing access to data. some are licensing models and others they pay for yearly subscriptions to get updated data. They also have a program where they actually pay end users a monthly subscription to let Google fully track their online presence.

Also if you read what I said above, eircode are looking at a different pricing model for mapping companies.

I can show you the email if you like, on condition you don't share it with anyone, as it had the usual email disclaimer about not sharing, but I can show you via PM if you don't believe me

Well Google not liking paying subscriptions is simply not true, where did you hear this may I ask?

Because I know for a fact Google are paying several subscriptions world wide for ongoing access to data. some are licensing models and others they pay for yearly subscriptions to get updated data. They also have a program where they actually pay end users a monthly subscription to let Google fully track their online presence.

Well, no one likes paying anything, any company will always try to get a sweetheart deal for themselves. It's like an Arab Souk out there, so it's not an unreasonable argument.

Also if you read what I said above, eircode are looking at a different pricing model for mapping companies.

I can show you the email if you like, on condition you don't share it with anyone, as it had the usual email disclaimer about not sharing, but I can show you via PM if you don't believe me
    That's not necessary. I heard the claim on another site from someone who seems credible. I really think they should have had all this sorted out prior to the launch. They would want to sort it out soon, because people will lose interest and any motivation for using Eircodes while couriers are unable to use them and this kind of speculation is inevitable.

Well, no one likes paying anything, any company will always try to get a sweetheart deal for themselves. It's like an Arab Souk out there, so it's not an unreasonable argument.
    Well, it's just given the nature of Eircode as the sole state sanctioned postcode, they would be subject to particularly strong requirements on treating licensees equally. Different license terms for different uses should be okay so long as they are clearly distinguishable.

And there's still problem that google don't charge for casual lookups but Eircode does beyond the 15 per day limit. Something will have to give there.

• Advertisement

And there's still problem that google don't charge for casual lookups but Eircode does beyond the 15 per day limit. Something will have to give there.

You're not getting it. The pricing model for mapping companies is NOT a per transaction model. That's what I've been trying to tell you. That's what the email I have clearly states.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement