Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Postcodes to be introduced

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Lord no, I never use Satnavs ...I simply memorise maps me. :D

It was commercially released in the sense that it was supported on certain Garmins what was not free product and you pimped it royally on your website. And please do not threaten the Internet Archive with legal action .....m'kays. Won't work. :cool:

http://web.archive.org/web/20080904094423/http://www.irishpostcodes.ie/
    You can use this Website to :

Create and Save a PON Code or "PONC" for any Location
    Share it verbally or on Your E-mail or Website
    View an existing PON Code or "PONC" on an internet map
    Create a PONC for use on Garmin Nuvi 7xx Series SatNav's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭garydubh

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Lord no, I never use Satnavs ...I simply memorise maps me. :D

It was commercially released in the sense that it was supported on certain Garmins what was not free product and you pimped it royally on your website. And please do not threaten the Internet Archive with legal action .....m'kays. Won't work. :cool:

Could not open that link but as I said it was not commercially released or sold;- it was available for downloading for beta testing and feedback purposes and it was that feedback and testing from the many at the time that lead to the current Loc8 Codes!

Real world testing was an important part of the Loc8 code evolution !

Ah no, it works all right. :D

Now, what does somebody with one of these:

Garmin Nuvi 7xx Series SatNav's

Bought for PONC at yoru urging and now wants to use Use Loc8 ???

As long as there is an upgrade path/ backward compatibility there should be no problem.

Describe the upgrade path/backward compatibility for Garmin Nuvi 7xx Series SatNav users please.

ta.

Ah no, it works all right. :D

Now, what does somebody with one of these:

Garmin Nuvi 7xx Series SatNav's

Bought for PONC at yoru urging and now wants to use Use Loc8 ???

As long as there is an upgrade path/ backward compatibility there should be no problem.

Describe the upgrade path/backward compatibility for Garmin Nuvi 7xx Series SatNav users please.

ta.

so you have a Garmin Nuvi 7xx series satnav then do you?

I explained I don't use those things, but many do and many bought a Garmin Nuvi 7xx Series SatNav.

But you do as you beta tested on it.

Now Answer the questions on backward compatibility please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭thirty-six dragons

I explained I don't use those things, but many do and many bought a Garmin Nuvi 7xx Series SatNav.

Stop it! He doesn't have to answer any questions about things - especially things unrelated to the title of this thread.

It makes perfect sense that a beta code moves on to another. It is perhaps a problem with closed-source codes that conversion isn't straightforward but come on - this not that big a deal. You can't be badgering a fella here.

I would suspect that anyone with 7XX series units looking for Loc8 Codes have already been in touch with either Loc8 or Garmin.

The 7xx series satnavs are all now discontinued by Garmin.

You can't be badgering a fella here.

I'll raise you a Hare and a Rabid Stoat if you don't shuddup so I will. :cool:

Let him explain how all them poor eejits that bought a Garmin Nuvi and generated codes as encouraged by him can 'leverage their investment' with an upgrade.

garydubh wrote: »
    I would suspect that anyone with 7XX series units looking for Loc8 Codes have already been in touch with either Loc8 or Garmin.

The 7xx series satnavs are all now discontinued by Garmin.

The 7xx was sold with PON or PONC compatibility.

Answer the following 3 questions please

1. Did you release a LOC8 FIX for Garmin navi 7xx series satnav units or do the owners have a useless brick since you completely dropped PON or PONC code in favour of this LOC8 thing. ??!!

2. How can we be sure you won't do the same thing when Garmin upgrade from their current version x4xx units ???

3. It was called PON or PONC in 2008 and 2009 and 2010 It is called LOC8 now. What will you call it in 2013 and WILL YOU GUARANTEE backward compatibility with LOC8 from 2013 onwards. ??

Stop it! He doesn't have to answer any questions about things - especially things unrelated to the title of this thread. .

au contrair Ian - I have gone into a lot of detail here in the past few hours and whats more I have highlighted the full detail on line - if you chose not to consider it that's fine!

so remind me do you or dont you support ITM coordinates and what is the accurcay and datum of the Lat/longs that you turn into +/2.7 m accuracy codes and how can a service supporting open sourced Lat/longs with know known pedigree guarantee this? What accuracy is achieved offshore North/South/East/West?

Is the opencode an alphanumeric code or is it all numeric or is it all alpha?

• Advertisement

This thread increasingly reads like an experiment conducted by the Yale University Comparative Cognition Lab and with me in charge of it. :(

http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/90920
    “On a lark, we started investigating whether or not we could introduce them to a basic market economy,” Chen recalls. “I’m not even sure we had a good idea of how it would work. But if we could, I knew there were a dozen experiments that people in the economics world would be interested in.”

At this point, Chen was already something of a curiosity—the only economist in the world who did research on monkeys. “It’s totally bizarre,” he admits. “But I always worked on what I thought was most interesting.” And what was most interesting was seeing if capuchin monkeys could be taught to spend money.

I'm going to bed

I support nothing. I wrote an algorithm. Of course the algorithm can be applied to ITM and any coordinate data. All the accuracy calculations are available at

http://sites.google.com/site/openpostcode/calculations/precision

The accuracy is guaranteed by its definition and open algorithm - the maths is all testable and provable.

The spreadsheet is available here: https://spreadsheets4.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_GB&hl=en_GB&key=0AiBGO0bjC-vidG1OTG9RU2JGeTBaN0wzNnVyZ2pveVE&output=xls

The definition of the format is at:

https://sites.google.com/site/openpostcode/calculations/technical-specifi

The 7xx was sold with PON or PONC compatibility.

Answer the following 3 questions please.

1. Did you release a LOC8 FIX for Garmin navi 7xx series satnav units or do the owners have a useless brick since you completely dropped PON or PONC code in favour of this LOC8 thing. ??!!

2. How can we be sure you won't do the same thing when Garmin upgrade from their current version x4xx units ???

3. It was called PON or PONC in 2008 and 2009 and 2010 It is called LOC8 now. What will you call it in 2013 and WILL YOU GUARANTEE backward compatibility with LOC8 from 2013 onwards. ??

Ah I see where you are coming from:

1. Loc8 (or previously GPS Ireland) does not produce solutions for Garmin devices - Garmin licenses the Loc8 Code capability and delivers it into its own software.

2. As Loc8 Code is in full relaese and commercailly released by Garmin - Loc8 will be supported on supported devices for their full lifetime.

3. PON Codes were only ever beta test as clearly indicated at the time - they were never commercailly released on the 7XX devices and those who applied them were very much aware that they were a limited beta release for testing only.

Loc8 is now full release and a commercially delivered Location code product and the Garmin devices it is supported on are chosen by Garmin themselves with details on Garmin's and Loc8's website and will be fully supported in each case till end of life. Furthermore, Garmin's new range for release shortly will also support Loc8 Codes but full details to come soon.

With respect to the point8 app relaesed by one touch solutions, they will continue to support the application for relevant devices till end of life.

Anyone with related support queries feel free to contact support@loc8code.com

you're a nutter.

same kind of argument you have delivered all day - no answers just unsubstantiated claims and insult - says it all really - sorry your unchallenged reign on boards.ie ended today!

I answered your questions darling; just time you stopped talking and we all went to sleep. I described you as a nutter because your response to my defense of you and ordinary decency was to attack again and constantly repeat the same wrong issues.

I answered your questions darling; just time you stopped talking and we all went to sleep. I described you as a nutter because your response to my defense of you and ordinary decency was to attack again and constantly repeat the same wrong issues.

Sleep well - issues will be the same tomorrow!

Sleep well - issues will be the same tomorrow!

No upgrade path from PON / PONC to LOC8 for Garmin 7xx devices you mean.

2. As Loc8 Code is in full relaese and commercailly released by Garmin - Loc8 will be supported on supported devices for their full lifetime.
    Which lifetime, LOC8 or current Garmin models.

Then.....what ????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

same kind of argument you have delivered all day - no answers just unsubstantiated claims and insult - says it all really - sorry your unchallenged reign on boards.ie ended today!

Plenty of evidence on wikipedia

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

SPDUB wrote: »
    Plenty of evidence on wikipedia

Mod

SPDUB, personal attacks on another poster won't be tolerated. I don't see any evidence on wikipedia that GaryDubh was banned. Even if he was it's not relevant to this forum. Attack the post not the poster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

dubhthach wrote: »
    Mod

SPDUB, personal attacks on another poster won't be tolerated. I don't see any evidence on wikipedia that GaryDubh was banned. Even if he was it's not relevant to this forum. Attack the post not the poster.
    I'm going to bed - you're a nutter.

That's not a personal attack ?

Maybe it was the distraction caused by the Spat with Openstreetmap ......as well as the one with the Wikipedia....

How pointing out that a poster has "issues" on other forums and , I only mentioned one of those forums , when those "issues" appear to be arising here isn't relevant I am puzzled

You're right - calling the black-gary a nutter was wrong. I apologise. The word nutter was however chosen by me to be jovial rather than insulting and was based on the lateness of the hour, no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

SPDUB wrote: »
    That's not a personal attack ?

How pointing out that a poster has "issues" on other forums and , I only mentioned one of those forums , when those "issues" appear to be arising here isn't relevant I am puzzled

If you got a problem with posts hit the "Report Post" button, as it's a thread I'm not following I can't see every little item.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Lads forget about compatibility with Satnavs, those are being replaced with phones anyway. My iPhone craps all over my Garmin Nuvi for navigation.

spacetweek wrote: »
    Lads forget about compatibility with Satnavs, those are being replaced with phones anyway. My iPhone craps all over my Garmin Nuvi for navigation.

True, and I use Open Streetmap for urban navigation and Yahoo for rural navigation on my Android phone anyway and it works very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Well, here we are coming to the end of another year . . . .

No Postcodes yet :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

LordSutch wrote: »

Tender got lost in the post on the way to the DoE?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

spacetweek wrote: »

It doesn't really matter what type of device it is, dedicated SatNav, Mobile Phone, iPad, GPS or even Galileo, you will still need some way of entering the address in a sensible way to find anything.

LordSutch wrote: »

That's no surprise really..........

sure for God sake - there is nothing but talk by DCENR and Government regarding postcodes since 2005 - in the meantime a working system has already been delivered in Loc8 Code...

some talk - others just do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

That's no surprise really..........

sure for God sake - there is nothing but talk by DCENR and Government regarding postcodes since 2005 - in the meantime a working system has already been delivered in Loc8 Code...

some talk - others just do!

Apart from loc8 codes not working for all addresses. Still

If Loc8 codes don't have a database of all addresses then it's useless.
    a 7 character(1letter,6number) code will identify a 100m^2 area without coding, a 9 character grid reference will identify a 10m^2 area.
    If I have to navigate on a website to find out my own address for loc8 codes, sher what's the point? Still

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement