Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Postcodes to be introduced

Options

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

recedite wrote: »
    The first strawman above in bold; who actually says that?
    Try reading the post I was replying to.
    You could check the location on the eircode finder website back in the office, and then convert GPS co-ordinates. Its possible, but time consuming and error prone.
    You want time consuming and error prone, try ringing people for directions.

I'll keep reiterating this point, because you keep ducking and weaving around it: Eircodes are working for me. Could they work better? Yup. Will they work better? Probably. Are they an order of magnitude better than what I had before? Hells to the yes.

And that's my point to the naysayers, including those on this very thread saying frankly idiotic things like Eircodes were designed to fail. They are helping my business, and there are relatively few things the government do that I can say that about.
    The second strawman is also nonsense. If it were designed differently, the code would always relate to the co-ordinates of the address via a single formula or algorithm. In other words it would be a code, and not just a reference number. As such, it could be input into a standard type sat-nav device without requiring any internet access, and the device would calculate the route etc. in the normal way.

Not one single person in the ten-year history of my company has ever used a "standard type sat-nav device" to find a customer. The idea that a geocode would be an improvement because it would force me to outfit my fleet with a secondary navigation device in each one is, frankly, farcical.

Yes, I need Internet access to get full use of Eircodes. When that becomes the show-stopper some people are determined to imagine it is, I'll let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Trouwe Ier

and still it goes on.....ehem, surely co-incidental that loc8code retweeted GetLostEircodes' message within seconds! No sign as of yet of a gracious tactical withdrawal.

How competent is any one of us to declare someone or something to be incompetent?

loc8code retweeted
    GetLostEircodes 6:40pm via Twitter for Android
    Yes @AlexWhiteTD Irish Water is an embarrassment but u backed it to the hilt with useless #Eircode People will DIE because of your decision
    1 retweet 1 favorite
    GetLostEircodes 6:40pm via Twitter for Android
    Yes @AlexWhiteTD Irish Water is an embarrassment but u backed it to the hilt with useless #Eircode People will DIE because of your decision
    1 retweet 1 favorite
    Pillar_Citizen retweeted
    caulmick 5:31pm via Twitter for Android
    Video #Eircode more incompetence from collapsing coalition #not1pipe
    Loc8 Code @loc8code
    @shane_malley @caulmick youtube.com/watch?v=l3Lthm…
    6 retweets 2 favorites

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭clewbays

Looks like Eircode files are finally available according to Gamma website (see below). Anyone know if Capita were set any take-up rates as part of the contract? An Post said they would be helpful for Christmas cards sorting, Capita better get a move on to encourage usage. A new TV ad showing how Eircode Finder can be used would be a start.

Gamma is happy to announce that it is now officially a certified Eircode Provider and has access to the Eircode Address Database (ECAD) and the Eircode Address File (ECAF).

While obviously excited to finally get to grips with the postcode data, it will take us a few days before we can start offering our planned products and services around the new database.

For the moment, we are working to get to grips with the data. Stay tuned for further updates from Gamma on our plans for the data.

Data Solutions GIS Retail

News in Data Solutions GIS Retail on 06-August-2015

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

GJG wrote: »
    But how different? The view taken was that a single character in the entire address was not enough. I happen to agree, partly because I worked in a business where we regularly got post for addresses only vaguely similar to ours.

You can disagree with me, fine, but even if you disagree, it's hardly an unreasonably minimum threshold to set, four distinct characters as the minimum difference between addresses.
    The question is whether the benefit of this (being able to correct errors when codes are called out over the phone etc) outweighs the fact that it rules out the use of geocodes.

Geocodes are better in two very significant ways:

1) they can be implemented on satnavs much more easily. It;s a simple algorithm, that never needs to be updated (code takes up 10's of k rather than 20 MB that continually needs to be updated)

2) geocodes allow navigation to any possible location, not just postal locations.

So, does the benefit of being able to correct/detect errors when calling out codes over the phone, out weigh those two benefits that a geocode would provide?

Objectively, I don't think so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Calina wrote: »
    Not everyone uses either or both. This has been pointed out to you several times. Also, 20Mb represents quite a few photographs on a smart phone.

But fine. We will wind up doing what we always do in this country which is make do.

My phone has 1.15GB internal storage, but that's because its laughably old and outdated at 5 years old. I still have 224MB to spare. If all that becomes a squeeze, I can just push it onto the relatively small 32GB SD card. It has only about a gig free, because 28GB are taken up with mostly music, apps, photos and video.
    I could just get a 64 or 128 gig SD card.
    You wanted to know how many pics 20MB represent? At 8 megapixel, about 10 pics.

To put this into perspective, I had a 90's Sony camcorder. It had a slot for memory stick up to 128MB. So finding a spare 20MB hasn't been a problem for about 20 years or so. Unless someone uses 80's technology, 20MB was a stretch then.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

My phone has 1.15GB internal storage, but that's because its laughably old and outdated at 5 years old. I still have 224MB to spare. If all that becomes a squeeze, I can just push it onto the relatively small 32GB SD card. It has only about a gig free, because 28GB are taken up with mostly music, apps, photos and video.
    I could just get a 64 or 128 gig SD card.
    You wanted to know how many pics 20MB represent? At 8 megapixel, about 10 pics.

To put this into perspective, I had a 90's Sony camcorder. It had a slot for memory stick up to 128MB. So finding a spare 20MB hasn't been a problem for about 20 years or so. Unless someone uses 80's technology, 20MB was a stretch then.

I have a GPS that's not that ancient, and it can no longer take (even with the memory card extension in use) the whole of the Europe database, so an additional 20Mb for Ireland becomes moot.

I've watched the exchanges on the Eircode issues for several weeks, and the more I look at what's going on, the more I realise that the underlying problems are (as always) the incredible parochialism of the decision makers of Ireland.

Yes, there are significant advantages in having a system that won't allow address variations for a location, as that will help reduce potential fraud and other related issues, but that's only one issue.

What would have been much more helpful from a tourism aspect, and we keep hearing how important it is for Ireland to be tourism friendly, would have been to have the ability for the Irish Code system to be capable of having the ability to provide a universal information system that would allow the sharing of a location across multiple platforms without needing any form of database access or internet lookup service, while it's possible to do just about anything with a mobile/internet network access, there are still significant parts of the country where mobile coverage is sporadic or non existent, especially for data download purposes, and the costs of data downloads for tourists who will be on a roaming package can be horrendous, so if they have any sense, mobile data is switched off. I wonder how the new technology that is being mandated by the EU will work here, where a vehicle involved in a collision will automatically report the event to a central monitoring station, the concept is excellent, the implementation will be "interesting", especially here, given how unreliable mobile technology is in some of the more remote parts of the country. I have problems getting a reliable mobile service less than 5 miles from Dublin Airport, and almost within sight of the "digital fibre" ring around the city, and I know from experience that some of the more remote parts of Mayo are just not covered at present, as there's so few living there to provide mobile coverage for.

Eircode by the nature and manner of it's construction is limited, it would have been much more helpful to have had a national location system where an unambiguous location can be instantly available to be passed to the emergency services, but that then has the problem that it defeats the anti fraud aspects of the Eircode implementation, we have no way of knowing what "internal deals" were made as part of the negotiations between the state and the eventual provider of the service, but that opens a whole can of worms in relation to "state services", which are still a mess in terms of inter communication, but that really needs to be the subject of a separate thread.

And yes, I do know that it's possible to get Lat Long data from a GPS, and in parts of the country it's possible to triangulate a mobile phone location to a reasonable accuracy, but as far as I know, the emergency services don't at present have an instant look up application to show that information on a map to give to the first responders.

Eircode could have been much more user friendly, and cheaper to use for small business, the use of large area codes that match the An Post delivery route structure means that it's not at all easy to work out some sort of delivery routing, and for some businesses, that's important, but as mentioned above, I do wonder about behind the scenes influence on the final choices, we will never know what pressures might have been applied.

At this stage, arguing about it won't change anything, the die is cast, and changing it now would be an even bigger nightmare, so we're going to have to find ways to use what's there.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

To put that in context, Angry Birds 2 takes up 200Mb on my phone, other games can take up to 500Mb. As of a year ago, smartphone penetration was 72 per cent, growing at 14.7 per cent per quarter. I don't think we need to worry much. Source.

One of my friends didn't have a smart phone. But she lost that phone and got a smart phone instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Bray Head

The argument about patchy 3g coverage and costly data roaming is irrelevant, particularly when eircode is on google maps, which is highly likely to happen.

Here's what will happen:
    • Tourist looks up location using google maps on hotel wifi on smartphone using the eircode of their destination
    • Tourist then switches off wi-fi and indeed data roaming too
    • Tourist starts to drive guided by smartphone which has stored the route and GPS co-ordinates of destination
    • Tourist arrives happy at destination, not having once had to rely on Ireland's very poor network of road signage

In any case data roaming is set to fall in the EU in the next number of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭bluesteel

Not everyone uses either or both. This has been pointed out to you several times. Also, 20Mb represents quite a few photographs on a smart phone.

But fine. We will wind up doing what we always do in this country which is make do.

just to be clear: you want a Post Code which everyone will be able to read and decipher without using Smart Phone/recourse to a centralised database? you recognize the compromises that this will involved - specifically the inherent redundancy that will be required in the codes. You don't mind that it would add several characters to the code making it more difficult to read because you think the acceptance among the tiny majority of smartphone-less people outweighs these disadvantages?

The fact is that 80% of the utility of the codes will be derived from 5% of the population who deliver packages, check for fraud, provide utilities and social welfare services. i.e. the people who keep the show on the road in this benighted country. These people use technology as part of their jobs every day.

A tiny number of keyboard warriors and bar stool experts should not drive the requirements of a code which they will barely use anyway. NIMBYs, cranks and vested interests already get far too much attention in this country.

BTW I just downloaded the Here maps Ireland offline map. The size : 127.5 MB./ Another 20 MB will hardly break the bank, I mean phone....

Bray Head wrote: »
    The argument about patchy 3g coverage and costly data roaming is irrelevant, particularly when eircode is on google maps, which is highly likely to happen.

Here's what will happen:
    • Tourist looks up location using google maps on hotel wifi on smartphone using the eircode of their destination
    • Tourist starts to drive guided by smartphone which has stored the route and GPS co-ordinates of destination
    • Tourist arrives happy at destination, not having once had to rely on Ireland's very poor network of road signage

or get a free offline maps like maps.me or HERE (Nokia) Maps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

Here's what will happen:

I have the TomTom app on my phone. The Western European maps are 5Gb so even a couple of of hundred MB isn't going to make a difference.

Right now I can look up an Eircode on finder.Eircode.ie and when I select 'Get directions' my phone gives me the option of using TomTom or Google Maps (if I had another app from Garmin or others I could use those too). No coverage needed once I have the location as others have mentioned.

I've been in the UK trying to find businesses in industrial estates which have been given recent new postcodes that haven't yet been updated to TomTom etc and this has been a problem. This isn't unique to Eircode.

There are lots of valid criticisms of Eircode but I don't think file size or mobile coverage is one the top ones I would pick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

bluesteel wrote: »
    or get a free offline maps like maps.me or HERE (Nokia) Maps

Waze gets very good reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Aimead

ukoda wrote: »
    Loc8 received government funding from Enterprise Ireland, …..
    That’s still not an apples to apples comparison…..
    In its most recent iteration it was designed to be a postcode…..
    When you say ‘postcode’ you mean ‘postcode with crippled functionality’.

If you want to argue that the functionality I have been championing, the functionality we were lead to believe the national postcode would have, the functionality that featured heavily in the submissions during the consultation period, etc., had to be dispensed with then let’s have that argument. I don’t see any sensible reason (and I’ve explained in depth previously why not) why that functionality was dispensed.

Unless you are going to try arguing that the functionality needed to be dispense with, then I don’t see how referring to ‘its most recent iteration’ addresses anything I’ve said.
    PS: would it kill you to apply a bit of brevity and levity to your posts?
    In the present case brevity doesn’t make the point needed. That material shows just how out-of-kilter the “most recent iteration” was with the recommendations and submissions. What was the point of soliciting expertise if the intention was to utterly ignore it???
    plodder wrote: »
    Exactly, it's very important that people realise if there is no public consultation when it comes to designing important national infrastructure, then what you get is not guaranteed to be in the public interest.
    Except that, as I have repeated previously, on this there was public consultation but it was utterly ignored. Instances where there is no public consultation are problematic, but what of situations where the public consultation is seemingly just for show and there was never any intention of taking it on board?

I remember, I think it was Patrica Cronin, echoing the department’s press release during one of the committee hearings by saying “The Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources said it had consulted widely with stakeholders, including An Post and commercial delivery companies, to ensure that the national postcode system would effectively meet consumer and business needs.” The problem is that if you compare every submission made by those in the logistics industry with Eircode you’d see what a waste of time that consultation was. Telling everyone you engaging significantly with the stateholders is a great way to sell a bill of goods, so long as nobody realises that ‘engaged’ also includes ‘ignored’.
    I am willing to concede when people say a particular judgement call should have gone the other way, and they seem to have a point, but that is a totally different thing to saying that the decision was utterly wrong.
    I’ll come out and say it – the decision to divorce the code from a geocode was utterly wrong.
    … a hierarchical or sequential code means that the closer the properties, the more similar their codes, so there would be the least difference between properties that share addresses. If someone is unwilling or incapable of understanding why that is a very bad idea, there is little point in engaging with them.
    I already explained how this was solvable in this very thread……
    A self-service code, where people can generate multiple codes for the same property, and codes that cover multiple properties would eliminate much of that functionality.
    Only if you designed it like a moron. Introduce a z-axis into the geocode with non-zero Z values reserved for database validation. People can generate as many codes as they like, but only the non-zero z-axis values would be the official code for the property.
    I'm happy to discuss the details,…..
    Easy to state, less easy to follow through on.
    If you ever work in management, you will learn why waiting for perfection is a bad idea
    Wanting to keep the functionality and interoperability that comes with a geocode, which was discussed in depth in many of the submissions, is totally like waiting for perfection…..
    Eircode took the view that having just a single character to distinguish all of those houses was simply too error-prone.
    Which is why Eircode devised error correction mechanisms in the code to detect single digit errors. Oh wait, they didn’t. The technology for developing such codes is nearly two decades old now, so what’s the excuse for not using it given it solves the above problem easily and would have preserved all the functionality of a geocode?
    At no point has he said "I just don't like how the letter groupings look, dude".
    She.
    oscarBravo wrote: »
    The point both Aimead and you are carefully avoiding is that his use case is very much an edge case,…
    Her.

While you can try arguing that my situation is an ‘edge case’, the only reason it is a problem is because a geocode was dispensed with. How many other such ‘edge cases’ arise because of that? There are a few local festivals that are held yearly, and they tend to be in different locations depending on the weather and the quality of the available fields. Every time when they’re in a different location it is a fecking disaster for people trying to find them. The attendees on festival day are generally fine, they are signposts and volunteers out the roads so they’re grand – the problem is the people taking in the supplies needed to set the thing up in the days beforehand. Every year, without fail, some poor farmer with their stock or machinery or whatever gets lost and can’t a signal on the phone. I know that one of the organisers and he was disappointed that Eircode won’t be of any help. It’s another ‘edge case’, but one that wouldn’t be a problem had Eircode gone geocode.

Another thing that needs highlighting is that, had Eircode been geocode-based, then combining it with software (like Excel) would be trivial. This very point about interoperability was made repeatedly in the submissions. The thing is that you can always single out each problem as being an ‘edge case’, but these problem ‘edge cases’ all arise from the same design mistake.
    Maybe you should tell Aimead to use street numbers.
    I’m picturing the scenario now. Telling the farmers they need to have numbering on their fields, and have it displayed at each gap. I’m going to have troll someone with that one.
    ukoda wrote: »
    Any postcode is limited in use without a device of some sort.

Can't navigate without a device
    Can't route plan without a device
    Can't do address validation without a device
    Can't find a destination without a device
    Aside from address validation, which imo should be a non-issue since I’m assuming someone who wants goods delivered won’t lie about their address, why can’t you do these without a device? People were able to plan deliveries before computers became commonplace you know.
    moyners wrote: »
    I've been in the UK trying to find businesses in industrial estates which have been given recent new postcodes that haven't yet been updated to TomTom etc and this has been a problem. This isn't unique to Eircode.
    Had Eircode been geocode based you’d never have this issue since it would be an algorithmic conversion as far as SatNavs are concerned.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Aimead wrote: »
    Her.
    Apologies for the mis-gendering.
    While you can try arguing that my situation is an ‘edge case’, the only reason it is a problem is because a geocode was dispensed with.
    You're continuing to argue as if a postal code based on an algorithmic geocode would be the perfect answer to all the criticisms levelled against Eircode, just because it would have avoided your personal edge case (and some of mine).

But that's just not true. Look at some of the other criticisms on this thread alone: the code should have been based on small areas - impossible with an algorithmic geocode. The code should be based on more granular post towns - impossible with an algorithmic geocode.

I'll make a point yet again: it is logically impossible to have a code that would address every criticism that has been levelled against Eircodes, while also meeting all the design criteria. When people make the argument that it could have been better, they're basically saying that it could have been better for them.

There are lots of things that, were they different, would be better for me personally. Does that mean that they are wrong, or a disaster, or "designed to fail"? No, it means that you can't successfully address conflicting requirements.
    I’m picturing the scenario now. Telling the farmers they need to have numbering on their fields, and have it displayed at each gap. I’m going to have troll someone with that one.
    Maybe start with the poster I was responding to:
    Street numbering is already more useful.

You're continuing to argue as if a postal code based on an algorithmic geocode would be the perfect answer to all the criticisms levelled against Eircode…..
    I don’t understand how you got that from my posts, and to be frank it is a pretty blatant strawman.

Let me backup on the train of thought. Calina referenced my posts highlighting problems with Eircode as it pertains to logistics distribution. You brushed this off as being an ‘edge case’. I responded that when you strip out a huge chunk of functionality, as was done by discarding a geocode-based design, you in turn create more of those sorts of edge cases.

If person A presents a (fairly) decent argument and person B says something moronic, then does it really make sense to use person B as a stick to beat person A with? It shouldn’t, but that’s just what you’ve done here.
    But that's just not true. Look at some of the other criticisms on this thread alone: the code should have been based on small areas - impossible with an algorithmic geocode. The code should be based on more granular post towns - impossible with an algorithmic geocode.
    ????
    For the first is, say, 5mx5m area not small enough?? For the second, the only reason that criticism arose (afaiui) is because the routing key is the only part of Eircode that contains geographical information and is clearly not granular enough to be much use, a criticism that wouldn’t arise if the whole code was geographical information (as it would be in a geocode).
    When people make the argument that it could have been better, they're basically saying that it could have been better for them.
    In some cases this may be true, but there are plenty of examples where it isn’t true. The interoperability with Google Maps is a great example of where it would have been better for a sizeable portion of the population.
    No, it means that you can't successfully address conflicting requirements.
    I haven’t seen anyone raise an insurmountable problem with geocodes and what Eircode delivered btw…..

But let me get to the biggest problem in your post: “I'll make a point yet again: it is logically impossible to have a code that would address every criticism that has been levelled against Eircodes, while also meeting all the design criteria.

My contention is that the geocode functionality, the benefits of which were discussed in depth in the submissions, should never have been stripped out. I have little intention of defending every criticism made against Eircode (I don’t agree with all of them so why would I attempt defending them????), and have focused solely on those that A) made sense to me and B) were reasonably avoidable. It does have to be said that the geocode functionality, and the interoperability it would have brought, seems like it would have solved a sizeable stack of those criticisms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Aimead wrote: »
    That’s still not an apples to apples comparison…..

When you say ‘postcode’ you mean ‘postcode with crippled functionality’.

If you want to argue that the functionality I have been championing, the functionality we were lead to believe the national postcode would have, the functionality that featured heavily in the submissions during the consultation period, etc., had to be dispensed with then let’s have that argument. I don’t see any sensible reason (and I’ve explained in depth previously why not) why that functionality was dispensed.

Unless you are going to try arguing that the functionality needed to be dispense with, then I don’t see how referring to ‘its most recent iteration’ addresses anything I’ve said.
    In the present case brevity doesn’t make the point needed. That material shows just how out-of-kilter the “most recent iteration” was with the recommendations and submissions. What was the point of soliciting expertise if the intention was to utterly ignore it???

Except that, as I have repeated previously, on this there was public consultation but it was utterly ignored. Instances where there is no public consultation are problematic, but what of situations where the public consultation is seemingly just for show and there was never any intention of taking it on board?

I remember, I think it was Patrica Cronin, echoing the department’s press release during one of the committee hearings by saying “The Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources said it had consulted widely with stakeholders, including An Post and commercial delivery companies, to ensure that the national postcode system would effectively meet consumer and business needs.” The problem is that if you compare every submission made by those in the logistics industry with Eircode you’d see what a waste of time that consultation was. Telling everyone you engaging significantly with the stateholders is a great way to sell a bill of goods, so long as nobody realises that ‘engaged’ also includes ‘ignored’.

I’ll come out and say it – the decision to divorce the code from a geocode was utterly wrong.
    I already explained how this was solvable in this very thread……
    Only if you designed it like a moron. Introduce a z-axis into the geocode with non-zero Z values reserved for database validation. People can generate as many codes as they like, but only the non-zero z-axis values would be the official code for the property.
    Easy to state, less easy to follow through on.
    Wanting to keep the functionality and interoperability that comes with a geocode, which was discussed in depth in many of the submissions, is totally like waiting for perfection…..

Which is why Eircode devised error correction mechanisms in the code to detect single digit errors. Oh wait, they didn’t. The technology for developing such codes is nearly two decades old now, so what’s the excuse for not using it given it solves the above problem easily and would have preserved all the functionality of a geocode?

She.

Her.

While you can try arguing that my situation is an ‘edge case’, the only reason it is a problem is because a geocode was dispensed with. How many other such ‘edge cases’ arise because of that? There are a few local festivals that are held yearly, and they tend to be in different locations depending on the weather and the quality of the available fields. Every time when they’re in a different location it is a fecking disaster for people trying to find them. The attendees on festival day are generally fine, they are signposts and volunteers out the roads so they’re grand – the problem is the people taking in the supplies needed to set the thing up in the days beforehand. Every year, without fail, some poor farmer with their stock or machinery or whatever gets lost and can’t a signal on the phone. I know that one of the organisers and he was disappointed that Eircode won’t be of any help. It’s another ‘edge case’, but one that wouldn’t be a problem had Eircode gone geocode.

Another thing that needs highlighting is that, had Eircode been geocode-based, then combining it with software (like Excel) would be trivial. This very point about interoperability was made repeatedly in the submissions. The thing is that you can always single out each problem as being an ‘edge case’, but these problem ‘edge cases’ all arise from the same design mistake.

Aside from address validation, which imo should be a non-issue since I’m assuming someone who wants goods delivered won’t lie about their address, why can’t you do these without a device? People were able to plan deliveries before computers became commonplace you know.

Had Eircode been geocode based you’d never have this issue since it would be an algorithmic conversion as far as SatNavs are concerned.

Light-hearted and succint as ever! :P Eircodes give otherwise non-unique addresses in rural Ireland a unique identification code, and allow people to navigate to these addresses. Which is an advance on pretty much any other postcode that exists in any other country. Looking forward to your pithy, witty reply... :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Light-hearted and succint as ever! :P Eircodes give otherwise non-unique addresses in rural Ireland a unique identification code, and allow people to navigate to these addresses. Which is an advance on pretty much any other postcode that exists in any other country. Looking forward to your pithy, witty reply... :D

Is that the only saving grace of Eircodes. The Revenue already had that for their LPT gathering exercise. Why did we not use that code?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Bayberry wrote: »
    I find that an absolutely staggering statement.

So do I. Eircode is by far and away not the best solution. In fact I would go as far as to say it is almost totally useless.

https://twitter.com/DrtmargTony/status/630477274035392512

Is this a thing now? Denis O'Brien is Eircode?? :rolleyes:

Retweeted by Loc8Code of course...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

moyners wrote: »

So that's confirmation from Garmin that they are working to get ericode on their devices.

Can people shut up now with the "sat navs won't use it" crap we've had to endure for the last few years.

Id say loc8 are pretty sickened by that revelation, one of their major anti eircode arguments gone up in smoke

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

So do I. Eircode is by far and away not the best solution. In fact I would go as far as to say it is almost totally useless.

From a state services point of view, the opposite is true. The nature of Eircode is such that it will make a number of ways to perpetrate fraud almost impossible once they can insist on the use of Eircode for address validation. The issues of single parent cohabiting, false declaration of address information, misleading address information, non delivered court or fine notifications, a number of insurance fraud scams, most of these will be very much harder or even impossible with Eircode validation being used to confirm address details, to the extent that I have to wonder if a non disclosed instruction was perhaps given to the Eircode designers by the State that the codes allocated to properties had to be sufficiently secure that it would not be possible to generate more than one code per property.

The news that Garmin are looking at implementing Eircode is indeed good, that will make direct navigation to an address a lot simpler, presuming that the person looking for the address knows the subtle inaccuracies of the underlying address structure, as a very specific example, the vast majority of tourists looking for Shannon Airport are not going to be aware that the "official" address is Limerick, rather than Co Clare. If the user is given the Eircode, then it solves the issue, the requirement then is for the Sat Nav to be capable of converting that code to a lat Long or geocode that will work with the on board database, and if it can do that without having web or external database access, then one of the major criticisms of Eircode will be negated, though the inability to be able to route plan multiple drops without access to a database will still remain, due to the over large areas covered by each route coding.

As I've already commented elsewhere, we're stuck with Eircode now, no amount of sniping or constructive criticism, regardless of how valid the criticism, is going to change the implementation.

So, we now have to wait for the people that are good at conversions to come up with some good tools to enable the use of Eircode within other applications. I just hope that the cost of access to the database doesn't make the projects a non starter, for a long time, GPS mapping of Ireland was a joke, and much of that was directly attributable to the obscene pricing that was put on digital mapping data access by Ordnance Survey Ireland.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Trouwe Ier

Yes, four weeks in, it's not perfect at all but it's helping me a lot at work and it's good to see that Garmin are on the case. I would second the comments about use by state services. I am aware of a number of questionable claimants who might be flushed out if they have to stump up an eircode. Perhaps it's less of a post code and more of an "address verification code". To paraphrase the insurance industry, we all pay for fraud.

Did anyone receive an "official" letter yet with an Eircode on it? I didn't but I presume that my television licence reminder and maybe that for my car insurance will be so addressed.

P.S. - The road signage for Shannon Airport is pretty comprehensive by the way.....However, in Shannon Town itself there are a lot of conspicuous street name signs facing traffic at about 1m up off the ground on the distributor roads.....but most of them are in Irish only. Someone probably thought that it would a nice patriotic idea. Some of the streets in question are not even named on Google Maps and I presume that "Bóthar Brí" translates as "Bree Road" perhaps. I was also in the Industrial Estate over the weekend and the signage within, to get me back out was very poor.

I am more following this thread out of amusement at this point. I haven't learned anything new for a while.

Essentially eircode is just a publically-available reference for the entry in the geodirectory. That's all it is.

People could have similar osbscure debates about the system used to generate the unique code you find on your passport. The sum of human knowledge would not improve much. No postcode or addressing system in the world facilitates deliveries to the middle of fields by the way.

There are a lot of low- to middle-income countries in the world with no postcodes and often haphazard address systems too. In coming years expect a lot of them to go with a system very like eircode.

Trouwe Ier wrote: »

Did anyone receive an "official" letter yet with an Eircode on it? I didn't but I presume that my television licence reminder and maybe that for my car insurance will be so addressed.

This could only happen in two ways:
    1) You've given the body your eircode. I have been in touch with both Revenue, my bank and my insurance company over the last month. I haven't been asked for my eircode. They clearly don't have a policy (yet) of asking all customers to supply their eircode to populate their database.

2) The body in question already has their address database tied to the geodirectory. I am not a coder but I guess it would be feasible to run a script to add eircodes where there are unambiguous matches to the existing address database. Although even the very small risk of error might not make it worth it. And in any case if you use geodirectory-based addresses as much as possible then you shouldn't have too much problem with non-delivery.

So my guess (and I'd welcome more expert opinions than mine) is that the population of large databases with eircodes will be bottom-up rather than top-down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

From a state services point of view, the opposite is true. The nature of Eircode is such that it will make a number of ways to perpetrate fraud almost impossible once they can insist on the use of Eircode for address validation. The issues of single parent cohabiting, false declaration of address information, misleading address information, non delivered court or fine notifications, a number of insurance fraud scams, most of these will be very much harder or even impossible with Eircode validation being used to confirm address details, to the extent that I have to wonder if a non disclosed instruction was perhaps given to the Eircode designers by the State that the codes allocated to properties had to be sufficiently secure that it would not be possible to generate more than one code per property.
    I have to point out that this could have been the same with a geocode. It's not the code itself that provides the benefits above (though to say it will solve all those problems is a stretch), it is the database of valid Eircodes. Without the database, people could easily make use of unused Eircodes and that wouldn't necessarily be found out.

A database can also be used very easily with a gecode. There is actually no difference between geocodes and Eircode in this respect.
    The news that Garmin are looking at implementing Eircode is indeed good, that will make direct navigation to an address a lot simpler, presuming that the person looking for the address knows the subtle inaccuracies of the underlying address structure, as a very specific example, the vast majority of tourists looking for Shannon Airport are not going to be aware that the "official" address is Limerick, rather than Co Clare. If the user is given the Eircode, then it solves the issue, the requirement then is for the Sat Nav to be capable of converting that code to a lat Long or geocode that will work with the on board database, and if it can do that without having web or external database access, then one of the major criticisms of Eircode will be negated, though the inability to be able to route plan multiple drops without access to a database will still remain, due to the over large areas covered by each route coding.

As I've already commented elsewhere, we're stuck with Eircode now, no amount of sniping or constructive criticism, regardless of how valid the criticism, is going to change the implementation.
    That is true. But, it's important still that history doesn't get rewritten.
    So, we now have to wait for the people that are good at conversions to come up with some good tools to enable the use of Eircode within other applications. I just hope that the cost of access to the database doesn't make the projects a non starter, for a long time, GPS mapping of Ireland was a joke, and much of that was directly attributable to the obscene pricing that was put on digital mapping data access by Ordnance Survey Ireland.
    If a license-free geocode had been chosen (not loc8) then there would likely be a plethora of applications already because:-
    a) no license means no cost, which means no barriers.
    b) we would already know the algorithm for converting the codes to geo-coordinates. It would obviously have been beneficial to have them ready for the launch. Unfortunately, just as the Geodirectory was expensive and under-utilised, the same could happen with Eircode.
    BrayHead wrote:
    There are a lot of low- to middle-income countries in the world with no postcodes and often haphazard address systems too. In coming years expect a lot of them to go with a system very like eircode
    I think that is most unlikely, unless they already have a technically sophisticated system like Geodirectory in existence, then an Eircode won't be feasible. A geocode would be much more simple and feasible.

But, I agree that the question will be an interesting benchmark to compare Eircode against.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭larchill

I see the passport application process is being improved, & will include eircode on the revised application form. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I've noticed that Google Maps has stopped breaking when you include the postcode, good to see that they're on the way to full integration.

No postcode or addressing system in the world facilitates deliveries to the middle of fields by the way.
    Loc8 and OpenPostCode do. I’m not mentioning that to promote them, just showing that working examples that provide this already exist and work well for the purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ManAboutCouch

So my guess (and I'd welcome more expert opinions than mine) is that the population of large databases with eircodes will be bottom-up rather than top-down.

Part of the Eircode project was adding eircodes to public sector databases. 46 million eircodes were added to these databases.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement