Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Postcodes to be introduced

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

ukoda wrote: »
    under current law, all the company has to do is update its terms of service to say an eircode is required to avail of their product or service.

Then don't do business with such companies. Is it compulsory to do business with companies that you as a private individual don't want to do business with?

Would you be willing to take a service provider to court if they refuse to serve you without a postcode?

No, I'd just take my business elsewhere. Given that I'm not actually compelled to do business with any particular private company, and given that there is nothing stopping companies adding my eircode to their databases anyway with no consent required (in the same way that there is nothing stopping a company adding another unique identification code, such as an account number or customer id number to the details they hold about me with no consent required) what would be the point of them refusing to do business with me? And what would be the point of ne refusing to do business with them given that they can add my eircode to the information they hold about me without my consent? It's open to any company to add a unique identifucation code to the information they hold about an individual, whether that code is an eircode or not, without that individual's consent. The only way to get data removed under the DPA is if it's inaccurate, out of date or no longer required for the purposes it was originally acquired for. I live in England. If I refuse to give a business my postcode they can simply look it up and add it to my file. I can't force them to remove it under the DPA unless my postcode changes.

No, I'd just take my business elsewhere. Given that I'm not actually compelled to do business with any particular private company, and given that there is nothing stopping companies adding my eircode to their databases anyway with no consent required (in the same way that there is nothing stopping a company adding another unique identification code, such as an account number or customer id number to the details they hold about me with no consent required) what would be the point of them refusing to do business with me? And what would be the point of ne refusing to do business with them given that they can add my eircode to the information they hold about me without my consent? It's open to any company to add a unique identifucation code to the information they hold about an individual, whether that code is an eircode or not, without that individual's consent. The only way to get data removed under the DPA is if it's inaccurate, out of date or no longer required for the purposes it was originally acquired for. I live in England. If I refuse to give a business my postcode they can simply look it up and add it to my file. I can't force them to remove it under the DPA unless my postcode changes.
    So what's your problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

Then don't do business with such companies. Is it compulsory to do business with companies that you as a private individual don't want to do business with?

I presume you mean don't do business with them? That's all well and good, but what if all providers of the service you require don't provide it without an ericode? I think then suddenly it's compulsary!

Examples:
    Car insurance
    Utilities

You kinda need these things and if they all require eircode then you've nowhere else to go. Now you have to provide it if you want electricity for example

It's kind of a moot point- because if you don't provide it, in most cases they could just look it up anyway

So what's your problem!

MY problem? I don't have any problem. You must be confused.

• Advertisement

I presume you mean don't do business with them? That's all well and good, but what if all providers of the service you require don't provide it without an ericode? I think then suddenly it's compulsary!

Examples:
    Car insurance
    Utilities

You kinda need these things and if they all require eircode then you've nowhere else to go. Now you have to provide it if you want electricity for example

Nope. There are minimum service provisions for essential services, even privatised utilities. In effect I can force someone to provide me with essential services - at a cost of course.
    It's kind of a moot point- because if you don't provide it, in most cases they could just look it up anyway

Which is what I said in an earlier post. Try to keep up folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

Nope. There are minimum service provisions for essential services, even privatised utilities. In effect I can force someone to provide me with essential services - at a cost of course.

Which is what I said in an earlier post. Try to keep up folks!

Ah but you cannot force a company to provide you with an essential service if you don't provide them with your address for the service, and technically eircode is now part of your address.

MY problem? I don't have any problem. You must be confused.
    The problem with freely providing a postcode upon request, that problem.

Ah but you cannot force a company to provide you with an essential service if you don't provide them with your address for the service, and technically eircode is now part of your address.

But not a compulsory to provide or use part of your address...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭TheChizler

But not a compulsory to provide or use part of your address...
    Neither is any other part of your address.

• Advertisement

The problem with freely providing a postcode upon request, that problem.

I have no problem with providing my postcode freely on request - I do it all the time here in England.

I was responding to a hypothetical scenario. :rolleyes:

TheChizler wrote: »
    Neither is any other part of your address.

Indeed. But you'd need to provide at least some information which can identify where you live and which distinguishes it from other places to the satisfaction of the utility company or other service provider. If they're satisfied then you're fine. Utility companies provide services to non postal locations all the time. As long as they've got a way of sending the bills to the person responsible for the bills they're more than happy to provide the services. When I lived in Ireland I owned a flat in Scotland. Insurers and utility companies provided me with services for the flat even though I obviously didn't have a UK postcode at the Irish address where I lived.

And if I ever forgot the postcode for the flat in Scotland (which I often did since I didn't live there), they were able to look it up. And even if I had refused to provide them with the postcode for whatever reason (not that I'm the type of crank that would refuse), they could still have looked it up and added it to the information they held about me without my consent.

In summary, all these concerns about customers having to compulsorily provide eircodes are a load of waffle. They won't have to for the very good reason that companies will be able to look them up and add them to your file without your consent.

This discussion has raised some useful issues regarding Loc8.

We've been told that Eircode having a monopoly on being the official state postcode database is a bad thing.

Of necessity this implies that any postcode which has a monopoly would be a bad thing.

If monopoly postcodes are a bad thing then we should allow competing postcodes - I'm sure that would be a cutting edge solution. As another poster pointed out, how could you be sure that the courier company trying to deliver to you uses the same code as you use?

We've been told that Loc8 (or any other person/company holding a Loc8 code) would have to remove any Loc8 code associated with a property on request.

Theoretically this could mean that the Loc8 database could consist of one Loc8 code (assuming nobody in Loc8 objected to Loc8 holding a Loc8 code for Loc8's offices! ) if everyone else requested the removal of their Loc8 codes, which would obviously hamper its usefulness as a location code.

Presumably every other postcode/location code would be subject to the same constraints and could end up with a nearly empty database if most people objected to the holding of the codes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭Aimead

Bayberry wrote: »
    Why the fixation on Loc8?

You do understand that the concept of a geo-code isn't something exclusive to Loc8, it's just one particular implementation that was designed with the physical size of the island of Ireland in mind? I'm not sure why you think that an algorithm that can be written out in a few lines of code would be enough to make a company a "major force in the geocoding sector".
    It is disappointing that the above needed to be pointed out.

Also disappointing is that people seem to (almost deliberately) miss why people like me refer to Loc8 in first place. I only refer to it as a working example of a geocode that provides functionality that Eircode does not, to demonstrate that such functionality isn’t technically difficult. Personally I find OpenPostcode to be superior but, given the way this ‘debate’ has progressed, I doubt as many people would have heard of it and hence why I didn’t reference it.
    I asked why it was still an SME after all these years if it's such a great product.
    Because the product is largely trivial. Why use Loc8 when there are more open alternatives (eg: OpenPostcode) and a standard that is used worldwide that already does the same thing (GPS)? More importantly, why would the vast majority of people use it when it isn’t an officially recognised standard?

Do people not grasp that, from a purely technical perspective, neither Loc8 nor Eircode are anything special? An algorithmic conversion from GPS with a checksum thrown in isn’t anything revolutionary (that’s all Loc8 is). A pseudo-random code to act as a database look up isn’t anything revolutionary (that’s all Eircode is, and your fecking telephone number already has this functionality).
    Bray Head wrote: »
    Which one of the three Loc8 codes I have generated for my house would have been posted to me?
    Whichever is closest to the GPS in the geodirectory, and then that would have been your property’s official postcode (and the only one that would pass database validation).

I have already posted in depth how to combine a geocode with a database of official addresses but, in all seriousness, I’m sure you could have worked out the solution if you were being anyway charitable. I’m also pretty sure I’ve explained why I wouldn’t have used Loc8 in its current from too, but hey.
    plodder wrote: »
    Having said that, even if we decided to have a geocode, I don't see how it could have been loc8, or any other proprietary code (I don't really believe it was offered for free unconditionally). We would have just created a "different" geocode for zero cost, with no restrictions.
    Pretty much this ^. What the State supports is, by definition, the national standard.
    GJG wrote: »
    The reason I did the test was because Loc8 supporter(s) …..
    When you are quite finished with them would you care to address some of my posts please? Would be appreciated.
    Of necessity this implies that any postcode which has a monopoly would be a bad thing.
    I think you’ve missed the bigger issue here.

There are two different functions being provided here. The first function is address validation, and for that to work in any sensible way that needs to be operated by a single entity with government backing. In a sense the government departments and An Post are sharing information to construct the geodirectory which is what addresses are being validated against. For this the issue of ‘being a monopoly’ isn’t a bad thing (and is a necessity in order for it to work).

The second function is for making deliveries and generally facilitating the finding of different locations. Because Eircode isn’t an ‘open’ code they have a monopoly on this portion, and that most certainly is a problem. The obvious example is in how designing Eircode to be a complete match to An Post’s distribution network makes a mockery of any attempt to introduce competition. It forces those who wish to use Eircodes into using Eircode approved systems and suppliers. Had Eircode been an ‘open’ code there would have been no monopoly issues, and all within the logistics industry (as well as those who supply them with software and other services) would have been on equal footing. Think of GPS and how so many diverse devices and software applications could make use of it due to it being an ‘open’ standard – even Google Maps makes extensive use of it, and many software applications* that use Google Map data use GPS for interoperability.

* Real-world example to illustrate. A while ago I was contracted to devise a delivery plan covering a sizeable portion of mainland Europe. For simplicity assume this was a typical travelling salesman problem only with multiple salesmen. In order to do any analysis you need a method of comparing different proposed routings (in other words you need to be able to tell if proposal A is better or worse than proposal B). One of the key things you need to do for problems like this is to have a ‘sensible metric’. A simple example of a metric might be distance between delivery locations. In the real world raw distance tends to be a poor metric, and what we used at the time was Google Maps’ journey times. You can get Google Maps to spit out an XML file with the data using this URL:
    http://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/distancematrix/xml?origins=*,*|*,*|*,*&destinations=*,*|*,*|*,*

Replace each * with the relevant GPS number.The XML has distance data too, but the bit we were interested in was the time data. There are some limitations to using the URL, such as maximum 100 entries at a time etc., but the key thing is that because Google Maps worked with an open code (in this case GPS) we were able to make use of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,309 ✭✭✭plodder

No it isn't comparable. Just because a unique identifying code has been allocated to each postal address (not to each property - a field is property but it won't have an eircode) doesn't mean its use is compulsory. Now if you were talking about the unique identification code allocated to each registered motor vehicle you might have had a point.
    This is quite tedious all right, because the above is irrelevant. The fact that the state has assigned an official postcode to all properties, which receive post and which for many purposes don't have to be used by the property owner or occupant, is still an enormous boost to that postcode. This is so obvious it seems ridiculous to be arguing about it. So, I will not argue the point further
    By the way which section of the Data Protection Act prevents Loc8 (or any other company) from setting up a database that allocates a unique identification code to every address? The DPA gives you a right to see what information a data controller has on you and to ask for its removal or alteration if it's wrong, out of date or if it's no longer required for the purposes for which it was created or acquired.
    Eircode is exempt from Section 6A (right of data subject to object to processing likely to cause damage or distress). Loc8 is not.

‘Why do you sit out here all alone?’ said Alice…..
    ‘Why, because there’s nobody with me!’ cried Humpty Dumpty.‘Did you think I didn’t know the answer to that?’

This is quite tedious all right, because the above is irrelevant. The fact that the state has assigned an official postcode to all properties, which receive post and which for many purposes don't have to be used by the property owner or occupant, is still an enormous boost to that postcode. This is so obvious it seems ridiculous to be arguing about it. So, I will not argue the point further

Argue what point exactly? And what stage have I ever claimed that the state's involvement was a hindrance to eircode? You seem to be arguing with yourself rather than me.
    Eircode is exempt from Section 6A (right of data subject to object to processing likely to cause damage or distress). Loc8 is not.

Can you tell me how allocation of a unique identification code or unique piece of information (e.g. a bank account number, a telephone number, a uniquely numbered street address in a particular town) is likely to cause damage or distress?

Aimead wrote: »
    Why use Loc8 when there are more open alternatives (eg: OpenPostcode) and a standard that is used worldwide that already does the same thing (GPS)? More importantly, why would the vast majority of people use it when it isn’t an officially recognised standard?

Because apparently it's the best thing since buttered sliced bread. Or at least that's the impression that a few people on this thread are trying to give.
    I think you’ve missed the bigger issue here.

I'm not the one moaning about this. Read the post a bit more carefully. Other people are moaning about this. I've posted what I believe to be the logical outcome of their argument that state monopolies are a bad thing.

PS: as succinct and entertaining as ever. :rolleyes:

Why the fixation on Loc8?

You do understand that the concept of a geo-code isn't something exclusive to Loc8, it's just one particular implementation that was designed with the physical size of the island of Ireland in mind? I'm not sure why you think that an algorithm that can be written out in a few lines of code would be enough to make a company a "major force in the geocoding sector".

Jesus you people are really seriously unable to read and understand. :rolleyes:

I didn't claim that a few lines of code would be enough to make a company a "major force in the geocoding sector" nor do I think it would.

I asked why Loc8, if it's so fúcking great, as some people on this thread have claimed, isn't a major force in the gecoding sector.

Have you people never heard of rhetorical questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

Jesus you people are really seriously unable to read and understand. :rolleyes:

I didn't claim that a few lines of code would be enough to make a company a "major force in the geocoding sector" nor do I think it would.

I asked why Loc8, if it's so fúcking great, as some people on this thread have claimed, isn't a major force in the gecoding sector.

Would you care to actually quote some of these people that you say have claimed that "Loc8, i[..]s so fúcking great" rather than building up a strawman that you can knock down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Originally Posted by Bayberry
    Why the fixation on Loc8? .........

probably just the "salesmanship" working on them

http://www.checkcompany.co.uk/director/5143473/-GARY-DELANEY

http://www.timesharetalk.co.uk/index.php?topic=12143.0

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Autoaddress

Hello everyone,
    I think it's time to close this thread as National Postcodes have been introduced. We're not trying to stifle debate, and there is plenty to discuss in the implementation phase, but continuing to argue about what design would have been better is now pointless.

We blogged about the Eircode design in two posts dated 11th April and 15th April on our website for anyone that's interested, so we're not going to rehash any arguments or respond to any particular posts.

Data was only released to Eircode Providers on 6th August, so adoption will only begin to occur over the next number of months. We've outlined in our most recent blog how there has been tremendous interest in Eircode adoption, but these projects take time to implement, a number will only be planned this year for adoption next year. The understandable scepticism surrounding postcode introduction in Ireland ("how many years have I heard that promise?") meant that an actual launch was the only certain way to convince business that Eircode was going to launch.

Claims of who won't be using Eircode, how it can't be used by certain industries, can't fit on Sat-Navs, etc. will be refuted with evidence in the coming months in the same manner as claims that the Rock of Cashel won't have a postcode or there will only be one for all of UCD.

We would like to thank a number of contributors who have brought reason and often much needed humour to the discussion, but don't want to offend anyone by leaving them off the list, or create fuel for a new conspiracy (they're all working for Autoaddress, masterminded by Jim Corr, etc. etc.)

While there are many objections to the Eircode design there is only one edge-case we are aware of that isn't facilitated by the Eircode Address Database and Eircode design. Last week saw the integration by Google Maps of PlusCodes, a worldwide open standard location code, free for anyone to adopt. We would encourage those who need to deliver to non-building locations to investigate this.

• Advertisement

Would you care to actually quote some of these people that you say have claimed that "Loc8, i[..]s so fúcking great" rather than building up a strawman that you can knock down?
    garydubh wrote: »
    Looks like you've missed all the previous discussion on this.

Seems you are referring to use of a truncated Irish National Grid coordinate - i.e. leave off the last 2 digits (of a trunacted 10 character code - normally 12 charcters) for 100*100 square area. Yes that would indeed give to an area based location and the same with a 9 character code. However there are related issues which Loc8 Code has resolved:

1. Irish National Grid is no longer the official Grid system of Ireland - ITM is.
    2. If you are using a grid reference of any sort you have no control over the source of the code - i.e anyone can generate a grid refernece - from GPS, digital maps, paper maps, GIS etc etc - so therefore if you have one of these codes you have no idea as to its pedigree - i.e. who created it and to what accuracy - there can be multiple versions of the same code with varying degree of accuracy - end result is that nobody could rely on a single code without checking its source. This defeats one of the objectives of a "postcode" i.e. it should be immediately recognisable and its source and pedigree immediately known. In addition, if there are two grid systems in use in the country (ITM & ING) then this will also lead to confusion.
    3. Delivering a series of numerals (except for 1 letter) as a code does not result in a coding system which is predictable or validateable and if a mistake is made there will be no obvious indicator. So your argument will be that that's what they have in the US and in various N European countries. True but in those countries they have a unique addressing system with named roads and property numbers to act as a further check. If a Zip code as written is in error, then the address which includes an unambiguous property number and road name will resolve the problem. In Ireland if an incorrect numeral based code is written on a parcel, in the case of over 40% of Irish properties (urban and rural) the address will not be able to solve the problem and therefore nothing will have been achieved.
    4. A code which is predominantly numerals in itself is difficult to validate as a code - i.e. scanning software would not be able to positively identify the code amongst all other possible numbers on a parcel - reference no., telephone of sender, telephone of receiver, AWB number etc etc etc.
    5. 100m squared accuracy could have you on a Motorway rather than at the Hotel (situated beside the motorway) - meaning you could have to travel several kilometers to get off the motorway and navigate back by traditional sign post!
    6. Why would you select an 9 character code with no error checking when you can have an 8 character Loc8 Code which is more accurate and has error checking built in and can be validated! (those making suggestions regarding postcodes should be aware that the capability to be validated is a key requirement for any coding system which will be depended on to deliver goods and services )
    7. Because Loc8 Code can work without an address database on disconnected mobile devices, you do not need an expensive address database to validate codes - software/scanners just need to check against the robust rules associated with the construction of the code and these rules in the case of a Loc8 Code will positively identify a Loc8 Code!

So Loc8 Codes have resolved all the above issues; identified by their developer in 30 years of a career related to navigation, surveying, mapping and positioning and as a direct result of several years research done in designing the code;- and not just untested and unthought through ideas thrown out during inconsequential conversation here or elsewhere.

Furthermore Loc8 Code does have access to a database of addresses:

1. Its own.
    2. that belonging to OSI and OSNI as used in its web mapping service at Loc8code.com
    3. Geodirectory - a Loc8 Code has already been associated with every address in the GeoDirectory for several users but for now An Post has chosen not to allow this option be publically available.

In the Loc8 Code service you are invited to identify your own desired Loc8 Code on the OSI/OSNI mapping (and related databases) for the following reasons:

1. To resolve the ambiguity that the address prompting that Geodirectory supports cannot resolve for 40%+ of the properties in its database.
    2. Many destinations may not be a fixed properties at all and no database can satisfy all such possibilties - there are approximately 500,000 non fixed property based destinations/delivery points used in Ireland every day - that a static address database could not support. If you want a truck to deliver to a particular gate on an idustrial site - the Loc8 Code service can support this - no address database can! Of Course, if Loc8 Code was being rolled out as a Government backed system (not necessary) then An Post would probably release Geodirectory with Loc8 Codes attached as already completed.
    3. Also, the Loc8 Code process uses a map interface so that errors can be resolved by the person occupying the property who knows the facts and to allow other information useful to delivery services be associated with the property code. One example is entrance Loc8 Codes which many Loc8 Code users have created as this alone solves many headaches for clients and service providers trying to get to places.

Lots and Lots of ideas and suggestions have been repeated on here for several years now. However, Loc8 Code has done more than make suggestions - it has used its experience, it has invested finances and resources, (put its money where its mouth is) it has trialled and tested a solution and it has delivered a full working solution which deals with all the technical requirements, and it has done this in such a way that it is robust and useable - even by emergency services - it is already being used by commercial service providers, emergency services and many more and it is supported on commercial navigation tools. There is no other that has been discussed or proposed over the last 6 years that actually has been delivered as a complete service like Loc8 Codes!

Loc8 Codes are now used by more than 5,000 businesses in Ireland - on their websites, correspondence and promotional material - why?- because it helps people find them - it works and it can be easily used!

Postcodes have been discussed now for nearly 6 years in Ireland. If people including DCENR feel the need to continue the discussion ad infinitum - that's fine - but Loc8 Codes have already moved on!

I love in the arse end of nowhere and havent got a house name yet. Giving diredtions for the house is a royal pain. for dleiveries of beds tellies, carpets.... everything really i used loc8 and thank god i had it. I cant imagine anyone finding my place on directions alone and to be honest, i hope to god if i ever have to call an ambulance for something they will take my code cause they def wont find me. scary thought, people need to realise 1. that codes ARE NEEDED and 2. we dont need the government to implement them.
    Red Nissan wrote: »
    This post suggests to me that the poster does not understand Loc8Code, because Loc8Code does exactly that and MORE, one can assign a Loc8Code to the business office in a large complex, the maintenance department at the other end of the site and so forth, farmers already us it to identify their milking parlous rather than their actual letterbox for milk collection and servicing companies. And so on.

Anything else you'd like me to provide?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Hello everyone,
    I think it's time to close this thread as National Postcodes have been introduced. We're not trying to stifle debate, and there is plenty to discuss in the implementation phase, but continuing to argue about what design would have been better is now pointless.

The 2 bolded statements seem to contradict ye'reselves.

Why not post links to ye're blog?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,326 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Autoaddress, as you are posting on behalf of a company I have to ask you to refrain from posting any further until you have obtained a verified rep account from the guys in the office. They can be contacted at reps@boards.ie and I have made them aware that they should be hearing from you.

Please note that further posts without having first obtained a verified rep account will result in a siteban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Jack180570

Can people shut up now with the "sat navs won't use it" crap we've had to endure for the last few years.

Ukoda. Eircode DOES NOT WORK ON SATNAV.
    so why wouldn't we state the truth? It is the truth.
    Clearly you appear to have a problem with people telling the truth.
    Maybe it's time you 'shut up'....

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Jack180570 wrote: »
    Can people shut up now with the "sat navs won't use it" crap we've had to endure for the last few years.

Ukoda. Eircode DOES NOT WORK ON SATNAV.
    so why wouldn't we state the truth? It is the truth.
    Clearly you appear to have a problem with people telling the truth.
    Maybe it's time you 'shut up'....

At the moment. How about giving them a chance. These things take some time!

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

Anything else you'd like me to provide?
    So two posts from users who were banned over 3 years ago (I'm not going to speculate about why) and one post from a user who was simply pointing out that Loc8 (the technology, not the company) already does precisely what the person he was replying to said he wanted from eircode, without having to wait another year, is your evidence that there are people claiming that "Loc8, i[..]s so fúcking great"?

You're trying to build up a strawman so that you can knock it down. The company behind Loc8 could disappear into a hole tomorrow, and it wouldn't make any difference to Loc8 as a technology, because Loc8 codes are just geo-codes - they aren't assigned, they just exist. That's why your question about Loc8 the company being a "major force in the geocoding sector" is nonsense - while the company has put the time and effort into developing an algorithm to transcribe raw GPS coordinates into a more user-friendly form, that's all it is. From that point the company faces the classic chicken and egg scenario. If they had millions to spend on advertising it, and millions of guaranteed income from government departments mandated to pay a license to use the technology, no doubt they'd be a household name today, in much the same way that eircode are.

But keep on building up those straw men so that you can knock them down if that makes you feel better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Jack180570

But Eircode doesn't work on satnav Ukoda. .. so that's another totally irrelevant comment... again. Loc8 Code works on satnav.
    I think it's more the ease of use than the necessity that is eircodes advantage, when the sat navs are on board and google maps, it's just going to be so easy to get an eircode from a website and pop it into google maps without having to type the address.

It's a pain in the ass to put an address into a sat nav, it's much easier to put a 7 character code in and get the address on screen and click confirm.

So two posts from users who were banned over 3 years ago (I'm not going to speculate about why) and one post from a user who was simply pointing out that Loc8 (the technology, not the company) already does precisely what the person he was replying to said he wanted from eircode, without having to wait another year, is your evidence that there are people claiming that "Loc8, i[..]s so fúcking great"?

You're trying to build up a strawman so that you can knock it down. The company behind Loc8 could disappear into a hole tomorrow, and it wouldn't make any difference to Loc8 as a technology, because Loc8 codes are just geo-codes - they aren't assigned, they just exist. That's why your question about Loc8 the company being a "major force in the geocoding sector" is nonsense - while the company has put the time and effort into developing an algorithm to transcribe raw GPS coordinates into a more user-friendly form, that's all it is. From that point the company faces the classic chicken and egg scenario. If they had millions to spend on advertising it, and millions of guaranteed income from government departments mandated to pay a license to use the technology, no doubt they'd be a household name today, in much the same way that eircode are.

But keep on building up those straw men so that you can knock them down if that makes you feel better.

I said some people on this thread thought Loc8 was great. You asked for quotes, I supplied them. Now you're whinging that the quotes supplied aren't numerous enough (three is plenty unless you've got a different definition of some than the standard definition - plus I can't be bothered to go through the entire thread to satisfy Your Royal Whinyness) or that they're from banned posters. Did you specify a particular number of quotes when you made your petulant little demand? No you didn't. Did you specify quotes from currently active posters when you made your petulant little demand? No you didn't. And now you're trying to shift the goalposts. My response? GFYYIMFWACSPBKF! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I said some people on this thread thought Loc8 was great. You asked for quotes, I supplied them. Now you're whinging that the quotes supplied aren't numerous enough (three is plenty unless you've got a different definition of some than the standard definition - plus I can't be bothered to go through the entire thread to satisfy Your Royal Whinyness) or that they're from banned posters. Did you specify a particular number of quotes when you made your petulant little demand? No you didn't. Did you specify quotes from currently active posters when you made your petulant little demand? No you didn't. And now you're trying to shift the goalposts. My response? GFYYIMFWACSPBKF! :D

In a thread that has nearly 8000 posts you think three quotes are significant?

Wow.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭GJG

When you are quite finished with them would you care to address some of my posts please? Would be appreciated.

I don't generally read your posts, they are too long. Someone made an assertion. I thought it was wrong. I provided evidence to back up what I said. No need to get snarky.

If you put your points or questions in a couple one-line bullet points, I will have a go at answering.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement