Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Postcodes to be introduced

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

plodder wrote: »
    I don't think anybody is saying that. It makes sense for BT to cover the whole of Northern Ireland, but the next level doesn't have to follow counties or other administrative areas (as it happens counties aren't administrative areas in NI anyway).

The point that you're missing is that hierarchical areas are useful regardless of what the areas actually are, so long as they reasonably regular. It is very helpful if at the lowest level, the so-called small areas do at least align with administrative areas. And the Irish small areas, do align with electoral divisions, which are the smallest area that have a statutory basis.

Again you're responding to a point I didn't make. The only complaint I made about the BT postcode area was that it didn't have any link to NI placenames apart from Belfast, which isn't necessarily meaningful to someone from Co. Fermanagh or other parts of NI.

I don't know why people persist in not replying to this point instead of replying to some other points they've imagined I've made.

Could it be because they're DFAWANFC? :P
    It makes sense for BT to cover the whole of Northern Ireland, but the next level doesn't have to follow counties or other administrative areas (as it happens counties aren't administrative areas in NI anyway).

I don't see why it makes sense from the social perspective to use BT for all of Northern Ireland especially since postal counties (based largely on the historic counties of NI and other parts of the UK) were in use by Royal Mail as an official part of the correct postal address right up to 1996.

Here's a map of the now former postal counties that Royal Mail used up until 1996.

330px-British_former_postal_counties_%28numbered%29.svg.png

As you can see, there are six for NI, corresponding more or less to the six former administrative/historic counties of NI. These postal counties were used by Royal Mail as part of the correct, official postal address right up until 1996.

The names of the Royal Mail NI postal counties used up to 1996 were Co. Antrim, Co. Armagh, Co. Down, Co. Derry (accepted by Royal Mail as official or alternatively Co. Londonderry also accepted by RM as official), Co. Fermanagh and Co. Tyrone. Sound familiar? :P

Now if NI had been assigned the BT postcode area after 1996, it might have made sense for Royal Mail to ignore the counties of Northern Ireland and not to divide NI into smaller postcode areas based on the postal counties, using codes such as AM (Armagh), DN (Down) etc instead of just one BT code for all of NI.

But since postcodes were assigned to NI during a period when Royal Mail was using postal counties as an official part of postal addresses, then it seems to make little sense for Royal Mail to have ignored the NI postal counties when deciding on postcode area codes for NI.

If it was feasible for Royal Mail to carry on using the historic Scottish county names as the postal county element of official addresses right up to 1996 (even though many of the historic counties had been abolished as administrative areas by the 1974 local government reforms) then why wouldn't it have been feasible to carry on using the historic NI county names after 1974 and to assign postcode areas based on these postal counties (which in NI at least were pretty close in terms of their boundaries to the pre-reform historic counties) even if they were no longer used (as in most of Scotland) as administrative areas?
    The point that you're missing is that hierarchical areas are useful regardless of what the areas actually are, so long as they reasonably regular.

On that specific point, you might want to look at the maps I've posted of several UK postcode areas (AB, DG, DH, HR).

Can you discern any regular pattern common to all those postcode areas by which they're sub-divided into postal districts?

For example, the DH postcode area is sub-divided into 9 postal districts.

The numbering 'spirals' out from DH1 and we end up with DH8 being further away from DH6 than DH6 is from DH1!

500px-DH_postcode_area_map.svg.png

The HR postcode area is also sub-divided into 9 postal districts.

However, the way it's sub-divided doesn't follow the pattern of the sub-division of the DH postcode area.

And if you look at the DG postcode area you'll see that it uses two patterns to sub-divide into postal districts.

Broadly speaking, DG1 is the central postal district and postal districts DG2, DG3, DG4, DG5, DG6, DG7, DG8 and DG9 are to the west (sometimes south-west or north-west) of DG1.

Based on a visual inspection of DG1 to DG9 postcodes (and with some partial prior knowledge about the roughly east to west pattern) it would be reasonable to assume that DG10, DG11, DG12, DG13, DG14 and DG16 postcodes also follow the same roughly east to west pattern.

But they don't. All of those postal districts are to the east of DG1 and they're sorted roughly from north to south with three rows and two columns.

im570-800px-DG_postcode_area_map.svg.png

If we look at the AB postcode area we can see that it's roughly divided with odd first-number postal districts (i.e. AB1x and AB3x postal districts) in the southern part with even first-number postal districts (i.e. AB 2x and AB4x postal districts) in the northern part. However, the AB5x postal districts are mainly in the northern part too. And then there's the discrepancy in the AB3x postal districts whereby AB39 doesn't even come close to sharing a boundary, let alone being within the general vicinity, of AB38, unlike nearly all of the lower numbered A3x postal districts. For example, the largest village in AB38, Aberlour, is about 68 miles by road from Stonehaven, the largest town in the AB39 postal district.

550px-AB_postcode_area_map.svg.png

There isn't much regularity in the sub-division of UK postcode areas into numbered postal districts, is there? Perhaps the postal districts themselves use boundaries that are (partly) related to other boundaries (e.g. perhaps a postal district is made up of a collection of local authority wards, with some differences in its outer boundary to the outer boundaries of the wards) but adherence to pre-existing area boundaries (whether those areas are local authority wards or historic civil parishes or, most likely, local delivery office areas) doesn't explain why the numbering pattern of postal districts within postcode areas is so irregular, even to the extent of having two distinct patterns in the DG postcode area.

Would it have been so hard to start the DG numbering from east to west, with the eastern most postal district being DG1 and the highest numbered postal district (DG16) being at the western extremity of the postcode area (i.e. where DG9 is now)?

And would it have been so hard to have all postcode areas follow a similar pattern so that you would be able by visual inspection alone to see that a higher numbered postal district (e.g. AB55) was always to the west of a lower numbered postal district (e.g. AB11)?

Would it have been so hard to ensure that all postcode areas had numbered postal districts which started with 1, rather than having a few that start with much higher numbers (e.g. AB10 is the 'starting' postal district within the AB postcode area) or even lower numbers (e.g. CR0 is the 'starting' postal district within the CR postcode area)?

Following those numbering patterns (or any other regular pattern) might have been useful for the purpose of ensuring that the hierarchical areas that make up UK postcodes were "reasonably regular", thus making them a good deal more amenable to "useful" visual inspection.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Again you're responding to a point I didn't make. The only complaint I made about the BT postcode area was that it didn't have any link to NI placenames apart from Belfast, which isn't necessarily meaningful to someone from Co. Fermanagh or other parts of NI.

I don't know why people persist in not replying to this point instead of replying to some other points they've imagined I've made.

What have UK postcodes got to do with Eircode?

For that matter, the points raised by those advocating Eircode are usually termed as a comparrison with Loc8 and why that system is no good, not known, etc.

Eircode is a bad system because it is based on bad design decisions. Every argument put up againsed Eircode is parsed against those bad decisions like they were the only ones possible - that is, a circular argument. If it is not Eircode, then it is not a postcode. If it is not Eircode, then it must be Loc8. Loc8 is not a postcode. Therefore it must be Eircode.

The UK system was designed for manual sorting by postmen. The leading characters were designed to be easily recognised and remembered. It is a variable length code which is not great for computerisation - it is even variable length in both its parts. It has redundancy in that not all codes are used but that is the only error checking.

An Post do not need a postcode because they have advanced computerised systems that recognise the whole address, and do not want a postcode that would advantage their competitors, and reduce their own advantages of local knowledge.

Surprise, surprise, Eircode is useless other than give a PPS number for every address.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Autoaddress reply on Twitter.... PDF routing map.

https://twitter.com/newsfromftai/status/634730008511152128

Calina wrote: »
    And this is what I hate about ireland. Doing something badly is considered better than doing stuff properly.

It's not being done badly. It's being done excellently without rejigging the entire Irish address system at God knows what cost, over God knows what timeframe and with God knows what level of public resistance.

We've already seen how upset people are at learning that their postal address is not what they'd imagined it to be.

Can you imagine the level of public outrage if Irish postal addresses were further changed, if people were told they had to use a state-mandated postal address or their post wouldn't be delivered? :eek:

Cop on to yourself will you - Eircodes are the cheapest and most efficient solution to the problem of non-unique addresses in Ireland (35% of all addresses remember?) and also the ingrained habit of many Irish people who don't use their correct postal address.

BTW, I sell stuff online from my own website in the UK and on ebay UK.

Since 1996, postal counties haven't been part of the Royal Mail official postal address.

Guess what percentage of my ebay customers use the postal county name in their addresses? If you'd guessed 100% you'd be right.

My website allows people to either ignore a drop-down list of UK counties or to choose the 'correct' (i.e. incorrect since it's not part of the postal address - :P) county for the area, village, town or city they live in.

People in cities like Birmingham tend not to bother, nor do people in smaller cities like Leicester or Durham, especially since a. Royal Mail never required the use of Leicester, Leicestershire in the official postal address* and b. it just looks a bit fecking stupid to put Durham, Co. Durham on your address!

*Royal Mail had a list of locations where you didn't have to put the name of the county as part of the address.

But people in places like Bangor do (can't think why - :D) as do people in places like Ballymena or Coleraine or Torquay or Sidcup or Shrewsbury etc, etc etc.

Why? Because they like putting the name of the county on their addresses because they feel a connection with that county (even the modern, post-1974 counties, some of which have been abolished as administrative counties since), even though it means that their postal address is wrong.

When I lived in Stonehaven I thought I lived in Aberdeenshire. I was surprised to get lots of post, including from commercial organisations, with Kincardineshire on the address.

Not knowing what the hell Kincardinshire was I googled it. It was a small county which was abolished as an administrative county in 1974. But people are so attached to the county name, and so many businesses didn't bother fully updating their address databases, that it's use in addresses continues, more than 40 years after it was scrapped.

And guess what? From 1974 to 1996 Royal Mail accepted the names of the scrapped Scottish counties as part of the official postal address because of public resistance to changing addresses.

So if Royal Mail had to bow to public pressure in Scotland for over 20 years and keep defunct county names as part of official addresses, and if Royal Mail can't stop the majority of people in the UK from using county names in their address nearly 20 years after they were removed from official postal addresses, what makes you think that the Irish authorities would have any better luck in getting hundreds of thousands of people to adopt a new postal address format?

What have UK postcodes got to do with Eircode?

What has a comparison between the postcode used by Ireland's nearest neighbour and eircodes got to do with eircodes? Seriously?

Eircode is a bad system because it is based on bad design decisions. Every argument put up againsed Eircode is parsed against those bad decisions like they were the only ones possible - that is, a circular argument. If it is not Eircode, then it is not a postcode. If it is not Eircode, then it must be Loc8. Loc8 is not a postcode. Therefore it must be Eircode.

The UK system was designed for manual sorting by postmen. The leading characters were designed to be easily recognised and remembered. It is a variable length code which is not great for computerisation - it is even variable length in both its parts. It has redundancy in that not all codes are used but that is the only error checking.

An Post do not need a postcode because they have advanced computerised systems that recognise the whole address, and do not want a postcode that would advantage their competitors, and reduce their own advantages of local knowledge.

Surprise, surprise, Eircode is useless other than give a PPS number for every address.

Blah, blah, blah. SIWTSDS! :P

Eircode is a very good solution to the problem of non-unique addresses in Ireland. Every solution you've proposed would cost far more money, take far longer to implement and meet huge public resistance.

And eircodes are a lot more useful for situations like this:
    Not all house number / postcode combos are unique.

I used to live at 1, The Mews, Example Street, Postcode. "The Mews" was a row of five houses inserted in a gap in between 1 Example Street and 2 Example Street.

1, The Mews and 1 Example Street had the same house number and the same postcode.

The Post Office refused to alter the postcodes in any way and lots of mail regularly went to the wrong house, the gas company billed the wrong address, etc etc ad nauseum.

http://ask.metafilter.com/163838/How-short-can-I-make-my-home-address

BTW, check out 2 Watergate Street, Bandon, Co. Cork and see how many eircodes you get.

• Advertisement

Looking to deliver to a location that doesn't have an eircode?
    Autoaddress ‏@autoaddress Aug 13
    Delivering to locations that don't have an #Eircode ? Your solution has just arrived, algorithm is open source too! http://ausdroid.net/2015/08/13/google-announces-plus-codes-for-google-maps-for-more-pinpoint-accuracy/
    Tiger Cooke
    @tigercooke Tiger Cooke retweeted Get Lost Eircodes
    Pinpoint accuracy - What's more likely to get widespread adoption? #GoogleMaps' location code or #Eircode?
    Autoaddress ‏@autoaddress Aug 13
    Autoaddress retweeted Tiger Cooke
    They are wonderfully complimentary. Eircode + 4 char pluscode solves edge cases not suitable for a postcode design.

See how difficult it is to get people to accept address changes:
    The aim of this Directory is both to encourage the continued use of county names within postal addresses and to promote a return to the use of the historic counties as the standard county names used.

The Directory is essentially a list of the historic county for each post town of the UK. From this the historic county for any UK address can easily be determined.

Why include a “county line” in postal addresses?

Under the Royal Mail’s Flexible Addressing Policy there is no need to include any kind of “county line” at all in any UK postal address. However, there are good reasons to continue to use county names within most postal addresses since:

* they add invaluable geographical information to an address, making it instantly clear approximately where a particular address is located. There are around 1600 Post Towns in the UK. Few people could locate more than a small minority of these from memory. Most businesses, organisations and individuals will want to use a form of postal address from which their location is instantly clear. The county element is extremely useful in this context.

* they can be vital in enabling a determination of the full postal address on those millions of letters posted everyday where the postcode and/or Post Town names are missing or incorrect. There are numerous duplicate locality and post town names in the UK. The county information is critical to address matching in such cases.

* they are a simple but effective way of expressing pride and affection for one’s county.

Why Use the historic counties in postal addresses?
    Under the Royal Mail’s Flexible Addressing Policy, the historic county names can be used in any UK postal address.

The expression “historic county” is a way of referring to those ancient territorial areas into which the country has been divided for many centuries and which are commonly known simply as “the Counties”. These are the Counties of our history, our popular geography and our sense of cultural identity. They are the basis of innumerable social, sporting and cultural activities. They form a general-purpose geographical framework which is understood by most people. Above all else, they are places – places where people live and “come from”, where they “belong”.

Until 1974 the historic county names formed the “county” element in Post Office recommended postal addresses throughout most of the United Kingdom. However, in 1974, the Post Office changed the “postal counties” in Wales and some parts of England, basing the new ones on some of the new local government areas created in that year. Hence, such entities as “Avon”, “South Humberside” and “Dyfed” began to appear in postal addresses. However, these new “postal counties” were unpopular with many people and the historic county names have continued to be widely used in those areas affected. Furthermore, this policy was only applied to a part of the UK. In Scotland, Northern Ireland and much of England historic counties continued to form the “postal counties”.

Ironically, all but one of the local authorities from which the new 1974 “postal counties” took their names were abolished within 22 years ! Names such as “Clwyd”, “North Humberside” and “Cleveland” are now long since historically redundant. Meanwhile, of course, the historic counties in these areas continue to be important cultural and geographical entities. The lesson is clear. In areas such as postal addressing, it is clearly desirable to use a fixed geographical framework: one divorced from the very changing names and areas of administrative units but, instead, rooted in history, tradition, public affection and understanding. The historic counties provide this geographical framework and are the only sensible choice to use as the county element in postal addressing.

http://postal-counties.com/

Even though "under the Royal Mail’s Flexible Addressing Policy, the historic county names can be used in any UK postal address" they no longer form part of the official postal address.

If you input a UK postcode into Royal Mail's Postcode/Address Finder (http://www.royalmail.com/find-a-postcode) it will return the official postal address which no longer uses county names.

However, due to the fact that many people continue to use them, Royal Mail has had to adapt to customer demand and adopted a "Flexible Addressing Policy" which allows people to continue to use county names in addresses if they want to.

Does this sound vaguely familiar to anyone? Does the An Post policy of allowing people to use addresses which are not the official postal address sound like a Flexible Addressing Policy? Any thoughts from our 'change Irish addresses' faction?

There's even a helpful example of what an official Royal Mail postal address looks like and how to adapt it to include the optional, non-official but still allowed, county name as part of the address:
    Every UK address requires a post town and a postcode: these should be written in capital letters. Whilst a postal county is now an optional feature of an address, it can be included in any UK address if desired. It should be placed on a separate line between the post town and the postcode. The convention is that the postal county name refers to the County associated with the post town name.

To find the correct historic county for the following address

178 Chichester Road
    ARUNDEL
    NB18 0QB

one simply has to look up the post town, “ARUNDEL”, in the list of post towns in Column 1 and read off its historic county, “Sussex”, from Column 3. The address should then be written as:

178 Chichester Road
    ARUNDEL
    Sussex
    NB18 0QB

http://postal-counties.com/how-to-use-the-directory/
    Date: Thurs, 23 Oct 2003

Anna McCormack wrote:

> On that website it says: 'Under the Royal Mail's Flexible
    > Addressing policy, the correct traditional County name can now
    > be included in any U.K. postal address.'
    >
    > This must be a win for the Post Office, as I don't think they
    > ever surrendered the 'traditional' county names and borders

The PO does surrender traditional county names in certain
    circumstances. When I lived in East Bergholt in Suffolk, the PO
    testily removed 'Suffolk' because EB is in the postal area based
    on the postal town of Colchester which is in Essex, not Suffolk.
    However, I don't think they ever insisted on 'Essex', because PO
    addresses were based on postal towns rather than counties.

Now I live in Sutherland, which still exists for its inhabitants
    and for the Post Office, though politically it is just part of
    Highland. There is a sign as you enter from the south, stating
    'County of Sutherland', but as far as I know you have to consult
    a pre-1974 map to see the extent of the county.

http://www.electriceditors.net/edline/vol8/8-120.txt

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

It's not being done badly. It's being done excellently without rejigging the entire Irish address system at God knows what cost, over God knows what timeframe and with God knows what level of public resistance.

We've already seen how upset people are at learning that their postal address is not what they'd imagined it to be.

Most other countries manage for physical and postal addresses to be the same. The other point you might want to note is that technically, there is no actual Irish address system, but several localised address systems.

I have yet to see anyone come up with a good reason as to why Ireland is so special it can't have an address system where postal and physical addresses match up. You have certainly failed other than to bleat that people would go mad.

Of course they are going mad. Their physical and postal addresses don't match up. Maybe if they did, they wouldn't be complaining about the fact that their physical and postal addresses don't match up.

I'd also like to remind you that cost is never any objection to doing something in this country, when people want to do it. Hence we have successfully spent well over one hundred million on Irish Water so far, and there's the small matter of the Ringsend incinerator. So arguments of "god knows what cost" are pretty dubious in this country.

In the meantime, I'm aware that we're stuck with the current mess which is that a) addresses are apparently malleable b) physical and postal do not match up and c) the routing information in the postcode is somewhat limited because of the randomised nature of the last four characters in the code. I'm at the stage where I recognise that we are stuck with this situation. It would be nice if people could recognise that while we are stuck with it, it is not a fault free system.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Trouwe Ier

I got my Water Conservation Grant letter today with Department of Social Protection and "Environment, Community & Local Government" branding.

No sign of "Eircode appending" yet. I would have thought that the DSP would have been quick off their mark in that regard.

I've also had (AND PAIO!) bills from Bórd Gáis Energy, Eircom, Electric Ireland, banks and Irish Water since mid-July but "n'eircode".

"loc8code" went on the twitter "rantage" again between about 08.30 and 09.45 this morning.

Plus ca change!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Got letters from the RSA, NCT and the TV license crowd. No sign of eircode on any of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Most other countries manage for physical and postal addresses to be the same. The other point you might want to note is that technically, there is no actual Irish address system, but several localised address systems.
    This is the crux of the issue. Land registry and Registry of Deeds will use a townland/barony/County addressing system I'd say there are very few collisions of the same townland in the same barony, but no-one knows where the baronies boundaries are outside the prai and conveyancing solicitors.

An Post use a system that suited them for delivering mail at a time when mail was being delivered to ordinary people, not just those living in the Big House
    I have yet to see anyone come up with a good reason as to why Ireland is so special it can't have an address system where postal and physical addresses match up. You have certainly failed other than to bleat that people would go mad.

It could easily implement a system. But many people would not use it, and would get cross about it
    Of course they are going mad. Their physical and postal addresses don't match up. Maybe if they did, they wouldn't be complaining about the fact that their physical and postal addresses don't match up.

And a lot of people are cross about this.
    I'd also like to remind you that cost is never any objection to doing something in this country, when people want to do it. Hence we have successfully spent well over one hundred million on Irish Water so far, and there's the small matter of the Ringsend incinerator. So arguments of "god knows what cost" are pretty dubious in this country.
    While you have a fair point about a little bit of cost-be-damned attitudes, people use water and waste water services, and want to get rid of refuse, out of necessity. But there's no possible compulsion to using a certain addressing system.
    If you cut off someones water, sewerage and refuse collection, they're in a hole, but if you dont deliver post - Wahey no bills!
    In the meantime, I'm aware that we're stuck with the current mess which is that a) addresses are apparently malleable b) physical and postal do not match up and c) the routing information in the postcode is somewhat limited because of the randomised nature of the last four characters in the code. I'm at the stage where I recognise that we are stuck with this situation. It would be nice if people could recognise that while we are stuck with it, it is not a fault free system.

The fact the eircode is tied into An Post's delivery system means it's less likely to revert to a system of physical and postal address matching. Which is a big fault of eircode.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭plodder

Ok, but my point is that it doesn't matter all that much whether the code is BT or NI. Whatever the code is, it refers to Northern Ireland,

Could it be because they're DFAWANFC? :P

I don't see why it makes sense from the social perspective to use BT for all of Northern Ireland especially since postal counties (based largely on the historic counties of NI and other parts of the UK) were in use by Royal Mail as an official part of the correct postal address right up to 1996.

Here's a map of the now former postal counties that Royal Mail used up until 1996.

330px-British_former_postal_counties_%28numbered%29.svg.png

As you can see, there are six for NI, corresponding more or less to the six former administrative/historic counties of NI. These postal counties were used by Royal Mail as part of the correct, official postal address right up until 1996.

The names of the Royal Mail NI postal counties used up to 1996 were Co. Antrim, Co. Armagh, Co. Down, Co. Derry (accepted by Royal Mail as official or alternatively Co. Londonderry also accepted by RM as official), Co. Fermanagh and Co. Tyrone. Sound familiar? :P
    Interesting view of the history, but your point seems to be whether one set of hierarchical areas (historic counties) versus another (current postal areas) is better than the other. That is a second order problem. The debate here is whether the postcode should be based on hierarchical areas at all.

I really mean it when I say that any areas are better than none at all. As regards Eircode, I think the best design would have been to identify CSO small areas, and then aggregate them any way at all eg to suit An Post, or not etc.

As a positive contribution to the eircode situation.

It would be a good thing for planning permission to be granted along with an eircode
    This would allow deliveries of building materiel and allow utilities plan and deliver services for developments.

So what?

Does the fact that 'most other countries' have a particular system mean Ireland must adopt it?

Are you still at that childish stage of psychological development where 'everyone else is doing it, why can't I?' influences your behaviour?

I've yet to see a proposal to solve the problem that 35% of Irish addresses are non-unique which doesn't involve the wholesale addition of numbers and road names to rural townlands. How much would that cost, how long would it take and how would you overcome the public resistance to it? The cost, timescale and likely level of public resistance are very good reasons not to adopt this idea.

You're either you're very young or you've lived in some sort of bubble for most of your life.

Every single time that placenames or postal districts have been given an official format in the past which didn't equate with the wishes of the public in those locations, there have been massive protests.

Look at the controversy surrounding the change from Dingle to An Daingean - that controversy was replicated previously in Co. Cork (Charleville to Rath Lúirc) in Co. Longford (Edgeworthstown to Mostrim) and Co. Meath (Kells to Ceannanas Mór).

And what about the big fuss made over the proposal to create a Dublin 26 postal district?

In the end An Post went with D6W because of public pressure not to use a number that might have given the impression that people lived reasonably close to Tallaght in Dublin 24.

If you think that wholesale changes to addresses in Ireland, including the addition of numbers and road names to existing rural townland addresses, wouldn't cause a huge fuss, then you're either incredibly ill-informed or must have lived under a rock for most of your life.

Even the relatively minor changes to placenames and postal districts outlined above have caused huge public controversy in the localities where they were implemented or proposed.

This is what happened in Northern Ireland when changes were made to the rural townland system:
    Before 1972, townlands were included on all postal addresses throughout the island. However, in 1972 Royal Mail decided that the townland element of the address was obsolete in Northern Ireland.[10] Townland names were not banned but were deemed "superfluous information" and people were asked not to include them on addresses.[10] They would be replaced by house numbers, road names, and postcodes.[10] In response, the "Townlands Campaign" emerged to protest against the changes. It was described as a "ground-level community effort". Taking place in the midst of "The Troubles", the campaign was a rare example of unity between Catholics and Protestants, nationalists and unionists.[10] Townlands and their names "seem to have been considered as a shared resource and heritage".[10] Those involved in the campaign argued that, in many areas, people still strongly identified with their townlands and that this gave them a sense of belonging. Royal Mail's changes were seen as a severing of this link.[10]

At the time, the county councils were the government bodies responsible for validating such a change. However, as local government itself was undergoing changes, Royal Mail's decision was "allowed ... to become law almost by default".[10] County Fermanagh is the only Northern Ireland county that managed to resist the scheme completely.[10] Nevertheless, many newer road signs in parts of Northern Ireland now show townland names (see picture on the right). In 2001 the Northern Ireland Assembly passed a motion requesting government departments to make use of townland addresses in correspondence and publications.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Townland

What makes you think that it would be any different in the rest of the island of Ireland?

Do you think that Irish people are the type to meekly accept what the state dictates without fuss or bother if they're opposed to it?

If you do you must live in some fantasy version of Ireland.
    They're 'going mad' because they've just realised that their postal address is different from their physical address.

What do you propose to do about it?

The current solution is to let them continue to use their physical address if they want to instead of the postal address.

Eircodes are more than adequate to compensate for the mis-match.

Have either the UK or Ireland ground to a halt because a small subset of all postal addresses don't match physical addresses?

Is there any good reason for the Irish address system not to allow the kind of flexibility encouraged and allowed in the UK when it comes to non-standard addresses?

So basically you're arguing that because Irish Water and the Ringsend incinerator cost far in excess of what they should have we should throw money at changing the address system?

That's a reasonable argument. :rolleyes:

Addresses are malleable. They are very flexible in fact. You can use the postal address or the physical address or a combination of the two. And you can can use variant spelling of townland or village or town names, or you can use the Irish version(s) or the English version(s) and all will be accepted by An Post.

So what if eircodes are not fault free? Can you point out any human designed and implemented endeavour that's fault free? Does it do the best job given the existing circumstances? Yes, I can't think of any other system that would do the job as well without causing major disruption and incurring vastly more costs.

This is what happens when you use a postcode system that doesn't identify unique postal addresses in a rural townland system:
    Fifteen thousand rural properties in County Fermanagh are to be given a new address which will be recognised on computer databases for the first time, ending years of confusion and frustration for residents.

The local council has identified every property with a number and road name, along with a townland, giving everyone in the county an official address.

Over the years an unofficial rural address system has evolved in Fermanagh which has resulted in many people having difficulty with mail delivery, credit checks and obtaining goods and services such as mobile phones and car hire.

Concern that a new system would lead to the dropping of traditional townland names has meant local councillors have been arguing over a new official address system since 1986.

On Monday, the council will begin the process of informing residents of their new address, which will include a property number, road name and a townland.

Brendan Hegarty, chief executive of Fermanagh District Council, said: "On some occasions there have been problems with the emergency services actually finding the property and that obviously is a major concern."

Databases
    He said the unofficial system was not available in databases which meant government agencies and other service providers did not recognise many rural addresses.

Florist Clare Forde lives near Lisnaskea and currently has four unofficial addresses for her home.

"Derryree is the townland, we're also on the Brookeborough Road, we get Gortacharn and we also get Derryhurdin."

While her local postman has no problem finding her, she does have difficulties with other deliveries.

"Anything bank-related, anything mail order related, you do quite often get problems because they can't decide where you live, so they think you don't exist."

Properties which have not had a road number often get a DP number in online databases which stands for delivery point, but this can refer to multiple addresses across a wide area.

Leaflets outlining the changes are being sent to homes

Clare's business partner Anthony Benson is responsible for delivering flowers from their shop in Irvinestown and he says the current system can be a real headache.

"You're basically relying on people to give you directions, second road on the right, first lane on the left and so forth," he said,

"If you did a delivery maybe four or five miles out the road and you've just been given a very vague address it could take you 45 minutes."

It will take time for the new system to be fully implemented, but the council is urging people to start using their official address immediately.

It will also end the anomaly of several hundred homes in Cooneen near Brookeborough which have a County Tyrone postal address despite being in Fermanagh.

The council is sending out letters to properties affected by the change which will include an aerial photograph highlighting their property, along with their old unofficial address if known, and the new address.

The changes can also be seen on the What's My Address? website.

The new system is due to be implemented on 1 February, 2013.

However, Royal Mail is also expected to change the postcodes of some properties but these will not be finalised until the end of March.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-21110059

So 15,000 rural addresses were given numbers and road names in Co. Fermanagh, the least populated of NI's counties.

I wonder how many tens of thousands addresses had to be changed in the rest of NI, how much it cost and how long it took?

Actually we have an answer to the last one: the process began in NI in 1972 and wasn't completed until 2013 in Co. Fermanagh because "local councillors have been arguing over a new official address system since 1986"!

So it took only 41 years for all of NI to adopt the system of adding numbers and road names to rural townlands while it took Co. Fermanagh's councillors a mere 27 years to get the system agreed and implemented.

Sure why not replicate that agonisingly slow process across the entire island of Ireland? It's not as if local councils have anything more important to do is it? :rolleyes:
    It will also end the anomaly of several hundred homes in Cooneen near Brookeborough which have a County Tyrone postal address despite being in Fermanagh.

Sounds familiar, doesn't it? And it's not unique to the island of Ireland. It's very, very common in Britain too. See my previous posts over the last couple of pages for multiple examples, and for the reason why this is so prevalent.

If you want to put yourself to sleep, read this report of a debate in the Northern Ireland Assembly in 2001 on a resolution to encourage official bodies to use townland names in correspondence. Boring read though it is, it gives a vivid sense of the passions that the changes to rural townland addresses, especially the introduction of numbers and road names, generated in NI.

Here's a little snippet:
    Reference has been made to Post Office attempts to do away with townland names in the name of modernisation, to assign names and numbers to country roads, and perhaps to incorporate the name of one townland into the name of the road. On the surface, that might have appeared to be positive. However, it wiped out other townland names in the process.

I am mindful that the townland name was the postal address, and if it were still so, as it is in County Fermanagh and elsewhere in Ireland, it would be more accurate for ambulance services and doctors who are attempting to reach people in their homes. Mr Haughey will be familiar with Burn Road in Cookstown, which stretches for miles and miles. Drum Road is similar. Emergency services can get lost, and have to come back several miles to find their destination.

I want to draw attention to a problem for the people of Carrickmore in County Tyrone. Sixmilecross has a larger postal sorting office, which means that the very name of Carrickmore is threatened with extinction. Believe it or not, the postal address of Main Street, Carrickmore is now Main Street, Sixmilecross. We have tried to secure a meeting with Royal Mail to discuss the problem, but it is resistant. Nobody has a problem with Sixmilecross appearing beneath Carrickmore on a postal address, but it is simply unacceptable that it be used as a substitute.

http://archive.niassembly.gov.uk/record/reports/011001f.htm

You might want to read this book, especially the section about townlands in Ireland (pages 112 and 113) if you're unable to grasp the significance of placenames in people's lives.

Or perhaps read Catherine Nash:
    Accounts of the value of local history do not only centre on the potential for recovering
    forgotten shared histories. There is also the argument that the significance of local attachments
    and identities is common to all in Northern Ireland. The ‘common ground’ here is not, or not
    only, the land and landscape but a shared tradition of identification with the local. Indeed,
    recent local histories of local history and antiquarianism reveal the ways in which interest in the
    past could be shared by those with very different political perspectives.[30] In the literature of
    local historical studies, the local is presented as a good scale for research and a natural scale of
    identity. The ideal scale for local historical studies, they argue, is the townland, a sub-parish
    administrative and land-owning unit based on the traditional territorial division of the country
    (into counties, baronies, parishes and townlands) whose names and boundaries have largely
    survived.[31] Local history in its traditional rural mode is thus figured as a contemporary
    manifestation of a longstanding tradition of local identities centred on the townland. Many local
    societies are undertaking projects to record and map townland names and the names of very
    small local features – crossroads, wells, standing-stones, field-names – and in some cases erect
    stone markers denoting the townland names. Many of these projects have been prompted by the
    on-going campaign co-ordinated by the Federation for Ulster Local Studies to retain townland
    names as an essential part of the rural address system, and to have their cultural and practical
    significance reflected in the postcode system in Northern Ireland – a campaign that was
    celebrated as a cross-community defence of local names.[32] The significance of townland
    names and the sense that this local scale of identification is shared by all in Northern Ireland
    (and by all in Ireland), even though the national scale of identification remains fraught and
    divisive, is the subject and starting point of recent projects.[33]

http://www.aughty.org/pdf/local_hist_ni.pdf

Maybe you think this is all bollox, that people shouldn't have any sentimental attachment to placenames and that addresses should be rationalised despite people's objections.

Adopt that attitude if you like and see how far it gets you in rural Ireland.
    Since the early 1970s, placenames in Northern Ireland have become the focus of a popular campaign, neither to de-Anglicize the names nor to replace them with their earlier versions, but to conserve placenames in their current form. In 1973, the post office in Northern Ireland made the controversial decision to to implement a system for the modernization of postal deliveries in rural areas and (in order to use the newly devised postcode system) rural roads were named and houses allotted numbers along them. The person's name, house or farm name, townland name, and parish were replaced by a house number, road name and nearest postal town. The focus of this campaign were townlands, the smallest administrative unit of the land based on the traditional territorial division of the country into counties, baronies, parishes and townlands (Dallat 1991). The townland system is considered to be one of the

most distinguishing marks of Ireland and the term townland itself, while unknown in the homeland of the English language, is recognised in all parts of Ireland. (Ó Maolfabhail 1978, 3)

As a subdivision of the civil parish, there are over 60,000 townlands in Ireland as a whole, ranging in size from 50 acres to 250 acres (Mac Aodha 1989: Ó Maolfabhail 1991, viii). Though the post office did not prohibit the use of townland names, it was felt that their use was no longer necessary, recognized or legal. Now redundant in addresses, they would, it was felt, eventually no longer be used, spoken or remembered (Flanagan 1978). The rural road would be named with reference to one of the townlands through which it passed, but the remainder would be left superfluous to the new postal address system.

[...]

Resistance to the way the postcode system was being implemented was mainly expressed through the seminars, lobbying, petitions and publicity organized by the Townlands Sub-Committee of the Ulster Federation for Local Studies, an umbrella organization for many local groups [...]. In 1976, the Federation issued The post office and rural addresses in Northern Ireland - a federation statement, which sought to increase public awareness of the damage being done through the inappropriate use of postcodes and to channel resistance to the system [...]. More specifically, the Federation sought to revoke the power invested in the post office by the local district councils. On 13 October 1990 - designated Townlands Day - a petition of almost ten thousand signatures was submitted to government [...]. The post office has since conceded the right to use townland names on addresses.

[...]

According to the campaign documentation, once evidence appeared of the decline and disuse of the townland name, protest was mobilized against the post office in a cross-community effort to save the nomenclature of the Irish landscape from a linear, street-based system designed for English towns and cities, which would be inappropriate in the country. [...] Most apparent was the argument that the townland names were unique to Ireland and distinguished it from Wales, Scotland and England. [...] For Pat Loughrey, the second great threat to the communal identity of rural Ireland after mechanized agriculture comes from the post office.

The fact that country people do not live along roads was not allowed to impede the master plan. Linear addresses were imposed upon country communities who have always been known and have always know themselves by spatial divisions ... A generation of children are growing up who have never used their townland names in their addresses. A fundamental element in our identity is being lost.

Townland names, like the the landscape to which they relate, are precious records of the history, legends and mythology of their communities. For the countless generations who had no written literature, townland names became the index-cards upon which memories are stored. They are pages of our literary landscape, the focus of our oral tradition. (Loughrey 1986, 211)

Catherine Nash, Irish Placenames: Post-Colonial Locations, Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers, Vol. 24, No. 4 (1999), pp. 457-480.

But sure why bother preserving something that's unique to Ireland, a feature of our landscape and heritage that's been around for centuries?

Just introduce numbers and road names in rural areas and, even if townland names are still accepted as part of postal addresses, they'd fall into disuse because people would use No. Road, Post-town, County, Code as their postal addresses, leaving out the 'superfluous' townland name, just as has happened in Northern Ireland.

And for what? Because you can't accept that Ireland shouldn't always be like 'most other countries' and because you want a different postcode system.

Feck off you bloody culturally illiterate gombeen and feck off to all the other culturally illiterate gombeens who think that introducing house numbers and road names into rural Ireland, at the cost of Ireland's unique heritage of townland names, should even be contemplated as a solution to the problem of non-unique rural addresses, a problem that Eircodes have solved without any need to trash hundreds of years of culture and history.

As a positive contribution to the eircode situation.

It would be a good thing for planning permission to be granted along with an eircode
    This would allow deliveries of building materiel and allow utilities plan and deliver services for developments.

Planning permission doesn't require you to build. It's planning permission, not planning compulsion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭GJG

I've yet to see a proposal to solve the problem that 35% of Irish addresses are non-unique which doesn't involve the wholesale addition of numbers and road names to rural townlands. How much would that cost, how long would it take and how would you overcome the public resistance to it? The cost, timescale and likely level of public resistance are very good reasons not to adopt this idea.

Every single time that placenames or postal districts have been given an official format in the past which didn't equate with the wishes of the public in those locations, there have been massive protests.

Look at the controversy surrounding the change from Dingle to An Daingean - that controversy was replicated previously in Co. Cork (Charleville to Rath Lúirc) in Co. Longford (Edgeworthstown to Mostrim) and Co. Meath (Kells to Ceannanas Mór).

And what about the big fuss made over the proposal to create a Dublin 26 postal district?

In the end An Post went with D6W because of public pressure not to use a number that might have given the impression that people lived reasonably close to Tallaght in Dublin 24.

I think that your analysis is correct, but it is not the real reason that this is an invalid criticism of Eircode. The criticism is not valid because Ericode is no impediment to standardising addressing in Ireland. Such a project is no more difficult now than it was the day before Eircode was introduced, and if completed, it would be no reason to abandon Eircode.

This project is not being proposed for its own merits, it is being proposed as a desperate attempt to resist Eircode - there was no mention of it before Eircode was introduced, and it is only being discussed on the Eircode thread. If people genuinely feel strongly about standardising addressing, let them go and campaign for it; nobody here is opposing them, though I think you are right about the opposition they will face. Eircode is no more relevant to this than is draining the Shannon or abolishing the Seanad.
    Planning permission doesn't require you to build. It's planning permission, not planning compulsion.

You are correct, but Carawaystick still has a point. Eircodes could be issued on foot of a commencement notice. This should be a simple process that, when a local authority get the notice, they automatically submit it to Eircode.

Eircodes are issued for actual postal addresses, not potential ones. If recent years should have taught us anything it's that commencement of building doesn't guarantee completion of building. Otherwise why would Ireland be littered with partially completed residential and commercial developments? If every field with a few overgrown house foundations had been issued with eircodes for each house, how long do you think it would be before its critics were howling their outrage? Never give your enemies ammunition.

Regarding standardisation of addreses, I don't believe I've said that eircodes would be an impediment to this. I actually said that eircodes facilitate non-standard addresses.

Why should addresses be standardised anyway? How do we deal with somewhere like Athlone (nuking it is not an option :D)? Do we stop delivering mail to people who use Co. Roscommon as part of an Athlone address, create a new post-town of Athlone, Co. Roscommon, change the administrative boundaries so that every current part of Co. Roscommon that uses Athlone as its post-town is transferred to Co. Westmeath or do we abolish the use of county names in official postal addresses (either banning them outright and refusing to deliver mail when they're used or adopting the UK's Flexible Addressing Policy whereby their use is discouraged but still permitted)?

If we do stop the use of county names as part of postal adresses how do we deal with cases like Stradbally (one in English in Co. Waterford, one in English in Co. Laois)? Do we permit exceptions in those cases (and what about Irish language versions of places - An tSráidbhaile is the Irish language name for at least three villages, one each in Co. Laois, Co. Waterford and Co. Kerry?) or do we make the use of eircodes (or some other code) compulsory?

Or do we just accept that there's always going to be a minority of postal addresses that don't match physical addresses because of the way that delivery offices have been configured and just let people at those addresses use their preferred form of address, without making a big deal out of it, like we do now?

If we did decide to standardise addresses (for no good reason that I can see) we'd have to standardise the placenames used as part of addresses in two languages. That should guarantee years of fun and laughter as An Post, local residents, Irish language enthusiasts and organisations and other state departments and agencies haggle with each other over which is the correct form of the Irish name for tens of thousands of places across the country! As I'm sure you know the work of the official placenames authorities (http://www.ahg.gov.ie/en/irish/theplacenamesbranch/) has generated an enormous amount of controversy and dispute down the years (see examples below). What makes you think that this database of official Irish language placenames is going to be accepted as definitive by the general public or even by the postal service when the name for Dingle appears as Daingean Uí Chúis on official Ordnance Survey maps but as An Daingean on signposts erected by Kerry County Council which is a branch of the state's administration?,

Is An Daingean acceptable rather than Daingean Uí Chúis?
    Note: Section 48 of the Environment (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2011 amended the Placenames (Ceantair Ghaeltachta) Order 2004 (S.I. No. 872 of 2004) made under the Official Languages Act insofar as it relates to the placename "An Daingean". This amendment provides that "Daingean Uí Chúis" in Irish and "Dingle" in English are now the official placenames rather than "An Daingean"

http://www.logainm.ie/en/ord/

And yet:

Irish_Road_sign6_Dinglex3.jpg

Irish_Road_sign8_Dinglex3.jpg

Dingle-An_Daingean_graffiti-590x442.jpg

If by some miracle you get complete agreement on the Irish language placenames to be used in postal addresses (should it be An Daingean or Daingean Uí Chúis, Mainistir Fhear Maí or Fhearmaí, An Ráth or Ráth Luirc, An Scoil or Scoil Mhuire, An Pasáiste or An Pasáiste Thiar?) agreement would still be needed on the English language versions of placenames.

My sister lives in a townland that starts with Kil- (or should it be Kill-?) a very common placename element in Ireland.

Good luck telling people that it always has to be Kil- and never Kill-... Especially if they live in Kill, Co. Kildare (or Kill, Co. Waterford, a favourite village of people from Kilkenny)! :P

What are you going to do with mail that uses Kill- instead of Kil-, a fairly common mistake? Are you going to mark it 'Return to Sender. Incorrect Address.'?

Good luck telling people that it should always be Tober- and never Tubber-, good luck enforcing Caher or Cahir...

Eircodes are issued for actual postal addresses, not potential ones. If recent years should have taught us anything it's that commencement of building doesn't guarantee completion of building. Otherwise why would Ireland be littered with partially completed residential and commercial developments? If every field with a few overgrown house foundations had been issued with eircodes for each house, how long do you think it would be before its critics were howling their outrage? Never give your enemies ammunition.

So the benefit of eircodes is only for post and no other type of delivery? So what if there are eircodes generated but never used? there's space for almost 400k per routing key, they'll hardly run out of codes.
    The issue of Ghost Estates has people much more worked up than eircodes

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Never give your enemies ammunition.

I think this comment summarises your approach to debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Trouwe Ier wrote: »
    I got my Water Conservation Grant letter today with Department of Social Protection and "Environment, Community & Local Government" branding.

No sign of "Eircode appending" yet. I would have thought that the DSP would have been quick off their mark in that regard.

I've also had (AND PAIO!) bills from Bórd Gáis Energy, Eircom, Electric Ireland, banks and Irish Water since mid-July but "n'eircode".
    Got letters from the RSA, NCT and the TV license crowd. No sign of eircode on any of them.

With a non-unique address I would be very surprised if any private entity was able to use my eircode without me giving it to them directly.

As for An Post and government agencies, was there any provision for sharing eircodes other than what was necessary to get them delivered in the first place?

• Advertisement

sesswhat wrote: »
    With a non-unique address I would be very surprised if any private entity was able to use my eircode without me giving it to them directly.

As for An Post and government agencies, was there any provision for sharing eircodes other than what was necessary to get them delivered in the first place?
    It's all allowed by the Communications Regulation Act 2015.

So the benefit of eircodes is only for post and no other type of delivery? So what if there are eircodes generated but never used? there's space for almost 400k per routing key, they'll hardly run out of codes.
    The issue of Ghost Estates has people much more worked up than eircodes

Yes, because they're postcodes designed for use with postal addresses, which do not include buildings under construction that may or not be completed, that may or may not become postal addresses.

I don't know why people persist in urging eircodes to be used for tasks they weren't created to fulfil and which other national postcodes don't perform.

I think this comment summarises your approach to debate.

I don't suffer fools. Especially ones who persist in pushing the idea of spending yet more time and money on wholesale changes to Irish addresses because of their peevish and essentially aesthetic disapproval of eircodes.

Yes, because they're postcodes designed for use with postal addresses, which do not include buildings under construction that may or not be completed, that may or may not become postal addresses.

I don't know why people persist in urging eircodes to be used for tasks they weren't created to fulfil and which other national postcodes don't perform.

Maybe people persist in this because the eircode website states
    Eircode will bring many benefits
    Allow delivery and service companies to accurately identify addresses so your deliveries get to the right location
    Eircode will help accurately direct parcels and people to your front door

Why only allow this functionality after you live behind your front door + some delay as the eircode is only updated quarterly?

Why only allow this functionality after you live behind your front door + some delay as the eircode is only updated quarterly?

The quote you posted pretty much implies that a building is occupied, not a building under construction, which, as we've seen, may or may not be eventually completed.

If eircodes were updated weekly or monthly would you feel that was more satisfactory?

If so, I suggest you contact the responsible people and request more frequent updates.

Well the fact is that An Post don't need postcodes. So, why are their requirements being considered at all, never mind overriding every other possible benefit of a modern location/postcode?

When new houses are being built is probably the single most important time when a location code would be useful for deliveries (of items other than post).

This is an example of something that could actually change within the confines of the system we've been presented with, but there is still the same head in the sand attitude by some Eircode supporters. Eircodes should be assigned at time of grant of permission, not start of construction. That gives them maximum opportunity to disseminate and so what if a few codes are allocated to properties that don't get built. The codes can be recycled later if necessary.

The quote you posted pretty much implies that a building is occupied, not a building under construction, which, as we've seen, may or may not be eventually completed.

But there's no shortage of eircodes, so why not allocate them to a building which may never be completed. It'll be unused anyway?

Well the fact is that An Post don't need postcodes. So, why are their requirements being considered at all, never mind overriding every other possible benefit of a modern location/postcode?

Because the code is designed to be useful to the Universal Postal Service (UPS) provider (An Post in Ireland) which under EU law has specific legal obligations to meet.

If An Post doesn't need it why is it using it?

And if it was designed solely to meet the needs of An Post, why is it being used at all by anyone else?
    When new houses are being built is probably the single most important time when a location code would be useful for deliveries (of items other than post).

Eircode isn't a location code. For about the millionth time. :rolleyes:
    This is an example of something that could actually change within the confines of the system we've been presented with, but there is still the same head in the sand attitude by some Eircode supporters. Eircodes should be assigned at time of grant of permission, not start of construction. That gives them maximum opportunity to disseminate and so what if a few codes are allocated to properties that don't get built. The codes can be recycled later if necessary.

So eircodes should be assigned to fields? :rolleyes: Again it's not a location code. It's a code that's assigned to postal addresses, not to potential postal addresses.

And Eircodes which are no longer in use as part of postal addresses are archived and suppressed, not recycled.

But there's no shortage of eircodes, so why not allocate them to a building which may never be completed. It'll be unused anyway?

Once it's created it's an eircode. If it's no longer required it gets archived and suppressed.

Why go through that hassle for a building which might only ever exist as foundations that get ploughed back into a field?

Do the negative PR implications of this never enter your head?

Why only look at Eircodes from the technical point of view? Why not look at them and the organisation that manages them, from a commercial point of view, from the point of view of a marketing professional concerned with protecting and enhancing the product's reputation?

We both know the Irish media loves to report 'only in Ireland' stories (like Shannon Airport 'moving' to Limerick, even though Gatwick Airport had an eerily similar difference between its geographical address and its postal address), so why give them the means to do so?

• Advertisement

Because the code is designed to be useful to the Universal Postal Service (UPS) provider (An Post in Ireland) which under EU law has specific legal obligations to meet.

If An Post doesn't need it why is it using it?
    An Post originally said that postcodes are 1950's solutions to the postal delivery problem, and they are actually right about that. What has changed since they said that? They've been offered a shed load of money to co-operate and have the system designed to fit their distribution structure. Of course, they will play ball in that situation.
    And if it was designed solely to meet the needs of An Post, why is it being used at all by anyone else?
    I never said Eircode is useless to others. Unique identifiers are useful for some purposes.

Eircode isn't a location code. For about the millionth time. :rolleyes:
    It will be used as a location code. Why else do they have an option on the finder page that access google maps on mobile devices?
    So eircodes should be assigned to fields? :rolleyes: Again it's not a location code. It's a code that's assigned to postal addresses, not to potential postal addresses.
    Why shouldnt they be assigned to potential postal addresses (or other locations for that matter)?
    And Eircodes which are no longer in use as part of postal addresses are archived and suppressed, not recycled.
    Fair enough. I still don't see a problem.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement