Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Postcodes to be introduced

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Just use https://finder.eircode.ie/#/ and enter the postcode, simples!

It's amazing how that one gets ignored and ignored and ignored. :pac:
    Or suddenly people are all thumbs and can't work their pocket-sized supercomputer with magical data access to online databases (Jaysis, what will they think of next!)
    Well, not everyone can possibly understand such a marvel of technology.
    But yes, obviously more integration is needed. We will see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

Just use https://finder.eircode.ie/#/ and enter the postcode, simples!

Useful yes

It's daily limit and not being able to get lat and long info is frustrating

thierry14 wrote: »
    Useful yes

It's daily limit and not being able to get lat and long info is frustrating
    Just clear out the cookies and it's unlimited and it comes with a map, it's sufficient for the intended task.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

Apparently eBay is now accepting Eircode instead of giving an error message.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

moyners wrote: »
    Apparently eBay is now accepting Eircode instead of giving an error message.
    Yes, they now have a field explicitly named Eircode for your registration address, which obviously accepts it, but the generic Postcode field for the delivery addresses also accepts it without complaining now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

thierry14 wrote: »
    Until it's supported by Google maps, it's not worth a **** to anyone.
    Someone mentioned this earlier, but no harm to repeat it. Anecdotal, but we'll know for sure within three weeks:

https://twitter.com/Greadyfarmer/status/627941516145729536

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

Tenshot wrote: »
    Someone mentioned this earlier, but no harm to repeat it. Anecdotal, but we'll know for sure within three weeks:

https://twitter.com/Greadyfarmer/status/627941516145729536

I saw that too. Fingers crossed. It'll be a big make or break for the whole thing.

Anyone else been checking Google maps every so often just in case?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Alun wrote: »
    Yes, they now have a field explicitly named Eircode for your registration address, which obviously accepts it, but the generic Postcode field for the delivery addresses also accepts it without complaining now.

But it still doesn't work on the credit card billing address update/addition form.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Motor tax office cannot register Eircode.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

Motor tax office cannot register Eircode yet

fixed your post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭BowWow

Had to meet someone in Cavan yesterday and another person in Rathcoole today. Eircodes took me straight to the premises without driving around asking people for directions.

As far as I'm concerned these codes are a success.

ukoda wrote: »
    fixed your post

Since the introduction of Eircode s, I have had problems with my post. I have been living at the same address for the past 12 years. My AIB post, for example, was always delivered without issue, ebay purchases, you name it, we got it no bother. Suddenly Eircode s are introduced, and my post is delayed, comes in with stickers stating "wrong address" (aib post that arrived safely before), or like my tax disc, does not arrive at all.
    I'm in one of these Via somewhere else situations, and the somewhere else is in another county. The Eircode redefines my address as being in that other county.

We were told it would not change our address, when in fact, because even governmental agencies are not yet able to incorporate Eircode s, the only way to get my post now would be to change my address.

So between stubborn post workers who suddenly decide they will not work with the old address, and the failure to prioritize updating of agencies systems, rather than fire Eircode out first and fix things later, I am greatly inconvenienced, and cannot trust An Post (exceedingly reliable up to now).

I don't qualify that as a success, and I was all geared up to use the Eircode.

So yes, given time it might become useful but right now for me it's very counterproductive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭JohnC.

That's nothing to do with Eircode. It's An Post getting people to use their postal address. I've had the same thing start happening a little while before Eircode.

Kahless wrote: »
    That's nothing to do with Eircode. It's An Post getting people to use their postal address. I've had the same thing start happening a little while before Eircode.

Thing is, I have been using my postal address as stated above for 12 years. You reckon it is purely coincidental that An Post should decide, simultaneously with the implementation of Eircode, that my postal address is no longer valid. I don't.

Thing is, I have been using my postal address as stated above for 12 years. You reckon it is purely coincidental that An Post should decide, simultaneously with the implementation of Eircode, that my postal address is no longer valid. I don't.

Has any of the mail the marked as having an incorrect address had an eircode on it ?

I suspect not, making it obvious they have an issue with your address that's completely separate to eircodes introduction

This just sounds like a cackhanded method of speeding up the use of postcodes by highlighting the inconsistent addresses in use without the postcode.

Has any of the mail the marked as having an incorrect address had an eircode on it ?

I suspect not, making it obvious they have an issue with your address that's completely separate to eircodes introduction

So why has that issue popped up since the summer, and not for the past 12 years ?

Why did I receive post from AIB for the past 12 years with the "incorrect address" (not deemed incorrect then), only for that address to be deemed incorrect the past few months ?

As I said, I'm all for using the code, in fact, I included the code in my address as many times as possible, with any and every agency/organisation that could amend it easily. I simply haven't got around to updating AIB, and am unable to update the Motor tax office because... they can't.

So why has that issue popped up since the summer, and not for the past 12 years ?

Why did I receive post from AIB for the past 12 years with the "incorrect address" (not deemed incorrect then), only for that address to be deemed incorrect the past few months ?

As I said, I'm all for using the code, in fact, I included the code in my address as many times as possible, with any and every agency/organisation that could amend it easily. I simply haven't got around to updating AIB, and am unable to update the Motor tax office because... they can't.

Why don't you ask An Post, that's what I do when a service provider does something I'm not happy with.

I don't go assuming stuff and saying it on the Internet as a truth.

If they tell you it's because of eircode, then by all means, post about it on here, as then you'll know its relevent to the postcode discussion

Why don't you ask An Post, that's what I do when a service provider does something I'm not happy with.

I don't go assuming stuff and saying it on the Internet as a truth.

If they tell you it's because of eircode, then by all means, post about it on here, as then you'll know its relevent to the postcode discussion

I will post my opinion whenever and wherever I please, since this is a discussion forum, and I have made it clear it is my opinion. Sorry you don't like it.

It is my opinion that it is relevant to the introduction of Eircodes, since, as I have clearly stated, I do not believe it is a coincidence that my address has now become "incorrect".

And I do not think that An Post will willingly share inside politics with unhappy customers somehow, so it's a good thing I'm not waiting on confirmation from them.

Hopefully this will be a thing of the past when all systems are able to take the Eircode, that is when the horse finds its own way before the cart, it seems.

I will post my opinion whenever and wherever I please, since this is a discussion forum, and I have made it clear it is my opinion. Sorry you don't like it.

It is my opinion that it is relevant to the introduction of Eircodes, since, as I have clearly stated, I do not believe it is a coincidence that my address has now become "incorrect".

And I do not think that An Post will willingly share inside politics with unhappy customers somehow, so it's a good thing I'm not waiting on confirmation from them.

Hopefully this will be a thing of the past when all systems are able to take the Eircode, that is when the horse finds its own way before the cart, it seems.

You didn't make any such thing clear.

You posted "eircode has redefined my address"

No it hasn't, by your own admission your address was always "wrong"

• Advertisement

That's not correct, my address, is co Such via a town in another county.
    That's my correct address, as it has been for the past 12 years.
    Eircode has decided to do away with the co Such and via a town, to co Other.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

No. You need to get a grip and recognise the issue here has been that postal addresses do not match physical addresses in a great many cases. Forcing people to use a postal address they didn't know existed or differed from their physical address is the very epitome of forcing address change on people.

We were told eircodes would not necessitate the changing of addresses. As there is now a push to use postal addresses instead of actual addresses, in fact it is forcing a change of address on people.

Calina wrote: »
    No. You need to get a grip and recognise the issue here has been that postal addresses do not match physical addresses in a great many cases. Forcing people to use a postal address they didn't know existed or differed from their physical address is the very epitome of forcing address change on people.

We were told eircodes would not necessitate the changing of addresses. As there is now a push to use postal addresses instead of actual addresses, in fact it is forcing a change of address on people.

Where are you getting this information from? Are you claiming "there's a push" because one poster on the Internet said it? You might need to get a grip yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It seems to me that if one wanted to profile an individual then one would need an identifier unique to that individual. Correct me if I am wrong but neither an address nor an Eircode is a unique personal identifier.
    I know you're a bit fixated on the banks using Eircode to assume that someone in D24 for example, is a bigger credit risk. But as someone who has recently worked in this area, I can tell you that it's basically used for fraud and verifications checks rather than financial profiling. That is, if someone wants a loan from a bank, they're still going to need an address. So getting your mail sent to your neighbour's eircode won't really work.

For banks, eircode allows you to pin a person down to a specific location (rather than "Joe Bloggs, Dublin Road, Co. Cavan"). For credit purposes this is very powerful;

1. It stops fraud where Joe Bloggs has been declined a loan and instead applies as his brother Bill. Bill doesn't live at that address, but Joe puts down his eircode so he can get the documentation for the loan. You're far more likely to be a victim of identity theft from a family member or friend than anonymous hackers online.

2. It allows you to do fancy algorithmic checking. Joe applies using his mate John's address around the corner. But with the eircode the bank now has geo coordinates and can detect that someone else called Joe Bloggs with the same date of birth and other similar details, happens to live a few hundred metres away from this new applicant. Red flag, escalate to fraud team for checking.

That's the kind of credit checking banks are talking about - running eircodes through databases to see if that person or other family members have had financial issues in the past.

Where are you getting this information from? Are you claiming "there's a push" because one poster on the Internet said it? You might need to get a grip yourself.
    If that's referring to the comment I made earlier, the point I was making is that An Post appear to be encouraging people to add the postcode to their address, not change to the "postal address" as having the postcode now (in theory) makes that postal address obsolete.

If that's referring to the comment I made earlier, the point I was making is that An Post appear to be encouraging people to add the postcode to their address, not change to the "postal address" as having the postcode now (in theory) makes that postal address obsolete.

Which would be fine should all services (at least the main ones !) have been set up for it in advance, but that wasn't the case.
    So now we are in a situation where people like myself feel under pressure to change our address, which we were told we would not have to, and where An Post which had been delivering so well are letting themselves down imo.

I am expecting a very important appointment for a heart examination from the HSE for example, and you know what it is, it can take long, but now I am in doubt whether that has been lost in transit, or not, for example.
    That never happened before, our post was so reliable we boasted about it to Ebay sellers, we were so confident that any parcel from China would reach us. Now we're not sure to receive post from local agencies.

Of course that will settle in time, and I'll be glad to use the (still geographically pointless) Eircode for at least that, but in the meantime that's abject failure to plan and deliver on the part of Eircode as far as I'm concerned.

And I've to fill forms and do the whole Garda station/Motor tax office rigmarole to get a replacement tax disc too. :mad:

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

...I'll be glad to use the (still geographically pointless) Eircode for at least that...

How in the blue blazes is a code that precisely pinpoints every address in the country "geographically pointless"?

oscarBravo wrote: »
    How in the blue blazes is a code that precisely pinpoints every address in the country "geographically pointless"?

I think I've explained before in this thread.
    I'm from France.
    With a French postcode, you can pinpoint an area, and services available in that area. That's not possible with Eircode, so loss of business for many small outfits imo.

I checked it out pretty recently, and each French postcode relates to an average of 8-12 townlands/small villages, when looking at rural areas. It is a lot less than the generic 2 letters at the start of Eircodes, which cover huge areas, and the French system allows a much more accurate narrowing down of your search area.

I go back to France regularly on holidays in a campervan for example. Looking at camping guides, I'm able to narrow my search to precise areas I'm interested in, simply by looking at the postcodes.
    Back in France, I remember using that all the time, whatever address you get, you try and suss out from the postcode where the area is. It helps a lot when looking for shops, garages, etc...

edit : example of what I mean : one code, 11 "communes" http://www.indexa.fr/service/codes-postaux/index.xpx?lang=fr&proc=doRech&recherche=26740

This one has only 4 communes http://www.indexa.fr/service/codes-postaux/index.xpx?lang=fr&proc=doRech&recherche=53210
    but this one has 16 (probably more urban) http://www.indexa.fr/service/codes-postaux/index.xpx?lang=fr&proc=doRech&recherche=53200

Try it out yourself by typing a code at random. First digits between 01 and 98 + 3 more digits

That's geographically helpful.

I think I've explained before in this thread.
    I'm from France.
    With a French postcode, you can pinpoint an area, and services available in that area. That's not possible with Eircode, so loss of business for many small outfits imo.

I checked it out pretty recently, and each French postcode relates to an average of 8-12 townlands/small villages, when looking at rural areas. It is a lot less than the generic 2 letters at the start of Eircodes, which cover huge areas, and the French system allows a much more accurate narrowing down of your search area.

I go back to France regularly on holidays in a campervan for example. Looking at camping guides, I'm able to narrow my search to precise areas I'm interested in, simply by looking at the postcodes.
    Back in France, I remember using that all the time, whatever address you get, you try and suss out from the postcode where the area is. It helps a lot when looking for shops, garages, etc...

What are you using for this narrowing down of your search?

This is 2015, if I want a service I google the desired service and my device knows where I am so the top hits are local businesses, if they are smart, they have their eircode listed so I can navigate to them, if they are even smarter they have hyperlinked their eircode to launch my mapping app with their location preloaded and with one click I'm on my way.

• Advertisement

What are you using for this narrowing down of your search?

This is 2015, if I want a service I google the desired service and my device knows where I am so the top hits are local businesses, if they are smart, they have their eircode listed so I can navigate to them, if they are even smarter they have hyperlinked their eircode to launch my mapping app with their location preloaded and with one click I'm on my way.

Fair enough, but the day you break down in a rural location where signal is poor, you might be glad to rely on paper.

And of course, there are many instances where your initial narrowing down of services will not involve having to pinpoint the exact location on Google maps. For example a bride looking for a specific service will be able to tell from addresses listed on a bridal magazine whether they're close to her or not.

As I said, I have first hand experience of using geographically relevant postcodes, and it's not even a case of going on the internet to do a proper search.
    It becomes an every day little tip that everyone has in their heads when they glance at the billboard with all the business cards in the supermarket, when they read their local newspaper, when they're handed a leaflet at the shopping centre. And everyone needs a service at some stage.

So the photographer in Ballybackendofnowhere might just have got another customer, had we had Eircodes which really meant something geographically. I think that would have been worth it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement