Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Postcodes to be introduced

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

plodder wrote: »
    In my case, I have to enter the (mis-spelled) house name in the townland section. Not exactly intuitive. But, in any case, Eircode was supposed to make this all so much easier. They made such a song and dance about their address matching capabilities, but I'm not seeing evidence of it here. If they are relying on people updating their own information with their Eircode, then that will never happen.

the song and dance about address matching was claimed by auto address, but they can only match unique addresses and it appears not all county/city councils are using eircode search (i know cork city isn't) so its unclear if the entire register was matched or just some counties / cities on their own initiative requesting the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭BowWow

Just checking an Eircode for work tomorrow. Seem to now have the ability to check 50 a day, instead of the original 15.
    When did this change?

BowWow wrote: »
    Just checking an Eircode for work tomorrow. Seem to now have the ability to check 50 a day, instead of the original 15.
    When did this change?

It's Christmas :)

Literally, they said they'd update it to 50 around Christmas for people to send their cards out

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭larchill

ukoda wrote: »
    It's Christmas :)

Literally, they said they'd update it to 50 around Christmas for people to send their cards out

It this just temporary to revert back to 15 in the New Year I wonder?

larchill wrote: »
    It this just temporary to revert back to 15 in the New Year I wonder?

That's my understanding yes, they said they would increase the limit for the Christmas period

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

BowWow wrote: »
    When did this change?

It's supposed to be temporary but the Royal Mail Postcode Finder daily check limit was increased from 15 to 50 and has stayed that way.

Hopefully the Eircode Finder follows suit.

Of course, there's a little add-on for Google Chrome that allows you to bypass the Eircode finder's daily limit completely. It's been linked to on this thread a couple of times...

It's supposed to be temporary but the Royal Mail Postcode Finder daily check limit was increased from 15 to 50 and has stayed that way.

Hopefully the Eircode Finder follows suit.

Of course, there's a little add-on for Google Chrome that allows you to bypass the Eircode finder's daily limit completely. It's been linked to on this thread a couple of times...

You can bypass it on any browser / device using "private browsing" or just clearing your cookies

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

Another example here of an Post insisting on <village>, <postal town>(20 miles away), <county>. where <Village, County> was always accepted before.

And they said our addresses wouldn't change...

Another example here of an Post insisting on <village>, <postal town>(20 miles away), <county>. where <Village, County> was always accepted before.

And they said our addresses wouldn't change...

Where did An Post ever tell anyone that they wouldn't change their postal address?
    Eircode said they wouldn't change your address and they haven't, they have no authority or control over your address. An Post on the other hand do have the power to force a postal address on you.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

panti.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭plodder

There was an item on Eircode on Morning Ireland just there. I wouldn't quite say it was a hatchet job, but it was somewhat mocking. None of the presenters knew their Eircode and I think they could only find one person in the vox pop who knew theirs. They talked to postal workers who said they don't use it. Someone from ISME was also quoted who said that most of their members don't use it. Irish Water don't use it (yet) but they might. Same for Revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

There was an item on Eircode on Morning Ireland just there. I wouldn't quite say it was a hatchet job, but it was somewhat mocking. None of the presenters knew their Eircode and I think they could only find one person in the vox pop who knew theirs. They talked to postal workers who said they don't use it. Someone from ISME was also quoted who said that most of their members don't use it. Irish Water don't use it (yet) but they might. Same for Revenue.

Apparently someone in Revenue forgot that it is used by them on the Property Tax form

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

http://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=9%3A20888275%3A48%3A27%2D11%2D2015%3A

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭larchill

Looks like this is in danger of going the eVoting way ... :mad:

larchill wrote: »
    Looks like this is in danger of going the eVoting way ... :mad:

Exactly. I want it to succeed but it does look like that! No Google maps, no Sat Nav. 4 Months in and meh...

So they increase the quota of lookups a day. Was this driven by demand? Perhaps but to say it's to let people use 50 look ups daily to address their Xmas cards - that's daydreaming. Clearly most people still aren't using it. Nor it appears are An Post, as Sean McDonagh from the CWU has just confirmed in that RTE clip. (Obviously he might have a vested interest in not being pro Eircode).

So basically my take is putting it on your Xmas cards is a pointless exercise anyway...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

MBSnr wrote: »

So basically my take is putting it on your Xmas cards is a pointless exercise anyway...

How do you put an Eircode on your Christmas cards, unless you are sending one to yourself?

I have tried looking up Eircodes but unless it is a unique address, I cannot find it, and if it is a unique address, it is not needed. To find someone's Eircode, it is required you point out the property on an OS map. That is just daft. Say I want to find: Joe Murphy, Ballygobackwards, County Something - well, I get too many addresses, or pointed at the town of Ballygobackwards and told to take my pick. All I know is Joe Murphy lives in Ballygobackwards.

It certainly looks like eVoting at the moment - at least until they provide unique addresses for all.

How do you put an Eircode on your Christmas cards, unless you are sending one to yourself?
    I continue to be amazed at just how ridiculous the arguments against Eircode are.

If you're addressing a letter to the UK, how do you put a postcode on it unless you're sending it to yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

I think eircodes are great! There I said it.

I receive sales orders over the phone, some people are very hard to understand and there is only so many times you can ask someone to repeat themselves. Many a time I'd have to go onto google afterwards to get the correct spelling or onto google maps to see if I can find a townland that sounded like something near some town. Now, all I need is an eircode!

I think eircodes are great! There I said it.

I receive sales orders over the phone, some people are very hard to understand and there is only so many times you can ask someone to repeat themselves. Many a time I'd have to go onto google afterwards to get the correct spelling or onto google maps to see if I can find a townland that sounded like something near some town. Now, all I need is an eircode!

Just a few questions about take up.

Do you always ask for the Eircode regardless of location or only for certain non unique addresses?
    What's a rough guess of the % of people that you deal with that are aware or know their Eircode? - Are these people who are in rural areas and perhaps would be more aware of the need to use them?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I continue to be amazed at just how ridiculous the arguments against Eircode are.

If you're addressing a letter to the UK, how do you put a postcode on it unless you're sending it to yourself?

Well, the problem only exists with non-unique addresses, so it does not apply to anyone I send mail to in the UK as I can check on the Post Office address check web site.

The Eircode one does not work for non-unique addresses, and it is not needed for unique addresses (yet).

It is not an argument against Eircode, it is an argument for the implementation of unique addresses throughout Ireland. This should have been a precursor for Eircode. There was a lot of discussion earlier on this thread which amounted to 'it is too difficult because people will object'.

• Advertisement

Well, the problem only exists with non-unique addresses, so it does not apply to anyone I send mail to in the UK as I can check on the Post Office address check web site.
    It doesn't apply to anyone I send mail to in the UK either, because I know their bloody postcode. I didn't look them up on a website; I asked them.
    ...unique addresses throughout Ireland... should have been a precursor for Eircode. There was a lot of discussion earlier on this thread which amounted to 'it is too difficult because people will object'.
    You seem to have somehow missed the discussions on this same thread where people are upset about their address changing - even though it hasn't.

Again, it's incredibly easy to dismiss a design when you blithely ignore some of the criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

MBSnr wrote: »
    Just a few questions about take up.

Do you always ask for the Eircode regardless of location or only for certain non unique addresses?
    What's a rough guess of the % of people that you deal with that are aware or know their Eircode? - Are these people who are in rural areas and perhaps would be more aware of the need to use them?

I don't ask for it but if they want to give it I take it. I'd imagine the % that would be aware would be small, but it's early days yet. It would nearly all be rural farmers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97577263&postcount=1168

• Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Seeing this thread on the front page is the only thing that ever reminds me that Eircodes were ever a thing. I don't know of anyone at all using them and haven't once seen one on an envelope.

LordSutch wrote: »

Fair point. So next year, or the year after, or even the year after that. Let us hope it does what it says on the tin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

oscarBravo wrote: »
    It doesn't apply to anyone I send mail to in the UK either, because I know their bloody postcode. I didn't look them up on a website; I asked them. You seem to have somehow missed the discussions on this same thread where people are upset about their address changing - even though it hasn't.

Again, it's incredibly easy to dismiss a design when you blithely ignore some of the criteria.

Assuming by "UK" you mean Great Britain, (there are many "united kingdoms" in Europe, as there are united republics), while the British postcode is antiquated in technology terms - designed for sorting mail when 64kb of computer memory was expensive 40 years ago, and slow, there is at least an alphabetic relationship between the town name and postcode in GB. There is none in Ireland, aside from Dublin "city". eg C is Navan, T and P is Cork.

While I have no problem with the Revenue and Gardai using the eircode ("inhouse) (the only two organisations that do so far as I can see), it is not a postcode, it is not user-friendly, it does not take advantage of today's computer technology to perform look-ups based on user-friendly street and town names. The Swiss use a simple 4 digit published postcode, which the entire country uses and can get their head around. Meanwhile internally in the system there is a standardised code which assigns a number to each street in the country, and each house/apartment is numbered - giving them the same resolution with the convenience of 4 digit numeric postcodes which are compatible with those in use in the rest of Europe.

The eircode design just emphasizes to me the how gov.ie does not see itself as being an organisation focused on providing the best possible, most user-friendly service to the consumer. The Eircode is two fingers to the citizen. And two fingers to Ireland, because it is a cut-out of the antiquated British non-system, which is a zillion km from other European countries in terms of format. Rolled out by a British company. In a half-baked way. Few organizations as a result are adopting same.

Worst practice to the power of 99.

boards needs a new forum - a postcode for Ireland....

15,000 look ups per day on the eircode Finder....

https://twitter.com/autoaddress/status/670313407070011392

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

ukoda wrote: »
    15,000 look ups per day on the eircode Finder....

https://twitter.com/autoaddress/status/670313407070011392

Curiosity. Despite lookups, I bet less than 1% of pop know their stupid Eircode, if you stop people on the street. Randomized dysfunctionality. "Designed" by
    most.ejit.gov.on-planetearth.braindead_driven_by_most_incompetent _corrupt_perm gov.surlaplanete

The question arises why gov.ie has not taken legal action against Capita for delivering such a rubbish, unuser-friendly anti-European, anti-globally compatible postcode non-system... No different to the low interest rate borrowing systems Capita proposed to British local gov agencies, (which suckers fell for) with low interest rates for the first year or two and which interest costs escalated after a few years, threatening many local gov agencies with bankruptcy risk and higher local taxes. Anglo-Saxon terrorism has many visages - which include bankrupt cities in the US and elsewhere. Inconceivable concepts in mainland Europe.

Not to mention why the EU tolerates this rubbish addressing system to exist. One of the EU's concepts is free movement of goods and services. The fact that Ireland does not have a unique street name and house number is a violation of this. The Eircode does nothing to fix this lack of physical addressability.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Hyperbole much?

• Advertisement

15000 per day for 4 months is nearly 2 million hits (excluding the surge at the launch stage) That's a lot of "curiosity"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement