Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Postcodes to be introduced

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

As I understand the offer, [and I'm open to correction] Loc 8 is "free" to the individual citizen to make use of but some sort of fee is charged to the companies using it.
    In keeping with the philosophy that "there is no such thing as a free lunch" I presume these companies will pass the cost on to the consumer but this will be alleviated or completely compensated for by the savings made by using it.
    I have no idea what they would charge the Minister but I sort of presume it will cost less than the charade that has gone on for the past 8 years and has produced nothing, zilch, zero , diddly squat!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

The problem with loc8 is its "too" precise. It's down to an individual location as its gps, but a postcode should be an area of a number of houses. The rest of the address is already there.

OU812 wrote: »
    The problem with loc8 is its "too" precise. It's down to an individual location as its gps, but a postcode should be an area of a number of houses. The rest of the address is already there.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

Because we don't need two million post codes. We need something to bring you to an area of about 20 - 30 houses & the rest of the address will be easy to find.

If every house on my street was to use loc8 there'd be 72 different codes which would not be consecutively numbered. One post code would bring you to my street & the houses then have numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭LOI Stats

Just noticed this thread now on the Boards latest threads.

This thread was started in 2009 and the OP stated that 2011 seemed like a long way off for implementation...

I am reliably informed that the year is now 2013. Is there any solid ETA for this being implemented?

Because we don't need two million post codes. We need something to bring you to an area of about 20 - 30 houses & the rest of the address will be easy to find.

If every house on my street was to use loc8 there'd be 72 different codes which would not be consecutively numbered. One post code would bring you to my street & the houses then have numbers.

Your logic escapes me!
    What does it matter whether we have 72 or 372 different codes if that code "does what it says on the tin" and brings you to the door of each address.
    Are you a member of some obscure digit conservation society?
    Nobody in your street has to concern themselves with any code other than there own. That's hardly an onerous load to carry.
    Perhaps all the houses in your estate display their numbers [although I seriously doubt it] but there are thousands of houses in hundreds of estates all over Ireland which don't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 110 ✭✭aimhigh

1st Government Commitment to Postcode for Ireland was June 2005 (Dempsey) (8 years ago after a dicussion for 2 years previously - 10 Years!)
    1st Deadline missed: Jan 2008 (Ryan)
    2nd Deadline missed: Dec 2010 (Ryan)
    3rd Deadline missed: Sept 2011 (Rabbitte)
    4th Deadline Missed: Dec 2012 (Rabbitte)
    5th Deadline ??????: May 2013 - waiting........

Who's responsible:
    • An Post for not wanting a postcode first and then looking for significant payment to use it.
    • Dept Of Communications for making a mess of a tender process twice and supporting embedded conflicts of interest
    • PA Consulting by not being up to the job of implementing a postcode
    and...
    • The Irish people by letting themselves be fooled and manipulated by all the above and allowing lives to be put a risk by An Post's persistence with a vague addressing system that they insist on being able to change and make worse..! We watched as successive deadlines passed unnoticed without reaction and watched as the media welcomed each new deadline as if it was the first without question...
    So the bottom line is nobody competant is really in charge and, as a result, a postcode for Ireland may never ever happen! Like many birthday presents, the one offered above may be just left in its wrapping by the Minister.... as the man said in a post above - "it's beyond a joke"!...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Then there are all the houses that aren't in estates or on streets.
    Plus the ability to precisely locate geographical features, utility items (electricity/telecoms poles, junction boxes, masts, etc), field gates, etc, that mightn't actually be receiving 'post', but would conceivably need be located or identified by someone not intimately familiar with the area.

aimhigh wrote: »
    1st Government Commitment to Postcode for Ireland was June 2005 (Dempsey) (8 years ago after a dicussion for 2 years previously - 10 Years!)
    5th Deadline ??????: May 2013 - waiting........

Who's responsible:
    • An Post for not wanting a postcode first and then looking for significant payment to use it.
    • Dept Of Communications for making a mess of a tender process twice and supporting embedded conflicts of interest
    • PA Consulting by not being up to the job of implementing a postcode
    and...
    • The Irish people by letting themselves be fooled and manipulated by all the above and allowing lives to be put a risk by An Post's persistence with a vague addressing system that they insist on being able to change and make worse..! We watched as successive deadlines passed unnoticed without reaction and watched as the media welcomed each new deadline as if it was the first without question...
    So the bottom line is nobody competant is really in charge and, as a result, a postcode for Ireland may never ever happen! Like many birthday presents, the one offered above may be just left in its wrapping by the Minister.... as the man said in a post above - "it's beyond a joke"!...

looks like the 5th deadline listed above is now also missed:
    Seanad Debate Tuesday 15th May:
    Rabbitte: "In the event of the process reaching the final tender stage, the design parameters of the postcode will be specified. As that stage has not been reached, I am not in a position to inform the Senator on the exact type of postcode which will be sought by way of tender. I should point out that the final decision to proceed with the implementation of a national postcode will be one for Government and will be based on appropriate financial, technical and operational considerations. This decision will be made later this year"

It's only two weeks ago in the Dail that he said "by end of May" - so as I said nobody is in charge!

5th Deadline Missed: May 2013 (Rabbitte)

• Advertisement

Rovi wrote: »
    Then there are all the houses that aren't in estates or on streets.
    Plus the ability to precisely locate geographical features, utility items (electricity/telecoms poles, junction boxes, masts, etc), field gates, etc, that mightn't actually be receiving 'post', but would conceivably need be located or identified by someone not intimately familiar with the area.

Let them use GPS/Loc8 or (to me, the superior) go code. The international post code systems work, they've been in existence for decades with no problems. All we have to do is decide on an area size for each code, lay a grid over the country & number it.

It's that simple. No need for a tender process or impact study etc. It's a simple job & should have been complete by now.

Rabbitte: "In the event of the process reaching the final tender stage, the design parameters of the postcode will be specified. As that stage has not been reached, I am not in a position to inform the Senator on the exact type of postcode which will be sought by way of tender. I should point out that the final decision to proceed with the implementation of a national postcode will be one for Government and will be based on appropriate financial, technical and operational considerations. This decision will be made later this year"

It's only two weeks ago in the Dail that he said "by end of May" - so as I said nobody is in charge!

Reading the extract above from Mr. Rabbitte's statement last Tuesday, it is important to highlight to readers that the current 27 month stalled postcode tender was to introduce a postcode as recommended by the postcode board for an An Post post town model i.e. the famous ABC 123 (up to 50 houses) model;- all very confusing!

I guess that means that if there is an "R" in the governMonth, there will be no postcodes ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 105 ✭✭elhal

20-30 houses may be ok where you live can you imagine that out in connemara somewhere!

Let them use GPS/Loc8 or (to me, the superior) go code. The international post code systems work, they've been in existence for decades with no problems. All we have to do is decide on an area size for each code, lay a grid over the country & number it.

It's that simple. No need for a tender process or impact study etc. It's a simple job & should have been complete by now.

You say the international postcodes work, maybe they do but why settle for just working when you can do better, more precise etc... as you said they have been in place for decades, surely this means they are dated! Why go with something (out)dated, when Ireland can lead the way for precise positioning not just for post for for many many other applications such as ambulances, building works and as mentioned previously, forests, esb poles and many many many more!.

You do correctly state however there is no need for a costly tender and process or impact study. There are systems in use ready to go! All they have to do is say YES!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The address isn't easy to find. That's a huge issue in Ireland - we've a vague vernacular form of addressing that often has no particular logic to it. Use of house names, multiple names for the same place, non unique addressing etc etc etc

There are many addresses in Ireland that are just house name & townland!!

We need accurate (to building level) address codes or the whole thing is just going to be a complete waste of time!

The system will have to overcome our loopy, illogical addressing system.

Please read back over the thread. All of this stuff has been discussed to death over and over already.

I'm personally just totally exasperated by the whole thing.

It just sums up everything that's wrong with how this state is run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

"Too accurate"?

So I call an ambulance because my elderly mother has had a heart attack. The ambulance driver doesn't know where Ballykilmacscullymore is, and even if he did, that has 50 houses. So he spends time driving round the country lanes looking for me frantically waving my arms in the road, meanwhile my elderly mother gasps her last breath.

However, if I had told ambulance control that my location code is XZ6-55-ZZY then the ambulance would have driven direct to my door, and my old mum may have lived to iron another shirt.

Deliveries (not necessarily An Post), locations of ESB sub stations, Eircom cabinets, farmers' fields, etc etc, would all benefit from a standardised location code.

And letters.

Look back at this thread to see why: It's not just a POST code we need these days, it's a LOCATION code.

elhal wrote: »
    20-30 houses may be ok where you live can you imagine that out in connemara somewhere!

Works in the mid west USA in a much larger & more sparsely populated area without any issues whatsoever, also works in remote areas of the UK
    elhal wrote: »
    You say the international postcodes work, maybe they do but why settle for just working when you can do better, more precise etc... as you said they have been in place for decades, surely this means they are dated! Why go with something (out)dated, when Ireland can lead the way for precise positioning not just for post for for many many other applications such as ambulances, building works and as mentioned previously, forests, esb poles and many many many more!.

There's a real argument for if "it ain't broke, don't fix it". It already works with no complaints, why make things more difficult & drawn out trying to agree on a better way when there's a proven one.

For the likes of the other more precise applications, use GPS/Loc8 0r Go code (preference would be GPS as it doesn't rely on a commercial system.

"Too accurate"?

So I call an ambulance because my elderly mother has had a heart attack. The ambulance driver doesn't know where Ballykilmacscullymore is, and even if he did, that has 50 houses. So he spends time driving round the country lanes looking for me frantically waving my arms in the road, meanwhile my elderly mother gasps her last breath.

However, if I had told ambulance control that my location code is XZ6-55-ZZY then the ambulance would have driven direct to my door, and my old mum may have lived to iron another shirt.

Deliveries (not necessarily An Post), locations of ESB sub stations, Eircom cabinets, farmers' fields, etc etc, would all benefit from a standardised location code.

And letters.

Look back at this thread to see why: It's not just a POST code we need these days, it's a LOCATION code.

You're relying on the ambulance actually having & using the location code system & what if they have a different one to you ?

You can get a GPS location app for any device, a proprietary one should not be considered.

Solair wrote: »
    The address isn't easy to find. That's a huge issue in Ireland - we've a vague vernacular form of addressing that often has no particular logic to it. Use of house names, multiple names for the same place, non unique addressing etc etc etc

There are many addresses in Ireland that are just house name & townland!!

We need accurate (to building level) address codes or the whole thing is just going to be a complete waste of time!

The system will have to overcome our loopy, illogical addressing system.

Please read back over the thread. All of this stuff has been discussed to death over and over already.

I'm personally just totally exasperated by the whole thing.

It just sums up everything that's wrong with how this state is run.

I agree with this, we need to pass a law that every building should have a number irrespective of wether it's in a city or country lane & that, that number should be prominently displayed.

By all means use a name if you want to (although I never really "got" the need to do so), but the number should also be displayed on a pillar or post at the entrance to the property.

It is common on this thread for people to jump in at the end and make recommendations based on personal experience rather than fact and without reading what has gone before.
    Earlier this year I dealt with misconceptions regarding the UK postcode (US has similar issues). Traditional postcodes (UK, ZIP etc) were designed for sorting mail and not finding places -postmen do the finding. Traditional postcodes were designed in a pre computer and GPS era and are therefore not efficient in that regard. We need a system that is designed for finding places and leveaging off modern technology rather that what was available in the 1960's!

Here are the problems with traditional postcodes again;- they are worth a read and some careful consideration before being so bold as to specify a solution to suit Ireland's modern requirements - (OU812 !)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aimhigh viewpost.gif
    1. The UK Postcode was put in place in 1950's before PC's, Electronic Mapping, GPS and automated sorting were developed. It was designed so a letter could be manually put in the right pigeon hole on the basis of visual inspection - and the same all the way to the local post office where it can be put in the right bag on the basis of the code - but then delivered on the basis of the property number. The postman does not use the postcode - just street name and property number... same as currently used here in Ireland, but Irish postmen need to know the name of the occupiers of properties because there are no property numbers, street names or unambiguous elements in many cases!

2. The UK postcode system was applied to Northern Ireland in 1975 and was unsuccessful in many areas because it needs road names and property numbers for it to work. In many areas that postcode still does not function correctly in Northern Ireland for the same reasons. In fact, in rural UK the same problems exist - people do no use the property numbers they were allocated and therefore there are many reported incidents of ambulances not finding places and goods not being delivered in not urban locations.

3. UK Postcodes therefore do not work well in non urban areas. Everyone that quotes UK postcodes as the solution thinks of their experiences in UK cities. The simple fact is that UK postcodes do not work unless they are used in conjunction with a property number. A UK postcode does not get you to the door of a property - its guides you to the centre of 40-70 properties and you need the property number to find the door. This makes the reference number at least 9 characters long ( Postcode plus property number so can be 11 characters) to identify an individual property in UK.

4. You cannot compare the UK and Ireland for many reasons - not least the fact that Ireland has a higher precentage of its population living in non urban areas than the UK and indeed more than any other country in Europe. Therefore, a postcode which has problems in rural UK is not what this country needs. 40%+ of Irish properties do not have numbers and another large percentage have them and do not use them. An Post have never tried to change this so it is too late now - the Northern Ireland experience proved that!

5. A UK postcode changes regularly - as new properties are built or postal operations are reorganised. There are ongoing related disputes and costs and therefore in a modern age these can and should be avoided.

6. The UK postcode was implemented in the 1960's when people could be guaranteed that if they used their postcode, then mail could be delivered more quickly and more efficiently ( less costs). Even with those incentives (and a more compliant population than now) it took 50 years to achieve 95% penetration. A postcode is no longer needed to sort mail and deliver mail related efficiencies, so giving the Irish population that incentive for using an old fashioned postcode will never work. This is probably why An Post never tried to introduce one and why they still do not want one. They would spend 10's of millions in changing technology to use it with little benefit and very few users; and all in a rapidly decling market.

7. It is expensive to implement and maintain a UK type postcode. Again it would change routinely resulting in additional costs to users including businesses. To use a UK postcode on a satnav or navigation device you must also install two seperate databases - one with postcodes and related data and another with property numbers, their coordinates and their relationships to the postcodes and constantly keep them updated. This is major additional cost that Irish users do not have to pay for now. Like everything else, because Ireland has a relatively small number of users, the cost would be greater than in the UK. Furthermore, An Post have some of this in their own database, the GeoDirectory, and already satnav manufacturers cannot afford to use it and indeed neither can Google. An Post are not likely to give this away cheaply as they have a monopoly and it was not liberalised with the rest of the post in 2012. With regular changes, this type of postcode would also mean ongoing costs to keep the databases up to date.

8. So, the UK postcode would not be the solution for Ireland. Yet the spefication in the tender issued in 2011 for the Irish postcode was for a UK type postcode but without the property numbers to make it work. Why....? well it seems that people just do not think and most involved do not understand what a postcode is, what it can do and what we want it to do for a modern Ireland where it is not required for the declining postal industry. Calls for postcodes and especially calls for UK type postcodes are just pointless without defining exactly what you want it to be able to do and for who (this has never been done)

The tender process to select an organisation to implement a UK type postcode (without the necessary property numbers to make it work) is still ongoing.... It is now 18 months past deadline - why? - well maybe somebody has realised the costs and the significant limitations but they still have not been able to end it!

and following that another previous post:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aimhigh viewpost.gif
    Casually gained impressions and realities can differ markedly;-

Rural Uk Addresses With No House No/street Name:
    http://www.yournav.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=12618

“Don`t use the sat-nav to find it!”
    http://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowUserReviews-g186326-d1949972-r147506467-Days_Inn_Kendal_Killington_Lake-Kendal_Lake_District_Cumbria_England.html

But this was only one of the issues raised in my earlier post;- together all the issues raised identify a traditional UK postcode as unsuited to Ireland and unsuited to modern needs.
    It would be a pity if this thread once again launched into a discussion on what contributers believe the Irish postcode should be. Once again, I must highlight that a process to introduce a UK type postcode without property numbers is already "ongoing" and it is not up for further discussion!
    As long as this is the fact, a discussion on what contributers believe we should have as a postcode actually serves no purpose whatsoever. The debate really should be if what is "ongoing" is best for Ireland and if posters think it is not;- then the discussion should really be related to how to change what is "ongoing" to "TERMINATED"

and more:

Quote:

The Problem with Understanding Postcodes

Postcodes were introduced to help sort mail. Because they are often seen with
    the names of towns and counties on addresses, many people wrongly assume that
    postcodes are based on certain geographical or administrative boundaries.

People assume that certain postcodes mean that their properties belong in
    certain counties. Postcodes remain constant while county boundaries change all
    around them. Nowadays some postal areas can stretch across a couple of counties,
    in fact in Northern Ireland, the BT
    (Belfast) area covers the whole province.

People will claim that because they have a certain postal area and they can
    include a county in their address line, they belong in that county. As we've
    seen, postal areas are not based on county boundaries and it doesn't matter what
    county is included in the address line, the post office will ignore it.

London Postal Areas

London postal areas are probably the most misunderstood of the lot. When the
    original set of London postal areas were drawn up, they spread outside the
    boundaries of what was then London County. When Greater London was created in
    1965, it encompassed suburbs in what had been other counties. The new additions
    retained their postcodes, meaning that all or part of the EN Enfield,
    KTKingston-upon-Thames, HA
    Harrow, UB Uxbridge, TW Twickenham, SM Sutton, CR
    Croydon, TN Tonbridge, DA Dartford, BRBromley, RM Romford and
    IG Ilford postal areas are within the boundaries of Greater London.

Because these suburbs don't have one of the EC, WC, N,
    NW, W, SW, SE, E postcodes, people will claim
    they do not have London postcodes and are still part of their original
    county.
    and finally:

Quote:

ANGRY householders are demanding an end to a "postcode lottery" they claim is
    costing them hundreds of pounds.

Hundreds of residents of Hawkesbury village have a Coventry postcode though
    many of their neighbours have a Warwickshire one.

Those with a Coventry postcode say they are having to pay more for their car
    and home insurance.

One half of Black Horse Road is classed as Coventry - and has a CV6 postcode
    - while the other half of the street is classed as being part of Bedworth
    (CV7).

There are 750 houses in the area from Coventry Canal to the end of Hawkesbury
    village.

You say OU812, that we are relying on the ambulance using the same system... Thats what alot ogf people here are trying to say. The government should implement the same system for all uses. You even mentioned that they should use the "old way" for post and a more precise system for other applications.... why?????

What is wrong with having one code for every application be it houses or ambulances? Surely that simplifies things?

As for the Irish addressing system... It does not work. I have to get certain delovery companies to deliver to my mothers house as they can never find mine! Thats with me giving directions etc. Now, if the courier will use loc8 for instance I dont have that issue. So yes, there are complaints! Read back on the 84 pages of this thread! The irish addressing is seriously flawed, and something needs to be done!

• Advertisement

Works in the mid west USA in a much larger & more sparsely populated area without any issues whatsoever, also works in remote areas of the UK.
    Is it not the case that quite a lot of the states in America [even in rural areas] are laid out on a grid system, which we don't, and never will, have.

There's a real argument for if "it ain't broke, don't fix it". It already works with no complaints, why make things more difficult & drawn out trying to agree on a better way when there's a proven one.

For the likes of the other more precise applications, use GPS/Loc8 0r Go code (preference would be GPS as it doesn't rely on a commercial system..
    So... your idea is to have a postal code system as the "official" system and a "whatever you'r having yourself" location system?
    That should simplify things all right!

You're relying on the ambulance actually having & using the location code system & what if they have a different one to you ?

You can get a GPS location app for any device, a proprietary one should not be considered..

Surely you can see where you are contradicting yourself here?
    The whole idea is to develop an agreed upon system which An Post and government agencies and services use, encouraging private individuals and private companies to adopt the status quo because they slowly become aware of the advantages of doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

We need something to bring you to an area of about 20 - 30 houses & the rest of the address will be easy to find.
    That's bollox.

So what's wrong with having a system like:

17, Any Street,
    Any Town, W5617, IE.

Where W56 relates to the map below (Wicklow, OSI Reference 56, 17 being a subset of grid within grid which are smaller & more precise) ?

osmaps1.gif

Most of the work is done already, it ties in with the OSI, would be easily commutable to GPS. Seems simple enough & certainly not enough work to delay it eight years+

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ManAboutCouch

17, Any Street,
    Any Town, W5617, IE.

About 32% of Irish addresses are not unique, that is they don't have house numbers or street names but use townland names as the basis of the address. The only person who knows who lives in each house in those townlands is the postman.

I've said earlier, pass a law that each house even if there's only one, has to display a number. The roads if not named are all numbered anyway.

OU812 you seem to be wanting to make the process harder not easier! Why are you so opposed to existing systems such as location codes which are also easily computable to GPS, adopted by Garmin already, in use by thousands of people etc etc?

You seem to want to go passing laws, starting from scratch and using different systems for different things! On top of that why would you want to use a less precise system?

Im baffled as to your opposition!

You also mention the 8 year delay and refer to using existing system to stop further delays...... thats true in a sense using existing system would prevent further delays, but i dont think its building the frame work thats causing the the delays, look more at a useless, indecisive government for that!!!!

17, Any Street,
    Any Town, W5617, IE.

Where W56 relates to the map below (Wicklow, OSI Reference 56, 17 being a subset of grid within grid which are smaller & more precise) ?

Most of the work is done already, it ties in with the OSI, would be easily commutable to GPS. Seems simple enough & certainly not enough work to delay it eight years+

Here we go around in circles again - a new person gets suddenly interested and starts suggesting the same old stuff all over again! OU812, what makes you think after 8 years of discussion that your brainwave has never been thought of before;- and ceratinly all dealt with here before... sounds like you work for Government - keep things going around in circles and above all else keep changing your opinion;- there will always be someone new to jump on and start it all over again!

This not the issue.. there is already a decision as to what design the postcode will be, there is already a tender started 28 months ago to deliver that. The tender has never progressed and never ended and is going nowhere and now may never do so according to Pat Rabbitte's latest statement but it looks like it will be another 6 months at least before we find out! ("end of year" was given as decision many times before so its hardly very believeable!)

So the issue is how to get An Post and Dept Communications out of the process so it can go back to the drawing board, be properly designed and then very quickly and preofessionally impelemented by an independent organisation.
    If we can achieve that then OU812 you can then contribute your design ideas and see how you get on!

An 8 Year Process is still ONGOING ... only in Ireland!

I've said earlier, pass a law that each house even if there's only one, has to display a number. The roads if not named are all numbered anyway.

Best check with Mr Shatter if there will be penalty points and discretion...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

Why not just mandate everyone use their GPS co-ordinates in their address as a postcode? OK it's a bit long (I get xx.xxxxxx -xx.xxxxxx on Google Maps) but at least it's standardised and accurate.

• Advertisement

dam099 wrote: »
    Why not just mandate everyone use their GPS co-ordinates in their address as a postcode? OK it's a bit long (I get xx.xxxxxx -xx.xxxxxx on Google Maps) but at least it's standardised and accurate.

dam099 - you have given part of the reason why not yourself;- here is another reason: http://utahrockhounding.yuku.com/topic/493

and more:
    https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/earth-free/g0t7narjKhI

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement