Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Postcodes to be introduced

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Because that wouldn't be complicated or expensive enough!

Think of the poor consultants and how they struggle to get 132- cars! I mean, imagine the shame and social outcasting that would result from having a 131!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

The 14 in the example would be the apartment number and the postcode would be for the apartment building, it's not unknown for a larger building to have several postcodes.

True, but many apartment buildings (and houses that have been converted to flats) don't have their own postcodes.

For example, you could have a street in a city (London being a prime example) where a series of houses (an average of 15 addresses are grouped under one postcode) have been converted into multiple flats.

Assuming 6 flats per house, that's 90 individual addresses grouped under one postcode.

This is pretty common in the UK which uses a postcode system that's not meant to identify individual addresses but identifies clusters of addresses.

The addition of a couple of extra characters to UK postcodes would enable the identification of individual addresses.

For example, if BT15 7AZ had two numbers added (BT15 7AZ00) you could identify up to 100 (00 to 99) individual addresses within the BT15 7AZ postcode.

This would allow apartment blocks/office blocks/business parks/industrial estates/large institutions (eg. universities, hospitals) to have their own postcodes grouping up to 100 individually identifiable addresses.

True, but many apartment buildings (and houses that have been converted to flats) don't have their own postcodes.

For example, you could have a street in a city (London being a prime example) where a series of houses (an average of 15 addresses are grouped under one postcode) have been converted into multiple flats.

Assuming 6 flats per house, that's 90 individual addresses grouped under one postcode.

This is pretty common in the UK which uses a postcode system that's not meant to identify individual addresses but identifies clusters of addresses.

The addition of a couple of extra characters to UK postcodes would enable the identification of individual addresses.

For example, if BT15 7AZ had two numbers added (BT15 7AZ00) you could identify up to 100 (00 to 99) individual addresses within the BT15 7AZ postcode.

This would allow apartment blocks/office blocks/business parks/industrial estates/large institutions (eg. universities, hospitals) to have their own postcodes grouping up to 100 individually identifiable addresses.
    The original postcode system wasn't intended to pinpoint the exact address, that's what the property number name of occupier is for, but yes it can be easily extended to do so. The postcode was intended to allow the sorting office to sort letters down to street or part of a street before batching them for hand delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

I want my postcodes damnit !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

When is it being rolled out?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Hootanany wrote: »
    When is it being rolled out?

The plan has not changed in twenty years. Next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

The original postcode system wasn't intended to pinpoint the exact address, that's what the property number name of occupier is for, but yes it can be easily extended to do so. The postcode was intended to allow the sorting office to sort letters down to street or part of a street before batching them for hand delivery.

Yes, I know.

I was responding to the point that street number plus postcode would be sufficient for an item to be posted successfully within the UK.

It wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭irishgeo

recedite wrote: »
    If anyone does, it would be ESB Networks.
    My point however is that the State does not need to spend money "mapping" a new property database. The MPRN database exists. Location codes exist. What is the advantage of spending millions annually to have a combined (mapped) version?

didnt you have to provide an MPRN when you signed up for the property tax.

Eh, I don't think so.

They had some kind of property number though.

Yes, I know.

I was responding to the point that street number plus postcode would be sufficient for an item to be posted successfully within the UK.

It wouldn't.
    It does, I've proven it several times to different addresses. ;)

• Advertisement

irishgeo wrote: »
    didnt you have to provide an MPRN when you signed up for the property tax.

I never provided the MPRN when I signed up, it was optional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Property tax people assigned their own (new) unique reference number to each property. Probably not the cleverest idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

There mustn't be one person in the department looking after this that possesses one titter of wit , shame or altruism.
    Do they not feel they owe the Irish nation and the taxpaying public some modicum of respect, information or reasoning in return for their salaries?

They're fully committed to having a postal code type system rolled out before the 200th anniversary of the 1937 constitution, as they will be needed for the teleportation machines expected to be in use by then.

So, definitely before late December 2137

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭niallb

recedite wrote: »
    Property tax people assigned their own (new) unique reference number to each property. Probably not the cleverest idea.

Could the courts not sub-poena them to release their references publically and we just use that as a postcode system and be done with it? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Apart from the legal issues, the technical issue is that the code wouldn't in itself tell you anything useful about the property, i.e., it wouldn't give you any idea where it is located relative to other houses or how you might get to it. Just because revenue have a list of all houses, doesn't mean they know where all those houses are actually located.

Your basic idea of using existing databases to construct an authoritative, accurate database of buildings is a good one.

Ideally, the system wouldn't need a database behind it and it would just give you a code that would work out to a point like Loc8 and OpenPostCode do.

I don't really think having a database is much of a solution.

Anyway, this thread just has the same debates over and over and over.

I just with the Government would move a little faster than a snail with a severe hangover.

They can bail out banks in the blink of an eye, but something useful and cheap like postcodes... now that's controversial and needs to be mused upon for at least a decade or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Ideally, the system wouldn't need a database behind it and it would just give you a code that would work out to a point like Loc8 and OpenPostCode do.

I don't really think having a database is much of a solution.

Anyway, this thread just has the same debates over and over and over.

I just with the Government would move a little faster than a snail with a severe hangover.

They can bail out banks in the blink of an eye, but something useful and cheap like postcodes... now that's controversial and needs to be mused upon for at least a decade or two.

I'd rather they keep the delays and implement a location code system rather than the post code system they've tendered for. It's been so long coming there's no point in introducing a 19th century post sorting system when we need a 21st century system to locate things, as whatever we get won't be changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 angelclar

post codes are so badly need in ireland . It ensure that you have correct address. postmen have no excuse for getting it wrong then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

angelclar wrote: »
    post codes are so badly need in ireland . It ensure that you have correct address. postmen have no excuse for getting it wrong then.
    you're presuming that people will use the correct postcode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Was listening to Pat Rabbite on Newstalk yesterday morning talking about the new TV tax and how we don't live in the stone age.

It's a bit ironic that his department is pushing for a stone age system for something that could be useful, post/locations codes, while pushing for 21st century system for something not very useful, over paid RTE stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Del2005 wrote: »
    I'd rather they keep the delays and implement a location code system ....
    yeah, thats the thing I love about loc8,
    just typed in the loc8 postcode in my satnav,
    and it located the cousin's house in the arse-end of nowhere in Tipperary!

Loc8, best thing since sliced bread for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

I wonder now how long it'll be before the next announcement relating to postcodes will be announced by the government? We are now into September but I suspect it'll be one of those things not mentioned of again until the last day of the month... if it gets mentioned at all again for another year or two...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 110 ✭✭aimhigh

byrnefm wrote: »
    I wonder now how long it'll be before the next announcement relating to postcodes will be announced by the government? We are now into September but I suspect it'll be one of those things not mentioned of again until the last day of the month... if it gets mentioned at all again for another year or two...

a recent statement by the Minister does not refer to his previous end of September deadline for a decision at all:
    http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2013-09-18a.2249&s=postcodes

The postcode tender process remains infinitely ongoing and the Irish public are again being duped!

Do you have inside information that it's ongoing aimhigh?

I'd suspect they've just long-fingered it indefinitely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

A politician's deadline means nothing, unless its a red-line.
    Then it may, or may not, mean something.

Well, at this stage, I'd just assume it's never going to happen anyway.
    There's obviously some big vested interest blocking it or they just couldn't be bothered.

In the meantime, we'll just carry on using our unofficial postcodes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 110 ✭✭aimhigh

OU812 wrote: »
    Do you have inside information that it's ongoing aimhigh?
    "Ongoing" is the Minister's word not mine!

• Advertisement

So everyone's seen this, this morning?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement