Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Postcodes to be introduced

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

If they don't charge companies that benefit from it (e.g. SatNav) then we all as taxpayers pay for it. It's free for the public to use. An Post have an obligation to deliver all post, but postcodes will help them to sort post more efficiently so it might arrive sooner. As it stands An Post do a very good job of next day delivery compared to the situation in the UK.

So An Post do a very good job of delivering next day without a post code system while the UK, that has a post code system of some maturity, do not do a good job.

I think An Post say they do not need it, and that its main purpose is for other than post. Satnav companies will not fund it but they may pay to use it, but that is not much money. The real use will be junk-mailers, and the like. Gas, electricity and water suppliers will have a current system that meets their needs. In fact, their systems could be combined with An Post's to be the backbone of a decent system (if they can get over the lack of rural addresses).

My main point that appears to be missed - which is having a postcode system grafted onto a miserable mess of non-unique addresses wil still be a miserable mess. Unless everyone has a satnav, rural addresses are not discoverable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Or they could use google maps on their smartphone.

You obviously don't live in rural Ireland if you think you can impose an address on people and have them use it. Consider the An Daingean/Dingle fiasco and multiply it by a million. The postcode is the solution, because it is unique. Why would you want to create more work when it's not needed?

So everyone has to get a smartphone to get around? I don't think so.

An Daingean was a fiasco because of the nature of the argument. If people do not want street names, they will not want post codes either. There are systems available for arriving at a consensus for street names. Rath Luirc is now Charleville on all maps, but I remember when it was Rath Luirc on all the maps but Charleville on all the road signs, so you could not find Charleville on a map, (nor Rath Luirc on the road because it only existed in the minds of the Ordinance Survey). I suspect it will take a generation for post codes to be accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

LS, what an arrogant dick.

I use Loc8 codes, and most of my friends and business contacts do.

Reality check, Mr.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

'Leonard Shelby' quoth:

>Who knows if Loc8 tendered or didn't, we only know they didn't win. The chosen postcode is superior for the following reasons:

>1. Unique for every address
    unnecessary and impractical.
    >2. Seven characters rather than 8
    So what?
    >4. Has a database that holds coordinates, so if these are corrected you don't need to be issued with a new postcode.
    Oh, a database that needs to be maintained! More work for the boys! So, a disadvantage, then.
    >5. Is easier to licence
    No, it's not.

>Need more?

Yes, please. Especially why you're so vehemently against a system developed by an Irish company at no cost to the taxpayer, and so forcefully pro a system that has and will cost tens or hundreds of millions, will be developed by a UK-based company with a dubious record with government dealings, and is certainly no better and in some ways worse than something like Loc8?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Leonard Shelby

'Leonard Shelby' quoth:

>Who knows if Loc8 tendered or didn't, we only know they didn't win. The chosen postcode is superior for the following reasons:

>1. Unique for every address
    unnecessary and impractical.
    >2. Seven characters rather than 8
    So what?
    >4. Has a database that holds coordinates, so if these are corrected you don't need to be issued with a new postcode.
    Oh, a database that needs to be maintained! More work for the boys! So, a disadvantage, then.
    >5. Is easier to licence
    No, it's not.

>Need more?

Yes, please. Especially why you're so vehemently against a system developed by an Irish company at no cost to the taxpayer, and so forcefully pro a system that has and will cost tens or hundreds of millions, will be developed by a UK-based company with a dubious record with government dealings, and is certainly no better and in some ways worse than something like Loc8?

The postcode tender has been awarded. The postcode design has been chosen. I'm not against Loc8, best of luck to them, but their code hasn't been chosen as the postcode. It's pointless to try to "promote" Loc8 as a candidate for the postcode. Whatever Loc8 choose to do is irrelevant to a discussion about postcodes.

I'm pro the introduction of postcodes, we've waited long enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Froststop

Or they could use google maps on their smartphone.

You obviously don't live in rural Ireland if you think you can impose an address on people and have them use it. Consider the An Daingean/Dingle fiasco and multiply it by a million. The postcode is the solution, because it is unique. Why would you want to create more work when it's not needed?

This just gets better & better!
    So we have GoCode (Tico Mail Works) & Capita involved and now Google are going to set up for the post code to be compatible to work on their system also. No wonder it's costing so much for them all to have a cut!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I use Loc8 codes!
    Never had a problem.

So do some enterprising Gardai

.....and the GAA use it for away matches.

recedite wrote: »
    I use Loc8 codes!
    Never had a problem.

So do some enterprising Gardai

.....and the GAA use it for away matches.

Most Motor Clubs also!
    Stage starts/finish, fire points along the stage, emergency service locations, marshal locations & meeting points, spectator access points, radio points, caution points just to mention a few.

When it can be used to direct where a fire extinguishers are to be left along a 10 mile section of road, it can't be half bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Flipperdipper

I too use LOC8 codes and find them excellent. I can even get a code right now for a house that I'll start building towards the end of the year in a green field site. I can pass this code on to all companies who will be delivering materials to me, many of them already use LOC8 codes on a daily basis. If you want to come fishing with me tomorrow I can even give you the code for my favourite fishing spot which is miles from any house, all you have to do is look it up on LOC8 site and drive straight down. (Don't forget to bring the sandwiches.)
    My main problem about LOC8 is why did The Minister refuse to use it when it was offered to him free of charge? If there is a problem with it then why can't he come straight out and say what the problem is?
    I emailed every Government minister, including Enda Kenny and Pat Rabbitte, and all Wexford TDs seeking answers but so far a very poor response. All passing the buck or remaining silent, including The Minister himself.
    The only conclusion I seem to be able to come to is brown envelopes with cash from company directors to ministers and civil servants back pockets.
    Before anyone starts asking, No I have no connection with LOC8 or anyone who works for them. I first came across their codes by accident on another site, checked it out and have been using it ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭dubal2008

As a Sales Rep I travel throughout 26 counties and find using Loc8 fantastic, when a new potential customer contacts our sales office they are asked to go onto the site and forward the code to us, this cuts out trying to find them down back roads or hidden in an industrial complex
    So if anybody here thinks for one moment that nobody uses this service then please think again.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

LS, what an arrogant dick.

No name calling.

Everybody tone it down; this thread is contentious enough as it is.

Mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 haille

I use Loc8 codes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Delphic

Why was Loc8 excluded from tendering?
    In what way is the current choice superior to Loc8?
    Is it fair [or even legal] for a member of the advisory panel to be allowed become a member of the winning consortium?

Doubt this.
    Different code designs offer different things. All depends on what the customer is looking for.
    Who says there is?

On a totally different note, any chance that Loc8/Gocode/Govt could give Munster a post/location code for the tryline in Ravenhill - they don't seem to be able to find it at all. :(

Ulster don't need one at all.

Ulster 20-0 Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

Delphic wrote: »
    On a totally different note, any chance that Loc8/Gocode/Govt could give Munster a post/location code for the tryline in Ravenhill - they don't seem to be able to find it at all. :(

Ulster 20-0 Munster.

That's because they are using your system, under which they would be lucky to find their arse with their hand.

That's because they are using your system, under which they would be lucky to find their arse with their hand.

Lol! Just as you say that that, Ivan Dineen makes a go for the line and touches down. Impeccable timing, Curly. :)

Nice one.

Ulster 20-0 Munster.

NE lline: JDV 20 Y56
    SW line: JDV 63 Z46

Froststop wrote: »
    NE lline: JDV 20 Y56
    SW line: JDV 63 Z46

Good man, Frostop - any chance you could get Ian Keatly re-plumbed so that his kicks go between the posts?

And Munster pack Go for the line and get over it!

And Keatley manages to loc8 the posts and convert.

20-12 now

Good man, Frostop - any chance you could get Ian Keatly re-plumbed so that his kicks go between the posts?

Haha: I could post you a meter of 1/2" heavy gauge alkathene pipe so you could whip him across the backside but An Post may not be able to find you as their still waiting for Pat Rabbitte's postcode!

• Advertisement

Froststop wrote: »
    Haha: I could post you a meter of 1/2" heavy gauge alkathene pipe so you could whip him across the backside but An Post may not be able to find you as their still waiting for Pat Rabbitte's postcode!

Don't think it would make any difference. Ulster well on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mick993

Who knows if Loc8 tendered or didn't, we only know they didn't win. The chosen postcode is superior for the following reasons:

1. Unique for every address
    2. Seven characters rather than 8
    3. Aligned with Postal Districts
    4. Has a database that holds coordinates, so if these are corrected you don't need to be issued with a new postcode.
    5. Is easier to licence

Need more?

All pretty lame examples of superiority!

As for 4.......I'd be seriously worried if our plotted co-ordinates needed to be corrected at any stage. After the 2012 earthquake in Japan some of the coast of that country DROPPED a meter in height, but don't think the co-ordinates moved.

As for the actual poxy postcode lottery that's been rumbling on for years, my view is that somebody is going to make a lot of bucks. That's why its been rumbling on for years.

I deliver all over the country every week & use the Loc8 codes as much as possible. I find them a Godsend.

I spoke too soon.

Munster Go for the line again and get over.

23-17.

Can Keatley loc8 the posts?

He can.

23-19

Pienaar seems to be using the South African postcode system and it's working fine for him.

26-19

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jack180570

Nonsense. Garmin will support postcodes the day they are released, otherwise people will just buy competing products. They aren't going to limit themselves to Loc8 just because seven people in Cork use it...

Leonard, are Garmin currently using Loc8 Codes in their Satnavs?
    Why did they choose Loc8 Code over any other system for their satnavs in Southern Ireland?

What part of the postcode tender has been awarded don't you understand? I doubt if Pat Rabbitte is going to organise the signing of the contract in your house just to appease you, but it's a formality. When it's signed they'll announce it and you'll have to move on. The new tender is to assist the Government. Calm down, postcodes are arriving next year!

Leonard,
    If I read it correctly, the press release said that 'the tender has been awarded to Capita, subject to contract'?
    This would mean that the Government can decide not to sign the contract?
    So therefore Capita may not be delivering the postcode system?

Nonsense. Garmin will support postcodes the day they are released, otherwise people will just buy competing products. They aren't going to limit themselves to Loc8 just because seven people in Cork use it...

Leonard,
    I use Loc8 Code and from what I know in my business, charity and personal life, a huge amount of people use it.
    You write that only 7 people in Cork use the Loc8 Code system, are all the rest of our statements on this thread also untruths?

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Originally Posted by Curly Judge View Post
    Snip
    Snip
    Is it fair [or even legalfor a member of the advisory panel to be allowed become a member of the winning consortium?

Who knows if Loc8 tendered or didn't, we only know they didn't win. The chosen postcode is superior for the following reasons:

1. Unique for every address
    2. Seven characters rather than 8
    3. Aligned with Postal Districts
    4. Has a database that holds coordinates, so if these are corrected you don't need to be issued with a new postcode.
    5. Is easier to licence

Need more?

Yep, you didn't answer Curly Judges last question.

You're right, I'm not on here trying to smooth things over. I'm here responding to people who have difficulty accepting reality.
    The postcode tender has been awarded, that is the difference this time. You will get your postcode in 2015.

Leonard,

Is it not the case that the tender has been 'awarded subject to contract' to Capita and therefore the Government may decide not to sign the contract with Capita and then Capita would NOT be delivering the postcode system?

If this is the case, then you are being very dishonest in your contributions here.

• Advertisement

There are manufacturers who will use the postcode. All it needs is for one major manufacturer to have adopted the system - the others will follow or decide not to bother because their market share is too small or is already declining.

Besides, with the advent of these navigation apps on other platforms such as Android and iPhone, the PND market is likely to shrink further overall anyway. And further change is on the way.

Delphic,

Garmin have already adopted Loc8 as their postcode system for Southern Ireland. I dont know about TomTom.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement