Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Postcodes to be introduced

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jack180570

Cianooo wrote: »
    I use Loc8 codes!

I don't see why ANY of the exchequer's funds need to spent on developing a system that already exists.

It's very accurate too as it's based on physical geo-positioned coordinates!

Cianooo,

It looks like madness to me, and to any honest person with average IQ who has objectively researched the topic. Then again I doubt if the country would be in the mess its in if it was run by honest people.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Froststop

Jack180570 wrote: »
    Delphic,

Garmin have already adopted Loc8 as their postcode system for Southern Ireland. I dont know about TomTom.

All of Ireland north & south Jack, we proved that earlier, post #1789

AmberAmber wrote: »
    i use the loc8 post code for my address . it works out great . no problems when i give it to family and friends to find my new house .
    i must check their website and see the list of business that use it too, was nice a few months ago so many have a post code . i am sure its a super benefit for business .

AmberAmber,
    The Loc8 Code system is an absolutely brilliant system and its use as a postcode (to deliver post if it is adopted by Government) would only be one of a myriad of benefits that it is currently delivering.
    I am involved in a Search & Rescue group and we use Loc8 Codes when we are out on searches for Missing Persons. We have 23 Garmin SatNavs for our Search Team Leaders and Liaison Officers. When we need to direct a Search Team to a new location we simply give them the new Loc8 Code and they are able to efficiently continue the search at the new location without losing precious time having to return to Search HQ for directions. In a search, wasted time may cost a life. I dont imagine the proposed postcode system that Leonard Shelby says will be delivered in 2015 will be able to deliver this benefit to us in Search & Rescue as we try to find missing persons.

Next year ALL businesses will display their Postcode, just like in the UK, because it is in their interest to do so. Loc8 code isn't the postcode, that decision has been made.

Leonard,
    How can you make such a statement so forcefully and with such conviction when for it to be true, so many things beyond your control would have to happen?

1. The Government would have to sign the contract with Capita - unless you are Pat Rabbitte and have the support of the Department this is not a certainty.
    2. 'ALL' businesses would have to display their Postcode - you dont own every business in the country, do you?

You say that Loc8 Code isn't the Postcode? Well from what I can see its the only postcode that exists and that has such popular support from the ordinary honest hardworking people of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Delphic wrote: »
    On a totally different note, any chance that Loc8/Gocode/Govt could give Munster a post/location code for the tryline in Ravenhill - they don't seem to be able to find it at all. :(

Ulster don't need one at all.

Ulster 20-0 Munster.
    Pienaar seems to be using the South African postcode system and it's working fine for him.

26-19
    On topic please.

• Advertisement

The postcode tender has been awarded. The postcode design has been chosen. I'm not against Loc8, best of luck to them, but their code hasn't been chosen as the postcode. It's pointless to try to "promote" Loc8 as a candidate for the postcode. Whatever Loc8 choose to do is irrelevant to a discussion about postcodes.

I'm pro the introduction of postcodes, we've waited long enough.

Leonard,

The contract for the design, introduction and implementation of postcodes has not been signed.

The fact that the press release says that the contract has been 'awarded to Capita, subject to contract' means (and hopefully some solicitor or barrister or poster with a legal qualification can confirm) that IF the Government decide to sign the contract then Capita will deliver the postcode and equally, if the Government decide NOT TO SIGN the contract Capita will NOT deliver the postcode. Therefore you are not being honest when you portray the situation as a done deal, it is far from certain that Capita will be delivering postcodes in Ireland in 2015 or anytime thereafter.

Given the outcry here against what many honest hardworking people would view as a serious waste of money and given the free availability of Loc8 Codes that are genuinely brilliant I believe that there is every reason why people should contact their local TD's and Public Representatives and make them aware of the situation.

There is never a bad time to make a good decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Leonard,
    How can you make such a statement so forcefully and with such conviction when for it to be true, so many things beyond your control would have to happen?

1. The Government would have to sign the contract with Capita - unless you are Pat Rabbitte and have the support of the Department this is not a certainty.
    2. 'ALL' businesses would have to display their Postcode - you dont own every business in the country, do you?

You say that Loc8 Code isn't the Postcode? Well from what I can see its the only postcode that exists and that has such popular support from the ordinary honest hardworking people of Ireland.

I have to agree with Jack180570.

Leonard, I find your replies incredibly arrogant and presumptuous. Have you any form of relationship with either of the companies being discussed?

I too use LOC8 codes and find them excellent. I can even get a code right now for a house that I'll start building towards the end of the year in a green field site. I can pass this code on to all companies who will be delivering materials to me, many of them already use LOC8 codes on a daily basis. If you want to come fishing with me tomorrow I can even give you the code for my favourite fishing spot which is miles from any house, all you have to do is look it up on LOC8 site and drive straight down. (Don't forget to bring the sandwiches.)
    My main problem about LOC8 is why did The Minister refuse to use it when it was offered to him free of charge? If there is a problem with it then why can't he come straight out and say what the problem is?
    I emailed every Government minister, including Enda Kenny and Pat Rabbitte, and all Wexford TDs seeking answers but so far a very poor response. All passing the buck or remaining silent, including The Minister himself.
    The only conclusion I seem to be able to come to is brown envelopes with cash from company directors to ministers and civil servants back pockets.
    Before anyone starts asking, No I have no connection with LOC8 or anyone who works for them. I first came across their codes by accident on another site, checked it out and have been using it ever since.

Flipperdipper,

I totally agree with you, the Loc8 codes are absolutely amazing. So much more than a code for delivering post. They are the ultimate in finding ones way to just about anywhere, fishing, hotel, historic monument, point on a scenic route, a dangerous tree down in a storm, location of your car on a road for the breakdown truck, like you said, delivery of materials for building a house.... the list is endless...
    On another very important point, many of us are against change and many posters believe that there will be great resistance to the introduction of postcodes. However, I believe that if Loc8 Code was the postcode that the Government were to introduce, and they let people know the endless benefits and uses of the system, and of course that it had been designed by an Irish Company then I believe it would be a runaway success.
    I would be very interested to know what other people are using Loc8 Codes and what they find good about them.

dubal2008 wrote: »
    As a Sales Rep I travel throughout 26 counties and find using Loc8 fantastic, when a new potential customer contacts our sales office they are asked to go onto the site and forward the code to us, this cuts out trying to find them down back roads or hidden in an industrial complex
    So if anybody here thinks for one moment that nobody uses this service then please think again.....

Dubal2008,
    We deliver solid fuel to customers in both urban and rural areas. It is, (thank God), a rapidly expanding business. With new customers, like you, we ask the girl in the office to direct the new customer to the Loc8 site to generate a Loc8 Code for their location. Sometimes if its being delivered with one of the big trucks the new customer will give us a second Loc8 code for a slightly different way of getting to them so we dont have difficulty accessing the premises with the big truck.
    It has saved us so much time and money and avoided many difficult situations. What would be brilliant is if the system was adopted by Government and we would not have to ask the people to look it up themselves or for the people who are not computer literate where the new customer will talk our girl through the directions while she is on the site and then our girl generates the postcode.

Victor wrote: »
    On topic please.

Unfortunately Victor, when posters stick to the topic and debate the facts they are being banned.

• Advertisement

Doubt this.
    Different code designs offer different things. All depends on what the customer is looking for.
    Who says there is?

Delphic,

I agree with you, different codes offer different things. In the last number of posts we get an idea of what the Loc8 Code can offer. I have no idea of what the Capita Code can offer, I dont think it has been stated.
    What this customer wants is a code that does it all... what I, and I think, what a lot of honest hardworking people who are reading this thread objectively want is the Loc8 Code.

Delphic,

I agree with you, different codes offer different things. In the last number of posts we get an idea of what the Loc8 Code can offer. I have no idea of what the Capita Code can offer, I dont think it has been stated.
    What this customer wants is a code that does it all... what I, and I think, what a lot of honest hardworking people who are reading this thread objectively want is the Loc8 Code.

I agree, we want a proven solution that works and dose not cost the tax payer or end user anything. We have one we know and trust, which is proven, simple to use even for a novice computer/smart phone/sat nav user.

I had a guy with no computer give me directions over the phone before the holidays to his house, while I was on the Loc8 site map and I generated his code, so I could call to him. We had it sorted in minutes and I landed at his door 25 minutes later. "Simple" Now he has it in the event of an emergency.

Why would I want to switch to an non-existent, unproven system which might cost me and the tax payer unknown sums.
    However I will say, our politicians have done us proud again buying an unproven system/product which doesn't exist!

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ben101

Froststop wrote: »
    Why would I want to switch to an non-existent, unproven system which might cost me and the tax payer unknown sums.
    However I will say, our politicians have done us proud again buying an unproven system/product which doesn't exist!
    Exactly,this is why the arrogance of some posters astounds me when they can't point to another country and say "this is how it works".WHY pick a system that has never been tried?Seems crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Delphic

….I agree with you, different codes offer different things….what this customer and other hardworking people wants is ….the Loc8 Code.

There's nothing to stop you or anyone else continuing to use it or any other location code. If some people are happy with them, no one is stopping them.

Offering a postcode design for free is not really the issue or much of an attraction by itself. Postcode designs are relatively cheap and are only a small part of what's needed to be done to have a national system developed and implemented.

Garmin have already adopted Loc8 as their postcode system for Southern Ireland.
    All of Ireland north & south Jack, we proved that earlier, post #1789

Does this mean Garmin aren't using the official Royal Mail postcode in NI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Leonard Shelby

Article in the Irish Independent this morning stating that a detailed plan has been published, and that a 7 character postcode will be completed by March 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mick993

Paper never refuses ink!

Printing or announcing something doesn't fundamentally change whether it is right or just.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

It's a typo. They meant 2115.

Dubal2008,
    We deliver solid fuel to customers in both urban and rural areas. It is, (thank God), a rapidly expanding business. With new customers, like you, we ask the girl in the office to direct the new customer to the Loc8 site to generate a Loc8 Code for their location. Sometimes if its being delivered with one of the big trucks the new customer will give us a second Loc8 code for a slightly different way of getting to them so we dont have difficulty accessing the premises with the big truck.
    It has saved us so much time and money and avoided many difficult situations. What would be brilliant is if the system was adopted by Government and we would not have to ask the people to look it up themselves or for the people who are not computer literate where the new customer will talk our girl through the directions while she is on the site and then our girl generates the postcode.
    I suspect that even if a postcode system is ever successfully rolled out, the LOC8 codes will still be invaluable for deliveries to places that will never get a postcode.

For example as above an alternative entrance to a premises or a farm/site gate and countless others.

Both systems can and will co-exist for a good many years.

I suspect that even if a postcode system is ever successfully rolled out, the LOC8 codes will still be invaluable for deliveries to places that will never get a postcode.

For example as above an alternative entrance to a premises or a farm/site gate and countless others.

Both systems can and will co-exist for a good many years.

+100

It's astonishing how none of the Loc8 acolytes seem to have come to this conclusion.

• Advertisement

+100

It's astonishing how none of the Loc8 acolytes seem to have come to this conclusion.

Not to mention things like bits of infrastructure like telecommunications gear etc.

Bus stops, manhole covers, traffic lights etc
    Could be useful for a lot of companies

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Not to mention things like bits of infrastructure like telecommunications gear etc.

Bus stops, manhole covers, traffic lights etc
    Could be useful for a lot of companies

Indeed. The postcode could be used for those things too.

Not unless they're added to its database.
    Although we can only speculate on how it might work as it looks like it's a work in progress.

Does this mean Garmin aren't using the official Royal Mail postcode in NI?

Loc8 work fine for me in NI.
    Official Royal Mail postcode is 50 year old technology which has not worked very well in NI
    It is universally accepted now that there is no need for a postcode to sort mail nowadays however there is a universal demand for an address code and Loc8 is the address code that Garmin has adopted for Ireland. Others tried but were rejected!

Article in the Irish Independent this morning stating that a detailed plan has been published, and that a 7 character postcode will be completed by March 2015.

Article in independent is just a repeat of before and does not:
    1. mention that contract still has to be signed
    2. a new tender is started to find 3rd party to see if Cpaita proposal is "fit for purpose"
    3. Does not quote anyone and is a clear reaction to comment here by Capita not the department
    4. the the timeline dates given are only as published in the new tender which says dates are indicative and may not be achieved same as last tender that was supposed to take 8 months and took 32

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Not unless they're added to its database.
    Although we can only speculate on how it might work as it looks like it's a work in progress.

True. It could have locational aspects to it too.

Indeed. The postcode could be used for those things too.

Very limited redundancy in the A65 B2CD code - it will run out of codes quickly and none left for new buildings - it is a very restrictive code!

Official Royal Mail postcode is 50 year old technology which has not worked very well in NI
    It is universally accepted now that there is no need for a postcode to sort mail nowadays however there is a universal demand for an address code and Loc8 is the address code that Garmin has adopted for Ireland. Others tried but were rejected!

You misunderstand. Is Garmin using both the Royal Mail postcode and Loc8 for NI on its devices?

The UK post code system actually varies enormously in how 'granular'.

In London it's very accurate, in rural Scotland and Northern Ireland it's very vague.

I would rather see this system done right than done fast, but at the same time this is really bordering on ridiculous!

This thread should just form a consortium and tender :D

We're probably the world's leading experts on postal codes at this stage!!

• Advertisement

You misunderstand. Is Garmin using both the Royal Mail postcode and Loc8 for NI on its devices?

No Idea, I don't work for either company, you would need to ask Garmin/Loc8 that question.
    I just use Loc8 in NI when I go up there and have no problems with it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement