Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Postcodes to be introduced

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Delphic

recedite wrote: »
    I'm not sure. Wasn't there some restriction put into the tender such that only companies above a certain size could apply?

There was. Plenty of detail about that has been posted on here already. Standard requirements for a large contract that the companies have good financial and economic standing. That wouldn't prevent them tendering. They could just put together a consortium and be part of that.

So why didn't they pitch forward to be considered - given they were willing to amend their code design to meet with Government requirements?

Condi wrote: »

I don't. But they've had plenty of their supporters on here talking about how they were excluded or prevented or restricted from tendering.

Do you know if they did?

• Advertisement

Exactly. You don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Leonard Shelby

Loc8 vs GoCode
    Two bald men fighting over a comb. The chosen postcode design is not a location code, isn't it obvious that neither are involved.

Loc8 vs GoCode
    Two bald men fighting over a comb. The chosen postcode design is not a location code, isn't it obvious that neither are involved.

Ouch.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jack180570

This is farcical... typical snouts in the trough stuff

EDIT: Pointless as it is, but I want to contact those in charge... I want to voice the opinion of many in this thread and elsewhere as to why Loc8 isn't being considered. Could anyone suggest points of contact (I'm sure some in this thread have the numbers on speedial)

I totally agree. .. The decision on which 'postcode' system should be introduced was one that the average national school child could answer.
    It is astonishing to read the comments of some of the contriburors here who are trying to defend the corrupt and totally stupid decision to have the Irish taxpayer pay for something that is free, do they think the average person is stupid?
    Hopefully these corrupt individuals, business interests, consultants and the government will be exposed for the rotten, dishonest parasitic scum they are. Arrogant smug cornerboys.

Delphic wrote: »
    There was. Plenty of detail about that has been posted on here already. Standard requirements for a large contract that the companies have good financial and economic standing. That wouldn't prevent them tendering. They could just put together a consortium and be part of that.

So why didn't they pitch forward to be considered - given they were willing to amend their code design to meet with Government requirements?

Delphic, do you or a company/consultancy that you have an interest in, have an economic interest in the postcode system?
    You knock the free Loc8 code system and, from what I can understand from your comments, you agree and support the Government decision to pay Capita millions for something that the public know is free, why?

Loc8 vs GoCode

Leonard,

Your childish irrelevant comments once again raise the quality of the upbringing you have received.

After a series of comments from you earlier in this thread I asked you a number of relevant, serious and specific questions. You failed to answer any and, exhibiting the height of bad manners, you ignored my highly relevant questions. Maybe your intellectual capacity rendered you unable to reply.

Either way, your failure to engage genuinely in this discussion raises serious question as to why you are on this thread.

Can the Moderator of this thread please investigate the status of both Leonard Shelby and Delphic.

Delphic, do you or a company/consultancy that you have an interest in, have an economic interest in the postcode system?
    You knock the free Loc8 code system and, from what I can understand from your comments, you agree and support the Government decision to pay Capita millions for something that the public know is free, why?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Jack180570 wrote: »
    Your childish irrelevant comments once again raise the quality of the upbringing you have received.

After a series of comments from you earlier in this thread I asked you a number of relevant, serious and specific questions. You failed to answer any and, exhibiting the height of bad manners, you ignored my highly relevant questions. Maybe your intellectual capacity rendered you unable to reply.
    No personal comments or abuse.
    Can the Moderator of this thread please investigate the status of both Leonard Shelby and Delphic.
    If you have a problem with a post, report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I've been a long time lurker on this thread, and we've seen many false starts and breached deadlines.

Does anyone get the sense that this time they'll actually manage to do it? With the contract being signed, there's surely reason to think that by this time next year, the introduction of postcodes will be imminent.

Am I being over-optimistic? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Loc8 is free to the end user, we've no idea what they charge to licence it for business/government use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Leonard Shelby

fricatus wrote: »
    I've been a long time lurker on this thread, and we've seen many false starts and breached deadlines.

Does anyone get the sense that this time they'll actually manage to do it? With the contract being signed, there's surely reason to think that by this time next year, the introduction of postcodes will be imminent.

Am I being over-optimistic? :D
    Pat Rabbitte confirmed on 15th January (see kildarestreet.com) that the contract was signed with Capita in December and that postcodes will be operational in 2015. :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Except somewhere in dept 92 is not in Paris, which is dept 75
    And would have the arrondissement number as the 3rd&4th digits

And an arrondissement is sorta like a suburb name as we'd use them here...

The Department system in France is the basis for the postcode systems. The departments were numbered alphabetically, but Paris grew too big for one Department (75), so they took the peripheral areas and gave them new numbers, 91 - 95. The overseas Depatments have numbers 971- 975 (Gardeloupe, Martinique, etc.). We did the same with Dublin, adding South Co., Dunlaoghaire, and Fingal.

• Advertisement

Jack - I have a number of companies that I have an interest in - across technology, financial, healthcare, and manufacturing.

Loc8 Code or Go Code are not free postcode systems - it would appear they are freely available location code designs that you or any other member of the public can use and have used. You fail to understand or appreciate that it takes more than just someone saying here's a "free" postcode design to set up a national postcode structure and implement that across every house, office, apartment building, postcode millions of address records, change countless computer systems and software applications, changes to print materials, corporate stationery, legal documents, etc, etc, etc. All of this cannot be done for free.

I'm not knocking the Loc8 system - it's quite a good one. But not good enough. Nor is Go Code for that matter. Why? Because despite both of them being around for a number of years, they haven't really caught on, nor were they successful in getting selected as the national postcode. They failed.

So a much more interesting question is why did they fail? It's what they didn't do, rather than what they did do, that interests me.

That presents several potential opportunities to set up companies in the next year that are predicated on the proposed postcode system being implemented exactly as proposed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The Department system in France is the basis for the postcode systems. The departments were numbered alphabetically, but Paris grew too big for one Department (75), so they took the peripheral areas and gave them new numbers, 91 - 95. The overseas Depatments have numbers 971- 975 (Gardeloupe, Martinique, etc.). We did the same with Dublin, adding South Co., Dunlaoghaire, and Fingal.

French postcodes are a very bad model to follow.
    French rural addresses are nearly as chaotic as ours! All the post code tells you is the town or village (sometimes).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

Loc8 Code or Go Code are not free postcode systems - it would appear they are freely available location code designs that you or any other member of the public can use and have used. You fail to understand or appreciate that it takes more than just someone saying here's a "free" postcode design to set up a national postcode structure and implement that across every house, office, apartment building, postcode millions of address records, change countless computer systems and software applications, changes to print materials, corporate stationery, legal documents, etc, etc, etc. All of this cannot be done for free.

Your outfit aren't exactly doing it for free either, now are you?
    I'm not knocking the Loc8 system - it's quite a good one. But not good enough. Nor is Go Code for that matter. Why? Because despite both of them being around for a number of years, they haven't really caught on, nor were they successful in getting selected as the national postcode. They failed.

Loc8 didn't fail!
    It's still running and being used by hundreds of people all over the country and hopefully will be there to provide a benchmark against which the Capita system can be judged.
    Loc8 were selected for use by Garmin and they chose no other!
    At least with Loc 8 the public would know what they were being sold instead of the pig in a poke on offer from the selected champion.
    So a much more interesting question is why did they fail? It's what they didn't do, rather than what they did do, that interests me.

Perhaps failing to get on the team advising the government was their biggest mistake? Failing to burrow into the decision making process and promoting themselves instead of relying on having a system that out performed all the competition was uncategorically honest in an Irish context, but ultimately naive.
    Loc8 weren't good at playing the cuckoo

That presents several potential opportunities to set up companies in the next year that are predicated on the proposed postcode system being implemented exactly as proposed.

I wonder if Capita realise the serpent they have clasped to their bosom?

It presents potential opportunities for anyone to pursue. There's none so blind as those who will not see.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

SpaceTime wrote: »
    French postcodes are a very bad model to follow.
    French rural addresses are nearly as chaotic as ours! All the post code tells you is the town or village (sometimes).

But the French have a rigorous mapping system, naming streets in towns/comunes.
    We can't even publish a complete map of L roads....
    let alone a map of townlands.

And we allow multinational courier companies to get away with not bothering to acquire proper maps of the country and then hassle you to get your parcel delivered.

Sam R,
    Saying Paris is outside dept75 is like saying Hobboken is in New York, or that part of Leixlip in Kildare is in Dublin, or Bray is in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

But the French have a rigorous mapping system, naming streets in towns/comunes.
    We can't even publish a complete map of L roads....
    let alone a map of townlands.

This is nonsense, there has been a complete map of townlands since 1830.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

And still none of the courier companies can figure out where to deliver stuff in the country...
    Cos they don't use maps with town lands marked on them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

And still none of the courier companies can figure out where to deliver stuff in the country...
    Cos they don't use maps with town lands marked on them

I think the problem is that individual houses within the townland may not be referenced. But there is no problem delivering anything if they subscribe to Geodirectory, I imagine they want something where someone else pays for it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ardmacha wrote: »
    I think the problem is that individual houses within the townland may not be referenced. But there is no problem delivering anything if they subscribe to Geodirectory, I imagine they want something where someone else pays for it.

I'd imagine they aren't very happy with the idea of paying their biggest competitor and having to pay whatever price their competitor sets!

Postcodes should not be owned by a private (or semi-state) company. It should be totally open and available to all for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Townlands are notoriously difficult to comprehend, they can be quite small and refer to a field in the country actually away from the actual town that may have moved for whatever reason and they often wrap around other townlands and that may involve a thirty minute drive around to get the the side one may actually want.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement