Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics to Finance/ Business/ Banking?

Options
  • 20-09-2009 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

I'm doing physics at the moment but I was thinking of maybe moving on to a financial/banking/business orientated course in Quinn after my degree if things don't work out as planned later on. I was reading a ucd perspectus yesterday and it said that many physics graduates go on into these types of sectors.

The questions I have are;

a) Do you need a BA/BSc in a financial, banking or business orientated course in order to enter a masters one of these programmes if you have a physics degree? (might be a stupid question but I've heard rumours)
    b) Do you need to have the advanced math modules in science under your belt to gain access to one of these degree/ masters programmes? (I'm not aloud to do them seen as I got a C1 in higher maths for the LC)

:DThx!:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

you can get a job in finance straight out of a physics degree if you try hard enough, might be a bit more difficult these days although maybe not as difficult as you'd think for a physics graduate.

it should be easy enough for you to get into a finance masters, especially in Smurfit (which does have a good international reputation)

i talked to a guy over the summer who did his degree & PhD in physics and now works in finance; he used to work for Merryl Lynch before it was bought out.

you should consider that the people doing commerce don't do very high level maths but it could give you an advantage - do a stats module as an elective (probability distributions, statistical interference or something like that. there's also a few different courses on financial maths taught through the maths studies degree (one second and one third year module i think, certainly there's a third year module)

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

The likes of the MSc in Business Analytics or the MSc in Quant Finance in Smurfit might be interested in Physics graduates. It would largely be maths ability they are after, but I imagine they wouldn't be too bothered about the Leaving Cert if you had performed well in your degree courses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

The level of maths you get from a physics degree shoud be more than enough for finance etc. but try taking some courses in differential equations, like math modelling and pde's, as alot of financhial maths seem to be based on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭ucdperson

The likes of the MSc in Business Analytics or the MSc in Quant Finance in Smurfit might be interested in Physics graduates.

The MSc in Business Analytics would be interested in Physics graduates, if they picked up a module with programming along the way. You wouldn't need to have done the advanced maths modules in Science, but you would be expected to have done well in the more basic ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Michaelrsh wrote: »
    b) Do you need to have the advanced math modules in science under your belt to gain access to one of these degree/ masters programmes? (I'm not aloud to do them seen as I got a C1 in higher maths for the LC)

That's amazing that you are not allowed !!!! What sort of rubbish is that? Maybe you had a crap teacher and couldn't afford grinds whilst student B3 repeated LC maths 3 times and had a team of tutors? No wonder this country is not doing well in uni league tables / R&D when colleges stop people doing what they want to do based on a 60 year old exam you only get one shot at.

• Advertisement
Advertisement