Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I buy a house in Passage West?

Options
  • 20-09-2009 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,
    I found a lovely house in passage west that im considering to buy but im unsure of the area. What are peoples opinion on the area?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭ciano6

having passed through the area for years, and knowing people from there when i was growing up, i genuinely think it is a terrible area with some troublesome spots. you have social problems and traffic/bad planning to contend with etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 shintintin

Thanks,
    My impression was that it looked like its a very outdated area, but if it was a friendly safe place with lovely walks and views you might get over the depressing looking main street.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

The traffic on the Rochestown Road is horrible in the mornings. The town itself is pretty run down, which is a pity as the area has an interesting history - see http://www.passagewestmonkstown.ie/

There is a nice walk along the old railway line which takes you up as far as Blackrock.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

NO!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I am looking to buy at the moment as well and there are a few houses in Passage that come up that look good from time to time but then I remember what a kip the place is, full of lunatics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The town is really grotty but the outskirts are lovely. I know a number of folk who have bought houses on the Rochestown side (Pembroke Woods) and they love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭V480

Think ye are being a bit harsh. Contorary to what most ppl think ('driving through' a town doesnt mean you know it inside out) Passage is statistically one of the quietest towns in Cork - it has one of the lowest crime rates. Certainly alot nicer than kips like Carrigaline and less snobby than Rochestown/Douglas. Still very much a 'Republican' town though (keep away from the pubs) and yes the traffic is crap heading to Cork City in the mornings but aside from that it's not too bad. I'd take it over some of the holes near the city any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

You have answered your own question, avoid like the plague.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭V480

I never thought I'd hear myself sticking up for Passage but seriously it's grand! What town doesnt have traffic problems? You should have seen the place 10 or 15 years ago, since then it has come on in leaps and bounds. Lovely walkway that can take you up as far as Mahon/Blackrock too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 kevkeegan

well john spilane seems to love the place anyway!

• Advertisement
Advertisement