Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Vet in Sligo/Mayo/Roscommon?

Options
  • 20-09-2009 11:09pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I have to get my cat neutered, and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good (and not too expensive!) vet in the South Sligo/North Mayo/ Roscommon general area: I'd prefer some first-hand experience rather than having to rely on the phone book.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

Well in the past I have used innisfree in sligo town, moy veterinary clinic in ballina and sabine conboy in ballygawley which is in co.sligo near ballysadare.

Innisfree neutered my cat but I had a voucher for her that I could only use there, they tend to be very expensive and paying extra doesn't always mean a better service, I did work experience there and I can honestly say I won't be going back to them. Even though Brendan there is lovely, probably the nicest out of them all and has a better way with both people and animals.

Moy vet clinic (I think thats the name anyways) I have used a few times for nothing too serious (thankfully) and iv found they are lovely vets and its very reasonably priced, the last time i was there it was for my cat who I suspected might of had a urinary infection, the vet (can't remember her name) was very nice and gave bunty a very thorough examination and even came running back out to us when we had left to tell us something she'd forgotten to tell us, just little things like the best litter and food to use for her, but that to me is a sign of a good vet, she didn't just forget about us after we'd walked out of the room and payed, she seemed to geuinely care, not to mention they actually listen to you, you'd be surprised at the amount of vets that have the 'im the vet here and you know nothing at all' kind of way about them when you try to tell them something:(!

I have only ever used Sabine for vaccinations for our dog, and have known other people who have used her and are happy with her, and shes very reasonably priced. One thing I will say is if your dog is even just a little on the pudgy side she will tell you he is morbidly obese, everyone who goes to her says the same thing:D!! Oh and im also related to her husband, he looks like santa:eek:!!

I know someone else that used mc dermotts across the road from innisfree and they said they were happy with them and was a lot cheaper than innisfree. I also done work experience with ryan and tempany's in dromore-west, they are mainly large animals but do treat cats and dogs, went there with my cat not long after I got her the first time she went into heat, and she told me she was constipated, maura there deals with most of the small animals but I spent most of my time with gerry and I have to say I prefer him.

Woops sorry for the long post, I personally would chose Moy in Ballina but thats just me, choose wisely:D!

If you've any q's feel free to ask away!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

+1 on Sabine, she gives very practical advice and she definately wont rip you off. We went to her when our cat was injured at about 11 on a sunday night.

At the minute we go to the Green vetinary clinic in Boyle, they are very professional but as neutering is a standard procedure will probably charge about 50-60 euro. No harm in asking for a price beforehand though

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

+2 on Sabine and her team (there's three of them altogether)

No bull****, no rip-off, good care

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

peasant wrote: »
    +2 on Sabine and her team (there's three of them altogether)

No bull****, no rip-off, good care

Spot on.
    We use them as well. We get our two vaccinated there. We also got our Bichon spayed there too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Thanks folks, Sabine sounds like the best option so far.

I was wondering, does anyone have any experience of the vets in Charlestown or in Tubbercurry? They'd be nearer to where I live so the trip might be less stressful for my terminator-shredder (my puddy tat), but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't be prepared to travel for the right vet.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭pinkyfluff

go to peter walsh in collooney, hes really good and does not charge a consultation fee, male neutering costs about 40 female is 50, he is the best vet in all of co sligo, i brought my cat over to him once and he only charged me 8 euro for the meds, the cat had a swolllen septic paw,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

+1 for Sabine Conboy and crew. I used to go to Inisfree but they are just too expensive if you have 3 cats like me. Sabine is much cheaper and her follow up is brill. She asked me to bring the cat back 3 times in one week for uri tract infection but only charged for the initial consult and the meds. Highly recommended!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

Wow didn't think there was so many from sligo on here!! Iv also heard good reports from peter in collooney but have never used them. As far as I know hes mainly a large animal vet (could be wrong?), friend of mine brings her horses to him.
    If your ringing about the cost of neutering its also worth asking about disolvable stitchs, I know innisfree use them but im not sure about other places, basically it means that you don't have to go back for a follow-up to have the regular ones removed, and if your fella doesn't like travelling (same as mine) it would be less stressful.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭abbey2000

pinkyfluff wrote: »
    go to peter walsh in collooney, hes really good and does not charge a consultation fee, male neutering costs about 40 female is 50, he is the best vet in all of co sligo, i brought my cat over to him once and he only charged me 8 euro for the meds, the cat had a swolllen septic paw,

:eek: I paid 250 to have my male and female dogs neutered...did i get totally ripped off??? now that did include an overnight stay as i had to leave them in the evening before, but that still seems really steep in comparison to the other prices quoted?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭PinkTulips

do any of ye know of a decent small animal vet in the ballaghaderreen/castlerea/charlestown/ballyhaunis area?

• Advertisement
Advertisement