Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE" Late Night stars of poker - Sunday night.

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Edited to remove mobile number and stuff. Probably best to contact them through the pp website or BCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭smurph

I've written to Paddypower regarding DP Fitzgerald hosting this show, he's awful and knows nothing about poker.

I received this reply:

Thanks for your comments below, I have passed them on to the person looking after TV for the Irish Open 2010.

Kind Regards

Jenny

Jenny Cruess Callaghan
    Poker Events & PR Manager

www.paddypowerpoker.com

Probably pointless but dropping here a mail to show your disapproval for their choice in presenter may get one of us the gig... Personally I'd be happy to just get rid of him!

In fairness,
    I think that's a bit harsh... and in this economic climate, I don't think we should be emailing anyone, trying to get someone dropped...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I kinda grew fond of his ways as the series progressed! Almost like a sort of Jimmy Magee, he may sprout out utter nonesence but you'd miss him when he's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭wannabecraig

smurph wrote: »
    In fairness,
    I think that's a bit harsh... and in this economic climate, I don't think we should be emailing anyone, trying to get someone dropped...

Even if they're awful at their job? Such an Irish attitude. Complain about it in your armchair but not to anybody that can actually make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭smurph

Even if they're awful at their job? Such an Irish attitude. Complain about it in your armchair but not to anybody that can actually make a difference.

Probably pointless but dropping here a mail to show your disapproval for their choice in presenter may get one of us the gig... Personally I'd be happy to just get rid of him!

It's not an irish attitude.. I didn't think he was that bad, and to be honest, I don't reckon anyone here would be able to do the gig...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Complaining and begrudging is terribly Irish too

CHD wrote: »
    Complaining and begrudging is terribly Irish too

Actually, I bet to differ, maybe we don;t complain enough, that's why the country is such a mess and we have idiots all over our TV and running the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Actually, I bet to differ, maybe we don;t complain enough, that's why the country is such a mess and we have idiots all over our TV and running the country.

I'd like to complain about the misuse of the phrase 'I beg to differ'. ;)

Assuming that the Irish media and political spheres are littered with muppets, I can think of 1001 more worthy targets for your frustration.

Actually no, he's top of my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭percy007

Actually no, he's top of my list.

Change your name to wannabeDPFitz imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

Seriously though, it's just a late night poker show not the six one news. Sending an email was a bit OTT. I wouldn't exactly say the Irish are a nation of begrudgers, I think we just like to slag the arse off everyone. (or is that just me)
    John Higgins getting sloshed on the porter was hilarious and the hightlight for me. (and the cranky Pirate)

Ok, it does sound like I have something personal against him now. I'll knock it on the head. I just feel it makes the show unwatchable. Also, I'm probably looking at it from the wrong POV. he's job is to bring the fish on-line, which he may very well be doing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

I don't reckon anyone here would be able to do the gig...

I'm not advocating sending emails to RTE about it now, but standing / sitting and talking a little like a Rory Calhoun isn't rocket science. The challenge to doing it on TV is not to be incredibly nervous and fluff it, DP fails in this. I reckon if every member of this forum did a show then DP would fall just below the median in performance.

Also, thinly veiled "I fancy DP" post imo :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

I've tried, I can't do the voice :-( I think we should get Miley (Glenroe) to do do it. Perfect , bring a certain Celtic Poker flavour to it, plus he looks about as filthy as yer average poker player. Well holy god, that fella is all in again, his blagarding will catch up on him. Hmm sorry that's more like Nicky Power isn't it. I KNOW, Get Nicky POWER to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

D P Fitzgerald is ok. I've got used to him.

Are Jenny Cruess Callaghan and Frank Cruess Callaghan related? What's the story?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭corkie123

kincsem wrote: »
    D P Fitzgerald is ok. I've got used to him.

Are Jenny Cruess Callaghan and Frank Cruess Callaghan related? What's the story?

jenny is frank daughter and a lovely girl

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Come on they are all dreadful Laura Woods doing the IO stuff and then they had some other chick doing reporting during it and then that DP Fitzgerald they might be the nicest people in the world but they are dreadful at the poker stuff very cringe worthy!

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭doke

It's not an irish attitude.. I didn't think he was that bad, and to be honest, I don't reckon anyone here would be able to do the gig...

Bit harsh on Nicky Power imo.

I see DP's now turned up on Sky poker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

doke wrote: »
    Bit harsh on Nicky Power imo.

I see DP's now turned up on Sky poker.

Give him some coaching Dara.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭westlife

Are you talking about DP in the IO broadcast or the pokerstars late nite... OR BOTH! The only negative thing I would say about him is that if he stuck to the pure presentation of the programme he would be fine. They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing and its only when he gets into talking about hands that it gets bit rough. I know that the producers are trying to appeal to a broader audience, (which pisses off the poker 'experts') so why not have a presenter with no poker background presenting and asking the basic questions that a poker newbie would ask. Leave the commentary stuff to the likes of Parky and Neill Channing (excellent imo) and I think it would be a sweeter show. Just my op.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 GarMaNarrNarr

Hi,

This is a bit of a longshot but did anyone here happen to record the Late Night Stars of Poker aired on the 11th of October 2009?

Someone sent a link to RTE player for it on page 9 but the link ends up on the homepage.

My cousin Mairtin was on the final table with Bernard Dunne.

Thanks in advance for any response.

Advertisement