Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does NAMA 'bail out' developers?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Cliste wrote: »
    Firstly I don't see how NAMA can afford to be leinient on the loans, if anything, with the risk of bankrupting the country NAMA would have to be pretty ruthless (although I can understand doubts to this)
    I don't think they will be ruthless for two reasons.

1. It is fair to see there's a fairly optimistic view of the market underlying the NAMA philosophy.

2. NAMA will be the biggest single player in the market.

If NAMA were a small player, one of many players, holding one or two loans, then it would be a no brainer to dump many of the assets. First of all there would not be a huge impact on the market and secondly the impact doesn't really matter as, having shifted your assets, the impact will mainly affect others.

However NAMA will be the largest single entity on the market. Any decision will have to take into account the impact on the market since it will hold so much of the market.

Therefore the tendency will be to go easy on developers. Make them delay their projects as long as possible. Help them with financing. And so on. This is why they were cheering in Spain.

Politically if they were to let, say, Zoe go to the wall after NAMA is established and all their properties get thrown onto the market (which is what an individual bank would want to do) then people would be asking why we paid x billion for these loans when we only got y billion when they were sold. Not to mention that all the other assets would need to be revalued.

To me this is why NAMA is flawed. If, having established NAMA, you have to take these bizarre non-commercial steps to keep it going then ultimately it is doomed to failure.

Advertisement