Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PGCE-- confussed... need advice please

• 21-09-2009 12:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭

hey all. just wondering if anyone can give me some advice-

Im in final year of BA in maryi. english and history

always wanted to do the higher dip in Ed. i knew my exam results would have to be good due to competition etc..

it goes on our 2nd year results due to us being on co-op.. my QCA was 2.88..

so my 2.88 = 38 points
    co-op year working in a secondary school = 1point.. so 39..
    and after reading up on info i saw that CORK was 41points..
    DUBLIN 41points.. Galway 42...
    so am i screwed????? i had my heart set on getting it...
    like if i do really well in my 4th year exams does that not count, like will that not be taken into consideration??

my other option is perhaps do a postgrad and then apply for Hdip the following..
    i also saw that in Trinity its interview based.. does anyone have any advice on it?
    basically im totally confussed.. :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭Rosita

Your final results will count if you delay applying until you have them.

The Dip in Education people have no particular fetish with second year results - they merely go with the latest results available. For people applying to start immediately after they finish their final under-grad year - application is December 1st before the Dip starts - this means they will not have final year results available. That's the only reason that has become an issue.

Applying to Trinity is fine but you cannot rely on that. You can control what you get in your exams but you cannot control the pre-conceived notions of an interview panel or assume that they will accept you. Better to have a grade which will get you into the NUI colleges and then view Trinity as just another option or a bonus depending on your perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭maggie_cork

thanks for your advice..

problem is though that i dont have the min points for NUI colleges, well going on last years points.. should i still apply anyway? i think i should..

• Registered Users Posts: 11 droglife

Probably a silly question but how do you work out the point's ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

they're on the CAO handbook, or probably on the website too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

droglife wrote: »
    how do you work out the point's ?

http://www.pac.ie/pgdeinfo/PointsCalc.php?inst=pe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Does anyone know how the points are calculated when you don't get a percentage but just a grade. Some professional institutions don't give percentages, just grades.

Like if you get 3A's and 2B's in your finals.

Minimum that's 70 70 70 60 60 which is 66%

Or do they say 3A's and 2B's is a B which is 60%?

That's a difference of 3 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 droglife

pathway33 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how the points are calculated when you don't get a percentage but just a grade. Some professional institutions don't give percentages, just grades.

Like if you get 3A's and 2B's in your finals.

Minimum that's 70 70 70 60 60 which is 66%

Or do they say 3A's and 2B's is a B which is 60%?

That's a difference of 3 points.

Is it only your final year results that count ? Im my case I had a three going into my final year and I got a high 2.1 in my final year. So my final degree was a 2.2.
    Im in the same boat. Only grades.. No precentages...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭maggie_cork

i think they have actually updated their site aswell because about a week ago i looked at the points and a QCA of 2.88 = 39 points and i looked yesterdam and now 2.88= 40.. hope this is true because i would have my 40points plus my 1point for last year teaching so if its 41 ive the minium required points for cork and dublin..

its so confusing ant it!!

Advertisement