Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

n00b at WoW

Options
  • 21-09-2009 1:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

What is the craic with this World of Warcraft? Is it a bit of craic? Whats the basic jist of it? Whats the storyline like?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

i started playing 5 days ago... dont do it... my soul... its gone

oh no!!!

it wants more

its a giant mmorpg-er where you can be any (of bout 10) races and comlete quests to raise your level so that you can kill n00bs. apart from that it is quite addicting though the combat is a bit boring. to paraphrase zp: you attack by clicking on your enemy once, and if your really advanced clicking on him twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

smk89 wrote: »

oh no!!!

it wants more

its a giant mmorpg-er where you can be any (of bout 10) races and comlete quests to raise your level so that you can kill n00bs. apart from that it is quite addicting though the combat is a bit boring. to paraphrase zp: you attack by clicking on your enemy once, and if your really advanced clicking on him twice.

Where do you get this rubbish from?

It can be very entertaining... it can also be very boring.

Only you can decide that, check it out for yourself. Get a 10 day trial from the official site and see what you think. The real game starts at level 80 though... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

oh no!!!

it wants more

LOL. Dont mind this guy, he is my roommate and absolutely sucks ass at the game. He cant even kill stuff as a ret paladin and spends most of his time dead. fun to watch though, mash those keys harder Sean.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Maqnus wrote: »
    What is the craic with this World of Warcraft? Is it a bit of craic? Whats the basic jist of it? Whats the storyline like?

Long story short WoW is a massively multiplayer online game where you create a character and roam around a huge world levelling it up by fighting monsters, completing quests. When you reach the highest level (currently 80) you can either call it quits then at that or start trying to raid and see the rest of the game.

It can get very addictive in the sense that you never actually feel like you're finished. There's always something else you can do and failing that you can just roll a new character.

It can be great fun especially if you're playing with friends or if you're in a good guild. Even though it is an online game you'll find you'll spend a large portion of it doing quests solo.

I'd recommend you try it out if you're interested in seeing what it's like (some people fall in love with it) but to be honest there's much better things you could spend your time doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

LOL. Dont mind this guy, he is my roommate and absolutely sucks ass at the game. He cant even kill stuff as a ret paladin and spends most of his time dead. fun to watch though, mash those keys harder Sean.

ssssh! its a secret. maybe if i mash those buttons harder itll disguise my total lack of skill and maybe someone will love me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

ssssh! its a secret. maybe if i mash those buttons harder itll disguise my total lack of skill and maybe someone will love me

You play a ret paladin, those require no skill at all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 83,443 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Maqnus wrote: »
    For the story and all that play Warcraft III the RTS and its expansion, the Frozen Throne. Did those a few years ago they were good fun. Theres also a Bonus campaign in there called the founding of Durotar which served as Blizzard's initial prototype for WoW. The events in WoW take place 4 years after the RTS.

Its a fun game, I just started. My first piece of advice is get a trial key off a buddy and play in the same realm: he gets free gametime for this and you get a huge experience boost when you guys quest together, so you can level much quicker. Once you've played a few days go ahead and buy the battlechest or something, the time is added on top of the trial, and there are expansion trials - potentially, you could play for 30 days free, and another 30 days that you get from buying the Battlechest. So really 60 days before you have to subscribe ;)

Large chunk of the fun is in player interaction - first time you do a 5-man Stockade/Deadmines run you'll know what I mean. You can also start doing battlegrounds from level 10 onward which are good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭magilly

My advice... if you have a decent social life atm... dont play wow !!! LOL. Not even joking pal, if you get hooked on the game then you'll probably start sidelining other things in your life to play it !!! I wish i never played the game, its just too good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

You can get hooked on it but it won't destroy your life unless you let it. It's like anything else that you enjoy, drinking or w/e, if you do it too much it can turn into an addiction. Life is all about priorities. Like if you need a bio during a raid, you're gonna want to hear the bowl splash instead of pooing in your pants and mashing your hot keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

or if you have a social life, learn to prioritise and time manage, you can have immense fun yet still maintain a healthy lifestyle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement