Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A proposal to ameliorate the budget crisis.

Options
  • 21-09-2009 2:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭

We need to bring more money into the State. And there's only so much taxes are going to do for it. We need something State run and State owned that makes money, and that makes a lot of money.

The state needs to do something people will *Pay* to see.

Might I suggest a Battle Royale?

One class of thirty secondary school student. First of all, money is saved immediately by removing them from the education system, prefereably in Third year or Transition year.

Take them to an island off the coast, or an enclosed valley. Arm them. Set them about killing each other live on national and international television. After all, the ultimate reality TV show is the one where the loser dies, right?

The US will drink it up... merchandising alone will bring in millions, along with product-placement contracts with major firearms manufacturers, syndication sales, DvD sales and so on. Japan will go ballistic for it.... especially the uncensored version....

The deaths of 30 schoolchildren will bring in many hundreds of millions of Euro.... multiply by 3 times a year.... easily over a billion euro.

All in all, 90 kiddies seems pretty cheap, when you consider the lives that can be saved by the HSE with that money. On a balance of deaths, how many more will live, than die?

If it improves cancer care and detection? Medication and treatment availability? How many lives will be improved by just 90 deaths?

When you put it like that, it makes perfect sense.

For every 1 person who dies, how many more will live because that person died? Can you honestly say you would look into the faces of those who must die because you didn't have the moral fortitude to kill one person, and tell them you made the moral choice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 F4Fake

I'm pretty sure we'd lose all of that money when the Japanese sue us for copyright infringement...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

This is just as well developed and rational as the other "one easy solution" posts and reeks a hell of a lot less of cheap soapbar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

when in Rome...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I suggest a competition similar to the likes of the Running Man with some Fianna Fail cronies as the runners. Just dangle €5 on a string to get them started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

oh sorry i must have accidentally stumbled into the painful death forum.
    il just leave and go back to carebear and sensible ideas forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

A government that thinks it can tax a country into prosperity, is a government that needs to be fired/replaced/overthrown/hung and let real people that can run a business in to run the country.

A government that thinks it can tax a country into prosperity, is a government that needs to be fired/replaced/overthrown/hung and let real people that can run a business in to run the country.

rebellion!! you go first, i need to get my coat

I need a good nights sleep first :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Like the idea, but hows abouts;
    we just film EMO's, lets face it, half of them will top themselves without provocation (entertaining and we can always have betting on which one will slash their wrists first) and the other half will engage in that freaky awkward teenage sex thats bound to be a ratings winner.
    And really who will give a feck if there's 30 less EMO's running around.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I opposed any budget cuts and won't stand for tax increases. I expect the budget deficit to disappear if we hide behind a bush for long enough and don't move so it thinks we're dead. Then we sneak up behind it, hit it over the head with a sock full of 20 cent pieces and steal it's wallet.

• Advertisement

Robbo wrote: »
    I opposed any budget cuts and won't stand for tax increases. I expect the budget deficit to disappear if we hide behind a bush for long enough and don't move so it thinks we're dead. Then we sneak up behind it, hit it over the head with a sock full of 20 cent pieces and steal it's wallet.

Your hired.

ok firstly the op is talking about having students violently kill each other to stop the recession and the thread has now decended into a discusion about tax levels. how did this happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

smk89 wrote: »
    ok firstly the op is talking about having students violently kill each other to stop the recession and the thread has now decended into a discusion about tax levels. how did this happen?

Must be a lack of mod's tonight, thats what happens in AH if the mod's dont show up, the thread descends into rational thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

Because it's a good plan and nobody has seen fit to object to it.... natch'.

I'm inverting AH in the hope of creating a black hole.

Usually a thread starts out with a reasonable notion and descends into bloodlust, I'm turning this around.

So, has anyone thought about lobbying the ECB for a favourable bond issue (through the appropriate channels, of course)?

Its 2:40am Monday morning, any "normal" person would be getting up for work in a few hours, unlike us in after hours where all the countries problems are solved.

P.S. why didnt NAMA take over all the bad mortgages in this country instead, as opposed to all the "bad loans".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I had to look up ameliorate :(

P.S. why didnt NAMA take over all the bad mortgages in this country instead, as opposed to all the "bad loans".
    Because the very genesis of the international banking crisis has been the bundling up and selling packages of ****e mortgages, given to liars who could never afford them in first place, hoping to place an even money bet with someone else's cash. Abstract capitalism.

Touche

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It would mean more organs for donation, but transplants cost a lot of money...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

How about a Northside vs Southside Thunderdome?

Advertisement