Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Courier scam???

Options
  • 21-09-2009 8:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi all,

Did anybody get recently a phone call or text message from the number 087 7410931?

Seems to be a scam. I got a text message and three calls from that number in the last 5 days. The text message said "I have a parcel for you". I called back and nobody answered. After a minute I got the first call. They did not identify themselves at all, and at the end of the call they got my name, address and that I was not going to be at home for the next several hours.

Suspicious, after the call I ran home and hopefully no surprises. But next day they called again. And this morning at 07:00 again!!! Which company will phone you out of business hours?

Vlas

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Did you give them your name and address? I'm not sure what you meant that at the end of the call they had these details?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 vlas

Hi Mark,

Yes, during the conversation they got my name and address, that later they confirmed did not match the name and address of the parcel, but they still expected me to go and pick it up to Balbriggan (!).

Every call it was a different guy calling. The first one confirmed that the number he dialed was wrong. Can three people working together make the same mistake dialing a number?

Vlas

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Did they say what company they worked for?

Don't ever hand out your details over the phone without knowing who you are speaking to.

Hi Dudara,

No, they just mentioned that they were a courier company based in Dublin.

Vlas

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Then it definitely appears dodgy. Did they give you an address to go to in Balbriggan?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Never give information to anyone that rings you, get them to give you the details for you to confirm. Did they even know your name when they rang? If they didn't even have your name, then they've either got the wrong number, or it's a scam.

No, at the end of the first call they mentioned the name of the person to whom the parcel was addressed, a weird one which I cannot remember. So then I told them that was not me and finished the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

vlas wrote: »
    No, at the end of the first call they mentioned the name of the person to whom the parcel was addressed, a weird one which I cannot remember. So then I told then that was not me and finished the call.

I seriously doubt this was a courier company.

Was it your landline number they called, or your mobile?

TBH - this sounds like they were trying to see if you were in or not, or indeed persuading you to leave the house (to go to balbriggan) possibly setting you up for a burglary.

If someone is calling you, never confirm your address or any details unless you know exactly who it is that is calling.

Hi Gunner,

They called to my mobile. I doubt it too. I guess they tried same with several aleatory mobile numbers, so probably more people got their calls.

Vlas

Hi Gunner,

They called to my mobile. I doubt it too. I guess they tried same with several aleatory mobile numbers, so probably more people got their calls.

Vlas

Do you have the number they called from?

Might be an idea just to pop down to the local garda station and report it, just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

Sounds dodge to me

Yes, this one:

087 7410931

Interesting that they have not voice mailbox and do not answer if you dial the number.

No, at the end of the first call they mentioned the name of the person to whom the parcel was addressed, a weird one which I cannot remember. So then I told them that was not me and finished the call.

But you had already given them your name and address at this point, no?

Yes, that's right Jor El.

It's strange that after you gave them your name, they then gave you a different name, and then asked you to come to Balbriggan to collect a parcel for someone else.

Don't answer any more calls from that number, and possibly report it to the Gardai if you think they might be criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Maruney

Yes, this one:

087 7410931

Interesting that they have not voice mailbox and do not answer if you dial the number.

I just rang that number from work here (blocked #) and I got an answer, asked was this the courier service and he replied no.

Im bored today....

Well in that case I would report it. These idiots are obviously attempting a scam / burglary or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

at the end of the call they got my name, address and that I was not going to be at home for the next several hours.
    Hello boss, this is Pie Key Ltd, and we want your name, address, and your whereabouts for the next few hours...

I dunno, did they ask where you left your spare key? :pac:

Advertisement