Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public sector earns 25pc more

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭optocynic

seangal wrote: »
    Get your facts right
    i am a public sector worker and before any pension levy I was paying €120 a week in to my pension
    And just to bring you up to date the PENSION LEVY is not going in to our pension it is going straight back to the dept of finance it was called a pension levy as at the time they said they could not do a pay cut

You were topping up your pension by €120 a week.
    Is that number right??..
    €480 a month gone to your pension?
    You must be rolling in the dough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭seangal

Ally Dick wrote: »
    You can thank Bertie Ahern for this mess. He awarded 20% benchmarking to the public service. That goes some way to explaining the 25% in the latest survey
    Who got 20%?
    I got 6.5% paid over 7 years
    ie I got 0.92% a year out of benchmarking
    Don’t believe everything you read in a paper

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

optocynic wrote: »
    Actually, I don't see your point here. He was in FAS. He built his own extension, they paid for it.. and paid him to build it..

But, tell me... would you be surprised if "FAS paying for extensions for staff" was a headline in to morrow's paper? I know I wouldn't be.

1. my question is why FAS would pay for an extension to a house?

2. i would be surprised at such a headline, staying at more expensive hotels and flying first class on expenses is one thing, its squandering public money...but the other would be outright corrupt and I imagine, illegal

Riskymove wrote: »
    1. my question is why FAS would pay for an extension to a house?

2. i would be surprised at such a headline, staying at more expensive hotels and flying first class on expenses is one thing, its squandering public money...but the other would be outright corrupt and I imagine, illegal

Not really. With the pathetic planning laws and loop-holes.. all he has to say is.. he or someone in his family had a bad back.. can't walk all the time etc.. and they need a ground floor extension. It is actually rather easy, they would build a wheelchair accessable living area/bedroom/bathroom.. and a ramp in front and back...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

Just wondering Mickman, Optocynic and Jimmmy if ye are working today?!

Nobody is paying me for my time while I am posting this. No., not even a coffee break...nobody pays me for coffee or tea breaks either. I remember a few months ago debating with a p.s. poster on this very board , and he said he was entitled to do what he wanted on his tea breaks, and I pointed out the length of his tea breaks lol.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Not really. With the pathetic planning laws and loop-holes.. all he has to say is.. he or someone in his family had a bad back.. can't walk all the time etc.. and they need a ground floor extension. It is actually rather easy, they would build a wheelchair accessable living area/bedroom/bathroom.. and a ramp in front and back...

well sure if there is someone who is disabled and in need of extension then fine, I have experience of that in my own family

...not sure what you mean about pathetic planning laws though?

You were topping up your pension by €120 a week.
    Is that number right??..
    €480 a month gone to your pension?
    You must be rolling in the dough!
    wish i was
    i pay pension of €54
    i pay PRSI of €74 but i am not entitled to a state old age pension
    a person employed in public sector before 1995 will get there public sector pension plus state old age pension
    and now i am paying pension levy of €72 euro a week or in total €200 a week and have to listen to people saying we dont pay in to out pension
    private sector pay PRSI will get a state pension from it plus what every private pension they get

Where do you think the billion or so budget FAS had during the boom times went ? It did not all go on junkets to Florida. A friend of mine, who used to live two houses away, got a nice few little bits of materials for a little job he was doing on his new home, out of FAS.;) I would imagine this kind of thing went on quite a bit....nor in fairness was / is it limited to the public sector.

well sure if there is someone who is disabled and in need of extension then fine, I have experience of that in my own family

...not sure what you mean about pathetic planning laws though?

Having seen it all up close... in several counties too. The cronieism.. and downright crap is another source of ilk at the Public Sector.

Telling you what style house you can build (Window size etc.).. you have to 'local'.. ("are you locallll"... sound familiar).. before you can build..
    The full croniesm was shown to me in an instance where permission for a house was refused due to asthetics... but, once the planner discovered the applicant was a memeber of their GAA club.. it was approved..
    My father designed the house and submitted the application..

a person employed in public sector before 1995 will get there public sector pension plus state old age pension
    plus the one and a half years tax free lump sum , or a proportionate amount depending on their length of service. ( as far as I know , for most p.s. its 40 years, for the Gardai its 30 years and for the judiciary its 15 years )
    and now i am paying pension levy of €72 euro a week or in total €200 a week

as the other poster said, "You must be rolling in the dough!"
    Many a private sector worker wishes they were paying that much in to their pension, and that it had a govt guarantee etc.

• Advertisement

wish i was
    i pay pension of €54
    i pay PRSI of €74 but i am not entitled to a state old age pension
    and now i am paying pension levy of €72 euro a week or in total €200 a week and have to listen to people saying we dont pay in to out pension
    private sector pay PRSI will get a state pension from it plus what every private pension they get

Well, you pay into your pension now! No Doubt!

If you are so unhappy with your situation, why not move to the private sector?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

If you are so unhappy with how the public sector is paid, why not move to a country where it is paid less :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

doncarlos wrote: »
    If you are so unhappy with how the public sector is paid, why not move to a country where it is paid less :p

Curious as to where the PS people think the money to pay for wages and pensions is going to continue to come from?

Funny... I'll put it this way. If I leave, and people in jobs like mine leave... there will be a lot less tax revenue to pay the PS too..

And I am thinking of 'escaping'...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

tunney wrote: »
    Curious as to where the PS people think the money to pay for wages and pensions is going to continue to come from?

Well it's not, and if you read through most of the PS people's posts many expect there to be some sort of cuts. I think most (myself included) take issue with being called lazy just because someone's neighbour, friend etc works in the public sector and claims to do FA work. We also take issue with being told how great money we are all on when in fact quite a few of us are not. If the non public sector people posted solutions instead of forming a witch hunt maybe there would be a more constructive debate on the forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

optocynic - if your working from home how are you on the web all day

i did work in the private sector for years
    i took this job back in 2001 as it is a job i wanted to do
    when i took it i took a wage drop of about 7k and back then nobody wanted this job
    i never said i was unhappy what i did say was people need to get there facts correct
    what i see happing is the lump sum will be taxed and all new people who enter the public sector will not the get the GREAT pension
    So to all yea begrugers i say " yea better get in here quick"

Many people have roots here, and property in negative equity / very difficult to sell

mickman wrote: »
    optocynic - if your working from home how are you on the web all day

I'm finished work now.. since I'm flying to Rome this evening.. for a meeting tomorrow.. think I will finish my work on the plane.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭WaltKowalski

jimmmy wrote: »

as the other poster said, "You must be rolling in the dough!"
    Many a private sector worker wishes they were paying that much in to their pension, and that it had a govt guarantee etc.

Jimmmy - as I said earlier, there is no guarantee that I will receive my pension.

I have done the sums. My partner was paying into a private pension with a large Irish financial institution. He entitlements on retirement were more than what mine are thought will be - but based on a smaller contribution.

I have no choice but to pay into the public sector pension scheme. I can't chose to pay into a private pension fund instead.

Also, I do take a tea break at work. I work for a notoriously strict department (relative to others). We're allowed 15 minutes. Some take an afternoon break too. I'm not allowed to take break at my desk. I clock in at my desk on arrival at work and clock out when I leave.

I'd be very surprised to hear of any employer, in an office based environment, that doesn't allow tea/coffee breaks

• Advertisement

Jimmmy - as I said earlier, there is no guarantee that I will receive my pension.

As a public service worker, you are a hell of a lot more likely to get a decent pension compared to the average private sector worker can afford or will get. Not to mention your 18 months tax free payment on completion of your service :D

seangal go back to sleep man. you want the state pension as well as the PS One. you will get a huge lump sum plus a massive pension on retirement. if the pension isnt great then why are there so many public sector rats racing to retire this year before the pensions are changed

i did work in the private sector for years
    i took this job back in 2001 as it is a job i wanted to do
    when i took it i took a wage drop of about 7k and back then nobody wanted this job
    i never said i was unhappy what i did say was people need to get there facts correct
    what i see happing is the lump sum will be taxed and all new people who enter the public sector will not the get the GREAT pension
    So to all yea begrugers i say " yea better get in here quick"

If you are looking for begrudgers.. look at the union leaders/members.
    Their solution is to tax the successful even more... leaving them with no disposable income.. have these twits never heard of trickle-down?

Since I am (according to O'Connor & Brown) rich... I should pay for the indisputably inflated PS wage bill... bull crap..
    If the services provided were good I would pay..

And what service do I consume?

Roads = motor tax
    Bins = bin tags
    Water = soon to be charged

So, I am paying for Gardai... OK..
    But what else?

jimmmy wrote: »
    As a public service worker, you are a hell of a lot more likely to get a decent pension compared to the average private sector worker can afford or will get. Not to mention your 18 months tax free payment on completion of your service :D
    So if it is all so great JIM why did u not join the public sector??????????

seangal go back to sleep man. you want the state pension as well as the PS One. you will get a huge lump sum plus a massive pension on retirement. if the pension isnt great then why are there so many public sector rats racing to retire this year before the pensions are changed
    If you can read what i said was those that were in befor 1995 will get both
    us after 1995 will just get our public sector pension whick mean that the PRSI that we pay go towards out public sector pension
    Put people who dont understand what they are talking about keep saying we dont pay any thing to out pension
    maybe it is you that need to get out of bed

seangal you are saying that with an attitude as if you expect to be able to get both pensions. get some sense wil you man

If you are looking for begrudgers.. look at the union leaders/members.
    Their solution is to tax the successful even more... leaving them with no disposable income.. have these twits never heard of trickle-down?

Since I am (according to O'Connor & Brown) rich... I should pay for the indisputably inflated PS wage bill... bull crap..
    If the services provided were good I would pay..

And what service do I consume?

Roads = motor tax
    Bins = bin tags
    Water = soon to be charged

So, I am paying for Gardai... OK..
    But what else?
    Dont get me started on UNIONS
    but you do pay for nursers, teachers, Fire officers, Cops, TD'S
    people need guys to run our revenue dept and social welfare dept
    But make no mistake the public sector is shrinking ( in my place of work) anyways

So if it is all so great JIM why did u not join the public sector??????????

typical public service rant.

I won the lotto so why did you not too ??????????????

Fact : not everyone can or should be public servants.

The country has enough problems trying to support the 300,000 plus govt workers ( @ the highest govt. pay rates in the known world ) without trying to support me as well.

Oh, and thousands did apply to join , even during the "tiger".

seangal you are saying that with an attitude as if you expect to be able to get both pensions. get some sense wil you man

Can you read?
    I will try again
    In plain English " THE PENSION THAT I WILL GET WILL BE MADE UP OF MY PRSI CONTRIBUTION AND MY PENSION CONTRIBUTION WHICH TODAY STANDS AT ALMOST €200 A WEEK BUT PEOPLE LIKE YOU KEEP SAYING I DONT PAY IN TO IT (30 YEAR TO GO TO PENSION = 52 *200*30 YEARS =€312000)
    If I could take that €200 and invest it my way for the 30 year I know I would be just as well off but I have no choice but give it to my GREAT PENSION

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭WaltKowalski

If you can read what i said was those that were in befor 1995 will get both
    us after 1995 will just get our public sector pension whick mean that the PRSI that we pay go towards out public sector pension
    Put people who dont understand what they are talking about keep saying we dont pay any thing to out pension
    maybe it is you that need to get out of bed

I'm open to correction but I think you have your info a bit mixed up.
    I'm in "the service" since 2002 - so post 1995.
    I'm of the opinion that pre 1995 recruits give post 1995 recruits a bad name!!
    Pre '95 recruits pay a very low rate of prsi (and an ever so slightly higher rate of pension contribution) and are not entitled to social welfare benefits. So if they take sick leave, maternity leave or retire, their income does not consist of any social welfare payment.
    I pay the regular A rate of prsi so if I was to ever take maternity leave or when I retire, some of the payment I will receive is made up social welfare payments, which along with everyone else who pays prsi, i am entitled to.

P.S. This thread has helped me pass a very boring day - so thanks!!!

Advertisement