Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public sector earns 25pc more

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭seangal

jimmmy wrote: »
    typical public service rant.

I won the lotto so why did you not too ??????????????

Fact : not everyone can or should be public servants.

The country has enough problems trying to support the 300,000 plus govt workers ( @ the highest govt. pay rates in the known world ) without trying to support me as well.

Oh, and thousands did apply to join , even during the "tiger".
    That say it all
    Jim get in quick before the great pension is taken away for new people in the budget

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ayankabroad

The pay disparity is only one issue that the government needs to address. The bigger concern would be the inefficiencies that are inherent is a system that has no relation to performance reward. This is still a system whereby individuals can avail of promotions based solely upon length of service. Also look at the ratios of management to staff, many of the civil services would have 1 supervisor to 3 or 4 clerical staff. This would not happen in the private sector as the management costs would be untenable. Instead of another report to confirm what we already know we need to see decisive action that would result in actual savings coupled with full accountability at the national as well as regional levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭WaltKowalski

The pay disparity is only one issue that the government needs to address. The bigger concern would be the inefficiencies that are inherent is a system that has no relation to performance reward. This is still a system whereby individuals can avail of promotions based solely upon length of service. Also look at the ratios of management to staff, many of the civil services would have 1 supervisor to 3 or 4 clerical staff. This would not happen in the private sector as the management costs would be untenable. Instead of another report to confirm what we already know we need to see decisive action that would result in actual savings coupled with full accountability at the national as well as regional levels.

You're right to a certain degree. But I do genuinely think the nature of the civil service is changing - and changing from within.
    Internal promotions (and there haven't been any for a while and won't be any for a long time) are merit based and there's a lot more external recruitment.
    Personally, I take pride in my job and I know I do a good job. I can say the same about most of those who work around me.
    It is very frustrating to see the waste that is inherit in the "system".

I think the present voluntary expulsion of senior staff will result in positive changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

P.S. This thread has helped me pass a very boring day - so thanks!!!

Why not get a more interesting job ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I pay the regular A rate of prsi so if I was to ever take maternity leave or when I retire, some of the payment I will receive is made up social welfare payments, which along with everyone else who pays prsi, i am entitled to.

post-95 recruits pay rate A PRSI and therefore are entitled to get the state contributory pension at age 66 like anyone else who pays it

the state pension will be reduced from the amount of their work pension, thereby balancing it out, they will not get one on top of the other

• Advertisement

I'm not at work today.
    I'm on annual leave. Do you begrudge me the statutory minimum annual leave too??!!!!
    If I was at work I wouldn't have the time or the means to go online.

Riskymove wrote: »
    post-95 recruits pay rate A PRSI and therefore are entitled to get the state contributory pension at age 66 like anyone else who pays it

the state pension will be reduced from the amount of their work pension, thereby balancing it out, they will not get one on top of the other

That's what I was trying to express. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

a little bit blunt jimmy considering walt has been honest and reasonable in his posts , dont mean to sound patronising walt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

This is still a system whereby individuals can avail of promotions based solely upon length of service. .
    Not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Not true.

since when has that mattered on this thread?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Riskymove wrote: »
    this ignores the fact that public sector wages have forgone increases to reflect their pension arrangments
    Foregone increases......... What are they??? I'll be thrilled to get to Christmas without a 3rd pay cut of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 mayonnaise

I think some areas of the public service are over paid, such as those who work in the tax offices & county buildings around the country.
    I don't understand how most of the older people in these posts get the pay they do? My friend worked in a tax office and she said that most of the older staff just read books all day long, and the younger ones who worked hard were the ones that got the chop when the public service had to lose staff.

Also in our area the public had to raise €1m euro to put a cancer unit on our local hospital because the government wouldnt do it, but right next door the county council are getting swanky new offices built because they're a bit cramped in their existing offices. Never mind the poor people who may be losing their lives next door in the hospital sleeping on trolleys.

any way thats my rant for the morning. I do however think that there are some professions within the public service that do work for their money and that is nurses. I'm not a nurse, but i think they work hard and they see and do things that would be beyond my ability.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

and dont forget those people in that office that are being moved (right next door) will get severace pay for the hassle they have to endure to move to the new building. usually about 2k

Advertisement