Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reliable Broadband package with high upload speed

• 21-09-2009 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

Hi , I'm looking for a reliable Broadband service with high upload speed (hoping to get 10mbs).
    I live in Swords (North Dublin Co), and I needed this bandwith for my website.
    I'm looking for the best possible service within 120 euro.
    I also must add that I live in a apartment, I saw that irishbroadband offer wireless broadband (breeze packages), but I didn't find more information on how it works.
    Do they have to install an antenna on my apartment?If yes where they will install it?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

10 mbits uplink means fibre or bonded ethernet or bonded dsl or bonded ethernet

The only players offering this are Smart / BT / Magnet and it will surely cost you .

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭spupazza

any idea about the costs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

No ISP will allow you to run a website from your home (or business) broadband connection. Dedicated hosting is very cheap anyway (cheaper than broadband), from a company like Blacknight or Hosting365.

jor el wrote: »
    No ISP will allow you to run a website from your home (or business) broadband connection. Dedicated hosting is very cheap anyway (cheaper than broadband), from a company like Blacknight or Hosting365.

Why they won't allow me? They do not mention as I'm aware that in the contract.In which way they will prevent that?
    I'm aware of web hosting service as Blacknight, but it would cost too much for the hardware resource I would need and the relative bandwith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

The T&C will have a line about not being allowed to run servers for any residential set up and most commercial as well.

At 10MB upload you're not going to have any luck at 120 EUR a month that a hosted service would not do better for you truth be told. You'd need to look at a 1:1 service with fixed IP and the whole set up around that (remember that cost for bandwidh is not straight line but goes down rapidly as speed increases and hence a web hotel can usually get a better price for a private person over all).

A quick check on Digiweb shows a dedicated 10:10 line at 1875 EUR a month as an example and you'll be looking in that general area for anything that requires reliable, low contention 10MB upload speed truth be told. That is commercial grade stuff and only companies really are interested so the prices are there after.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

spupazza wrote: »
    Why they won't allow me? They do not mention as I'm aware that in the contract.In which way they will prevent that?
    I'm aware of web hosting service as Blacknight, but it would cost too much for the hardware resource I would need and the relative bandwith

Hardware resource? They provide everything, and you pay about 40-50 euro a year, plus you get an actual URL, and not have to use an IP address (which might change unless you get a fixed IP, or use DynDNS or similar). Hosting companies will give you a lot more bandwidth than a home or business broadband ISP.

Anyway, running a website through your broadband connection is a very bad idea. The unreliability and lack of URL would make you look like an amateur, if this is for a business venture, and contention could make your upload speed a lot poorer than the 1Mbps you want.

Practically every ISP has a clause in the T&Cs that forbids running any server on the connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

definitely go for a hosting package somewhere, 100% uptime guarantees etc and no hassle for you and very very cheap compared to what you want to do. EVen heavy sites use hosting packages, i wouldn't dream of using my servers beside me at work to host our website, too risky and hassle compared to 100 euro a year hosting

Thanks to everybody for your kindness. I'll follow your advice.:p

Advertisement