Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox 360 repair

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭paul150

your right to stay clear from consolerepairs.ie, had a shocking experience with them, everyone AVOID!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Actually avoid GSM solutions google them if you don't believe me also I've dealt with Console Repairs loads of times without issue, they usually give a 3-6 month guarentee depending on the issue, Also that post you linked to was probably put up by a rival company of Console Repairs. Anyway if you don't want to deal with them I'd advise you to give Microsoft a call and get a quote from them to repair it, bear in mind that you'll pick up a 360 now for around 180 which more then likely be a Jasper Console (more reliable and less likely to get a 3ROD)

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

I agree with Snake. Ask Microsoft for a quote to repair first, then trade yours into Game and purchase an Arcade XBox which will have the Jasper chip.

I got the RROD for the second time, sent my xbox to Microsoft to repair and traded it in as soon as I got it back.

People buying them second hand know the risks and they are covered under the shops guarantee and then Microsofts 3 year warranty aswell.

BTW OP If you read the comments under the link for the complaints board, you will see that the guy who posted the complaint is actually GSM solutions, looks like console repairs did GSM's console repairs but stopped doing repairs for them, looks like it got nasty and that the gsm crowd have registered consolerepairs.ie very dodgy, as I said the real Console Repairs I have had dealings with on a number of occassions for PS3 laser replacement, xbox 360 drive replacement and broken screens on kids DS's and had no issues.

There's a place on Talbot street opposite Super Value that does repairs, not sure what they're like but thats all i can think of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭triv88

grahambo wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can get my console repaired?

I'm living on the north side of Dublin.

I think I have an issue with my CD Drive as it is often telling me it cannot read from the disc.

I do not want to user consolerepairs.ie as I have head TERRIBLE things about them:

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/terrible-experience-with-bray-console-repair-shop-c247492.html

GSM Solutions are in Dublin 1 anyone have any experience with these?

gsmsolutionsltd.com are so DODGY mate.The guy that resides behind that iron barred den,makes dellboy trotter look kosher.An utter scumbag with no regard for anyone,as exibited by that thread

• Registered Users Posts: 46 PuddinBum

Hi just stumbled across this thread and didnt want to double up on what has already been said.

My xbox got the three red lights about 6 months ago. I brought it down to console repairs and they fixed it, by putting a cooling fan inside, which sounds like a small aircraft is trying to land on the roof. It was fixed though and I was happy out.

However yesterday, my second day of fifa and the rings are back again. To be honest I want to drop kick the machine over my back wall. Is there any better solutions?

Will anyone take a noisy useless piece of equipment for a trade in or should i get another 6 months out of console repairs for 50 quid or whatever i paid.

Any input is much appreciated

I'd invest in a new arcade if i were you, your bound to get a jasper board now, 3 Red Rings will always come back, but it's up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

grahambo wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can get my console repaired?

I'm living on the north side of Dublin.

I think I have an issue with my CD Drive as it is often telling me it cannot read from the disc.

I do not want to user consolerepairs.ie as I have head TERRIBLE things about them:

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/terrible-experience-with-bray-console-repair-shop-c247492.html

GSM Solutions are in Dublin 1 anyone have any experience with these?

thats happening to me!!!

i got fifa and it was saying disc un readable, yet it was new, I left the game back thinking it was that, same thing happening it will let me play for a few min then freeze, I have to turn the console off as the xbox completely freezes.

PuddinBum wrote: »
    Hi just stumbled across this thread and didnt want to double up on what has already been said.

My xbox got the three red lights about 6 months ago. I brought it down to console repairs and they fixed it, by putting a cooling fan inside, which sounds like a small aircraft is trying to land on the roof. It was fixed though and I was happy out.

However yesterday, my second day of fifa and the rings are back again. To be honest I want to drop kick the machine over my back wall. Is there any better solutions?

Will anyone take a noisy useless piece of equipment for a trade in or should i get another 6 months out of console repairs for 50 quid or whatever i paid.

Brought the console back down to Console Repairs, they were very helpful and alot more understanding then i would of expected.

I wouldnt agree with what snake and pauls bad press, their just a little bitter with microsoft and need someone to point the finger at. Its microsofts fault the consoles are dodgy. CRI just do their best to get more out of them.

If your in the same situation as me Console repairs is the best and really only solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Im pretty surprised to hear CRI get as much bad press as this, I would have been keeping an eye on their "PR" for the last couple of years, as they would quite obviously be market leader in the console repairs business, and the I have to say the majority of press about them is in no way negative, infact they have a very good rep amongst the majority of their customers.

I cant say the same about GSM solutions, I have litterly not heard anyone say anything good about them. I was in contact with a user on here on boards who had a couple of DS' to fix, I couldnt do them at the time as I was in the middle of my final year exams. He said he was in a major panic for one of them so he said he'd give them a try. They were almost twice the price I was, and my price included return postage (they were way dearer than CRI too btw). He had a problem with it when he got it back too.

@ PuddinBum: when CRI repair xboxes from RROD they do a fan mod know as the "12v mod", its where they wire the fan to run as fast as it can all the time to try keep the xbox cooler. The problem with it is WAY too loud, in my opinion it makes the 360 almost unplayable.

@Nevaeh: where abouts are you based? Is your xbox old?

I wouldnt agree with what snake and pauls bad press, their just a little bitter with microsoft and need someone to point the finger at. Its microsofts fault the consoles are dodgy. CRI just do their best to get more out of them.

What are you on about? I never slagged off console repairs, I said I used them before without issue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭triv88

More dirty boxing by ****,but good comeback from console repairs ireland

http://www.419legal.org/scam-alerts/70013-scam-alert-bray-dublin-ireland-console-repair-shop.html

I forget to tell of my experience with **** as the op wanted to know.They charged be over a hundred quid to "repair" my xbox 360,even though there was infact no problems with it,i naaively thought 4 rings meant ring of death when in fact it only means cable was not inserted properly.**** charged be 100 quid to put a cable in correctly:o

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

BTW OP If you read the comments under the link for the complaints board, you will see that the guy who posted the complaint is actually GSM solutions, looks like console repairs did GSM's console repairs but stopped doing repairs for them, looks like it got nasty and that the gsm crowd have registered consolerepairs.ie very dodgy, as I said the real Console Repairs I have had dealings with on a number of occassions for PS3 laser replacement, xbox 360 drive replacement and broken screens on kids DS's and had no issues.

Just to clarify that consolerepairs.ie with an S are the original console repairs based in Bray.

GSM solutions registered **** without the S

Gamesnash are happy to recommend the original Bray based consolerepairs.ie :)

What are you on about? I never slagged off console repairs, I said I used them before without issue!

I fully apologise my fault. Got mixed up with the abbreviations

• Registered Users Posts: 43 redeye101

http://www.************.ie/about.html

Just be aware of the other names they operate under also. Caveat emptor :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭DY2011

Hahaha,cheers for that.That was some funny ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Definitly check out with MS first, might be able to sort it out for you over the phone.

At worst you will get a quote for the repair. I don't see why people deal with third party repair centres.

It is €75 online with MS to get an official repair, new one year warranty and 30 days Xbox live.

Why would you pay some third party to repair it, considering they give you a bandy little warranty. Old boss of mine paid €40 to get a repair done, got a 30 days warranty, 35 days after broke again : /

Have you tried the bread and butter to solve disc reading issues?
    • Clear system cache with no game in tray
    • Remove hard drive and test
    • Remove external hard drives/usb sticks/ memory cards
    • Install game to HD and try run

If its not happening 100% of the time, its probably not a hardware fault and jsut a dodgy system file that clearing the cache might resolve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

I'd say they modified the fan to run at 12v sounds just like a jet engine, it's great for cooling the internal components not so great on your ears. A real solution to the Red Ring of Death problem is to reball the GPU chip inside the Xbox with lead solder. OP do your research if you are going to a third party for repair, you will want to ensure they are repairing it with a good standard of equipment like a BGA Rework Station this problem can be temporarily fixed with a heatgun and some nuts and bolts I'm sure there are so many people offering a real "fix", just look for the longest warranties it's a good indication of the reliability of the repair

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

TheDoc wrote: »
    I don't see why people deal with third party repair centres.

They're your only choice when you've broken your warranty seal for whatever reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Consolepros

Fan mods are not needed if the console is repaired correctly, ms reflows the gpu to the board. And these systems last from 1-3 years.

Fan mods are I way of trying to prolong a poor repair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 rowangall2003

It's actually not that difficult to repair it yourself. This is a video I used to fix mine - Two step guide and very esay to follow - You also won't need any tools.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMnSaER6zO8&feature=player_embedded

Advertisement