Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway tower blocks

Options
  • 21-09-2009 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

Excuse the question, but I remember Galway having tower blocks like ballymun except smaller. Does anyone remember where these were and when they get knocked down?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

transylman wrote: »
    Excuse the question, but I remember Galway having tower blocks like ballymun except smaller. Does anyone remember where these were and when they get knocked down?
    They were in Rahoon and were knocked down about 5+ years ago IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

They were in Rahoon in the west of the city, they were demolished about ten years ago (not sure when exactly) and were replaced by some social/council housing estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm fairly sure there's a video in this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055386603

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭transylman

Thanks all. Way smaller than I remembered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

i knew their was flats for years thought id imagined it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

That was mad watching the video of the flats. I didn't realise how much into disrepair they had actually fallen.
    I grew up there from 1974 -1978 until we were housed in one of the new neighbouring housing estates being built. Back then they were a really nice place to live but it was obvious to see from the video that this was not the case in it's later years......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

My friend's cousin lived in the flats, she had a cool pad and we would go there to be bould and drink. Some of the flats were gorgeous and funky places, really looked after with cool people, others looked like sets from Mad Max tbh..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Rahoon was the area that had the flats and was like a "Ballymun petite" but I think they were only 4 or at most 6 storeys high so not really "tower blocks" by the international definition of the term lol. :D They were built in 1971-72 and were knocked around 2000.:D

Doesn't Salthill have a couple of privately developed "towers" of apartments now?

Galway is a very low rise, horizontal and spread out city. It could do with a couple of tall buildings IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Mervue still has a mini Ballymun, the Walter Macken flats , complete with celebrity murderer who went on the run in order to get pregnant to get off a murder rap.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭cowlove

I lived in Rahoon flats in 1986. I dont remember them being as bad as they are in the video but then again I was only 6 at the time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭CliffHuxtabel

I remember for some reason they were in the middle of demolishing them in november 1998

Advertisement