Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hijacked Today's the day for processing the licensing system.

Options
  • 21-09-2009 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭

As the thread Today's the day for processing the licensing system has gone Sooooooooooo............. off topic I'll start a new thread.

Talking to my FO last night

I am now officially in "The System"

And now the waiting starts yet again. I was told that it will take 2 weeks for the license to get printed and that's after you get the letter to pay your fees.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

clivej wrote: »
    I was told that it will take 2 weeks for the license to get printed and that's after you get the letter to pay your fees.

Is that 2 normal weeks or 2 Garda weeks = 3 to 12 months;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Got a call from the FO on Saturday night. Needed more details about security system in the house. I e-mailed him the details, and he rang me back saying he was imputting the details as we spoke. Never thought to ask him is that everything or is there still another consideration to be made in Dublin, but i'm assuming if there was a problem or refusal in my applications he would have given me a heads up.

I'm in the same boat as you clivej, waiting for letter to go to post office to pay the fees then get my licences (hopefully).
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭ranger4

ezridax wrote: »
    Got a call from the FO on Saturday night. Needed more details about security system in the house. I e-mailed him the details, and he rang me back saying he was imputting the details as we spoke. Never thought to ask him is that everything or is there still another consideration to be made in Dublin, but i'm assuming if there was a problem or refusal in my applications he would have given me a heads up.

I'm in the same boat as you clivej, waiting for letter to go to post office to pay the fees then get my licences (hopefully).

Handed mine in last week, out of intreast did you guys recieve a reciept when you submitted your forms.

No. Didn't receive a receipt automatically but i did ask for one. Got a letter on Garda headed paper with time, date and receiving officer. If you don't get one ask for one. Good to have.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

i was just talking to the station in enniscorthy, they will not take a application until mid oct as there not set up to start processing them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

jw is enniscorthy a PULSE-enabled garda station?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Gortglas

clivej wrote: »
    As the thread Today's the day for processing the licensing system has gone Sooooooooooo............. off topic I'll start a new thread.

Talking to my FO last night

I am now officially in "The System"

And now the waiting starts yet again. I was told that it will take 2 weeks for the license to get printed and that's after you get the letter to pay your fees.

Good to know Clive.

I am in the same station as you and am waiting since late April also, she said that mine and the other lad waiting since April would be processed first (presume its you), so must ring this evening to double check all is in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

finally some good news.

i handed in my application for a new shotgun a week and a half ago. hope to have it for Nov 1st.

Sparks wrote: »
    jw is enniscorthy a PULSE-enabled garda station?

that i could not tell you.

it would have a very large amount of firearms going through the system and all the local stations would answer to it

Gortglas wrote: »
    Good to know Clive.

I am in the same station as you and am waiting since late April also, she said that mine and the other lad waiting since April would be processed first (presume its you), so must ring this evening to double check all is in order.

april . that would not come into it as its a hole new application, so your starting all over again.

you never had a licence for the firearm in question so your not in the system,no matter what they tell you.

• Advertisement

I'm not very tech savvy so was wondering how this Pulse system would work. I would think like "boards" a station would log onto a/the Garda website enter the station "ID" and processing officers "ID". Enter the details and it would be keep on some sort of central server. (Sorry if the lingo is wrong). Does it work like this or does antone know.

As said before i'm no Bill Gates or to put it in the immortal words of Homer Simpson ".. to start press any key, okay where's the ANY key":D

jwshooter wrote: »
    april . that would not come into it as its a hole new application, so your starting all over again.

you never had a licence for the firearm in question so your not in the system,no matter what they tell you.

It is a new gun that I bought in April and there were a few issues over the summer like the old form vanishing, bill os sale being incorrect etc, when I eventually got all the details together, it sat for a long time in the station as there was a new super to be appointed and when he finally started it was too late as they were then holding out for the new FAC system. Had my forms completed and handed in straight away and FO assured me that mine would be the first passed over the supers desk and entered into the system.

Why do you say that I am not in the system, do you know something that I don't.

Hopeful of having licence within two weeks, or am I being ridiculously over-optimistic ?

If you're application was submitted under the new format (FCA1) then there is no reason (unless the station is not prepared yet) that your application(s) won't be processed straight away. If they are being done then you ARE in the new system. Just my take from what you've said.

Just from JW's reply, I got a feeling there was something amiss with the new system and there was nobdy in the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Once processed you have to wait until a super or chief super (or their designate) is ready to look at it

Assuming that not too many shotguns got given the October 31st date it won't be too bad (only a few hundred pistols nationwide)

but, if it is, as it should have been, and if 1/6th of the 250,000 licenses have to be processed in the next month then some supers will be busier than other supers and will simply not be able to process those 42,000 applications before the 31st of next month (at a rate of almost 7000 applications per working day)

And this assuming they maintain that workload, every working day for the next six months - no problem to them.

B'Man

Just from JW's reply, I got a feeling there was something amiss with the new system and there was nobdy in the system.

Not nobody. Both myself any clivej have been told by our FOs that we are now entered onto the system. I'm sure other lads are aswell, but whether they know or not or post here that they are or not is another issue.
    Originally Posted by Bananaman

.......if 1/6th of the 250,000 licenses have to be processed in the next month then some supers will be busier than other supers and will simply not be able to process those 42,000 applications before the 31st of next month (at a rate of almost 7000 applications per working day)

I'm assuming/hoping that Super and Chief supers have been assessing applications and granting decisions for the last few weeks in anticipation of the new system going live, so as to reduce the workload and not have so many application to "rush through".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭pedroeibar

Bananaman wrote: »
    ......... if 1/6th of the 250,000 licenses have to be processed in the next month then some supers will be busier than other supers and will simply not be able to process those 42,000 applications before the 31st of next month (at a rate of almost 7000 applications per working day)....
    B'Man

Sums, gentlemen sums. ;) With 30 working days that means 1,400 per working day.
    Still impossibile, though.
    42,000 licenses at 5 minutes each to browse & sign = 3,500 hours or 500 working days or two years allowing for holidays and sick days!:eek:
    P.
    Not holding his breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

if 1/6th of the 250,000 licenses have to be processed in the next month then some supers will be busier than other supers and will simply not be able to process those 42,000 applications before the 31st of next month (at a rate of almost 7000 applications per working day)B'Man
    pedroeibar wrote: »
    Sums, gentlemen sums. ;) With 30 working days that means 1,400 per working day.

Yes, sums indeed! :)

For a start, the extensions spread licensing out over nine months and not six so I make it 232,000 licenses / 9 months = 25,778 a month if perfectly evenly spread.

Now, allowing 22 working days a month that's about 1,171 each working day or 45 applications per county. It's possible though breath holding is indeed inadvisable. ;). It nearly always is.

By the way, the two of ye should be working on the NAMA stuff the way ye crunched those numbers. Oh, maybe you are ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Good to know Clive.

As with you I put in an application on 1st April (what a fool I was to think it would all go well). The FO said I was first as well but then she has another body in with her helping out.
    And YES the system is live and accepting data. So we should hear by next week to make our payments.
    I had to complete the new Form but the Super had already granted the permission for the 308 so it was a just a matter to input the data.

ezridax wrote: »
    I'm not very tech savvy so was wondering how this Pulse system would work. I would think like "boards" a station would log onto a/the Garda website enter the station "ID" and processing officers "ID". Enter the details and it would be keep on some sort of central server. (Sorry if the lingo is wrong). Does it work like this or does antone know.

As said before i'm no Bill Gates or to put it in the immortal words of Homer Simpson ".. to start press any key, okay where's the ANY key":D

It's just a database system that will hold all the data of license holders.

Not true NOW anyway it's all systems go :cool:

BUT as with any new application it's goes up to the Super first to get the nod or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

By the way, the two of ye should be working on the NAMA stuff the way ye crunched those numbers.
    :D

Dept. of Homeland Sums.

This is the 21st September - applications started to be input into the system this week.
    That leaves a total of 6 weeks = 30 working days before 31st October.

I was working on a rough number of ~250,000 licenses.

There are 9 months left in the extensions so that leaves an average of
    ~28,000 applications per month

as you said that is an average of over 1,000 per county which will require more that 33 license applications a day to be covered by each super - this month.

Every other month has only ~20 working days which makes for ~50 applictions a day to be processed by each super.

Chuck in some holidays, Christmas, Easter, Paddys Day, a referendum, an election, some promotions, a few political nudges and it'll go on the back burner, especially in areas where there are a lot of licenses.

B'Man

• Advertisement

Every other month has only ~20 working days which makes for ~50 applictions a day to be processed by each super.B'Man

Now, that's miles better - clearly set out your assumptions. :)

But isn't there more than one Super per county?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I was talking to a guy on Sunday who told me he got an Extention to his extention letter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

BornToKill wrote: »
    Now, that's miles better - clearly set out your assumptions. :)

But isn't there more than one Super per county?
    109 in total that I can figure plus another 27 Chief Supers.

That's working on Districts and Divisions, the assumption being that each district has only one Super who will approve applications.

The average therefore (including Chief Supers who will be doing approximately 10% of applications) is 5 per county, which gives them 10 a day to do going on Bananaman's figures.

rrpc wrote: »
    including Chief Super's who will be doing approximately 10% of applications

D'you reckon it'll be 10%? That's higher than I would have thought.

BornToKill wrote: »
    D'you reckon it'll be 10%? That's higher than I would have thought.
    That's a very rough estimate by me ;). The first tranch being almost exclusively restricted and being 1/9th of the total gives me approximately 10% :D.

But as we've discovered recently, there are some firearms that have turned out to be restricted despite their best efforts to be humble .22 rifles ;)

Here's how I break it down.
    • Centre fire pistols
    • Other pistols not on *the list*
    • .22 semi auto rifles with more than 10 rounds and bullpups
    • .22 rifles with more than 10 round capacity :eek:
    • Underlever rifles used in NASRPC gallery rifle competition.
    • Rifles > .308 calibre
    • Scary looking shotguns with dangerously detachable and folding bits.
    • Pump (or any) shotguns with > 3 round capacity
    • Tacticool stuff that looks 'dangerous'
    • Semi-auto centre fire rifles

Should be a fair few in that lot :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭iwsf

talked to the FO yesterday , licenses are being entered into the new system at the moment so the "system" must be up and running. Fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

That's a very rough estimate by me ;). The first tranch being almost exclusively restricted and being 1/9th of the total gives me approximately 10% :D.

But as we've discovered recently, there are some firearms that have turned out to be restricted despite their best efforts to be humble .22 rifles ;)

Here's how I break it down.
    • Centre fire pistols
    • Other pistols not on *the list*
    • .22 semi auto rifles with more than 10 rounds and bullpups
    • .22 rifles with more than 10 round capacity :eek:
    • Underlever rifles used in NASRPC gallery rifle competition.
    • Rifles >.308 calibre
    • Semi-auto shotguns
    • Pump shotguns with > 3 round capacity
    • Tacticool stuff that looks 'dangerous'

Should be a fair few in that lot :D
    WTF?
    Have I missed something HUGE somewhere, or when did semi-auto shotguns get on the restricted list?
    I thought they were fine unless they went over the 3 round limit or looked scary?

Anecdotal evidence (talking to people) would seem to indicate that an awful lot of people got the shortest possible extension (to 31st October), irrespective of whether their firearm was 'Restricted' or not.
    The same anecdotal evidence would seem to indicate that the possession of one potentially Restricted firearm triggered a 31st October extension for all firearms under the same Pulse number.
    In my case, I have two Pulse numbers for some reason.
    My 9mm pistol is obviously Restricted, but all my other firearms under the same Pulse number also got the short extension, in spite of them being obviously non-Restricted.
    My other Pulse number covers two shotguns (an O/U and a semi-auto), and they got extended to March 2010.

I suspect that a disproportionate number of non-Restricted firearms wound up with the short extension, giving rise to the issuing of revised extensions as we've seen posters mention here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭pedroeibar

Once processed you have to wait until a super or chief super (or their designate) is ready to look at it

Assuming that not too many shotguns got given the October 31st date it won't be too bad (only a few hundred pistols nationwide)
    B'Man

Super 1: Howrya.
    Super 2 Howrya Mick.

Super 1: Did you look after yer man?
    Super 2: Him? Ya, effer. Got no thanks for it, but ya know what has to be done for Them.

Super 1: Yeah, the’re all the same. I’ll owe ya one.
    Super 2: No problem. Never know when I could need the same.

Super 1 Lissen, while I’m on ta ya, what about all this paper $hite on them guns?
    Super 2 Jaysus, don’t talk to me. I can hardly get in the door. Four stacks a yard high on the floor. The young wan I have here keeps putting them on me desk saying the’re urgent. Urgent, like, as if I’d F all else to do.

Super 1: F that. Put them on the winda cill, safer there. They had a young b@ll@x in here for questioning last night and he kicked my pile, sent them everywhere, photos, sheets, everything. Had his mammy and a solicitor with him so the lads weren’t able to give him a dig.
    Super 2: Jaysus. I know the type. What’ll you do?

Super 1: With the papers? Refuse them as incomplete. Not my fault if stuff isn’t stapled together.
    Super 2: Good one! I’ve given mine to the desk sergeant, d’oul fella I’ve here, you know the one waitin for his pension?

Super 1: Him? He’s as slow as a wet week! I was thinking about doing something similar, but I was advised that I couldn’t, had to sign them meself. Safer, too. Imaging being up at a Tribunal being asked by Mr. Pompous Wiggy why you allowed a nutter be given a lethal weapon.
    Super 2: Ya. Thing is, we’ve got three months, so no worries until January. My fella will check them and I’ll sign them all then.

Super 1: Yer man they call NAMA, the fella who’s there, does nothing and nobody knows what he’s on about? Him? You said three months? January? Great. Loadza time.
    Super 2: Yeah. Loadza time. I’d better go, I’m in court tomorrow for three days, then after the polling I’m on leave and after that I’m in Dublin to make a case to replace the three cars that got shagged. Then I suppose with Christmas coming all the $hite about the drunk driving will start. Ye’d think them boys in Dublin would have some idea about the real world.

Super 1: As shur you’re right. Overtime ban me arse.
    Super 2: OK Mick, see ya.

Rovi wrote: »
    WTF?
    Have I missed something HUGE somewhere, or when did semi-auto shotguns get on the restricted list?
    I thought they were fine unless they went over the 3 round limit or looked scary?
    My bad Rovi, well spotted :o, should have been scary looking shotguns with folding/detachable bits. Which I've now changed.
    Anecdotal evidence (talking to people) would seem to indicate that an awful lot of people got the shortest possible extension (to 31st October), irrespective of whether their firearm was 'Restricted' or not.
    The same anecdotal evidence would seem to indicate that the possession of one potentially Restricted firearm triggered a 31st October extension for all firearms under the same Pulse number.
    Me being one of those anecdotes ;)
    In my case, I have two Pulse numbers for some reason.
    So have I; there's a coincidence. I suspect (in my case) that it's because I lived simultaneously in two jurisdictions for a while and had certs in both.
    I suspect that a disproportionate number of non-Restricted firearms wound up with the short extension, giving rise to the issuing of revised extensions as we've seen posters mention here.
    Yup. I'd still estimate that there will be close enough to the 10% mark in restricted stuff based on my (obviously flawed ;)) list above.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

My bad Rovi, well spotted :o, should have been scary looking shotguns with folding/detachable bits. Which I've now changed.
    No bother.
    You gave me a fright though, and had me rummaging through the Acts, Statutory Instruments, and Guidelines. :D

Advertisement