Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public sector pay: the wrong debate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Wiley do you know any of the proposals that Sinn Fein put forward?

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Wiley1

Difference is only that private sector workers didn’t demand to share pain their colleagues from public sector, while public servants wants private sector to suffer more, because they are in trouble.
    PS I am not considering banks staff as part of private sector, because they are combining worse of both sectors and cost to taxpayers more.

That's exactly what did happen, private sector demanding a thier pound of flesh from the PS. What planet were you on the last year?

Sure leave out the banks from private sector, HOW?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Wiley1 wrote: »
    Sinn Fein had a set of proposals that would have saved the government 7billion and left people on lower/social welfare money alone but FF wouldn't entertain anything only their look after number policy
    Yeah but you need to bear in mind that SF have an agenda to appeal to people the lower/social welfare money as it's where their core voters come from.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Not everybody in the private sector got big bonuses and big pay packets, in much the same way that not everybody in the public sector are idle lazy sh1ts.

Agreed, but I have seen my LA lose a 3rd of it's staff, fair enough they were contract but they were still PAYE, PRSI payers and some of them had been here up to 5 years. So massive job cuts happened here too.

Anyway that's off the point, the point is exactly the one you have just made, you can't generalise but that didn't stop the generalisation when it came to the pay cuts? So we can't generalise but the rulers can...Hmmmm, I'm perplexed...

Yeah but you need to bear in mind that SF have an agenda to appeal to people the lower/social welfare money as it's where their core voters come from.

Exactly, as do all parties, but they look to grass roots, not developers, not bankers but every day Joe's. i.e the people.

• Advertisement

I'll find them and get them posted....;)

Nakatomi wrote: »
    The costs of doing bussiness in Ireland is too much, now there have been reductions in public service costs , I will expect the government will try to reduce other costs such as ESB and post. I would expect further drives to reduce private sector pay in the near future. Especially when costs are reducing so much. ( I don't think the 5%cut will hurt the public service as much as made out. The elephant in the room however is mortgage repayments, if interest rates rise ( as theyare predicted to do)I would expect see major problems. In the meantime we have to grin and bear it - further cuts in pay for all parts of society will be needed.

Good point, we haven't seen the end of cuts yet, mortgage interest rates rising will bring more fun to this comical window in time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

As I said before, the public sector jobs were available and posted every week but some folks didn't want to work for the poor relation, then they lose their 100k job and start demanding retribution from the lads that did take up the public sector employment.

I have nothing but gratitude that i'm working and i totally understand and empathise with people on the dole, coming out of a home with 7 people of employable age I am the only one working, I know the story this christmas.

I'm not going to justify the fact that I have a job. I worked hard to get here and didn't get greedy and go for the bonus's and big private sector pay, but still have to foot the bill for something I can't control. B*lls to that.

Between, government, bankers and developers you and I are bothing feeling the pinch. Yet you still have loyalty to them calling for public sector pay cuts. If your own words "FFS cop on".

evidence from the many threads on boards suggest the line that no one wanted a job in the public sector during the boom is nothing more than recycled union rhetoric , as for your comment about how you could have earned big bucks in the private sector , where exactly would you have made this mega mullah

That's exactly what did happen, private sector demanding a thier pound of flesh from the PS. What planet were you on the last year?

private sector workers had a lot at stake when it came to enforcing public sector pay cuts , had cowen had his way and the issue was fudged , it would have resulted in increased taxes , if you work in the public sector , you have to expect that those on the private sector will take an interest in your salary , especially when its the highest in the eu

Exactly, as do all parties, but they look to grass roots, not developers, not bankers but every day Joe's. i.e the people.

trust me , if sinn fein were in power , everyone would be earning a lot less

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Banks are regulated by the public sector for one thing, what the hell were you lot up to :pac:

Its silly to refer to the banks when talking about the entire private sector because they are a tiny portion of it more than anything else.

Besides they'll be nationalised soon enough more than likely. Will we say the whole public sector is like the banks then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 timmmy

thebman wrote: »
    Banks are regulated by the public sector for one thing, what the hell were you lot up to

Its silly to refer to the banking regulators when talking about the entire public sector because they are a tiny portion of it more than anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Shea O'Meara

Banks are regulated by the public sector for one thing, what the hell were you lot up to :pac:

Indeed,
    One could also say, look at the state of the government, what the hell were you lot thinking!!!
    As last I checked regulators are appointed by the government, not the dude gives you your library books:)

timmmy wrote: »
    Its silly to refer to the banking regulators when talking about the entire public sector because they are a tiny portion of it more than anything else.

difference is you dont hear private sector workerd linking nurses or guards with the financial regulator , you hear us complain they are over paid but thats as far as it goes , i hear a lot of public sector workers on the other hand claim the rescession is the fault of the private sector , this broad brush statement finds burger flippers in mcdonalds or checkout personal in tesco as guilty as the top brass in the banks , guilt by association or so to speak

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

irish_bob wrote: »
    difference is you dont hear private sector workerd linking nurses or guards with the financial regulator ...

I think you have a hearing problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I'll find them and get them posted....;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63035033

I was quite impressed with them, not everything could have been implemented as is, and some numbers could've been moved up/down (ie Senators pay) but this combined with the union proposals for public sector reform would have been a very different animal to the unimaginative FF budget and misdeeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Shea O'Meara

difference is you dont hear private sector workerd linking nurses or guards with the financial regulator , you hear us complain they are over paid but thats as far as it goes , i hear a lot of public sector workers on the other hand claim the rescession is the fault of the private sector , this broad brush statement finds burger flippers in mcdonalds or checkout personal in tesco as guilty as the top brass in the banks , guilt by association or so to speak

...or a Librarian, road sweeper as the top brass in the Government?

You've gone full circle. If you agree with what you posted above then you can't make broad brush statements about the Public sector anymore.
    ...one can but dream:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Wow!!...just Wow!!

you never fail to amaze Bob

evidence from the many threads on boards suggest the line that no one wanted a job in the public sector during the boom is nothing more than recycled union rhetoric , as for your comment about how you could have earned big bucks in the private sector , where exactly would you have made this mega mullah

IT Consulting ...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63035033

I was quite impressed with them, not everything could have been implemented as is, and some numbers could've been moved up/down (ie Senators pay) but this combined with the union proposals for public sector reform would have been a very different animal to the unimaginative FF budget and misdeeds.

Thanks for this Brian.

• Advertisement

timmmy wrote: »

Thanks Timmmy, saved me the long winded response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

IT Consulting ...

What's IT consulting?
    If your talking about contracting your IT skills, unless you have something truly different and are really good at it, your only talking 200-300 a day.

You do know that the bubble in IT burst in 99/2000 and has not really recovered to the levels seen then?

MaceFace wrote: »
    What's IT consulting?
    If your talking about contracting your IT skills, unless you have something truly different and are really good at it, your only talking 200-300 a day.

You do know that the bubble in IT burst in 99/2000 and has not really recovered to the levels seen then?

Are you kidding, Is 200-300 not good money? No wonder you're so unhappy with what other people earn if that's the kind of money you expect to earn.

Unix, Linux, SQL,VM ware, would all fetch that sort of money and more when the times were good.

Anyway, is this forum just about arguing every single point made by anyone. It's pointless talking about it now, The cuts are in.

The reason why alcohol was cut was to try and stop people heading north to by their drink. It wasn’t to try and placate the plebs, it was done to stop the economy loosing money to the north.

So if they wanted to stop losing money across the border why didn't they reduce the cost of fuel, cigarettes, food and all the rest of the consumables we head North for. Bringing the VAT rate back that tiny bit was a feeble effort. They are insulting us even more every day and you're letting them, I have heard backroom talk from councillors and elected members and believe me they know that they are pulling the wool, Oh say nothing about that shhhhsshhhh....I'm telling you man, I have seen the craic with my own 2 eyes....

Lining their own pockets, bring down the price of drink, f*ck, Ar*e Drink...that's the image we will have across Europe...Drunken stupid Irish...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭pah

So if they wanted to stop losing money across the border why didn't they reduce the cost of fuel, cigarettes, food and all the rest of the consumables we head North for. Bringing the VAT rate back that tiny bit was a feeble effort. They are insulting us even more every day and you're letting them, I have heard backroom talk from councillors and elected members and believe me they know that they are pulling the wool, Oh say nothing about that shhhhsshhhh....I'm telling you man, I have seen the craic with my own 2 eyes....

Lining their own pockets, bring down the price of drink, f*ck, Ar*e Drink...that's the image we will have across Europe...Drunken stupid Irish...

Agreed. They're taking the piss with the 0.5% VAT cut. If it's mostly the Public Finances are the problem and the cuts to stabilise that for this year have been made then why not make a significant temporary reduction??

Absolutely every single thing you can think of is cheaper in North/UK. Going to buy our 4th car in 5 years from UK in New Year. (unfortunate flooding write off) will fill the **** out of the boot and rear seats before coming home.

pah wrote: »
    Agreed. They're taking the piss with the 0.5% VAT cut. If it's mostly the Public Finances are the problem and the cuts to stabilise that for this year have been made then why not make a significant temporary reduction??

Absolutely every single thing you can think of is cheaper in North/UK. Going to buy our 4th car in 5 years from UK in New Year. (unfortunate flooding write off) will fill the **** out of the boot and rear seats before coming home.

There you have it, I have no problem taking pay cuts if services like insurance transpot costs, mortgages and basic cost of living is reduced too.

I pay €1250 insurance on a 2004 van, I'm driving 12 years....Incredible, I got a quote from an English insurance company from my grandfathers address and it was £268, if the government can cut costs and instate some actual cost savings for every day Joe then you can pay me €250 pw and I'll be quite happy, everything in this country is massively inflated, I can't really blame retailers because after tax and transport costs they don't benefit f*** all for all thier efforts....

Can we ever go back to having real value on our money??? If so i'd be all up for it, remember the old blue 20 punt, it was worth 3 €50 notes in value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Are you kidding, Is 200-300 not good money? No wonder you're so unhappy with what other people earn if that's the kind of money you expect to earn.

Unix, Linux, SQL,VM ware, would all fetch that sort of money and more when the times were good.

Anyway, is this forum just about arguing every single point made by anyone. It's pointless talking about it now, The cuts are in.

SQL on your cv will not get you that money. Neither will any of the above without the skills and experience to back it up.

contracting isn't easy to get into, you need to have slogged it out and have a track record of being good unless you manage to find a company that doesn't do their homework.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Simple thing is that couples were going across the border because the guy wanted to get cheap beer. Remove the guys 'main' interest and you have girls trying to coerce the guy.

Add to this that it now costs more, in terms of fuel and some people (not along the border) will not find it as attractive to do the weekly shop there

SQL on your cv will not get you that money. Neither will any of the above without the skills and experience to back it up.

contracting isn't easy to get into, you need to have slogged it out and have a track record of being good unless you manage to find a company that doesn't do their homework.

You'd be surprised, But you know best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭pah

Simple thing is that couples were going across the border because the guy wanted to get cheap beer. Remove the guys 'main' interest and you have girls trying to coerce the guy.

Add to this that it now costs more, in terms of fuel and some people (not along the border) will not find it as attractive to do the weekly shop there

maybe but 0.5% doesn't put much of a dent in the price v's sterling

Advertisement