Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

three top up- why so crap?

• 21-09-2009 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,139 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    You can top up Three phones at 3Stores throughout Ireland and anywhere else Top-up vouchers are sold.

why can't you just top up online or over the phone like with other providers?Is it cheaper for three this way? It's very unuser friendly.....:mad:

I asked three but the lady I spoke to wasn't able to give a real answer...

Cheers,
    patrick.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

dinneenp wrote: »
    Is it cheaper for three this way? I

Pretty much yeah. You can top up with a credit card over the phone but they don't like doing it. You can use a 3V card to top up online too

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

Setting up an online payment system requires support in the organizations IT systems and a company needs considerable resources to implement that. Three outsources most of its organization (I know their network is handled by Ericsson), so they probably don't have the resources/don't care to setup a system to do any other kind of top up. Three may be cheap, but as they say: you get what you pay for...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Another reason why i moved back to vodafone. I ran out of credit abroad with three, couldn't top up because it costs money to ring to topup. Couldn't top up online.

Had to send my dad the voucher number and get him to ring three and do it.

Also when you go to topup, the machine tells you that you can check your credit online, on your phone and all this other bs you don't want to hear every single time. Used to do my fcuking head in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

blaz wrote: »
    (I know their network is handled by Ericsson)

Is it not handled by BT?

http://unified.cbronline.com/news/bt_wins_network_expansion_deal_from_3_ireland

edit: and before that it was BT, Nokia, NEC and Siemens Mobile

http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/Feb2007/4291.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

On line top up is due to be launched very soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

How soon? Source?

Random wrote: »
    How soon? Source?
    I know someone who works in their head office (I know thats easy to say but it's true). As far as I know it was due to be launched a couple of weeks ago but it didn't happen (never asked why so I don't know), but he told me it's being launched soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Is it not handled by BT?

http://unified.cbronline.com/news/bt_wins_network_expansion_deal_from_3_ireland

edit: and before that it was BT, Nokia, NEC and Siemens Mobile

http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/Feb2007/4291.htm

It's probably all of them at the same time :) Can't go into details, but I can tell you that at least some of their IP networking stuff is handled by Ericsson in the UK (first hand experience).

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

Any news on online top-ups?

Also, anybody knows what topup amount gets the best free credit? I remember when I topped up by EUR30, I got some extre free credit, not sure how much exactly, maybe a fiver.

I know old Meteor plans always give extra free credit and the best amount for a single topup is EUR30 as it gives EUR6 (20%) free credit.

Vodafone also gives either 10% or 20% free for topups starting from EUR20.

What about 3??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

they stopped the bonus credits about half year ago. Now you only get extra credit if you upgrade. And it can only be used for calls and sms.

• Advertisement

Thanks, Flodis. I see they're really mean:( Anyway, their mobile Internet option is still the best value so I'll use it even without freebies.

Hi,
    Topped up by EUR 10 today and now it shows that I have 100MB broadband for 1 month. I didn't buy anything, I just topped up.The amount stays correct (the old one + 10) but I also got this strange add-on. Is it supposed to be so? Does it mean that after topup instead of some bonus in Euro they give some features/add-ons for free?
    Cheers:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

none wrote: »
    Hi,
    Topped up by EUR 10 today and now it shows that I have 100MB broadband for 1 month. I didn't buy anything, I just topped up.The amount stays correct (the old one + 10) but I also got this strange add-on. Is it supposed to be so? Does it mean that after topup instead of some bonus in Euro they give some features/add-ons for free?
    Cheers:)

Did you get a text about it? Might be one of the freebies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

people top up their phones online? i thought that was just another feature nobody used/only if they were very stuck. always much easier to run to de shop and pick up a Wispa Gold on the way

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

Dankoozy wrote: »
    people top up their phones online? i thought that was just another feature nobody used/only if they were very stuck. always much easier to run to de shop and pick up a Wispa Gold on the way

I moved to 3 from Meteor (after being with them for over 7 years) and one of the things I really miss is being able to text a number with how much I want to top up and it's added automatically, taken from your laser card. None of this running to the shop lark.

Elessar wrote: »
    I moved to 3 from Meteor (after being with them for over 7 years) and one of the things I really miss is being able to text a number with how much I want to top up and it's added automatically, taken from your laser card. None of this running to the shop lark.

but they cant text you a wispa gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Setting up an online payment system requires support in the organizations IT systems and a company needs considerable resources to implement that.

Nonsense. Lots of small companies have outsourced the payments to the likes of Realex. Vodafone do, why not Three?

ardmacha wrote: »
    Nonsense. Lots of small companies have outsourced the payments to the likes of Realex. Vodafone do, why not Three?

because they will get ripped off. they could outsource it to paypal and get ripped off even more

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

because they will get ripped off. they could outsource it to paypal and get ripped off even more

eh?

Davy wrote: »
    Did you get a text about it? Might be one of the freebies

Well, the SIM was in the modem and the computer was off so I don't know if they sent anything when I topped up. When I switched on the computer and got online, nothing came in first. Then, after a while, there was a 3Alert notifying me that my broadband credit is low and I need to topup. Quite strange considering that I just got a new 100MB allowance (freebie) several hours ago. Also, my credit wasn't low, neither new one (which just started) not the previous one (which expired with more than 800MB unused). Anyway, the main thing is that this unexpected 100MB add-on does work and is free. I used about 7MB this evening so now it shows 93MB left which indicates that it's working and since my balance is left intact - it's free. There are still good things from Three :D

p.s. And you can't still topup online with Three, I asked in store. So Wispa Gold in de shop is the way to go :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

When I switched to 3 I got 100MB data free the first time I topped up.

New 3pay top up rewards starting next week

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

What kind of rewards? Do you mean free credit or free calls and text?

Well, second time I topped up by a tenner they gave me some crap bonus (calls & texts) but no Internet allowance :mad: I don't know if it's a new permanent rule about what you get after the topup or it just depends on their mood...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,239 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

none wrote: »
    Well, second time I topped up by a tenner they gave me some crap bonus (calls & texts) but no Internet allowance :mad: I don't know if it's a new permanent rule about what you get after the topup or it just depends on their mood...

top up by a tenner and they give you 30 free texts and 30 free weekend minutes, top up by 20 euro and you get 300 texts and 200 weekend minutes to any network. It's not a once off you get that every time you top up.

Yes, that might be grand for people who use it in a phone but in my case it's in a modem so no use of talk/text allowance. I'd love to better get at least 100MB of free Internet as before :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10 altopal

For anyone who finds this thread from Google, Three have finally made it possible to top up online through the 'My3' website. See the first question here:

http://www.three.ie/support/topping-up.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

altopal wrote: »
    For anyone who finds this thread from Google, Three have finally made it possible to top up online through the 'My3' website. See the first question here:

http://www.three.ie/support/topping-up.htm

Has anyone had any success with this? It won't register my laser card, telling me to contact my bank. I've been onto the bank and there's nothing wrong with the card, three haven't attempted anything on it. It still won't be accepted?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Elessar wrote: »
    Has anyone had any success with this? It won't register my laser card, telling me to contact my bank. I've been onto the bank and there's nothing wrong with the card, three haven't attempted anything on it. It still won't be accepted?

Yep same here. both laser and visa return the same error. I mean its about time they had online topup and have auto topups is a good idea too if only they can get it working!

• Advertisement
Advertisement