Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting up wall cabinets

Options
  • 21-09-2009 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭

I'm in the final stages of putting in my new kitchen but I've run into a little problem. I have cavity walls with plasterboard put up by dot and dab. The gap between the wall and the plasterboard is 80mm.

What's the best fixture for putting up the wall cabinets? I purchased 100mm hammer in fixtures but the dissapeared with the gap.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

DarrenG wrote: »
    I'm in the final stages of putting in my new kitchen but I've run into a little problem. I have cavity walls with plasterboard put up by dot and dab. The gap between the wall and the plasterboard is 80mm.

What's the best fixture for putting up the wall cabinets? I purchased 100mm hammer in fixtures but the dissapeared with the gap.

80mm is a massive gap, are you sure its dot and dab???

Sounds like their is stud work in there... if you can screw into the studs do it, or else cut away some of the plaster board and put up wood which you can screw the cabinets into.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

If you cant find any useable studs, try and find 150-200mm M12 or M14 PROJECTING fixings.

Get a deep reach socket and fix them to the concrete so approx 25mm stick out of the plasterboard, then thread another nut onto it (with washer) so its flush with the plasterboard, then fix the cabinetto the tip of the bolt with yet another nut. This will stop the cabinet pulling the plasterboard towards the concrete

Expensive, but they need to be strong to take the sheer weight.

p4756928_x.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Investigated this further yesterday evening. There is stud work behind the plasterboard so I'll cut out some of it and put in some extra studs to support the wall cabinets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Some cabinets have a "rail" type mountings system, which can be screwed into the stud work exactly where the studs are.

But other cabinets need to be screwed in at specific locations, for these i would just cut out a narrow strip of plaster board going horizontal and put in a strip of timer screwed into each of the studs...

Advertisement