Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Budget Graphics card ??

Options
  • 21-09-2009 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm upgrading to the new Athlon X4 620. Going with AM3 MB + DDR3.

I don't really play any games (kids do occasionally) but I do want to run 2 monitors for work.

Which of these budgets cards would be best

HD 4350 DDR2 1024MB

HD 4550 DDR3 512MB

Basically do I want more ram or faster ram ?????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Faster ram really.
    Unless you're gaming at 1920x1200 the 1gb of ram is a waste of time.

the 4450 will be better for you and for the kids gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Ehhhh the 4350 is a much better card than the 4550!(there is however a difference in price too!)

Just also a question to what you'll actually be doing on your pc the Athlon x 4 are good for some things and not so good for others...
    AM3 is a good option if you figure you may be upgrading within the next year and a half... Other wise the price to performance gain getting ddr3 ram is not quite worth it(depends on what you're doing again)

So write back to us and tell us what you're actually gonna use the pc for, what age the kids are and what kind of games and maybe even the resolution of you monitor

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

eeehhhhh you're talking complete crap...

ram clock on the 4350 is 1000mhz whereas the 4550 runs at 1600mhz.
    Apart from the onboard ram there's no other different.
    Both are ok for older games, they woulnd't run the latest and greatest that's for sure

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

HD4350<HD4550<<HD4650. The last of which isn't available in a low-profile format.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭(CH3)2CHOH

There is only a euro in the difference in the price of the 2 cards. After doing a bit more research the 4550 does seem slightly better and I wanted as low noise as possible, so passive cooling was a plus.

The kids games would be things like C+C generals type games and Flight unlimited.

These currently are running on an Athlon XP2400 and on board graphics (64MB), so basically anything is an improvement. LOL

The PC will be used for a lot of 2d stuff and running a lot of multible apps running. The laptop I use now really struggles. It's one of the first dual cores.

The processor was picked mainly on price, it will do everything I need and theres a bit of future proofing with the DDR3/AM3

I've ordered it now and for 255 euro I figure it will be a huge boost on what we have now.

Athlon II x4 620. 4GB DDR3. MSI MB. Asus WL adaptor.

I have an 250GB HD, AL case and a 600watt PSU . Which are all fine for now.

Thanks again

• Advertisement
Advertisement