Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picnic Areas in Midlands

Options
  • 21-09-2009 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of picnic areas in the Midlands?

I know of two:-
    one at Coosan point in Athlone,
    and the viewing point outside Ballykeeran

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Any of the lakes around Mullingar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭billbond4

do they have picnic tables?

That would be the definition of a picnic area yes ;)

You might have some nosy swans around Lough Ennel though looking to be fed :D

I would imagine Belvedere house has picnic facilities but you probably have to pay to get in first.

*edit: A quick google finds this.

Cheers, was going to try Belvedere House yesterday alright.

Pesky Swans they can get their own picnic !

I was sitting at a picnic table once, just reading and there was about 100 swans being fed by people in cars. Once they left, some of them came over to me and were deciding if my book was edible or not :D

There are also some public forests around that area that probably have some picnic tables and also try Liliput

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

portlick is nice to go for a picnic.. or other outdoor activities :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Cpt Beefheart

Belvedere is a lovely spot and has picnic areas scattered around. No swans to deal with. If you are up for going off the beaten track, I'd highly recommend Mullaghmeen Forest

http://www.coillteoutdoors.ie/index.php?id=53&rec_site=57&no_cache=1

At this time of year when leaves are changing it is magical there. There are benches just up to the right from the car park where you can spread out a picnic

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

+1 for Mullaghmeen - when you have packed up your picnic you can have a great walk in the forrest on one or more of the marked routes.
    Also - try Lough Derravaragh at Gartlandstown / Crookedwood - spectacular views and peace. There are only 1 or 2 tables but its not busy (esp at this time of year).

Cheers, will try to go there some weekend.
    That coillte website is pretty useful, theres a good few woods listed on it and the maps are good as well

Advertisement