Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble getting deposit and a months rent taken after my lease ended!

Options
  • 21-09-2009 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭

Hi All,

The EA for my previous apartment seem to be stalling with paying back my deposit and an extra months rent that they took out of my account after my lease had ended.

Its 21 days since I moved out and I called them this morning and was told I would be called back in a few minutes...that was a few hours ago now!

Last week their excuse was that the landlord was away on holidays but my lease is with the EA, my deposit receipt is with the EA and the company that took the extra months rent is the EA so the way I see it, it is the EA who should be writing me a check to pay back this money?

Well thats who I will be threatening with legal action anyway!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Are you sure they took the extra months rent from your account, rather than you mistakenly giving it to them? That would mean you set up a direct debit with them rather than a standing order. This seems very unlikely.

Note you have sole control of your standing orders, so contact your bank and make sure it is cancelled.

I would be worried about the EA not returning your deposit. It's possible they have no money and have already used your deposit to pay a creditor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Walk right in the door of the estate agent and speak to whomever you deal with. Over the phone will not cut it.

If they arent immediatly forthcoming with a deposit then speak to their management. And their management.
    Take names all along the way up.

If they do nothing and or refuse then inform them you will be reporting them and the landlord to the PRTB.

Tell them as estate agents you will be submitting a formal complaint to IAVI(Estate agents body) about the lack of co operation

Lawsuits mean nothing they will be refered to the PRTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭hideous ape

Took 22 days, four office visits, three phonecalls and a few emails!

Got a cheque this morning after causing blue murder in their office yesterday. Never did get a call back from the Accounts person. Some how that was the only person there who can write cheques and they thought this had been sorted out at the start of september???

Yes I was aware that the standing order was not cancelled on time but this EA took 22 days to pay back the money...that was my main issue. I fully understand there can be delays with deposits but this company made no effort to pay back the direct debit cash. No matter how many times I asked them to write out a cheque for me.

Lets see if the cheque bounces:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Good to hear.

Little tip on cheques. Just because you have access to the funds does not mean its cleared. Dont ask me to explain the details just trust me on it(Unless you really really want to be bored)

Only after about 10 working days is the money really safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Agent J wrote: »

Little tip on cheques. Just because you have access to the funds does not mean its cleared. Dont ask me to explain the details just trust me on it(Unless you really really want to be bored)

Only after about 10 working days is the money really safe.

or you could read http://www.goodthink.com/writing/view_stories.cfm?id=11&page_id=2 and learn about cheque clearances and be entertained ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement