Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

directx 11 mini rant

Options
  • 21-09-2009 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭

Grrr...

So, the disk with XP crapped out on me, but luckily I had Windows 7 installed on another disk, so i decided to use it. Being Windows 7, it had directx11 on it already, so I installed CoD4 and BF2. Both failed, due to some d3d error. So I installed the graphics card driver. Still it failed. Then I read on some random website that I needed directx9 installed.

Surely, I thought, dx11 would be enough?

Seems not. Seems you must have directx9 installed to run older games even though Windows 7 comes with Directx11 preinstalled. So, wtf is dx11 used for? Only newer games?

Makes no sense. Or just shows how f**ked Windows7 may be? Hope much of these odd "quirks" don't appear...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

the_syco wrote: »
    Grrr...

So, the disk with XP crapped out on me, but luckily I had Windows 7 installed on another disk, so i decided to use it. Being Windows 7, it had directx11 on it already, so I installed CoD4 and BF2. Both failed, due to some d3d error. So I installed the graphics card driver. Still it failed. Then I read on some random website that I needed directx9 installed.

Surely, I thought, dx11 would be enough?

Seems not. Seems you must have directx9 installed to run older games even though Windows 7 comes with Directx11 preinstalled. So, wtf is dx11 used for? Only newer games?

Makes no sense. Or just shows how f**ked Windows7 may be? Hope much of these odd "quirks" don't appear...

DirectX has always been like that. If you have the latest version and a game only supports an older version, you have to install the older version along side. It's not backward compatible. I think the apps look for version 9, 9c etc.

It's the same on vista. I have 10 and 9 side by side. I assume with windows 7 I 'll have 9,10 and 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

It's the same on vista.
    Ugh. Skipped Vista :D But yeah, I think I may remember having problems with dirext7 and certain games (Descent, maybe), but that was a long time ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I play COD4 and BF2 on windows 7...both without problem

Saying that i have XP installed on another partition that I use in case there are any errors in any games.

And all my games are then installed on a seperate partition thats shared by XP/7

7 will be brilliant when its released, i hope

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

i've had no such problem with windows 7 and directx. but punkbuster and windows 7 was problematic for me. i rolled back to windows vista til they sort it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Nvidia have said dx11 will not be the force driving dev of new cards it will be apps like cuda for using the processing power of gpu's for tasks other than 3d rendering, apparantly it's because their attempt to produce a good dx11 card was epic fail and ATI are now miles ahead so they are saying ah sure that doesn't matter anymore to save face,
    so I heard anyway could be wrong

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

If You've installed a single directX9 game on Windows 7 You'll overcome this problem. I've all my games installed from before on a seperate partion and had to install directX9 to get them to work. Windows 7 obviously doesn't ship with directX9

but punkbuster and windows 7 was problematic for me
    Feck, aye. Forgot about that one. Meh. Hope they release a fix for it, but it seems the scumbags have said they won't until the "official" release date of W7.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,301 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You'll find a lot of companies who won't support so-called Beta software - HP is one such company. Even norton got into the good act though and they launched a 2010 Beta for Windows 7 support. It works peachy.

My biggest problems with Windows 7 were drivers that HP had locked out to only run under Vista. I had to do quite a bit of digging to find alternatives that worked right. Smooth sailing ever since.

Not so much to do with directx, but it seems Windows7 has a problem with me installing any updates for CoD4 or BF2. I feel I'll be going back to XP shortly, as this is really taking the piss. Oh, and I'm not touching Vista.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Not so much to do with directx, but it seems Windows7 has a problem with me installing any updates for CoD4 or BF2. I feel I'll be going back to XP shortly, as this is really taking the piss. Oh, and I'm not touching Vista.
    Why? Vista isn't as bad an OS as it's reputation would suggest.

• Advertisement

Why? Vista isn't as bad an OS as it's reputation would suggest.
    I supported it for 14 months. XP didn't have as near as many problems. Sure, it's a out a while now, and the memory leaks may have been fixed, but I don't like the thought of Vista eating my RAM.

I first installed Vista after sp1 came out. I was getting random blue screens related to my nforce sata drivers. Took months to get it sorted trying different versions of the drivers. I finally had a stable enough systems (with the exception of the over use of resources).

Then sp2 came out a few weeks ago and now I'm back to the random blue screens. Haven't had time to revisit what I did with the drivers. I was considering installing the windows 7 rc1 I downloaded a while back but I seem to have lost the ISO file.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Windows 7 obviously doesn't ship with directX9

Yep, I installed a fresh install of Windows 7 (64bit) over the w/end. I was delighted to see that Quake2 works from the off. When I installed the first 2 episodes of the episodic Monkey Island Tales, I had to install DX9. I thought it odd but must be the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Thats odd, i thought DirectX was supposed to be backwards compatible. If you have 11 installed then all previous versions will work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Chumpski wrote: »
    Thats odd, i thought DirectX was supposed to be backwards compatible. If you have 11 installed then all previous versions will work?

yeah me too I have dx10 and all dx9 games work fine and i never installed that as far as i know

• Registered Users Posts: 83,301 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I supported it for 14 months. XP didn't have as near as many problems. Sure, it's a out a while now, and the memory leaks may have been fixed, but I don't like the thought of Vista eating my RAM.
    **** that, XP has far more memory management issues. Stupid win32 errors and Virtual Memory warnings. Im still wanting to have my boss let me upgrade him to windows 7 because his XP keeps throwing up memory errors like an old man trying to bring back soup in a deli. Theres 2GB of ram, 1/4 of it gets used and still the Virtual Memory is low and the hard drive is going nuts with no want or reason. I've been on this problem for weeks and have given up.

Vistas memory management actually has some intelligence. See Superfetching.

MooseJam wrote: »
    yeah me too I have dx10 and all dx9 games work fine and i never installed that as far as i know

No, if you've installed games requiring 9, at least one of them would have installed 9. Sure I still get games running the 9 installer now on vista.

Some more explanations on this thread.

http://forum.soft32.com/windows/Running-Directx-Vista-ftopict341556.html

Advertisement