Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United vs Liverpool FC Tuesday night 19:45

• 21-09-2009 12:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭

655_leeds_united_crest.jpg VS current-liverpool-crest.jpg

So, big enough game for the Carling cup 3rd round.

Top of the league Leeds meet an inform liverpool, who will have a lot of players looking to make an impression on Rafa.

According to Teamtalk, Liverpool will be from:

Cavalieri, Degen, Agger, Kyrgiakos, Dossena, Aurelio, Riera, Spearing, Babel, Voronin, Ngog, Reina, Benayoun, Lucas, Plessis, Darby, Kelly, Eccleston, Ayala

No Johnson, Torres, gerrard, mascherano, carragher, kuyt, skyrtl.

He does include internationals such as Agger, Dossena, Riera, Babel, Voronin and benayoun though.
    Any pool fans wanna venture the team line up?

No report on leeds squad, but i would expect it to be from the full squad, hopefully with a few changes though, would like to see a few fringe players given a run out.

Would like to see:

Higgs

--Crowe--Michalik-Marques--parker

--Snodgrass--kilkenny--doyle--robinson/johnson

Beckford--Grella

A sold out Elland Road (nice to see the bandwagon is still running on time) and live on sky should be quite the spectacle, here's hoping its a good one.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

sort out the size of those crests event!

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Come on Liverpool. I'd love to see them absolutely crush leads, like 10-0 or something.

Pretty much the only time I'll ever say that in a game that doesn't affect United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Mr Alan wrote: »
    sort out the size of those crests event!

;)

looks like i did it on purpose, they were the first two that came up in google search

so obviously not as much interest in this as i thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

event wrote: »
    so obviously not as much interest in this as i thought

It's the Mickey Mouse Cup, exactly how much interest did you think there would be?

Des wrote: »
    It's the Mickey Mouse Cup, exactly how much interest did you think there would be?

from leeds fans, thought there would be a good bit. even though most would prefer a win against MK dons, still a big game.

liverpool fans, perhaps not so much but makes a change to playing away at doncaster or rochdale in the CC. Suppose it also makes a change to playing hull or fulham in the league too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭rovingrover

from leeds fans, thought there would be a good bit. even though most would prefer a win against MK dons, still a big game.

liverpool fans, perhaps not so much but makes a change to playing away at doncaster or rochdale in the CC. Suppose it also makes a change to playing hull or fulham in the league too

Yes Doncaster would be much tougher opposition given they are playing at a higher level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭1mcampo1

I'm a leeds fan but i'm not really pushed on what the out come is tbh. The league and promotion has to be priority

i'm looking forward to this game myself.

not particularly fussed about the result tbh, but looking forward to seeing Ngog up front & hopefully Babel will get a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Is it possible for both teams to lose?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

15 straight league wins or something for Leeds at home...home win banker..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I love watching the carling cup

great to see the youngsters play

I cant wait to see arsenal and utd youngsters play
    especially wilshere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Cavalieri, Degen, Agger, Kyrgiakos, Dossena, Aurelio, Riera, Spearing, Babel, Voronin, Ngog, Reina, Benayoun, Lucas, Plessis, Darby, Kelly, Eccleston, Ayala

Guess:

Diego

--Degan
    Agger
    Kyrgiakos
    Aurelio--

Plessis

---Benayoun
    Lucas
    Riera/Babel

N'Gog/Babel
    Voronin

I reckon Babel will start but not sure if it'd be instead of Riera or N'Gog, more likely Riera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

in-form liverpool, they might have won one or two in a row but they are anything from in-form, gerrard, torres, carragher off form, defense leaking goals, if liverpool at present played liverpool march-may last year they would be skittled ;)

btw Aurelio is not an international

anyways leeds won't get a better chance to cause a shock than tomorrow night

Cavalieri
    Degen-Kyrgiakos-Agger(Ayala)-Auerlio
    Babel-Plessis-Spearing-Reira
    Voronin-N'Gog

didnt know aurelio hadnt played for brazil, ill change that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭The Hustler

PHB wrote: »
    Come on Liverpool. I'd love to see them absolutely crush leads, like 10-0 or something.

Pretty much the only time I'll ever say that in a game that doesn't affect United.

Bullied by a Leeds fan at school?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Bullied by a Leeds fan at school?

Man Utd/Leeds, does it need more explanation?

dobsdave wrote: »
    Man Utd/Leeds, does it need more explanation?

Aye

The feelings mutual, mind!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Obviously I would love it if Leeds managed to win the game since it's the first time we have played a top team in nearly 6 years but as others have said I would gladly swap a win tomorrow for a win on Saturday.

I'm looking forward to seieng elland Rd full and it should be absolutely rocking for this game but if Grayson has any cop on he won't play a full strength team and risk injuries ahead of Saturdays games.

As for the result it could really go either way, we are top class at home and haven;t lost in a long tome whereas Liverpool have looked dodgy and will be playing mostly fringe players. I'm gonna say this one will go to penalties and then it's anyones game, probably Liverpools because we are shít at penalties :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bearing in mind Pool have won this cup more often than anyone else they haven't really looked after the legacy. 3-1 Liverpool, if they can be arsed with Benny to score.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Obviously I would love it if Leeds managed to win the game since it's the first time we have played a top team in nearly 6 years but as others have said I would gladly swap a win tomorrow for a win on Saturday.

I'm looking forward to seieng elland Rd full and it should be absolutely rocking for this game but if Grayson has any cop on he won't play a full strength team and risk injuries ahead of Saturdays games.

As for the result it could really go either way, we are top class at home and haven;t lost in a long tome whereas Liverpool have looked dodgy and will be playing mostly fringe players. I'm gonna say this one will go to penalties and then it's anyones game, probably Liverpools because we are shít at penalties :)

Absolutely NO CHANCE that Grayson won't field our strongest XI - This is the biggest game in most of our players careers, and morale would be shot to pieces if he denied Beckford/Becchio/Snodgrass et al the chance to play against Liverpool.

• Advertisement

just saw marques is out for this, so centre backs will be kisnorbo and either michalik/naylor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Hmm, so who's 3rd and 4th in line as Liverpool captain??

Kuyt got it in pre-season when Gerrard & Carragher weren't around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Kuyt got it in pre-season when Gerrard & Carragher weren't around.

But he won't play either. Lucas or The Diamond I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I cant' believe that there are Leeds fans out there who are not desperate to see their boys put one over on Liverpool. Surely, if the option existed, you would take that in exchange for a couple of points dropped against MK Dons :confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

greendom wrote: »
    I cant' believe that there are Leeds fans out there who are not desperate to see their boys put one over on Liverpool. Surely, if the option existed, you would take that in exchange for a couple of points dropped against MK Dons :confused:

Not a chance, who gives a crap about the Carling Cup? Promotion is all that matters this season, nothing else.

As I said I would love it if we win and I'm really looking forward to the game but in the grand scheme of things it's pretty meaningless.

Nope. Promotion is the priority this season. Couldn't care less about The Carling Cup :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm Boggled that someone would risk a league game against tricky opposition to win a league cup match in a promotion push season (as every season is for Leeds).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Cmon Leeds.

I'll be watching every second of this and would love to see them get one over on Liverpool. As a leeds fan I've been starved of top flight fixtures. Leeds are in the best form since they were relegated from the premiership and this is a great chance to inject even more confidence into the team and keep the momentum of wins going.

I really think Leeds can nick a win tomorrow. Beckford and Johnson on the scoresheet.

I'd be at the game myself if I had any more holidays left in work but I reckon Elland road will be rocking.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    I'm Boggled that someone would risk a league game against tricky opposition to win a league cup match in a promotion push season (as every season is for Leeds).

mike you have been watching liverpool long enough to know that the league will be the furthest thing from leeds minds tomorrow night, we have seen it time and time and time again over the years, the smaller team whether they be in the promotion chase or the relegation fight will be up for the game and buzzing (luton, barnsley, sheffield utd, palace etc etc) and if liverpool don't match that fight/hunger/desire that leeds show tomorrow night then they go out to lower league opposition in a cup game once again

rossie1977 wrote: »
    mike you have been watching liverpool long enough to know that the league will be the furthest thing from leeds minds tomorrow night, we have seen it time and time and time again over the years, the smaller team whether they be in the promotion chase or the relegation fight will be up for the game and buzzing (luton, barnsley, sheffield utd, palace etc etc) and if liverpool don't match that fight/hunger/desire that leeds show tomorrow night then they go out to lower league opposition in a cup game once again

We may be in the 3rd Division but calling us a small team and putting us in the same bracket as 'Luton, Barnsley etc' is a just a tad absurd. We have, afterall, won the league more recently than your good selves ;)

We may be in the 3rd Division but calling us a small team and putting us in the same bracket as 'Luton, Barnsley etc' is a just a tad absurd. We have, afterall, won the league more recently than your good selves ;)

sorry giant of europe leeds..... happy now :pac:

rossie1977 wrote: »
    sorry giant of europe leeds..... happy now :pac:

Hehehe, 'Champions of Europe' would be about right :)

Really looking forward to this now! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

C'MON LEEDS:D
    Here ya go, Benitez knows what Leeds are all about and our fans, he also says he wants to win the Carling Cup
    http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/premiership/liverpool-ready-to-renew-rivalry-with-leeds-14502939.html

not a chance

we are realistic, we arent going to win the CC, so its a nice game and all but means nothing

we need to get back up, so the league is obviously the priority

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Interesting game ahead, both would hate to lose, and yet the league is all that really matters to both clubs.

From a Liverpool Forum -
    "Let's just say this is not a game I'm looking forward to. I have a real problem with Leeds fans, they're every bit as bad as other certain fans, but with unjustified extra malice. They might even win but at least I'll come out with it thinking at least I'm not on of them. c*nts."

Are we THAT bad, lads? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Rics

PHB wrote: »

Thanks for that. Nice bit of fishing there from a Manc. You can go now

Looking forward to this one and to seeing a few of our youngsters and fringe players.

I hope Babel and Ngog get a full game, no reason why they shouldn't.

Always a good atmosphere at Leeds too so it promises for a half decent game.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Looking forward to this one and to seeing a few of our youngsters and fringe players.

I hope Babel and Ngog get a full game, no reason why they shouldn't.

Always a good atmosphere at Leeds too so it promises for a half decent game.[/quote]

40k sellout so the atmosphere should be electric :D

• Advertisement

lads, any idea who G Bruno is for us?

he is 8/1 to score first on PP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

gerardo Bruna? Argentinian Winger.
    I'd be amazed if he were involved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

what odds are PP giving for each team to win the game ?

And besides the fringe players that Ben bought in, wouldnt ya think its a good opportunity to blood some youth/reserve players, since we dont have the bobs to buy these days ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Leeds player?

4/1 Leeds
    4/6 Liverpool
    11/4 Draw

Melion wrote: »
    Leeds player?

he's on the leeds side on PP but looks like he is a pool player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

gerardo Bruna? Argentinian Winger.
    I'd be amazed if he were involved

It's not impossible, wide midfield is a position you might take a pop at a kid, a less critical position. He's got some good reviews.

As for who'd be captain - Agger if he starts, or Aurelio...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Really looking forward to this one, hopefully it'll be a good game of football. Can imagine this being a classic, with loads of goals.

Jaysus 4/1 is huge odds. That's well worth a punt since Liverpool are mostly playing kids.

• Advertisement
Advertisement