Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United vs Liverpool FC Tuesday night 19:45

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Reminding me of my first game at Anfield, the 3-1 win in 03.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Jaysus 4/1 is huge odds. That's well worth a punt since Liverpool are mostly playing kids.

I'll definitely have a piece of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

Guys what Channel this on? Sky sports one has cricket someone said to me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭vestanpance

Oliver1985 wrote: »
    Guys what Channel this on? Sky sports one has cricket someone said to me?

Sky Sports 2, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

ss2 afaik

Cheers lads!! Torres deserves the rest keep him for the weekend!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭The Hustler

Oh god the suspense is killing me!

Have a birthday meal with my girlfriend at 6, so can anyone suggest a decent boozer in Temple Bar to watch it?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Oh god the suspense is killing me......

Cheers

Seriously? is it that big a game for Leeds?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Temple Bar is crap for watching games, better off going over to Panama or something, at least they have plenty of TV's and it won't be full of tourists.

• Advertisement

Oh god the suspense is killing me!

Have a birthday meal with my girlfriend at 6, so can anyone suggest a decent boozer in Temple Bar to watch it?

Cheers

Fitzsimmons is good for a match they have a huge screen in the place!!! Just dont hang around afterwards it gets a bit rough!!

dobsdave wrote: »

Well, put it this way, when you're used to Yeovil, Hartlepool and Brentford on a Tuesday night, Liverpool makes a welcome change :D

dobsdave wrote: »

not that big a game in importance, but its big in that we havent played a big PL team in ages

Its the biggest game of the season for Leeds without a doubt!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Oliver1985 wrote: »
    Its the biggest game of the season for Leeds without a doubt!!

Are you a Leeds fan or a Liverpool fan?

I'm guessing Liverpool tbh.

The Carling Cup will be nothing short of a distraction for Leeds, I think.

They are fighting for promotion, sure, taking the scalp of the Liverpool reservists may look good, but it won't get them up the leagues.

Des wrote: »

They are fighting for promotion, sure, taking the scalp of the Liverpool reservists may look good, but it won't get them up the leagues.

Im a liverpool fan with two brothers that are leeds fans!!! House is spilt down the middle tonight!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

OMG!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I'd be tempted by the nice odds on Leeds only for the fact that they're probably going to rest a few themselves tonight with one eye on the Oldham match at the weekend. Gambling on the Carling Cup is a total minefield.

flahavaj wrote: »
    I'd be tempted by the nice odds on Leeds only for the fact that they're probably going to rest a few themselves tonight with one eye on the Oldham match at the weekend. Gambling on the Carling Cup is a total minefield.

We're playing MK Dons at the weekend and we'll field our strongest 11, of that I'm certain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Sorry mate, I could have sworn I read it was Oldham this morning. Would you definitely say they'll be at full strength? Do they normally go all out in cup matches etc? Worth a small punt if so I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I think Leeds, QPR, Blackpool and WBA are all priced too high, so all may be worth a small punt. But CCC is definitely a minefield as the lower tier teams could also field weakened sides.

• Advertisement

flahavaj wrote: »
    Sorry mate, I could have sworn I read it was Oldham this morning. Would you definitely say they'll be at full strength? Do they normally go all out in cup matches etc? Worth a small punt if so I think.

Yep, Grayson ahs said he'd field our strongest possible 11 so expect Beckford, Becchio, Snodgrass, Howson and the rest all to play from the off :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Yep, Grayson ahs said he'd field our strongest possible 11 so expect Beckford, Becchio, Snodgrass, Howson and the rest all to play from the off :D

I suppose he has to start the first eleven considering the lads will be itching for a chance to play against Liverpool but I wish he would give some of them a rest for Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Just thinking about it a bit the U-20 World Cup which starts at the weekend will have a bit of an impact on the Liverpool line up (maybe more so on the bench than the first team). It won't massively affect things, just a few of the names in the squad might be a bit of a surprise.

Martin Kelly who would have been a good shout of starting and would definately have been on the bench will be missing. This means that Degen is most likely a dead cert to start. Also it means that there is a chance Mendy or Irwin might make the bench as cover for Degen, which would never have happened if Kelly wasnt off in Egypt.

Gulacsi and Bouzanis who would have been battling for the number 2 keeper spot on the bench are both gone as well which means that Hansen will be a shoe-in for the number 2 keeper.

Nemeth and Simon are the other two Liverpool players gone to Egypt but as they are on loan it doesn't affect matters. Luckily Argentina and France didn't make it as Insua (Argentina captain) and N'Gog (constant first-teamer) would have been gone as well. :D

So all in all it hasnt worked out too badly but will most likely mean there will be some unlikely players on the subs bench in the GK and RB role.

Also I don't know for sure but I would imagine Plessis is banned for this game after his straight red for the reserves last week.

Don't know what the situation is with any injuries/knocks - only one I can think of is that Pacheco missed the reserves game with a knock last week so he might be out of contention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Martin Kelly who would have been a good shout of starting and would definately have been on the bench will be missing. This means that Degen is most likely a dead cert to start. Also it means that there is a chance Mendy or Irwin might make the bench as cover for Degen, which would never have happened if Kelly wasnt off in Egypt.

Gulacsi and Bouzanis who would have been battling for the number 2 keeper spot on the bench are both gone as well which means that Hansen will be a shoe-in for the number 2 keeper.

Perhaps Darby on the bench rather than Irwin/Mendy. I would have thought he'd be ahead of them in the pecking order.
    Martin could also be a contender for the bench keeper. He did very well at Leicester last season (according to the commentator for the reserve match v the mancs last week).

seriously thinking of putting money on becks to score first for leeds, he's 3/1

Perhaps Darby on the bench rather than Irwin/Mendy. I would have thought he'd be ahead of them in the pecking order.
    Martin could also be a contender for the bench keeper. He did very well at Leicester last season (according to the commentator for the reserve match v the mancs last week).

Yeah I kinda forgot about Darby :rolleyes: Oops. He's probably a better bet than Irwin/Mendy.

Probably right about Martin being a possibility for bench keeper. Hard to keep track of the fleet of keepers. Not really a fan of Martin's to be honest - he did ok against the mancs, but I would be concerned about this ability with dealing with high balls into the box. Was reading a while back about him on a Leicester forum and they only gave him mediocre reviews in spite of his record with them. They weren't that disappointed to be losing him after his loan deal was up. Given Martin at once stage said he would have liked to stay on there I was surprised that a deal wasn't done with them. (Couldnt see wages or a bargain fee for Liverpool being an issue really)I am kinda surprised he is still at the club as I'm pretty sure his contract is up next summer. Cant see him getting a new one as he looks a long way of ever being first choice keeper especially with all the young lads. He looks like someone taking up space to me.

event wrote: »

I'd say wait and see what kind of teams are named by both sides.
    There's just too much scope for variance in who might be named to accurately judge how things will go. What if Leeds do decide to rest players as some on here have said? What if Rafa goes for an ultra-strong side (even without some of the bigger names)

For example Liverpool's back four could be Degen-Kyrgiakos-Agger-Aurelio with Spearing and Lucas (maybe even Masch for a while) in front of them or could be Degen-Ayala-Kyrgiakos-Dossena with Spearing and Palsson in front of them. Quite a bit of a difference there, even assuming Leeds name their strongest side.

Thats shocking odds

I'd say wait and see what kind of teams are named by both sides.
    There's just too much scope for variance in who might be named to accurately judge how things will go. What if Leeds do decide to rest players as some on here have said? What if Rafa goes for an ultra-strong side (even without some of the bigger names)

For example Liverpool's back four could be Degen-Kyrgiakos-Agger-Aurelio with Spearing and Lucas (maybe even Masch for a while) in front of them or could be Degen-Ayala-Kyrgiakos-Dossena with Spearing and Palsson in front of them. Quite a bit of a difference there, even assuming Leeds name their strongest side.

Beckford and Becchio will still kill them :D

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Thats shocking odds

The 3/1 is about Beckford being Leeds first goalscorer, meaning if Liverpool score first, the bet is still alive

• Advertisement

The 3/1 is about Beckford being Leeds first goalscorer, meaning if Liverpool score first, the bet is still alive

Thats a good bet defo worth tens bills!!!

reports on waccoe that liverpools team has been announced, different to the one in teh initial post

Cavalieri
    Degen
    Carra
    Greek man
    Dossena
    Spearing
    Masch
    Aurelio
    Riera
    Babel
    Ngog

Gerrard & Torres Travel

if so, there'll be no bets going on

reports on waccoe that liverpools team has been announced, different to the one in teh initial post

Cavalieri
    Degen
    Carra
    Greek man
    Dossena
    Spearing
    Masch
    Aurelio
    Riera
    Babel
    Ngog

Gerrard & Torres Travel

Really really doubt that's the team

Don't think there's a chance in hell of Carra playing.

Yeah I thought he was resting Carra to!!! What a strike force we have Babel and Ngog!!

Cavalieri
    Degen
    Carra
    Greek man
    Dossena
    Spearing
    Masch
    Aurelio
    Riera
    Babel
    Ngog

Gerrard & Torres Travel

waccoe ??

Really really doubt that's the team

Don't think there's a chance in hell of Carra playing.

Lasy year Carra's only appearance in the Carling Cup was against Crewe coming on in the 73min to replace Degen who picked up an injury.

Would be shocked if he was in the starting line up or even on the bench considering the other options available.

waccoe ??

we are the champions, champions of europe

one of the main leeds forums

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

waccoe ??

Beaten to it!

we are the champions, champions of europe

one of the main leeds forums

:eek:

• Advertisement

Also, Rafa never names his team early.

:eek:

chant in reaction to the 75 european cup final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Des wrote: »

isn't that a bit of a wimpy attitude? "Ohh let's not play well tonight, might harm our promotion chances"

Surely Leeds are a big enough club to cope with a bit of a cup run and a promotion season. Success breeds success as well doesn't it.

Some people on this thread doth protest too much I feel

You can still gloat if you win, but if you lose " ahh sure it didn't matter we didn't want to beat a premiership club anyway"

greendom wrote: »
    You can still gloat if you win, but if you lose " ahh sure it didn't matter we didn't want to beat a premiership club anyway"

Of course we want to beat a Premiership side but there is no point in deluding ourselves into thinking we have a chance of winning the competition so therefore the match is pretty much meaningless bar pride and confidence building. It would be great to beat Liverpool but promotion is that matters this season.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Of course we want to beat a Premiership side but there is no point in deluding ourselves into thinking we have a chance of winning the competition so therefore the match is pretty much meaningless bar pride and confidence building. It would be great to beat Liverpool but promotion is that matters this season.

Surely the aim for a club taking part in any competition is to go as far as you possibly can. otherwise what's the point.

There wouldnt' be many clubs taking part in a cup competition if they had to base their decision on whether to enter on whether they were going to win it.

There be at least 9 less rounds in the FA Cup for a start.

isn't that a bit of a wimpy attitude? "Ohh let's not play well tonight, might harm our promotion chances"

Surely Leeds are a big enough club to cope with a bit of a cup run and a promotion season. Success breeds success as well doesn't it.

well take into account leeds will play 46 league games this year.
    we will enter in the first round of the FA cup, probably getting 3 games there.
    this is our third game in the CC. we will enter the JPT too, thats probably 4 games.
    so around 56 games in a season, we have a first team squad of around 19 players or so.

obviously the league is the main thing, no one gives a ****e really about the CC, its not like we are going to win the thing so we are realistic.

• Advertisement

A cup run is not what Leeds need to be honest. They are a good side but promotion has got to be their priority.
    Leeds don't have the luxury that Liverpool do and can't play their 'B' team.
    Leeds missed out on promotion two seasons in a row and if they are to challenge for automatic promotion then being knocked out tonight will be a sacrifice I'm sure Grayson and his team can accept.

It's always great for teams from a lower division to get a top four side. Leeds will play tonight. They won't just roll over but promotion has to be their priority.

A loss tonight could seriously dent the team's confidence and make promotion less likely. Look what happened after Villa got knocked out of Europe last season.

I really can't see how people can call themselves proper fans if they don't mind their team losing in a major competition.

A loss tonight could seriously dent the team's confidence and make promotion less likely. Look what happened after Villa got knocked out of Europe last season.

I really can't see how people can call themselves proper fans if they don't mind their team losing in a major competition.

I'm gonna guess from this post that you are a supporter of a Premier League team with a big squad.

For supporters of lower league teams like myself who don't have the luxury of a big squad we would like reasonable priorities made for the season.

For Leeds - Promotion
    For Newcastle - Promotion

These two teams, just like a lot of other teams have their resources stretched to the limit and don't have big squads.

Premier League teams don't have to worry about the size of their squads like lower league teams do and a team like Leeds play 46 games in the league with a few other games thrown on top of that.

A cup run isn't really possible and that is why for the last few seasons Premier League teams have won the cup, because they have two squads if you will for the league and the CC.

That_Guy wrote: »
    I'm gonna guess from this post that you are a supporter of a Premier League team with a big squad.

For supporters of lower league teams like myself who don't have the luxury of a big squad we would like reasonable priorities made for the season.

For Leeds - Promotion
    For Newcastle - Promotion

These two teams, just like a lot of other teams have their resources stretched to the limit and don't have big squads.

Premier League teams don't have to worry about the size of their squads like lower league teams do and a team like Leeds play 46 games in the league with a few other games thrown on top of that.

A cup run isn't really possible and that is why for the last few seasons Premier League teams have won the cup, because they have two squads if you will for the league and the CC.

No my no 1 team is Barnet. I would be delighted to get a major scalp in a cup competition even if it meant we lost the next league game.

No my no 1 team is Barnet. I would be delighted to get a major scalp in a cup competition even if it meant we lost the next league game.

My bad. It's always great for a lower league team to beat a Premier League team but the odds are stacked against us all the time.
    An upset is great yes but you're not guaranteed it so no harm in losing to tougher opposition.

• Advertisement
Advertisement