Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FS: Focus Mares 2009 cyclocross bike, size 54 (price drop: €600)

Options
  • 21-09-2009 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭

I'll post pics when I get a chance, but since the cross season is approaching I thought I'd get it up ASAP.

I bought this bike last Christmas for a close family member. He has ridden it a couple of times, pottering around on the pavements, before deciding he hated drop bars and was uncomfortable, and he prefers his BMX, and it's just soooooo unfair. I have ridden it twice, one on off-road trails and once in the snow, and found it brilliant. But it's not an ideal size for me.

It's basically in as-new condition, apart from a scuff somewhere (can't remember where, will photograph it).

Would suit rider 5'7-5'9" according to the Wiggle size guide, although I'm 6ft and didn't find it uncomfortable.

It will be replaced by a hardtail mountain bike, or maybe even a full susser; my powers of persuasion are weak with this one.

Asking price: €600. It cost £744 new. The current Wiggle price is €944.49 with Platinum discount level.

Spec (from Wiggle):

Top Features of the Focus Mares 2009

* 6061 Alloy Cyclocross Frameset
    * Shimano 105 Groupset
    * Mudguard/Pannier eyes on frame and fork
    * Double bottle cage bosses
    * FSA Gossamer Pro Chainset
    * Compact gearing 50/34 front 12-27 rear
    * Tektro V-brakes
    * Tektro cyclocross extra brake levers
    * Concept SL 2800 wheelset
    * Schwalbe Racing Ralph tyres
    * Concept Seatpost
    * FSA Bars and Stem

92473.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

2cm bigger and I'd be all over it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

I have to say that is a gorgeous looking bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

I may be interested in this. Damn redundancy cheque better come fast :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Yes, if I too had money I would make an offer....argh!

I can at least be content in the fact that Lumen will probably be selling lots of nice kit for years to come and I can bid on these future hand-me-downs.

G'Luck with the sale!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

kensutz wrote: »
    I may be interested in this. Damn redundancy cheque better come fast :D

Cool, PM me if you want to pop round for a look/spin. I was plannning to post pics last night but had to work late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

Will do, I'll be in Dublin a lot over the next few weeks and then permanently. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Greyspoke

Hmmm! Just spotted this....very tempting - where can it be seen?

Greyspoke wrote: »
    Hmmm! Just spotted this....very tempting - where can it be seen?

I'm in Clonsilla. PM me if you want to arrange a viewing.

Will do. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Is it still for sale,Lumen

• Advertisement

Yes, but there's a boardsie coming round tonight to see it.

Is that you? I'm not sure. I get confused with everybody having two names :)

edit: no, I think it's Greyspoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

No its not me, i was with you before ,fluid trainer.

Let me know if its not sold, and I will call to you saturday.

maca

macadam wrote: »
    Let me know if its not sold, and I will call to you saturday.

Not sold. I did clean it last night, but it was too dark to photograph.

Pics showing general condition, scuff on chainstay and small scratches on top of forks.

92474.JPG
    92475.JPG
    92476.JPG
    92477.JPG

Price now includes Shimano PD-M540 SPD pedals, bought from Wiggle in Dec 08, currently €69.

shimano%20m540%20pedals.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 SunshineCyclist

I'm interested but,

Have two concerns.

1: I'm only 5 ft five - am i too small??
    2: Would you be able to post to Kerry and how much to do just that?

Thanks.

I'm interested but,

Have two concerns.

1: I'm only 5 ft five - am i too small??
    2: Would you be able to post to Kerry and how much to do just that?

Thanks.

Of course you're not too small, but the bike is too big! The Wiggle size guide suggests a size 52 for riders between 5'5-5'7".

They still have size 52s in stock though, if you wanted a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 SunshineCyclist

Pity, it's a good deal. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

Lumen wrote: »
    Price drop: €650.

I need to clear some space...

When you get to 400 call me .. I have space :)

When you get to 400 call me .. I have space :)

LOL. For that price I could have spent £175 on a Uncle John frame that fitted me and swapped the parts over.

Damn it, why didn't I do that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

Just noticed there's a guy on mtbireland.com looking for a cx bike - might be worth contacting him.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭columbus_66

Hi Lumen,

I am interested in this if it fits me. I am looking for a CX bike with fender\rack mounts. would you take €500 for it if it fits?

would you take €500 for it if it fits?

Not at this stage, sorry. :(

No worries, keep me in mind. If it's any help I wouldn't need the pedals or the chainset if its 172.5mm, probably not the bars, stem, seatpost, saddle either! In fact I just really want the frame?

No worries, keep me in mind. If it's any help I wouldn't need the pedals or the chainset if its 172.5mm, probably not the bars, stem, seatpost, saddle either! In fact I just really want the frame?

Aaaah, then we might be able to come to some arrangement, since the only reason I want to sell it is because the frame doesn't fit me.

How much can you offer for the frame? Do you want the forks also? Will you be doing the build yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭short circuit

Hi Lumen .. considering that you are considering breaking up the bike ... would you take an offer on the pedals ... how much would you be looking for? And do you have the cleats for them as well.

Hi Lumen .. considering that you are considering breaking up the bike ... would you take an offer on the pedals ... how much would you be looking for? And do you have the cleats for them as well.

Yes, I have the cleats, but I may well keep the pedals, if not I'll give you first refusal.

Hi Lumen,

I can offer you €300 for the frame and fork. I have a Specialized cross fork but it wouldn't match the frame colour.

• Advertisement

Hi Lumen,

I can offer you €300 for the frame and fork. I have a Specialized cross fork but it wouldn't match the frame colour.

Apologies for the delay, I've been mulling over your offer.

The problem with breaking this is that I'll feel compelled to build up the parts into a new bike, and the whole point of me selling it is to free up space for my new TT rig.

However, I found the original invoice, and it cost less than I remembered, so have corrected the pricing on my original post and reduced the asking price to €600. This follows my "25% loss when it leaves the showroom" depreciation model, plus a few more quid knocked off for the chainstay scuff.

However, the current new price for the last couple of small sizes is €944.49 with platinum discounts, so €600 represents a 36% saving over the current new price for what's essentially a brand new bike.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement