Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat feeding question

Options
  • 21-09-2009 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭

My gf has had her cat for 4+ years and during that time it has eaten exclusively dry food. In the last 2 weeks or so it it completely stopped eating the dry food and it wouldn't eat for a few days so they tried wet food and it work. It's now back eating but only the wet food. Is this anything to worry about or is it just typical cat stubbornness and he wanted a change?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Boredom perhaps, or they changed brand?
    Try mixing both wet/dry for a while and then reduce wet food.

For our cat we change the dry brand pretty much every time we buy and mix with wet occasionally as a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

get the teeth checked next time you're at the vets (or check yourself if you dare ;-)). It could be something like that - a broken tooth, or a gum infection, which makes dry food harder to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

Changing your cats food every time you buy a new bag is disastrous, Im suprised your cat doesnt have D+ every time you switch. When your animal becomes acustomed to a food, you should only change the food gradually, slowly introducing the new food.
    I would agree that there may be some medical reason why your cat has suddenly decided not to eat the dry food, teeth problems would be high on my list. The cat will of course love the wet food, it is much tastier but also much less nutritious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I'd check the teeth first, and gums and jaw for injuries.
    Cats are smart and generally prefer soft food to dry as its less work to eat. Just mix the two for now and increase the amount of dry gradually.
    You can change a cats food daily if you like, (they aren't like dogs and won't get sick) I change often and also give raw chicken wings, liver and mince or trimmings of whatever meat we're having as treats.

Advertisement