Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conned by Landlord

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

you need to get a grip

thats what i have. a tennant cant just deduct rent so when people stop posting silly suggestions then i will stop refuting them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭lycopodium123

zuroph wrote: »
    so's your face :rolleyes: what a ridiculous reply.
    You can't just with-hold rent and get in cleaners, its up to the landlord to organise.

the landlord cant be contacted; or have you not read the whole thing?

the landlord cant be contacted; or have you not read the whole thing?

and your point is ? How long has he given him ? Why hasnt he used the landlords proxy i.e his parents.

Theres a way to handle things and threatening to withold rent etc is not the way to do this

D3PO wrote: »
    thats what i have. a tennant cant just deduct rent so when people stop posting silly suggestions then i will stop refuting them

you seem incredibly passionate about all this for someone who isn't a landlord

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I think at this point the OP has learned that you need to be careful when renting an apartment (although 2K rent for a property nowadays ...must be pretty nice place)

as posted above..... the smell will disappear in a couple of days/weeks ....so problem is effectively solved ....fresh air will do the place good anyway.

I dont think you(the OP) were "Conned" .... you didnt pay full attention and made assumptions when viewing the place, I've done the same on a couple of occasions - but learn to live with the property I rent...now..in saying that - every property that I have rented was a decent enough place....sometimes furniture wasnt comfortable but .... you get used to it....cant demand new stuff just 'cos its not comfortable...a couch was supplied :P

Anyway.... as I said above...lesson learned - time (and fresh air) will clear the place out of the cancerous odour.

• Advertisement

and your point is ? How long has he given him ? Why hasnt he used the landlords proxy i.e his parents.

Theres a way to handle things and threatening to withold rent etc is not the way to do this

eh, i'm not the OP, maybe you should ask him those questions.....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

no you cant. :eek: seriously you need to understand a tennants rights before you start posting completly random things that have no backing by tennant law
    I was thinking of "You are entitled to reimbursement for any repairs that you carry out that are the landlords’ responsibility" but that might not apply here?

Can you link to your claim? That he cannot deduct rent for repairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I agree with him - I'm not a landlord .... biggest thing I own is a 03 fiesta :D ....but people who rent today (myself included).... need to shop around for a decent bargain .... there are plenty of places on the market to choose from and if someone rents before checking out the property properly thats their fault.

I've driven around potential neighbourhoods to see if theres any local faces ...ie scumbags/gangs/junkies..... or even any gang markings (tagging) .... at the moment I rent in a 3 bed place in a suburban area in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

a tennant

Tenant, perhaps?

I'm not sure that you really can do anything. You viewed the place and found it fine. Contact the landlord and have a chat with him and see if you could reach an agreement. Or you could try contact the PRTB and see if they could give you any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Magnus wrote: »
    I was thinking of "You are entitled to reimbursement for any repairs that you carry out that are the landlords’ responsibility" but that might not apply here?

What repairs? No repairs are needed, only cleaning.

The tenant also has obligations to make sure the premises is in order before signing the lease.

The OP didn't view the place properly. The OP accepted the place after viewing.

Since then, no fault has occurred that would require the landlord to repair. The place was accepted by the OP, and the OP now needs to clear the place to his/her own requirements.

Nothing to do with the landlord really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Nothing is 'broken' though. The op has been given loads of advice about how to get rid of the smell, it will hopefully go eventually.

PCPhoto wrote: »
    I agree with him - I'm not a landlord .... biggest thing I own is a 03 fiesta :D ....but people who rent today (myself included).... need to shop around for a decent bargain .... there are plenty of places on the market to choose from and if someone rents before checking out the property properly thats their fault.

I've driven around potential neighbourhoods to see if theres any local faces ...ie scumbags/gangs/junkies..... or even any gang markings (tagging) .... at the moment I rent in a 3 bed place in a suburban area in Dublin.

thats fair enough, I've done that myself, but clearly the landlord knew there was a stench, thats why he had all the doors and windows open so the OP was mislead. What was he gonna do - go around and close all the doors and windows to smell the place?! I mean, seriously, come on!

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gleep

Ok lads, as for the cleaning/airing place out, I;ve tried this. You really dont understand the extent of this problem, I can't describe it. IT can be smelt from the hallway of the block.

And FYI, I am a smoker myself, and even I cant stand the pong in this place.

I'm sticking to my guns here, I won't roll over and let this guy walk away with my money. I'm not rich by any means, this guy has conned me. End of.

gleep wrote: »
    Ok lads, as for the cleaning/airing place out, I;ve tried this. You really dont understand the extent of this problem, I can't describe it. IT can be smelt from the hallway of the block.

I'm sticking to my guns here, I won't roll over and let this guy walk away with my money. I'm not rich by any means, this guy has conned me. End of.

let us know what he says when you eventually get hold of him, you never know, he could be really cool about it all and either give you your money back or else get it sorted........unlikely, I know, but you never know!!!

thats fair enough, I've done that myself, but clearly the landlord knew there was a stench, thats why he had all the doors and windows open so the OP was mislead. What was he gonna do - go around and close all the doors and windows to smell the place?! I mean, seriously, come on!

This is my point. This is what I'm arguing. He misled me, purpousley. He never even said "I have the windows open because I'm trying to get rid of a smell."
    He pulled the wool over my eyes.
    If someone does this to you ie car salesman etc, they dont get away with it, why should a landlord be any different???

So you're ignoring and unwilling to take any advice on here? What was the point of the thread? :confused:

Cathooo wrote: »
    So you're ignoring and unwilling to take any advice on here? What was the point of the thread? :confused:

I wanted to see if anyone had a similar experience, or had any advice on how to go about getting my money back.

I wanted to see if anyone had a similar experience, or had any advice on how to go about getting my money back.

Fair enough, I think it's safe to say it's not reason enough to get any money back legally.

Hope it works out for you though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

There's not much he can do if you break the lease and move out. Take the 2k hit and put it down to experience.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

:(Ill bet he was fully aware of the stench. The stink of old tarry smoke is a place is disgusting and the fact that he was savvy enough to have the windows open when you viewed shows he knew full well. The fact that you werent savvy enough to cop something was up is unfortunate and could happen to anyone.
    It very nearly happenned to me - I would never have copped the rubbish bins to the side of an apt I was viewing to buy but for the windows being locked and no sign of he keys. Im hardly going to buy a gaff that I cant open the windows on so on the 2nd viewing, the keys were produced. THE EA INSISTED that we view it on a Wednesday so I did and then asked for a viewing on Saturday morning and opened the windows and the smell!!! It was vile. Outta there pronto.

Please update on what happens. You were sold a pig in a poke and you have my sympathies. I doubt very much the smell will go unless you seal, paint and get rid of the furniture. Even then, fag muck will prevail for quite a while Id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How far do you want to go? Check facebook, and see where it says he's living? Google his name, and see can you find out where he lives. Unless he used an agency, I have doubs if he lives in Oz. Also, where do you pay the rent to?
    And if the landlord has moved to Oz, I wonder to whom you send the notice to? Has he left you details on how to contact him, should anything break?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

Just signed a year long lease at the weekend. Whenever I went to view the apt., all was well. But I did notice that all the windows and balcony doors were wide to the world. When i went with all my stuff to move in I was hit by a sickening smell of stale cigarette smoke in the apt. Couldnt believe it, its absolutley disgusting.
    Everything in the apt. is contaminated, the walls stink, doors, floors, carpets, beds even TV. If I was to live here I'll end up smelling like this place. I tried washing it down with all sorts of cleaners an Dettol, left the windows open and came back a few hours later, and smell was almost gone. So I closed up windows & doors again. When I came back next day, the smell was back.
    It seems the only way to freshen the place is to leave all windows and doors wide open, as the landlord had done during viewing. HE obviously knew what he was doing.
    I've paid this con man €2000 in deposit and months rent, he's returned to Australia where he lives, what can I do? Tried Threshold, not much help. Thir advise is "you shouldnt have signed lease". They didnt take me seriously, but I dont think anyone really is. But this place is absolutley stinking, its everywhere. No amount of scrubbing will get rid.
    Surely the landlord has acted deceitfully? If anyone came and sniffed for themselves they'd have to agree. Any Advice much appreciated.

You signed a legal document so you cant do bog all about that.
    If everything stinks of smoke buy some frebreeze and sort it out cleaning the surfaces wont do much at all its the fabrics and all that which hold the smell frebreeze should get rid of the smell.
    Also he has not conned you at all it is entirely your fault that you did not enquire as to why all the windows where open at the viewing.
    Buy a can of Frebreeze and stop whining about something that is entirely your fault

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

A few things to look into:

http://www.howtodothings.com/home-and-garden/a4685-how-to-remove-cigarette-odor.html
    Charcoal. There's nothing fancy or particularly aesthetically pleasing about charcoal in a bowl, but when you scatter some bowls of charcoal around your room or car (as long as you're not planning to drive), you'll find that it has absorbed the cigarette odor after about a week. It's one of the unexpectedly effective forms of cigarette odor removal.

http://www.healthguidance.org/entry/9109/1/How-to-Get-Rid-of-Cigarette-Smell.html
    Carpets:
    Fill a large tub with bicarbonate of soda (baking soda), add a few drops of essential oil and mix well. Lavender smells nice, but the flavor is up to you. Sprinkle the mixture liberally over the carpet, let it sit for at least four hours and then just vacuum it up. Repeat as necessary.
    Walls:
    Next to Italian salad dressings, this may be vinegar's most important job. Even if you are going to paint the walls, you still need to clean them first. In a large bowl or bucket mix one cup of white vinegar for every two cups of warm water, then add a scoop of baking soda - it should fizz. Use a sponge mop or brush to wash down your walls and ceilings with it. This solution will make residue much easier to remove and should be easy on your paint too. Follow this up with a vinegar based window washer for windows (can be found in organic grocery stores), and your basic bubbly vinegar/baking soda mix on the window moldings.

Evolute wrote: »
    You signed a legal document so you cant do bog all about that.
    If everything stinks of smoke buy some frebreeze and sort it out cleaning the surfaces wont do much at all its the fabrics and all that which hold the smell frebreeze should get rid of the smell.
    Also he has not conned you at all it is entirely your fault that you did not enquire as to why all the windows where open at the viewing.
    Buy a can of Frebreeze and stop whining about something that is entirely your fault

Everyones entitled to their opinion, i suppose. But see my posts above re seriousness of the smell.
    As for the whining comment, I think you have issues. Maybe in the real world you would never say that to someone but now you have your keyboard muscles...........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

IF the smell is this bad you would have noticed it at the viewing, whether the windows where open or not... you have no claim, take the advice of 90% of the posters, next time you'll check out the place more thoroughly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

First of all, find out is the landlord registered for to the PRTB. Also, since he claims to be living in Australiaa, is he registered as living abroad with PRTBfor tax purposes? I presume such a con-man (yes, anyone who does what he does is a con-man; if you disagree, look up the dictionary definition) probably isn't, so hopefully you can mention that when you persuade him to either refund your deposit or do something else to remedy the situation.

Does it meet the minimum standards?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/housing/renting-a-home/repairs-maintenance-and-minimum-physical-standards

P.

actions have concequences. Tennants acting irresponsibility hurts other tennants in terms of how landlords react to them and their requirments.

Besides which I hate seeing false information being bandied around here which would put a tennant at a disavantage in any PRTB dispute resolution hearing.

• Advertisement

since when did getting rid of a cigarette smoke odour consist of a "repair"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement