Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 7 boot loader - detect new OS

• 21-09-2009 1:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭

On my laptop I have a single hard drive partitioned into two.

I had XP installed on the first partition (C:) with the second for general usage (D:). I used a partitioning tool to make an image of C: and write it to D:

I then installed Windows 7 RC onto the first partition hoping it would pick up the XP in the second partition and add it automattically to the boot loader, but it did not.

I used easyBCD to manually had an entry for XP, but if I select it at boot time, it just restarts the computer.

I used bootsect to repair nt60 on the first partition and nt52 on the second partition

I've editied boot.ini on the second partition to change the partition number from 1, the origional value, to 2, as XP is now on partition 2.

Non of the above have worked.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    On my laptop I have a single hard drive partitioned into two.

I had XP installed on the first partition (C:) with the second for general usage (D:). I used a partitioning tool to make an image of C: and write it to D:

I then installed Windows 7 RC onto the first partition hoping it would pick up the XP in the second partition and add it automattically to the boot loader, but it did not.

I used easyBCD to manually had an entry for XP, but if I select it at boot time, it just restarts the computer.

I used bootsect to repair nt60 on the first partition and nt52 on the second partition

I've editied boot.ini on the second partition to change the partition number from 1, the origional value, to 2, as XP is now on partition 2.

Non of the above have worked.

Any suggestions?
    Two partitions, both NTFS primary partitions. Install XP on the first partition, then install Windows 7 on the secondary one. Windows XP will now be listed as Previous Operating System - which you can rename in Easy BCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

I have XP and Win 7 both installed and configured, applications installed etc.

I'd prefer not to have to install both again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Big Lar

There you go bob,

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022

Have a gander at that, it should sort you out.

Dont forget to backup your boot.ini file first - just in case eh !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Editing boot.ini didn't work.

I think it's a case of XP not knowing how to handle itself once it switched from C: to E:

I threw the towel in and just reinstalled XP, then restored the Win 7 boot loader with easyBCD from within XP.

I only want XP there as a backup (in a non virtualized way) on a small enough partition so no biggy reinstalling it.

Advertisement