Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best savings account

Options
  • 21-09-2009 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hey all,

Was just wondering which bank is offering the best interest rate on savings accounts at the moment for a lump sum of approx. 20,000 euro?? Anyone any suggestions??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

If you stay under 20,000 EUR then it would be Irish Nationwide.

If you go over 20,000 EUR then the best rate is with Nationwide UK Ireland.

I suggest you check out the Ask About Money lump sum best buys thread.
    Best for amounts from €1 to €20,000
    Irish Nationwide: Instant Access
    3.75% up to €20,000
    2.50% from €20,000 with no maximum
    Note 1: Interest paid annually.
    Note 2: Interest rate includes a "bonus" of 1.25% that expires on 1 Jan 2011

Best for amounts from €20,000 to €2 million
    Nationwide UK: Easy Access (Discuss)
    3.55% on €2,000 minimum to €2m maximum.
    Note: NB: Interest is reduced if more than 6 withdrawals are made a year (Apr-Mar).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Mr Daniels

Hi there, could anyone tell me what is the best rate on a deposit account at the moment on either 10k or 20k or 30k respectively. I would expect reasonable access, for example two withdrawals over a year or two. Thought it was Irish Nationwide and Halifax, but I heard BOI is offering 7%? See:

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/nationwides-new-375pc-deposit-rate-the-highest-on-market-1898803.html

Thanks

D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

The best rate for 10,000 EUR and 20,000 EUR is Irish Nationwide with 3.75%, you have instant access.

For 30,000 EUR, open 2 Irish Nationwide accounts, put 10,000 EUR in one and 20,000 EUR in the other.

BOI do not offer 7%. A while ago they paid 3.44% ("7% gross") on a 2 year term deposit. This rate is no longer on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

My wife has a PTSB savings account that is 5%, I have no details on it. From what I can see though the 21 day saver is 4%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Mr Daniels

Thanks guys, that's great, do you perhaps know how long those Irish Nationwide rates are guaranteed for?

• Advertisement

Saruman wrote: »
    My wife has a PTSB savings account that is 5%, I have no details on it. From what I can see though the 21 day saver is 4%.

I think the 5% PTSB account you're referring to is probably an 18month one, where the annual rate works out as 3.31%.

Advertisement