Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get kittens to trust you

Options
  • 21-09-2009 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

We have been feeding a family of ferral cats (mum, dad & 3 kittens) for the past 2 months now outside our apartment. The kittens are getting old enough now to be separated from parents and they come about 3 times a day now looking for a feed on their own, which is all well and good but how do i get them to trust me enough to be able to pet them or pick them up? They know my voice and sometimes let me stroke their head when feeding but generally run away if i go anywhere near. They are my cutest little things and would love to cuddle them and keep them warm for winter!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's a confidence thing, let them approach you.
    Maybe have food in your hand.

You will win them over, it just takes time and babysteps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭lmahoney79

yeah have try feeding them by hand, one of them took it once but then legged it!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

When you put out the food - just stay there hunkered down and put the food close to you.
    Then as they move in - you moving your hand slowly just pet them a small bit - no sudden movements - do not make eye contact.
    Just build it up slowly over time.

Not sure about picking up - if they are at the age now where they can be moved and have not been handled already it might be difficult.
    Also you could try playing with them with a shoelace.

Remember though when they get older to catch them incl the parents to get them spayed / neutered... Did this yrs ago and never regretted it - though we did note a personality change from some of the cats and one never trusted us again for yrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭lmahoney79

Thanks for that but everything you have said i have actually already done to the letter!

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

I found it took longer than I thought to gain trust.We had the 2 cutest little bundles of fluff that we were dying to cuddle, but if we went near them they'd only swipe at us and hiss.
    We did a few things. We had a hot water bottle with a furry cover on it. It was supposed to remind them of their mother's heat, but it was covered so not too hot. This went in their bed.
    Then, while they were hungry, not after a meal, put some food on the tips of your finger so they have to approach you to get it. Do this a few times and eventually touch them while they are eating. Let them see your hand coming, don't approach from behind them or they'll get a fright.
    Another trick was rubbing their head lightly while they were eating from a bowl. Annoying for them probably, but it got them used to us. As there was no other time they would allow us to touch them.
    Don't pick them up as this will frighten, let them come to you. I think the main thing is that they need to gain trust and know your not going to eat them!
    I'm trying to remember but I think it took about 2 good weeks for them to eventually play with us and not hiss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

OP - I have done this 2 ways.

1. feral kitten yrs ago - no parents.
    Kept in a shed for a few weeks - used to go in and feed it change the litter each day. After a week or so used to take it on a leash out to the garden.
    This cat eventually stopped biting me - after 1.5 wks - arms were ripped to shreds but it grew to be a loyal and loving pet.

2. Feral kittens with mother cat in our back yard
    As above - took MONTHS - but since you are not with them constantly and handling them constantly it took much longer and they never trusted me enough to pick them up - though one always loved a pet.
    I think the advice about hand feeding is the best bet - get them used to the smell of you - and do not move suddenly.
    This will take AGES... But the more time you spend with them the better.

I guess you have to balance what you are trying to do here.
    Ie tame the cats so they trust humans - and could potentially get harmed by them.
    Or have a pet - ie house cat...
    My cats while they trust me run a mile from other humans. So figure out what you want and go for it - just be prepared to put in the time and have patience with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 zipy

A few years ago we managed to tame a feral kitten,he is with us two years now and he is the friendliest little pest you could imagine. He used to come to food outside our back door and we would sit on the step and coax him to play,gradually he began to trust us but at no point was he happy to be indoors. Eventually we caught him but he was very skittish, the only way to tame him was to keep him confined indoors in a small space for a few days,so he stayed in the ensuite with a litter tray ,needless to say he won the fight with the loo roll.
    He still retains some of his feral characteristics,easily spooked and likes to be outdoors a lot,but he turns up to be tucked into his bed on the landing every night. Advice to you is to catch them and tame them as we did. It's amazing how in only a few days they do gain trust and begin to settle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Maqnus

Just be really really nice and don't scare the shít out of them.

Kittens are lovely when they're friends with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Adventure Pout

kittens are a bundle of joy..they all have their personality and because they are small, when you approach them try to be small too e.g. lower yourself, speak with a soft voice, don't do any abrupt movements.. if you spend 2-3 times a day with them, you can gain their trust quickly..
    For an adult feral cat, it can take longer to gain her trust but it is possible.The thing, is she knows you are the food source, so she will always come back.
    The hand feeding is the best way to gain their trust, just be at their level so they won't be scared..with time and patience, they will be in your house sooner than you think;)
    Try to move the bowl/food dish close to your place every time you give them food..
    It worked for me in no time...

Advertisement