If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quote for a bunch of stuff please

• 21-09-2009 2:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭

Hi John/Ash/Kenny/Dave/Nicola

My brother in law just finished building a new house and is looking for a bit of gear to kit out the house.

From what I can see he needs the following.

6 x in-ceiling speakers, 2 for bedroom and 4 for kitchen (size preferably would be no bigger than 6" in diameter.

8 x corner speakers, 4 for sitting room and 4 for office, these need wall mounts as the speaker cable is hanging in each corner

2 x 42" LCD Tv's wall mountable including the wall mounts for them. One needs to be full hd other will be conntected by a coax so doesnt matter.

Im not sure what he is gonna need at the other end of the speakers as these are not all going back to a central location,
    they are basically coming out a hole in the wall next to the tv socket in each room. Any recommendations there would be great.

As for myself, I am looking for the following items if you can get your hands on them....
    Optoma HD20 (899 pounds on richer) or HD200X (899 euro on Komplett) Projector, is there a major difference?
    Wall mount for the projector, this will be going on an angled ceiling so whatever your recommendations would be.
    Logitech Harmony 895 Remote (basically need a remote to work through walls and control my amp upstairs.
    TECHLINK OVID OV95 tv stand (169.95 pounds on richer)
    Onkyo TX-SR707EB - unless you have any good clearance or ex-display 7.1 amps with a powered second zone.

If you could let me know if you can get the above and pm or reply with a price or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    B~

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Hi Bazual

Well on the TV front I can help you no worries.

The 42PFL7404 and 42PFL8404 have been the smash hits of the latest Philips TV range.
    You'll see no end of praise for both sets on Boards.
    The 42PFL7404 is priced for Boardies at €810 with 3 year warranty and the 42PFL8404 is priced at €900 with 4 year warranty.

we have a very simple fixed wall mount call the MAX bracket which sells for €75 and will support both sets no worries.

Both are on display if you or your Bro-in-law want to call in to discuss their finer points of the TV's or even just to get an eyes on it.

I do have a cheaper and more expensive model as well.
    If you give me a list of needs, wants and desires for your TV I'll narrow the choice down for you

Give me a buzz on 01 474 0788 if I can help with aything TV wise

John or the Richer guys are the best guys to chat to the rest about of your AV needs, thry live and breath that stuff.

atb
    Ash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Hi Bazual

Well on the TV front I can help you no worries.

The 42PFL7404 and 42PFL8404 have been the smash hits of the latest Philips TV range.
    You'll see no end of praise for both sets on Boards.
    The 42PFL7404 is priced for Boardies at €810 with 3 year warranty and the 42PFL8404 is priced at €900 with 4 year warranty.

we have a very simple fixed wall mount call the MAX bracket which sells for €75 and will support both sets no worries.

Both are on display if you or your Bro-in-law want to call in to discuss their finer points of the TV's or even just to get an eyes on it.

I do have a cheaper and more expensive model as well.
    If you give me a list of needs, wants and desires for your TV I'll narrow the choice down for you

Give me a buzz on 01 474 0788 if I can help with aything TV wise

John or the Richer guys are the best guys to chat to the rest about of your AV needs, thry live and breath that stuff.

atb
    Ash

Thanks for the response Ash, I will let the brother in law know about the tvs. As far as i know one will be hooked up to a sky box and the other will just be hooked up to a coax piped from sky. He said just something reasonably thin and tidy.

Hopefully the Richer Guys will be able to sort out the other stuff, especially mine, thats the important stuff hahaha.

B~

Hi Folks,

Big thanks to John/Kenny/Ash/Nicola for sorting out my order.

Huge thanks to Kenny for getting the onkyo 807 shipped late thursday, I got it on Friday and was playing with it all weekend. Finally figured out how to get the zones working. I'm lookin for some advice about connecting the amp and let me know if I should go elsewhere for this info. Is there an easy adapter or connection i can use when swapping out speaker cable in the connectors at the back. I basically have 3 zones set up at the mo, but when i want to use the 5.1 in the cinema room I need to unhook the zone (kitchen) speaker cables are connect the rear into them. Is there something i can use that just plugs in rather than having to pull out the amp unscrew connectors and thread the cable around etc. Or alternatively if you have any other ideas let me know please.

Thanks to Ash and Nicola for sorting out the pronto remote, got a call from the courier so that should be with me when i go home, and the wife wont be giving out about not being able to turn the volume of the speakers downstairs as the amp is upstairs.

Great service as per usual folks.

B~

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭Obskure

Bazual,
    I'm not 100% but I think you're looking for Banana Plugs.

Hi Obskure,

I thought it was a banana plug when i ordered it as i had some at home but cant seem to find anywhere to connect to it.
    They dont fit in the end and you cant take out the small black bit in the middle. When you unscrew the connectors it just seems to be to big a gap for a banana plug plus the screw gets in the way so I cant see anything but the speaker cable to use.

here is a good pic of the amp from the back

If anyone has any other suggestions can they let me know.

Thanks

B~

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Hi Bazual,

Those 'black bits' do come out. Gently use a screw to remove them then you
    will be able to use banana plugs. I had the same puzzlement when I got my Onkyo 605 some time ago. Onkyo and speaker manufacturers fit these 'blocks' as banana plugs are apparently not meant to be used in the EU, go figure.

So following the above and being very careful you can use banana plugs.

However, it seems to me what you need is some kind of switching unit to avoid having to pull the amp out and pull out connectiosn. Over time I reckon you'll break something or have to tighten the wire/plugs many times as they will come loose.

I'll leave it to the wiser folks to advise on possibilities. But the RS crowd (John/Kenny) do custom installs, so if a smart option exists they will know.

Cheers,
    MAJJ

MAJJ wrote: »
    Hi Bazual,

Those 'black bits' do come out. Gently use a screw to remove them then you
    will be able to use banana plugs. I had the same puzzlement when I got my Onkyo 605 some time ago. Onkyo and speaker manufacturers fit these 'blocks' as banana plugs are apparently not meant to be used in the EU, go figure.

So following the above and being very careful you can use banana plugs.

However, it seems to me what you need is some kind of switching unit to avoid having to pull the amp out and pull out connectiosn. Over time I reckon you'll break something or have to tighten the wire/plugs many times as they will come loose.

I'll leave it to the wiser folks to advise on possibilities. But the RS crowd (John/Kenny) do custom installs, so if a smart option exists they will know.

Cheers,
    MAJJ

Thanks a mill MAJJ, they do look like they should come out alright, ill give one another bash tonight and let you know how i get on. I know I will still have the same prob with swapping them but at least this will make life alot easier than it is at the moment.

Thanks again.

B~

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

No problem, I remember being terrified of breaking something when I had mine. I used a screw at a slight angle it gripped the plastic and then popped out. The banana plugs then needed a bit of encouragement but did go in once I had some confidence that my approach was correct.

Enjoy, sounds like you are going to have a great few months and won't mind it getting dark!!

• Company Representative Posts: 9,470 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Yep, Onkyo think that we are going to plug our 2 pin mains plugs into the back of our 807's and zap ourselves to death (what do you mean we don't have 2 pin plugs in Ireland or the UK - What do you mean that even if we did find a 2 pin plug that we would not kill ourselves as 'ahem' there is no maoins output from the speaker outlets)

Anyway, I have not had a chance to play with the 807 but they should come out if you gently prise them out with a small screwdriver - H O W E V E R always be careful when you are using 4mm / Banana plugs that you don't short them when you are taking them in/out - my advice would be to ensure the unit is ALWAYS switched off when you are making any connection (BOOM/Fizz = expensive)

If you need some 4mm's just drop us a line and we will sort you out - £4.99 a pair!

ATB and thanks guys for all the help - Saturday jobs anyone??

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭Obskure

ATB and thanks guys for all the help - Saturday jobs anyone??

John Mc

I live for this kind of stuff. Don't think it would pay to travel to the big smoke for 8 hours though (In Mayo). Cheers!

Off topic: Have a TV - 42" PFL8404 - ordered from Nicola in the Philips Store but can't get the money to her quick enough. I'm a cash-only kinda guy. Laser:- only in a pinch!

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.